Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Water Hammer
Mar 25, 2011

Now just ease it shut reeeeeal slow there...

Val Helmethead posted:

That is the ugliest helmet/shield I've ever seen.

"Did anyone ever tell you you look like a penis with that little hat on?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Guess who spent their entire weekend working a 7k+ acre woods fire?

The blackhawk door guy waved at me when they flew over once. :unsmith:

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm about to take my State of Michigan Fire Fighter I&II exam next week, the written and practical.

Has anyone took the exams in the last 2 years?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Some vids:

http://www.youtube.com/user/invision620#p/u/0/qKpyQ30AVaw

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

You can keep those wildfires.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

You can keep those wildfires.

Aw, come on.

In one of the videos, I show the fire down a road, then pan to the right and show where it spotted. It's at least 150 feet away. This thing is huge (it's still going) but there honestly wasn't a lot for us to do except protect structures. (So, a whole lot of sitting around basically.) Forest Service and NPS did basically all of the real work, so hats off to those guys.

Wish I had a video of the blackhawks dumping water though, it was pretty cool.

e:If you ever have the misfortune of showing up to one of these, bring a sleeping bag. Hosebeds arent as comfy as they look.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

scanlonman posted:

I'm about to take my State of Michigan Fire Fighter I&II exam next week, the written and practical.

Has anyone took the exams in the last 2 years?

I took the Ontario equivalent last year and thought it was pretty straight forward and not very difficult (this is firefighting, not brain surgery). Just study your IFSTA 5th ed. and you'll be fine.

Anyone have any recommendations for a multi-tool/rescue knife? I Want something handy I can keep in my bunker gear pocket.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

My sir, what a nice collection of magnesium and oxycetalene bottles you have burning in your front yard.

e:and a trashcan literally full of aerosol cans.

invision fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 26, 2011

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

invision posted:

My sir, what a nice collection of magnesium and oxycetalene bottles you have burning in your front yard.

e:and a trashcan literally full of aerosol cans.

How much firefighting experience do you have?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Not a whole lot. But this guys frontyard resembled junkyard. There were close to 50 oxyacetalene bottles, a few 50 gallon dums of diesel and a shitload of magnesium in a 20x20 space that touched his front door. It just blows my mind that people live like that.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Anyone else become super conscious of every single freakin' sprinkler, fire extinguisher, hydrant, pull alarm, ect. since taking a class on fire inspection? The first thing I thought when I went to see my sister's new house was "oh good, it's new construction and built with sprinklers".

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
A buddy of mine is dropping applications as a firefighter/medic with PG County in Maryland and Fairfax County in Virginia, both seem like pretty solid locks for him. His question is as follows: which is a better place to work?

He says he's been unable to find anything out for certain about the quality of the work environments, and I figured I'd ask on here.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

ReebTop posted:

A buddy of mine is dropping applications as a firefighter/medic with PG County in Maryland and Fairfax County in Virginia, both seem like pretty solid locks for him. His question is as follows: which is a better place to work?

He says he's been unable to find anything out for certain about the quality of the work environments, and I figured I'd ask on here.

Which would he rather live closer to?

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

senor punk posted:

Which would he rather live closer to?

He's okay with an hour or so commute. Says he's already looked around Fairfax's area for accommodations.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

invision posted:

Not a whole lot. But this guys frontyard resembled junkyard. There were close to 50 oxyacetalene bottles, a few 50 gallon dums of diesel and a shitload of magnesium in a 20x20 space that touched his front door. It just blows my mind that people live like that.

I'll never forget the pickup truck burning on the highway with a big hunk of magnesium going under the dash and a guy sprinting away from the bed with two bigass cans of fuel.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
Maybe you guys can answer better than AI here: During fire training, when they got to class D fires (self-combusting metals and the like), they warned us to be cautious of old cars with magnesium in the block (some old VW's I think, and a handful of others), because if the engine or rim cracked during the crash, you could end up with such a fire and not be aware of it. Has anyone here heard of that happening, or was that another "my friend's cousin's sister in law once heard..." legend? I find it difficult to believe that any manufacturer would not bother to use a non-terrifyingly-dangerous alloy of magnesium. Wikipedia offers anecdotal evidence of magnesium alloy tire rims without a citation, so that's useless.

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 30, 2011

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Revolvyerom posted:

Maybe you guys can answer better than AI here: During fire training, when they got to class D fires (self-combusting metals and the like), they warned us to be cautious of old cars with magnesium in the block (some old VW's I think, and a handful of others), because if the engine or rim cracked during the crash, you could end up with such a fire and not be aware of it. Has anyone here heard of that happening, or was that another "my friend's cousin's sister in law once heard..." legend? I find it difficult to believe that any manufacturer would not bother to use a non-terrifyingly-dangerous alloy of magnesium. Wikipedia offers anecdotal evidence of magnesium alloy tire rims without a citation, so that's useless.

There are quite a few cars, including newer models, that have magnesium somewhere in the frame, block, etc. I know that recent era chevy trucks have some in the seat assemblies.
Now, I've never heard of it self igniting, but if you have a car fire the magnesium burns quite spectacularly. Your options then are either to let it burn or drown the piss out of it.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

Revolvyerom posted:

Just did car fires last week in training. They warned us of some cars potentially having magnesium, particularly old VW bugs as well as some transport trucks (I want to say there might be magnesium in the air brake assemblies but I can't remember).

All our pumpers have an electronic foam injector & proportioner on the pump panel. So once a line is pulled and charged, all the pump operator has to do is push a button and we get foam out of the nozzle. So in case there is some magnesium in a car, the foam helps with the surround and drown theory for fighting Class D fires.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Crazy Dutchman posted:

There are quite a few cars, including newer models, that have magnesium somewhere in the frame, block, etc. I know that recent era chevy trucks have some in the seat assemblies.
Now, I've never heard of it self igniting, but if you have a car fire the magnesium burns quite spectacularly. Your options then are either to let it burn or drown the piss out of it.
I'll count myself lucky then! Thanks :) Does it not burn hot enough to convert the water into H2 + O2 like straight magnesium does?

smooth.operator posted:

Just did car fires last week in training. They warned us of some cars potentially having magnesium, particularly old VW bugs as well as some transport trucks (I want to say there might be magnesium in the air brake assemblies but I can't remember).

All our pumpers have an electronic foam injector & proportioner on the pump panel. So once a line is pulled and charged, all the pump operator has to do is push a button and we get foam out of the nozzle. So in case there is some magnesium in a car, the foam helps with the surround and drown theory for fighting Class D fires.
Exactly the same as we were told and trained, I just hadn't actually seen it happen, but my experience was only a few years on a small island.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Revolvyerom posted:

I'll count myself lucky then! Thanks :) Does it not burn hot enough to convert the water into H2 + O2 like straight magnesium does?
Exactly the same as we were told and trained, I just hadn't actually seen it happen, but my experience was only a few years on a small island.

If you put enough water on it fast enough it will cool the fire fast enough to stop the reaction and the fire. I doubt it would work on pure magnesium if it were burning but it works well enough on the alloys in automobiles. It does make a pretty light show when you apply water at first though.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I recently applied to my local fire department for full-time employment and got a letter inviting me to a "Pre-Employment General Aptitude Examination". Is that just a fancy way of saying "interview"? What can I expect at it, and anything in particular to be aware of? If it's just an interview and information session, what questions could I expect that would be different from standard job interviews?

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...

Revolvyerom posted:

...Has anyone here heard of that happening, or was that another "my friend's cousin's sister in law once heard..." legend?

This was one of the first videos that I thought of when you said that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUmqhIVW3cM

Also for 50 points, who can point out what else is wrong in the video?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Posts Only Secrets posted:

This was one of the first videos that I thought of when you said that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUmqhIVW3cM

Also for 50 points, who can point out what else is wrong in the video?

one person on a line and no scba?

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I recently applied to my local fire department for full-time employment and got a letter inviting me to a "Pre-Employment General Aptitude Examination". Is that just a fancy way of saying "interview"? What can I expect at it, and anything in particular to be aware of? If it's just an interview and information session, what questions could I expect that would be different from standard job interviews?

That sounds like it is just a written test, which is the first step in most FD hiring processes. If you have half a brain, it will be cake.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
I swear to motherloving Jesus Almighty, if this rope doesn't get in this bag this instant, I will hang myself with it. How the gently caress do I pack a rope bag? Why has nobody ever told me how to do this? And why is the info not online?

Is it so common sense that I shouldn't even have to ask?

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

ReebTop posted:

I swear to motherloving Jesus Almighty, if this rope doesn't get in this bag this instant, I will hang myself with it. How the gently caress do I pack a rope bag? Why has nobody ever told me how to do this? And why is the info not online?

Is it so common sense that I shouldn't even have to ask?

It's easy enough that someone should have showed you. You basically just coil it in the bag.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Fun with messed up run cards: A "smell of smoke outside" call got toned out for 2 engines, 1 truck, and 3 other departments sent for mutual aid.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Would a HAZMAT Technician Endorsement from Natl FireFighters Assoc/DOD mean anything as far as jobs with some sort of Firefighting division in the real world? I actually find all the HAZMAT response stuff pretty fascinating and can see it not being the worst job in the world.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Would a HAZMAT Technician Endorsement from Natl FireFighters Assoc/DOD mean anything as far as jobs with some sort of Firefighting division in the real world? I actually find all the HAZMAT response stuff pretty fascinating and can see it not being the worst job in the world.

Transferring DOD firefighting certifications varies by state. In Texas if your cert is IFSAC certified then all your have to do is fill out paperwork and pay fees. DOD/ProBoard/whatever else would probably transfer but I think you at least have to do the skills testing if not take the written test as well.

Already having HAZMAT Tech might benefit you once you get hiring, but I don't know of any departments that require it or give you preference for having it during the hiring process.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Oh so this is when all those tones were gonna come in

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Isn't that always how it is? They told us in training that something like 30% of all calls to our stations are followed by another call in the next 5 minutes (small town).

When it rains, it pours.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

YOU GO, WE GO!

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Revolvyerom posted:

Isn't that always how it is? They told us in training that something like 30% of all calls to our stations are followed by another call in the next 5 minutes (small town).

When it rains, it pours.

"Hm, what's the in the distance? Sirens?. I guess I can use some fire trucks here too."

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Marx posted:

"Hm, what's the in the distance? Sirens?. I guess I can use some fire trucks here too."

*hears sirens in distance*
'Welp, better call an ambulance for this hangnail that has been bothering me for 3 years'

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

"Hey, my toddler's got a fever. Same one he's had the last two days. Guess I'd better call an ambulance to the hospital, it seems more urgent somehow now."

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Fire 1 practical on saturday dammmn almost there

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Jaws class today. I hate wrecks, but it's kinda hard to pass up and opportunity to go rip some vehicles apart for free.

e:good luck on the practical.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks, its weird in that the more we review the BETTER I actually feel about it so by tomorrow it should just be business as usual. I'm going to sleep in that drat yellow helmet when I get it (no more rolling hose! no more "get the fan"!) :swoon:

Loco179
May 18, 2008

Revolvyerom posted:

A ton of them have it in various parts. See it all the time. Its pretty funny to hit it with a line. We just soak it anyway. Most of our engines do not have built it foam systems so that is not a option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

e:Since we've been talking about gear lately, what kind of helmet lights do you guys use? I'm thinking about getting a new one since my wal-mart energizer LED headlight melted. I saw a pretty neat looking one on the internet a while back that used the blackjack holder, and had a blue LED on the back of the flashlight to make it easier for people to follow you, but it was like $130+.

Do not be that guy.

They melt too much. Get a good chest light and a light box with a strap.

• Locked thread