Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hopefully Google can fix it. How's 3G/4G (if you have it)?

edit: Seems the Nexus S has USB port issues too.

Haven't really left the house with it yet, I'll post tomorrow. (I'm in Kansas City so the 4g should be pretty good).

No USB port issues at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

Haven't really left the house with it yet, I'll post tomorrow. (I'm in Kansas City so the 4g should be pretty good).

It may be the T-Mobile variant that has USB issues then. People have reported the phone loosing USB connection on a computer as recent as last month.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I realized that disabling background date sync on my Samgsung Moment gives me a respectable amount of phone use with a single charge. What exactly does this do? It doesn't seem to affect me sending and receiving text messages. On the latest version so android am I allowed to pick which programs can synch? It seems stupid to have to enable it every time I want to use market google maps.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Duckman2008 posted:

You can port immediately,just keep in mind her phone wont work till the sprint phone comes in of course. Optimus is $20 I'm store, $36 activation fee.

Or $0.01/$17 activation at Wal-Mart.

GLfortex
Apr 20, 2002
I picked up a Nexus S on Sunday and so far I have had constant wifi drop-offs as well as a barely functioning 4g radio. At home side-by-side with an Evo with full 4g signal, the Nexus just scans and disconnects. When it does connect, the signal strength is poor and typically dies after a minute or so. I am going to swap it soon and will post an update.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TheCobraEffect posted:

Whoa, can you tell me more? I bought a transform like a moron (I didn't look at this thread beforehand). I hate it and can't wait to get something else. I would love to get a Nexus S or Evo 3D. I'm well outside of my 30 day window, though. I've been a sprint customer for almost 9 years, if that matters.

Did you just say "This phone is a lovely piece of poo poo, let me buy another phone!"

Thanks.

My Epic broke first, and when I was talking to the rep and basically snapped over how much of a nightmare it has been to own this loving phone. I flat out told the rep that as much as I love Sprint's service in all aspects I'm (I was) contemplating switching to comcast mobile aka Verizon because I'd be better off eating a prorated etf+startup price on Verizon because paying for service with a crippled-out-of-the-box phone is just not worth the cost.

Basically "i am losing confidence in my ability to justify paying for services which my phone only performs mediocre at best."

And yes, resetting the upgrade resolved the issue.

Side Q: I asked the rep at the store when I got my replacement epic, if I could have TEP on it. He said yes. Is this true or is TEP more closely linked to contact terms than issuance of a new phone?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Comcast Mobile has nothing to do with Verizon. Actually, Comcast Mobile uses Clearwire's network, of which Sprint is a major investor.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GLfortex posted:

I picked up a Nexus S on Sunday and so far I have had constant wifi drop-offs as well as a barely functioning 4g radio. At home side-by-side with an Evo with full 4g signal, the Nexus just scans and disconnects. When it does connect, the signal strength is poor and typically dies after a minute or so. I am going to swap it soon and will post an update.

The wi-fi problem is the case with just about every Nexus S 4G. It's a launch issue that hopefully Google fixes soon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

My Epic broke first, and when I was talking to the rep and basically snapped over how much of a nightmare it has been to own this loving phone. I flat out told the rep that as much as I love Sprint's service in all aspects I'm (I was) contemplating switching to comcast mobile aka Verizon because I'd be better off eating a prorated etf+startup price on Verizon because paying for service with a crippled-out-of-the-box phone is just not worth the cost.

Basically "i am losing confidence in my ability to justify paying for services which my phone only performs mediocre at best."

And yes, resetting the upgrade resolved the issue.

Side Q: I asked the rep at the store when I got my replacement epic, if I could have TEP on it. He said yes. Is this true or is TEP more closely linked to contact terms than issuance of a new phone?

Anytime you get a new phone or get a phone replaced via warranty you have 30 days to add insurance.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

ThermoPhysical posted:

The wi-fi problem is the case with just about every Nexus S 4G. It's a launch issue that hopefully Google fixes soon.

4G has low reported bars but is working well. Does Google have some acknowledgement of the issue yet? It's a pretty great phone other than the wifi issue.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
So I've been using Google Voice integration with no issues until last night. I have forward texts to phone enabled and have been using the stock messaging app for texting. Sunday and Monday about 20 texts I sent weren't received and then at around 1am this morning they all went through at once.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

4G has low reported bars but is working well. Does Google have some acknowledgement of the issue yet? It's a pretty great phone other than the wifi issue.

I hope so...there's a lot of issues the Nexus S has, it seems.

I've read of speaker issues when you plug in the headphones (apparently, it's a common issue on T-Mo's verison), malfunctioning USB ports when you plug it into the computer...

I'm seriously thinking of trading it in for an EVO 4G, I mean yea the EVO probably won't get nearly as many updates as the Nexus but the Nexus has a lot of issues...

People are still mentioning the browser issue on Google's report forum thing.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Matlock posted:

Or $0.01/$17 activation at Wal-Mart.
... if walmart carries sprint in your area, that is.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Isn't it entirely possible that Google updates Android today at I/O? If so wouldn't the Nexus get it like right away?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I hope so...there's a lot of issues the Nexus S has, it seems.

I've read of speaker issues when you plug in the headphones (apparently, it's a common issue on T-Mo's verison), malfunctioning USB ports when you plug it into the computer...

I'm seriously thinking of trading it in for an EVO 4G, I mean yea the EVO probably won't get nearly as many updates as the Nexus but the Nexus has a lot of issues...

People are still mentioning the browser issue on Google's report forum thing.

The Evo has official AOSP 4G drivers and better 3rd party HDMI support than HTC ever included. It's got amazing community support, and I wouldn't be surprised if it continues getting updates for CyanogenMod until the hardware just can't run newer versions of Android.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

The Evo has official AOSP 4G drivers and better 3rd party HDMI support than HTC ever included. It's got amazing community support, and I wouldn't be surprised if it continues getting updates for CyanogenMod until the hardware just can't run newer versions of Android.

Hm...I didn't know all of that. But that would mean I'd have to root to use that, right? Is it hard to root the EVO?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hm...I didn't know all of that. But that would mean I'd have to root to use that, right? Is it hard to root the EVO?

Not even a little bit.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

I've got my nexus s and it's great. No problems with the hardware that I've found. just a really slick phone with good battery life.

I've turned on Google voice, and that's working well, but I've got a notification for a voicemail right now but nothing when I check it. I'm guessing it's a voicemail in my old sprint mailbox. Will that go away eventually? Or should I disable Google voice, delete the message, and then reenable it? Or will that cause problems?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The Grand Judabuddha posted:

I've got my nexus s and it's great. No problems with the hardware that I've found. just a really slick phone with good battery life.

I've turned on Google voice, and that's working well, but I've got a notification for a voicemail right now but nothing when I check it. I'm guessing it's a voicemail in my old sprint mailbox. Will that go away eventually? Or should I disable Google voice, delete the message, and then reenable it? Or will that cause problems?

Try calling your voicemail and deleting it from there. It might still work.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ThermoPhysical posted:

As apparently widespread as this issue is, it seems strange to me that it wasn't caught before the phone was released. Unless they knew about it and decided to release it anyway and patch it later.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Turnquiet posted:

Not even a little bit.

Do you know if that covers the newer revisions of the EVO? It's a moot point for me, since I've got a launch day EVO, but I had heard that newer models were more difficult to root. That was a while back, though...

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

brc64 posted:

As apparently widespread as this issue is, it seems strange to me that it wasn't caught before the phone was released. Unless they knew about it and decided to release it anyway and patch it later.

Yeah I'm really surprised that Google let it out the door with these issues. I'm going to give it a week or so and see if there's any acknowledgement. If not, I might return it. Feeling pretty burned.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

there are no voicemails in my Google voicemail inbox. is there a way to get to my sprint inbox without disabling Google voice?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

there are no voicemails in my Google voicemail inbox. is there a way to get to my sprint inbox without disabling Google voice?

dial your own phone number from your phone

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

nope, that gets me to my Google voice inbox.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

brc64 posted:

Do you know if that covers the newer revisions of the EVO? It's a moot point for me, since I've got a launch day EVO, but I had heard that newer models were more difficult to root. That was a while back, though...
My launch day EVO bricked, and I had it replaced. My new one is not a refurb, and I rooted it with Unrevoked. No issues.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nope, that gets me to my Google voice inbox.
Try calling someone else's Sprint number, let it go to voice mail, and hit "*" during the greeting. Then enter your phone number, followed by "#".

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

My launch day EVO bricked, and I had it replaced. My new one is not a refurb, and I rooted it with Unrevoked. No issues.

From what I've read, Sprint Evo's are no problem, but KDDI in Japan carries a flavor of the Evo and it doesn't work with the auto-root methods.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Sprint Visual Voicemal app? I restored the backup of mine from a Sense ROM but you can find the apk easily.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

gotly posted:

4G is weak inside some buildings but not bad. 3G is solid. I used it all day, checking forums, about 30 minutes of phone calls, messing around with apps and settings constantly like you would on any new phone. Sent around 50 text messages also. I was only on Wifi for a few minutes at home and it didn't drop.

I'm going to keep it. The only thing that bugs me is the speaker volume and Wifi and both of those seem like fixable things.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

4G is weak inside some buildings but not bad. 3G is solid. I used it all day, checking forums, about 30 minutes of phone calls, messing around with apps and settings constantly like you would on any new phone. Sent around 50 text messages also. I was only on Wifi for a few minutes at home and it didn't drop.

I'm going to keep it. The only thing that bugs me is the speaker volume and Wifi and both of those seem like fixable things.

I'll probably keep mine as well, the wifi seems fine for me (I have a G router, if that means anything...I'm wondering if it's just N routers). I can't test 4G as I have no signal here in Nebraska, but that's fine. 3G is perfect for me as well.

The main thing I'm worried about is the unresponsive screen as a few people on Android Central have mentioned it now.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
This might just be some funky app setup but its really bizzare

I'll be texting back and forth and suddenly I can't enter text into the default text window. I exit the app, go back and start typing and suddenly I'm in the Google search widget. I have to open and close the messaging app 3 or 4 times to enter text again.

This is on the stock messaging app with SMS Pop-up to turn on my screen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

This might just be some funky app setup but its really bizzare

I'll be texting back and forth and suddenly I can't enter text into the default text window. I exit the app, go back and start typing and suddenly I'm in the Google search widget. I have to open and close the messaging app 3 or 4 times to enter text again.

This is on the stock messaging app with SMS Pop-up to turn on my screen.

That is odd. I haven't had that problem.

It seems that the screen responsiveness issue is when trying to swipe across the screen or type on the keyboard.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Financially it makes more sense to do so on EM+, but yes, Google figured out quicky with the Nexus One that you can't sell a phone in the US without a subsidy option.

Which is why the Nexus S was also available with a $199 subsidy price for a two-year T-Mobile contract through Best Buy Mobile since day one.

If your store associates were unaware of the subsidy pricing, then yeah, I can see why you sold none.

1) The average consumer will look at pricing on the phone. Why get an Epic when a Transform is $50 less? Yes, this is stupid. Yes, we tell them why, but some people are incredibly cheap.

2) You misunderstood me. Tmobile is only carried in 1/3 of the Best Buys in the nation, but the Nexus S was carried in ALL of them. If you were 2/3 of the stores, you could only sell it unlocked for $530. Thus, we sold zero. Even though there is only 1 sku, we could not sell a Tmobile customer a Nexus S as an upgrade, we would have to order them and have them sent to their house, even though they're in our store :)

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Wow, this is an absolutely spot-on article about where Sprint is headed:

http://connectedplanetonline.com/3g4g/news/are-we-witnessing-the-resurgence-of-sprint-0510/

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

I'd have to agree. I switched to sprint on a whim for the palm pre, but my renewal came up and it made sense to stay. If I switched to AT&T or Verizon, I'd be paying more for a capped data plan and vague promises that the network is somehow better.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rent posted:

2) You misunderstood me. Tmobile is only carried in 1/3 of the Best Buys in the nation, but the Nexus S was carried in ALL of them. If you were 2/3 of the stores, you could only sell it unlocked for $530. Thus, we sold zero. Even though there is only 1 sku, we could not sell a Tmobile customer a Nexus S as an upgrade, we would have to order them and have them sent to their house, even though they're in our store :)
You're right, I misunderstood. That's lame as poo poo though, and not really Google's fault. Best Buy should've figured out some provision by which to sell them subsidized in any store that carried them. Even if the order had to be done "through another store" they could've done a store pickup option or something. Sounds like you were stuck.

Although I don't get why Google didn't distribute through T-Mobile as well with the AWS Nexus S. It is rather helpful that Sprint's version isn't stupid-special that way.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like the finally fixed the family plan Google voice integration problem with my account. However, the receiving a second call before going to voicemail bug is still in there. What other stuff do I need to watch out for?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
If Sprint is gobbling up data spectrums, will that help their voice network in the future if things switch to LTE for voice?

Ever since the $10 premium data, Sprint is getting to be a harder sale for me. ATT already does unlimted mobile to mobile with a texting plan, and Verizon does it in certain test markets, which I imagine will be nationwide soon.

Verizon 700 minutes, 2 smartphones, unlimited texting/mobile calls = $160, where Sprint would be $150. The coverage is incredibly different between the two carriers, too, and LTE blows Wimax away. While you get some neat stuff like GPS, Sprint TV, with Android and more cloud based services coming out, I don't think those are as big selling points to most people nwoadays.

I got Sprint for a Pre originally, but I might switch later down the road, as I don't really see myself sticking with them, and I seem to get about .5mbps at all times even with 5 bars of 3g where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Rent posted:

If Sprint is gobbling up data spectrums, will that help their voice network in the future if things switch to LTE for voice?

Ever since the $10 premium data, Sprint is getting to be a harder sale for me. ATT already does unlimted mobile to mobile with a texting plan, and Verizon does it in certain test markets, which I imagine will be nationwide soon.

Verizon 700 minutes, 2 smartphones, unlimited texting/mobile calls = $160, where Sprint would be $150. The coverage is incredibly different between the two carriers, too, and LTE blows Wimax away. While you get some neat stuff like GPS, Sprint TV, with Android and more cloud based services coming out, I don't think those are as big selling points to most people nwoadays.

I got Sprint for a Pre originally, but I might switch later down the road, as I don't really see myself sticking with them, and I seem to get about .5mbps at all times even with 5 bars of 3g where I live.

I agree with a lot of that, but the LTE vs Wimax argument is a more complicated one as I understand it. The issue is that while Verizon's LTE rollout is more impressive in terms of speed and I guess coverage/building penetration, Sprint's Wimax has greater capacity, meaning Sprint is less likely to have to throttle or cap bandwidth. Right now, that's not an issue for Verizon, either, but it very likely will be.

At least, that's how I've understood it.