Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I need a kitty chew toy. Figaro has decided the following need to be gnawed on: my lap top, the spokes on my bicycle, the corner of one of the drawers in my dressing room, the bell on his collar (that he takes off all the time), the buttons on any article of clothing I own, the doorknob and the handle to the old ice box in my kitchen.

He isn't teething, he's too old for that, and his teeth were great according to the vet so I guess he's just strange. Any suggestions for a cat friendly object that he can munch on that is hard (since he seems to gravitate towards that) yet won't kill his teeth or cause other issues?

I've had a chewer of cables before but never one that seemed to want to supplement his diet with metal objects so I'm sort of at a loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turgon
Aug 18, 2003

I think I'm lost
Just wanted to update and say the kittens are taken care of. I learned you shouldn't feed strays, unless you want a litter of kittens on your patio.

Two healthy eyes.

http://img.imgcake.com/1001284JPGan.jpg

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

"turgon" posted:

Just wanted to update and say the kittens are taken care of. I learned you shouldn't feed strays, unless you want a litter of kittens on your patio.

Two healthy eyes.

http://img.imgcake.com/1001284JPGan.jpg

That sounds like a reason to feed strays :colbert:

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
So we have two cats, male and female. The male is about 7 months old, the female is about 11 months. The get along great save for the male trying out his sexing techniques (fixed, just jumps on her back and bites her neck) on the lady and generally being more hyper, but they kitten pile and never have real fights.

But I've since found two spots on the wall where one peed/marked/sprayed a small (maybe dollar coin size?) urine on the wall. I've been using Natures Miracle Adanced to get this ended before it even becomes a problem.

I even used a carpet cleaner with the stuff three times and let it soak in due to previous pets, but since then the second two markings showed up.

Any suggestions?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
me and my girlfriends cats have fleas so we decided to get some frontline. We put some on the older cat Mariah, and she is reacting fine. We must have put it on too low on our youngest cat Velvet. It seems like she licked it because she is now acting kind of weird and foaming from the mouth. Is this a normal reaction or Should we be worried and take her to a vet?

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 4, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Either call or go to an e-vet immediately. Google suggests this is a side effect of ingesting it but google isn't a vet either.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I'd like some advice on my 1.5 year old cat (Peppermint) that I recently adopted. She's been living with me for about a week, and has been hiding the entire time except for when I'm out or asleep. She seemed very shy in the shelter, so I was expecting this, and am prepared to wait her out, but I'd like to know anything I can do to ease her transition.

I've seen the advice in a few places about confining her to one room. I disregarded this initially because the only rooms in my apartment with doors are the bathroom and bedroom, and obviously I need to use those, so I couldn't just "give" one to her. Now I'm wondering if it would be helpful to move her things into my bedroom and close the door? She's started hiding under my bed, so this wouldn't be difficult. If I do this, should I leave the door open while I'm in there in case she wants to get away from me?

edit: Also, she mostly eats/poops while I'm asleep. Would having her food and litterbox in my bedroom interfere with this?

Edly fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 4, 2011

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
So anyone know how to clean off my cat's dirty butt and get him to start cleaning it himself? He honestly just tried to sit down on my lap and I got a face full of DIRTY BUTT.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Aculard posted:

So anyone know how to clean off my cat's dirty butt and get him to start cleaning it himself? He honestly just tried to sit down on my lap and I got a face full of DIRTY BUTT.

A week or so ago my cat just got out of his litter box and came running up to me to get on my lap. Lucky I looked because he has poop hanging out of his rear end. I had to take him to the bathroom and wipe his butt, it hasn't happened since but holy poo poo.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

HandsomeBen posted:

A week or so ago my cat just got out of his litter box and came running up to me to get on my lap. Lucky I looked because he has poop hanging out of his rear end. I had to take him to the bathroom and wipe his butt, it hasn't happened since but holy poo poo.

POO GHOSTS :iiam:

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

HandsomeBen posted:

Yeah, but he's got poop on his butt constantly. I know for sure he's not too fat to because he licks around every soiled part. He's always had this problem but it's becoming a nuisance now that the two kittens my roommates have are teaching him how to stick his butt in my face for attention.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Aculard posted:

Yeah, but he's got poop on his butt constantly. I know for sure he's not too fat to because he licks around every soiled part. He's always had this problem but it's becoming a nuisance now that the two kittens my roommates have are teaching him how to stick his butt in my face for attention.
Is he a longhair? What kind of dirty is it? You may need to trim that jungle down.

Also, if poo is always on his butt because it's kinda soft/runny, you should probably check with a vet for that.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

duckfarts posted:

Is he a longhair? What kind of dirty is it? You may need to trim that jungle down.

Also, if poo is always on his butt because it's kinda soft/runny, you should probably check with a vet for that.

Last vet said he was in good condition, and he eats blue buffalo now. He's not longhaired, he just has it on the exposed skin of his butt rather than the fur.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Aculard posted:

Last vet said he was in good condition, and he eats blue buffalo now. He's not longhaired, he just has it on the exposed skin of his butt rather than the fur.

I guess what I'm sayin' is you should check his dook out and make sure it's logs 'n pebbles instead of amorphous blobs when scoopin' time comes 'round(your vet can't see that). Other than that, I dunno - catnip his anus? I don't know how cats can even lick that poo poo in the first place.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

duckfarts posted:

I guess what I'm sayin' is you should check his dook out and make sure it's logs 'n pebbles instead of amorphous blobs when scoopin' time comes 'round(your vet can't see that). Other than that, I dunno - catnip his anus? I don't know how cats can even lick that poo poo in the first place.

Yeah, it's log like. I know the two kittens have some pretty nasty shits, but their buttholes are pristine. I've noticed that it's two spots around my cat's butt that just seems to get clogged up with poop, so hopefully if I can pin him down and find something soft/blunt to clean those folds out with it should be fine. He won't tolerate me trying to soak his butt in warm water.

Urgh gross. I am talking about my cat's butt in such detail.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Get a little spray water bottle and give his rear end a spritz. He'll lick off the water and learn to clean his rear end all in one.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I ended up adopting just the orange and white kitten, since it turned out that some other family called dibs on his little black brother at the last moment. Unfortunately, out of the two sisters he has left, one is really boring and the other is a hyperactive rear end in a top hat well beyond kitten standards.

I was planning to find him a second friend elsewhere, but I also just realized that it'd be a financial kick in the rear end. Despite the plummeting exchange rate, most high-quality pet supplies are still 1.5-2 times more expensive here in Canada than in the US. I was planning to just import, but while buying stuff for the first kitten I found out that it's not very feasible. Litter is heavy and gets rammed by high international shipping rates; the smallest things will arbitrarily be sent by $20 base shipping or not at all; and it turns out the average person cannot import cat food over the Canada/US border at all due to meat regulations.

I was stupidly budgeting going off of estimates from the US, so it turned out that keeping my one kitten is going to run me almost as much as I was expecting for two. Don't get me wrong here, he's completely worth every penny; but I want to know how absolutely necessary having two is. I definitely don't want him to be lonely! But I might also have to start compromising on things like food quality with two, and I don't want to do that unless the extra company is way more important.

If it is important, should I look for cats that are in the same age range? Make sure they meet each other before doing anything? Adopt one of his siblings even though I don't like them much?

If it's not important, what can I do to make things better for him (other than the obvious of spending as much time playing with him as I can)? Any particularly awesome toys for alone cats, like, I don't know, robot mice or something?

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Speaking of poo, I need some advice. My kitten (she's about 6 months old) has been very, very good about her litter box until Tuesday. She poo poo in the chair shortly after I left to get a pizza. My wife cleaned up the mess and she didn't poo poo again until this morning, when, again, she did in the same spot. She pees in her box, no problem.
The last two days she will start digging in the chair cushion and, without warning, squat and poo. We have no idea. A few websites said to put her in a pen with her box and water for about a week, letting her out for meals and a little play, so that's what we're doing. Supposedly it will help her "re-learn" the box for pooping purposes.

Oh, and before I go any further:

- Age-6 Months
- Sex-Female
- How long have you had your cat?-5 months
- Is your cat spayed or neutered?-Yes
- What food do you use?-Dry kitten chow, Purina, I think.
- When was your last vet visit?-two or three months ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both?-Indoors
- How many pets in your household?-Just her
- How many litter boxes do you have?-One, a boda dome

I did some research and it could be territorial marking (there are outdoor cats around the neighborhood, and next door), the need for a second litter box, or a lack of security. The whole thing has been so sudden that we are really confused. Again, it's just pooping outside her box; she urinates in her box fine. Any advice would really be appreciated.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Did you clean it with an enzygmatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle? Otherwise she can probably still smell it and that's why she's using that same spot. If she's eating and drinking and peeing ok, adding another litter box could help too.

Is the poo formed?

Also, you might want to think about some better food, just a friendly suggestion.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

RheaConfused posted:

Did you clean it with an enzygmatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle? Otherwise she can probably still smell it and that's why she's using that same spot. If she's eating and drinking and peeing ok, adding another litter box could help too.

Is the poo formed?

Also, you might want to think about some better food, just a friendly suggestion.

Have not picked up Nature's Miracle yet. We will. I will pull out her old litter box and see if that helps.

Poo is formed.

Going back on the better food is a good suggestion as well. I'll most likely go and pick up the Blue Buffalo stuff she liked.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Grumples does the same thing - wees on the toilet, sometimes poos on the floor. I have no idea why.

OhJeezAllSleeves
Dec 21, 2010
Since this is where I heard about it I figured I'd post my thanks here. Bought a furminator brush the other day and holy poo poo! I can't believe how much fur I managed to brush out of my fluff ball Cleo. She doesn't normally like being brushed but I managed to get quite a big amount from her tail and back last night.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Dear Pet Island; My kitty is eating up cables and I want her to stop. She has learned to climb up and behind computer screens and gnaw on cables she finds there and I have no way of stopping her when I'm asleep. She doesn't dare go near the cables when I'm up, but there are so many dense sets of tiny bite marks over expensive stuff like XLR cables.

I'm thinking of getting some chew toy, but don't know how to get her away from my cables after making her love the chew toy. Any advice on how to train a now 18 months old little cute female kitty who has a maniac obsession with stealing drinking straws out of unfinished d rinks?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

ilifin posted:

Dear Pet Island; My kitty is eating up cables and I want her to stop. She has learned to climb up and behind computer screens and gnaw on cables she finds there and I have no way of stopping her when I'm asleep. She doesn't dare go near the cables when I'm up, but there are so many dense sets of tiny bite marks over expensive stuff like XLR cables.

I'm thinking of getting some chew toy, but don't know how to get her away from my cables after making her love the chew toy. Any advice on how to train a now 18 months old little cute female kitty who has a maniac obsession with stealing drinking straws out of unfinished d rinks?
You should get cord wraps/protectors from a computer-y store and Bitter Apple or a similar spray from a pet store. Wrap everything and then spray it to death. A lot of the sprays wear off pretty quickly, but if you reapply regularly for a while, she'll probably figure it out.

Does she seem to have preferences about the cords? For example, my cord-eater likes skinny ones the best, so if I cover them in extra wide cord wraps, they're less appealing. He also doesn't like them if I bundle them all together wherever possible -- dangling free is his preference.

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

One of my cats developed a dry patch of skin on his back about a week and a half ago, near his tail. It seems like the hair there has gotten gray/brittle and broken off, and the skin feels rough. He's not scratching it, there's nothing oozing, and he isn't visibly bothered by me poking around there. It's neither improving, nor getting any worse.

I have a vet appointment on Monday, but does anyone have any idea what it might be in the meantime? Ringworm/something fungal? My other cat is fine and I haven't found ringworm on myself.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Abbeh posted:

Get a little spray water bottle and give his rear end a spritz. He'll lick off the water and learn to clean his rear end all in one.

Didn't work. He just stares at me, licks his leg and goes back to doing whatever.

I shoved him rear end up into the tub faucet running warm water, and I'm watching to see if he cleans his butt at all now. Seems he's just licking his legs :sigh:

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

Scurvy posted:

One of my cats developed a dry patch of skin on his back about a week and a half ago, near his tail. It seems like the hair there has gotten gray/brittle and broken off, and the skin feels rough. He's not scratching it, there's nothing oozing, and he isn't visibly bothered by me poking around there. It's neither improving, nor getting any worse.

I have a vet appointment on Monday, but does anyone have any idea what it might be in the meantime? Ringworm/something fungal? My other cat is fine and I haven't found ringworm on myself.

Update! Not ringworm, not from parasites. Vet thinks it might be allergy-related, so we're trying some Atopica on him for a month to see what happens. I'm just glad it doesn't seem to be bothering him in any way.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Which cat toys have you guys had the most luck with? So far, the cat dancer, a laser pointer, and to a lesser extent atomic bouncing balls result in the most :supaburn: reactions for my kitten. Still in the process of ordering that "da bird" thing, so I'll see how that stacks up.

Also, the furminator is awesome, and so is world's best cat litter.

Peach
Mar 13, 2005

not only am I right, I'm a better penpal than you are.

Goddamn posted:

Which cat toys have you guys had the most luck with? So far, the cat dancer, a laser pointer, and to a lesser extent atomic bouncing balls result in the most :supaburn: reactions for my kitten. Still in the process of ordering that "da bird" thing, so I'll see how that stacks up.

First time I bought out 'da bird' for my kitten she would not shut the gently caress up. I just sat on the couch and held the rod out so the feathers dangled and she circled it, mewing. If I moved it around, she followed and continued her circles. She just would NOT stop looking at it.. even after she pooped, she'd lick her butt once or twice then stare at da bird for a good 10 seconds before resuming her cleaning. I tried putting it away thinking maybe it creeped her out but she stopped cleaning altogether and ran and pounced on it, purring loudly and rubbing her cheek against the feathers. I don't even know.

Pipe cleaners are awesome too, I have never met a cat or kitten who doesn't love chasing those, or batting them around if you coil them up like a spring. I also had heaps of success getting one of those cat tunnels that make crinkly noise - I come home every day and it's on the opposite side of my lounge from her rolling around in it killing one of her tiny rattling mouse toys.

This isn't a cat toy per se, but during shower time, she's always front'n'center on my shower mat, pawing at water drops running down the door for the first few minutes. Then she stares at me until I get out.
I hate that game. :smith:

Wrath of Zidane
Jul 9, 2006
Zidannnnne!
Okay, my first real cat incident :(

We have a 3 year old cat named Clementine, and she got 2 new friends a month ago, both about 2 months old. We took the kittens in for their boosters shots today, and when we got back, Clementine was hissing and batting at the kittens with any chance she got!

Does she sense the vaccines? Was it something at the vet?
Did she think she was finally rid of them? We worked so hard at integrating them and everything was fine until now :(

Included are pictures of Clementine and the kittens! (grey = Stella, orange = Cosmos).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

"Wrath of Zidane" posted:

Okay, my first real cat incident :(

We have a 3 year old cat named Clementine, and she got 2 new friends a month ago, both about 2 months old. We took the kittens in for their boosters shots today, and when we got back, Clementine was hissing and batting at the kittens with any chance she got!

Does she sense the vaccines? Was it something at the vet?
Did she think she was finally rid of them? We worked so hard at integrating them and everything was fine until now :(

Included are pictures of Clementine and the kittens! (grey = Stella, orange = Cosmos).

I got this too with my 2 cats, including when they both went to the vet. My theory is that the kittens smell like the vet(or "outside") now, so your other cat's all confused and territorial about it. Just give it a week or two and remember that cats are stupid.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

duckfarts posted:

I got this too with my 2 cats, including when they both went to the vet. My theory is that the kittens smell like the vet(or "outside") now, so your other cat's all confused and territorial about it. Just give it a week or two and remember that cats are stupid.

Probably even more like a day or two.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
If they have a particular blanket or pillow they like to sleep on, try rubbing it all over them. They smell different and she'll be reacting like that until they smell "normal" again.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Peach posted:

First time I bought out 'da bird' for my kitten she would not shut the gently caress up. I just sat on the couch and held the rod out so the feathers dangled and she circled it, mewing. If I moved it around, she followed and continued her circles. She just would NOT stop looking at it.. even after she pooped, she'd lick her butt once or twice then stare at da bird for a good 10 seconds before resuming her cleaning. I tried putting it away thinking maybe it creeped her out but she stopped cleaning altogether and ran and pounced on it, purring loudly and rubbing her cheek against the feathers. I don't even know.

Da Bird is a big loving hit here too, to the point that it has to live in a closet or my one cat will go out of her mind trying to play with it literally nonstop. And she growls if the other cats try to play with it.

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007

Aculard posted:

Didn't work. He just stares at me, licks his leg and goes back to doing whatever.

I shoved him rear end up into the tub faucet running warm water, and I'm watching to see if he cleans his butt at all now. Seems he's just licking his legs :sigh:

We had this problem with one of our kittens. Basically any time he had a dirty butt we would rub it down with a wet paper towel to clean him up but also get him annoyed enough to finish the job himself. Eventually he started cleaning himself more regularly. The rubbing is closer to a licking feel so you're kind of teaching him to do it on his own. That's my theory at least. :eng101:

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Similar problem here - he licks sometimes, but just not often enough. You can save yourself a bit of headache by keeping a pack of unscented baby wipes around, so you don't have to tear off and wet paper towels all the time.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Found a couple of cool discoveries.

For macs: http://www.math.osu.edu/~fowler/software/cat-nip/

For PC's: http://www.bitboost.com/pawsense/

The mac one took a bit of messing around to get it to work, but it does what its advertised as doing: Locks the keyboard whenever the cat jumps on the keyboard (which it does 2-3 times a day, usually when I'm in the middle of something important.). It can hook to growl, so in theory you could rig something together to get it to yell at the cat.

The PC one apparently can hiss and make absurd harmonica noises to irritate the cat so it gets off the keyboard. But I havent tried it.

Now I just need to figure out how to stop the kitty from attacking my mouse. So far the only mouse she's killed in this house has been the optical, rather than the fuzzy disease bearing, variety.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Goddamn posted:

My cats aren't ones for balls or anything that didn't require my direct involvement (Da Bird, laser pointer, etc)... until I found the perfect storm of cat toys. They're plush crinkle balls with a whole bunch of feathers and a bunch of catnip inside. Riker and Geordie went batshit for them! Those are now a special treat for whatever grooming thing they don't like me doing (all of them, those little bastards), cos at 2 bucks a pop they better be loving special!

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

When my cats were kittens they absolutely loved plush dog toys (the ones that look like squirrels, ducks, etc.). The toys were about the same size they were, so they'd wrestle with them and drag them around the house like they had just taken down a zebra or something.

Now that they're grown up they're too cool for baby toys :mad: They like any small soft mousey toys; I keep them in a basket on the floor and find them all over the apartment when I get home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Goddamn posted:

Laser pointer is okay, cat gets easily distracted though and loses interest.

Rope covered balls that rattle are good, he'll bat them around but he's not much of a footballer.

Mouse that squeaks, it's supposed to simulate hunting behavior, he's not a big fan.

Feathers on a string? You mean, that thing on the top shelf in the closet? The closet that the cat is sitting in front of from the moment I walk in the door? Yeah, that thing is worth the investment. Of course, once I start playing feather I can't stop until the cat is nearly dead (about an hour later.) Buy with caution ;)

Wrath of Zidane posted:

They just smell strangely after being handled. Happens all the time with the cats I left back in Holland, the boy will hiss for about an hour or two which is about how long it takes for the other one to stop smelling new.