Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Monkey Wrangler posted:

I've got regular black. And yeah, it looks amazing, but it's picking up pollen already. I foresee a lot of car washes in its future.

I'm still getting used to life without a clutch, but it's a great ride. I also nearly rear-ended someone on the freeway when they stopped short and I was futzing with the navigation system. At least I can attest to its maneuverability at highway speeds.

I raced a 2011 135i DCT with my 2010 135i 6MT at the strip last weekend. He just had a tune, downpipe and filter to my tune, downpipes, full exhaust, intake, and drag radials. I ran a 11.7@120, he ran a 12.1@114.

I really wish I could have DCT and the N54. His 60ft was worse than mine (2.0 vs 1.7), but I just can't match his shifts. I watched him do another run after and his car's nose didn't even dip during shifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

discstickers posted:

My E39 540i 6spd is averaging 19.5mpg.

My E34 540 automatic averages 9.5mpg when doing pure city driving :smug:

My record is 25mpg doing a slow cruise at around 60 km/h with barely any traffic lights.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
This is a random question, but I hate most of the E21 boards that are out there..

Can anyone tell me if the in tank fuel pump for a first generation (76-79) E21 will fit in the stock fuel tank in a second generation (80-83) E21? Bavarian auto shows the same part number for the "right" fuel tank, which I assume means passenger's side, which is the one where the pump is.

My friend and I are mechanically restoring my e21 that has sat for about ten years. We're switching over to a weber 32/36 and ditching the stock fuel setup. The problem is, the gas tank is full of varnish and the original screen has been destroyed. The screen is NOT sold separately. We're cleaning the tanks, but I don't want to run the original fuel pump without a screen, as a new second generation E21 in tank pump is $200. We are replacing the external secondary 70 psi pump with an aftermarket 6 psi unit. The thing is - a first generation in tank pump is $20.00. I want to use that pump and screen. Any help?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
So the 328i I bought wasn't in perfect maintained shape as the dealer implied. He said "they visually inspect the car" aka cleaned up the surface so the next person that buys it just says "ooh shiny." Luckily I knew the guy was lying through his teeth so I priced in 500 for the typical crap I had to take care of right away.

I took care of the basic crap on Saturday, and more will be done next weekend.

Fouled spark plugs (Ultra Platinum GOLD Supreme 4+++++ replaced with OE parts):

Intake filter, last replaced: Never

The only thing that concerns me is the oil. The dash says it has 15k until the next change, but I'm just going to change it ASAP as the dealer probably just reset it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yep, poo poo like that is why I'm mentally budgeting $500-1000 in immediate maintenance items (plugs, wires, filters, fluids, etc.), and another $1000-1500 in within-the-first-few-months items (e.g., cooling, suspension bushings, motor/tranny mounts, etc.) for when I find a new car. Fortunately the basic stuff is easy DIY and a fraction of the cost of a mechanic doing it.

Can't trust anyone, especially a dealer, to take care of even the most basic things on a car. :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ACEofsnett posted:

This is a random question, but I hate most of the E21 boards that are out there..

Can anyone tell me if the in tank fuel pump for a first generation (76-79) E21 will fit in the stock fuel tank in a second generation (80-83) E21? Bavarian auto shows the same part number for the "right" fuel tank, which I assume means passenger's side, which is the one where the pump is.

My friend and I are mechanically restoring my e21 that has sat for about ten years. We're switching over to a weber 32/36 and ditching the stock fuel setup. The problem is, the gas tank is full of varnish and the original screen has been destroyed. The screen is NOT sold separately. We're cleaning the tanks, but I don't want to run the original fuel pump without a screen, as a new second generation E21 in tank pump is $200. We are replacing the external secondary 70 psi pump with an aftermarket 6 psi unit. The thing is - a first generation in tank pump is $20.00. I want to use that pump and screen. Any help?

First and foremost, don't rely on bavauto to determine your applicable parts, try realoem.com or bmwfans.info

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
If anyone's looking for a ZHP, this looks pretty decent:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2370174651.html

I have no idea whether its salvage or not, but if I didn't already have one, I'd definitely go look at it.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bank posted:

So the 328i I bought wasn't in perfect maintained shape as the dealer implied. He said "they visually inspect the car" aka cleaned up the surface so the next person that buys it just says "ooh shiny."
The only thing that concerns me is the oil. The dash says it has 15k until the next change, but I'm just going to change it ASAP as the dealer probably just reset it.

This is why I don't bother with dealers at all. The value add at a dealership is 99% detailing, 1% mechanical inspection. The car spent an hour at most in the bay being "inspected", having service lights reset, etc, then went in for ~3 hours of detailing before hitting the lot. They *might* have had it aligned if the steering wheel was way off-center.

Honestly, having known used car dealers, any normally-used car from a dealer will be indistinguishable from a detailed normally-used car from a private party.

Shadowhand00 posted:

If anyone's looking for a ZHP, this looks pretty decent:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2370174651.html

I have no idea whether its salvage or not, but if I didn't already have one, I'd definitely go look at it.

It is salvage, but not a bad deal if it was repaired correctly. I'm sure it was totaled due to a front-end collision where the frame horn was tweaked.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Sooooo....

Im looking at the X3. Yes I know about a few flaws, but other wise a great handling SUV. The X5 is a little to much, and finding one in our budget isn't working. The wife likes, and it will be her car.

Anyways, found one she likes, its an 08 with a 27k miles. Even has the M Sport package. Any thing else to watch out for?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Are there any particular problems with the ZHP cars outside of typical E46 problem spots? It still shares like 99% of the same parts as a regular E46 right, so maintenance costs are virtually identical?

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Guinness posted:

Are there any particular problems with the ZHP cars outside of typical E46 problem spots? It still shares like 99% of the same parts as a regular E46 right, so maintenance costs are virtually identical?

Yep. I refreshed my cooling system for the price of one M3 water pump. Same model designation means insurance is the same too.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Sterndotstern posted:

It is salvage, but not a bad deal if it was repaired correctly. I'm sure it was totaled due to a front-end collision where the frame horn was tweaked.

There goes my claim that I have decent reading comprehension.

heh.

Guinness posted:

Only thing that might be slightly different is that the ZHP is prone to develop a VANOS rattle problem which can be fixed for about $120.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ynotony posted:

Yep. I refreshed my cooling system for the price of one M3 water pump. Same model designation means insurance is the same too.

Argh, that's great news, but looking for a ZHP narrows my E46-hunt that much more. Might be worth it, though...

Though I'm seeing some real nice looking ZHPs in Southern California that I could potentially one-way jet down there for for the right price...

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Made some more progress on my 2002's interior. I wish the oily bits were as easy for me to work on!

Better pic of the door. Black vinyl top and bottom with the plaid center section.

All plaid covered rear panels. The fabric laid down surprisingly well and follows the contour of the panel perfectly.

Made a new rear deck piece and covered it in black felt. Looks 100x better than the warped old piece that was covered in the same worn vinyl.

Better shot of the front interior:

Old school floor mats with the old font... :3:

Left to do:
-rear seat. Either vinyl paint black or get a black seat cover. Haven't found a seat cover that will fit it, though. Looking like either the paint or a replacement.
-headliner. Not sure yet, but I may just re-cover it the same way I did with the rear panels. I don't think I could do it in plaid, but the black felt will likely work.
-sun visors. 2 tone black/plaid.
-shift boot. Either find a proper black leather replacement or make one out of the plaid material.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I didn't see a 2002 option in the online store, but I would check out https://www.redlinegoods.com for your shift boot. I got a replacement for my miata and it's very nice quality leather, and you can choose the style and color of the stitching. I believe they will make do special orders for unlisted cars if they can get hold of the patterns, but you'd have to contact them and see.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Ever have one of those cars you drive with your fingers crossed, hoping no terrible noises crop up, no needles spike into the red and no critical warning lights suddenly turn on? Welcome to the last week of my life. My friend flew in from Philly to spend the week with me here in Portland and I had only put a few miles on the 2002 before now since I got it "fixed" and put back together. My test run involved about 60 miles worth of driving her around to various locations in the area. So far, not a single glitch. I think I MAY have put it back together correctly. Though it smells like gas (running crazy rich), makes loud noises (exhaust leaks, rear brake drum(s) squeals), half the interior switches and accessories don't work (no center console, heat CANNOT be turned off, no rear defrost, gauge lights don't work), etc... She is afraid to ride in it because she says it feels and smells like a go-kart that's about to explode at any moment.

Those quality BMW automobiles. Good stuff. ..... in her defense, it DOES kind of seem like a go-kart that may explode at any moment.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
hey guys, my 03 bmw 325i just crapped out and I'm looking to go for a new CPO. I have my eyes and budget set on a 2008 335i coupe CPO. Anything I should look out for /warning on not to purchase a e92 from this particular year? I need CPO because I need the reassurance... I must have put nearly 8k extra into my 325i since it fell out of warranty due to little things here and there, never again.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007

ACEofsnett posted:

Hey, fellow E21 owner! Let me know how it goes, Ive been interested in knowing about the switch to carbs in case I ever need to do it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Chim posted:

hey guys, my 03 bmw 325i just crapped out

What happened to it?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Chim posted:

hey guys, my 03 bmw 325i just crapped out and I'm looking to go for a new CPO. I have my eyes and budget set on a 2008 335i coupe CPO. Anything I should look out for /warning on not to purchase a e92 from this particular year? I need CPO because I need the reassurance... I must have put nearly 8k extra into my 325i since it fell out of warranty due to little things here and there, never again.

How many months of the year are you willing to tolerate your 335i being in the shop for high-pressure fuel pump replacements? If your answer is "lots", you should be OK. If it isn't, consider getting a 328. Even though BMW has effectively covered this part under a lifetime warranty, it is still a huge hassle to deal with. Other than that, the 335 is pretty awesome.

Also, don't fool yourself; CPO isn't the wonderful blanket warranty you think it is. At best, it is a very limited warranty that omits certain key components covered by a new car warranty; at worst, it is a blatant attempt to squeeze more out of the uninformed car buyer.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

The Third Man posted:

I didn't see a 2002 option in the online store, but I would check out https://www.redlinegoods.com for your shift boot. I got a replacement for my miata and it's very nice quality leather, and you can choose the style and color of the stitching. I believe they will make do special orders for unlisted cars if they can get hold of the patterns, but you'd have to contact them and see.

Awesome, thanks! I'll see if they have a pattern for me. I'd like to do both the shift boot and the e-brake surround.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
So I bought 4 yards of fluffy polyester sheeting about 3 inches thick and stuffed them into the cavity above the trunk/below the rear window of my e46 coupe. It completely killed any bass rattles, and I also think that it tightened up the bass response and stopped the sloppy boomy bass. Its really really nice. Took me a half hour, highly recommended.

Went downtown for brunch, decided to hide the car on the roof and found cool photo spot. Bad cellphone photos below.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Are those chrome Style 135s?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Shadowhand00 posted:

Are those chrome Style 135s?

Yes.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

MrChips posted:

How many months of the year are you willing to tolerate your 335i being in the shop for high-pressure fuel pump replacements? If your answer is "lots", you should be OK. If it isn't, consider getting a 328. Even though BMW has effectively covered this part under a lifetime warranty, it is still a huge hassle to deal with. Other than that, the 335 is pretty awesome.

Also, don't fool yourself; CPO isn't the wonderful blanket warranty you think it is. At best, it is a very limited warranty that omits certain key components covered by a new car warranty; at worst, it is a blatant attempt to squeeze more out of the uninformed car buyer.

what year were the high pressure fuel pumps "fixed"? would it make a difference if I went for a 2009?

my 325i has been plagued with tiny electrical problems since the day it got out of warranty. Finally the engine overheated on the highway and I Just don't want to deal with it anymore - hence the new vehicle.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Chim posted:

what year were the high pressure fuel pumps "fixed"? would it make a difference if I went for a 2009?

my 325i has been plagued with tiny electrical problems since the day it got out of warranty. Finally the engine overheated on the highway and I Just don't want to deal with it anymore - hence the new vehicle.

Even the newest revisions of the HPFP are still breaking, but really it isn't nearly as big of a deal as its blown up to be. Mine has a bit under 28k miles on it now and hasn't had it replaced once, where some have had them replaced as many as 4-5 times (the replacement takes 1-2 days and you'll get a loaner in the mean time). They also typically don't fail without plenty of warning. Your car won't spend 'months a year' in the shop.

As said however, the CPO warranty is pretty crappy and really doesn't cover much past the drive train (electronics are not covered at all if I remember correctly).

If you test drive 07-08s know that the actuators for the turbos weren't built as strong as in the newer models, and may fail (mine is starting to go). This requires the replacement of both turbo assemblies are they're one piece, which will be replaced with the 09+ versions (this is covered by the CPO). It's characterized by a ticking sound of the engine on start up and rattling at around 3-4k rpm coming off throttle from the wastegates.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Stealth Like posted:

Even the newest revisions of the HPFP are still breaking, but really it isn't nearly as big of a deal as its blown up to be. Mine has a bit under 28k miles on it now and hasn't had it replaced once, where some have had them replaced as many as 4-5 times (the replacement takes 1-2 days and you'll get a loaner in the mean time). They also typically don't fail without plenty of warning. Your car won't spend 'months a year' in the shop.

Did switching to the single turbo engine help at all? I'm interested in a 335i, but would definitely want to pay cash for something a couple years used rather than brand new, and I think the single turbo has been out for less than a year.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ynotony posted:

Did switching to the single turbo engine help at all? I'm interested in a 335i, but would definitely want to pay cash for something a couple years used rather than brand new, and I think the single turbo has been out for less than a year.

No, the N55 is also having HPFP issues. The N55 is found in all 2011+ 335i, but the 335is retains the N54 (along with the new M1).

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Stealth Like posted:

No, the N55 is also having HPFP issues. The N55 is found in all 2011+ 335i, but the 335is retains the N54 (along with the new M1).

1M !!!

"1 Series M Coupe"

gently caress you, BMW.

:)

RapeWhistle fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 11, 2011

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

Chim posted:

I just did this, 2008 E92 335i, arctic white with coral red leather interior, CPO, with only 20,000 miles. It's loving pristine. If you can find an example in good condition, I highly recommend going for it as you have practically nothing to worry about. I seriously get out of the house as fast as I possibly can in the mornings just so I can drive to work. Next step is ~*~sick modz~*~, of course.

I probably could've picked up a different example with more miles for less than I paid for this one, but I mean, the interior and exterior are just pristine. It was barely driven. Anyways, brag over, I'll gently caress off over to bimmerpost and leave AI alone :D

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

illamint posted:

I just did this, 2008 E92 335i, arctic white with coral red leather interior, CPO, with only 20,000 miles. It's loving pristine. If you can find an example in good condition, I highly recommend going for it as you have practically nothing to worry about. I seriously get out of the house as fast as I possibly can in the mornings just so I can drive to work. Next step is ~*~sick modz~*~, of course.

]http://illamint.com/images/bmw/IMG_6417.jpg[/timg]

http://illamint.com/images/bmw/IMG_6406.jpg[/timg]

I probably could've picked up a different example with more miles for less than I paid for this one, but I mean, the interior and exterior are just pristine. It was barely driven. Anyways, brag over, I'll gently caress off over to bimmerpost and leave AI alone :D

pretty much the exact car i'd want - the color combo is gorgeous. how much did it cost you, if you don't mind? is that manual or auto?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Chinatown posted:

So I bought 4 yards of fluffy polyester sheeting about 3 inches thick and stuffed them into the cavity above the trunk/below the rear window of my e46 coupe. It completely killed any bass rattles, and I also think that it tightened up the bass response and stopped the sloppy boomy bass. Its really really nice. Took me a half hour, highly recommended.

Went downtown for brunch, decided to hide the car on the roof and found cool photo spot. Bad cellphone photos below.

Glad it worked out for you! I noted the same changes to the bass response when I did that.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Before I just take what I can get for it from a dealer as a trade in, and get the scourge of BMW out of my life, I figured I would inquire if anyone wanted a car that would end up being a project.

The honest description of the car:
2003 325i, teal green
200k, original engine and automatic transmission (and transmission fluid)
power steering pump is sure to go sooner than later
2/5 alloys are badly damaged, have 4 steels with studless snow tires (currently on 2 of each)
broken rear driver side spring (about 1" shorter)
no tumbler in the door
fair interior, couple pieces of trim are damaged, not sure how clean I can actually get it
the paint looks decent, I think there are a couple minor dents and scratches
front bumper is damaged, due to piece of rebar on a tire stop, and needs to be replaced to look decent
1 vallet, 2 remote keys, 1 pissed off remote key that starts it but does not open the car, and the plastic emergency key with the manual

While I would love to get 3k for it, I expect to make a deal. It is in northern Nevada (Reno) this second but could appear in Sacramento and the SF bay area if there was interest. Otherwise, I am getting rid of it on Sunday or Monday and getting what I can for it.

A picture will magically appear once I take one.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 12, 2011

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Manual?

poo poo that is totally worth 3K. I could get 3k for my '92 where I'm at.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

revmoo posted:

Manual?

poo poo that is totally worth 3K. I could get 3k for my '92 where I'm at.
no, auto

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

EvilMoFo posted:

no, auto

You're basically guaranteed to get more for it if you take it up to the bay - but not if planning for use as a trade in. Hell, you may even get more cash for taking it up to Sac, but I'd just take the extra couple of hours and virtually guarantee a higher price than you're going to get around Reno/Carson.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So I got insanely lucky and found a $100 M50B25 with 78k miles on it on craiglist. With an E34 oil pan, even. I guess my swap is happening sooner than planned. I'm going to check it out on Saturday and cross my fingers that it's not completely hosed. Even if it is, $100 is a small price to pay for a longblock to rebuild.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Viggen posted:

You're basically guaranteed to get more for it if you take it up to the bay - but not if planning for use as a trade in. Hell, you may even get more cash for taking it up to Sac, but I'd just take the extra couple of hours and virtually guarantee a higher price than you're going to get around Reno/Carson.
No kidding. I was looking for cars like these for months and a car like that one would consistently fetch 5k, even with the issues. I saw plenty of "body shop specials" that would cost 4k and need at least 3k in body work.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I am graduating this weekend, figured I would conclude my time in Nevada by getting rid of the car here. I guess driving it home to the bay and dealing with it for a week is worth a grand. I just hope it sells in a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

2003 model with 200k miles? Good lord :psyduck: my '89 has 187k.