Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Koopsta

I picked up a Koop CD years and years ago and it was garbage. I always liked him in 36 but he never got past the whole Satan thing and without the other members to balance him out it became really stale about 2 songs in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

kingpin skinny pimp - 'king of da playaz ball' is the ultimate 36 solo album

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jock Mocken posted:

I've already talked about Starlito in this thread, but he's a got a new mixtape so I need to bring him up again anyway. If you just listen to one project from him, make it Renaissance Gangster. (btw alansmithee did you ever listen to that?)

Yeah I actually did, and liked it a lot. Even recommended a couple of my friends pick it up. Haven't gotten around to listening to his new mixtape yet but I got it downloaded and w/e. It's unfortunate he doesn't get more pub, he kinda does the wiz khalifa stoner thing but he's not horrible.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

John Brown posted:

Well this is a question anyone can feel free to comment on. I'm planning on starting a label with a friend within the next year or two and dropping some mixtapes. I've got some long-lost connections here in Dallas that I could possibly resurrect but I was thinking of moving to Houston. Nowadays does location really matter seeing as the internet has become such an intricate part of the game?

I write reviews for that Juggalo website and I'm in Ft. Worth. We promote poo poo around the metroplex all the time if you wanna pass somethin off to me, I'm kind of really really really tired of the terrible ICP/Tech N9ne knockoffs we get all the time. Actually I'm about to finally finish doing the Underground Spotlight article for A.Dd+. If you don't want to be associated with it I totally get it but between the two I'd say Dallas just because of how much competition you're facing in Houston.

Obviously social networking can get you pretty far but I'd go one step beyond since we've passed the rush of people getting into it and now were the apathetic Facebook generation. A Facebook page nowadays is more of a reference point than it is a promotion tool. Find whatever it is you think is most unique about your style and exploit the poo poo out of it, find a promotion technique that fits it best.

I remember there was this horrorcore group out of some northern state that took a Haunted House tour in a beat up van. They would roll up to the line, open up the side where it housed a few speakers and their main MC jumped out in straight jacket rapping about how he was being held against his will and he would get chased by the two other guys while he was rapping until they finally nabbed him on the last verse and dragged him kickin and screamin back the van. They had it timed perfectly and I haven't seen showmanship or dedication like that since. They never got in trouble with security either because it was so unexpected and it was over within 2 or 3 minutes. I wish I could remember their name but they disbanded after one of them was shot.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Robert Analog posted:

I picked up a Koop CD years and years ago and it was garbage. I always liked him in 36 but he never got past the whole Satan thing and without the other members to balance him out it became really stale about 2 songs in.

Any idea which one?

Post Three 6 I thought Da K Project and Undaground Muzik were pretty good but Da Inevitable and The Mind of Robert Cooper were kind of weak. Da Devil's Playground 2 drops next month so hopefully he gets back on track.

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

farmtrill posted:

That or Layin Da Smack Down. Da Devils Playground is dope if you can find it.

Edit: And Chrome-Straight To Da Pros is way better than it should be and the S&C version owns hard.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Bloopsy posted:

Da Devil's Playground 2 drops next month so hopefully he gets back on track.

drat, had my hopes up that he was going to be with Paul again, guess not though.

This interview is pretty fuckin funny though http://www.goingsouthmagazine.com/gotkoop.html

Koop posted:

As for Crunchy Black, to me he will always be a good dancer that me and Lord wrote lyrics for. So to say hell naw, he could never stop a Lord Infamous album…YOU DO HERE ME.

koop posted:

At this moment of time, artist are not unique and creative, and lyrics are the same. Most of every artist that's out sound alike, so KOOP is going to stand out from the rest… with my mystical style and angelic voices and sometimes demonic ones too.

farmtrill posted:

I don't know man, its pretty good, but its hardly the best. I like Da Devil's Playground a little more, despite the corny first song (samples some lovely song from Metallica's black album). Its at least a notch above all the underground tapes (90% of them are excellent so that's not a knock at them). I think Murderers & Robbers or Ghetty Green are the best. Ghetty Green has some excellent loving production from Juicy on it.

The Doo Do Chasers fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 10, 2011

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If scarecrow and koopsta really did ghostwrite for crunchy black thats pretty sad. Sad for everyone involved.

I like Da Devil's Playground a little more, despite the corny first song (samples some lovely song from Metallica's black album).

That song rules.

e: Since we're tlaking about southern stuff, I was looking for that Big Hill tape that a song was linked from a few pages back and came across this awesome blog. This thing is a goldmine, I don't even know where to start.

smoke sumthin bitch fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 10, 2011

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

If scarecrow and koopsta really did ghostwrite for crunchy black thats pretty sad. Sad for everyone involved.

I've heard this before. I like crunchy but he's a hype man that can walk, that's about it.

Here's a few hilarious videos of Crunchy and Koop goin back and forth from a few years back:

poo poo gets real interesting at 5:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGyNJLCoPR8

Koop and some white dudes in a room full of coca-cola memorabilia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=metC_Fj8zW0

The guy in the wheelchair was the guy that Koop robbed with an AK a few years ago that put him back in jail. There used to be a vid up but I can't find it anymore.

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 10, 2011

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I think the issue would be Crunchy's limited vocabulary, not poor writing skills on the part of Koop or Lord. Like Ghillie said about Baby something like "you got to tailor your verses for him because he can't say big words"

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I love Tech but "Mama Nem" just isn't good. Definitely one of the least deserving of a video.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

glorp posted:

HatchetDown posted:

That's some ingenious creativity and performance. This summer we'll be recording all brand new material and with me still trying to convince an associate to be my producer, I don't see the label being close to created by then. I'll definitely contact you when I've got some concrete work. Do you have PMs?

John Brown fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 10, 2011

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
What is the purpose of creating a label for you John Brown?

I'm just wondering because I know lots of people "who own their own label", and often times its a waste of time, money, and energy because without distribution and a great line-up it just means instead of having to build one brand as an artist you now have to build two.

Unless you have a lot of money or some really good investors starting a label from scratch with any hope of success is going to be really tough (and probably not worth your time).

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

Few weeks ago now I picked up Sledgehammer Kisses by Mudmowth & Metabeats.
It's a pretty decent album with some cracking tracks on there but I found it to be 50% great 50% bland.

There is one track on there that's been on repeat more or less since purchase. Maaad Tight (ft Sonnyjim & Skamma)
It's got a pretty good flow in it but basically it acts as a track that kinda shows Mudmowth to be lacking in comparison to people like Sonnyjim, still bad rear end though.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Not super into hip-hop myself, but I saw an article in the university paper about a local artist and looked him up. REALLY impressed. I'd listen to this any day over what's on top 40 radio. No idea if he's been mentioned before, but I'm going to throw him out there. I mean, you have to support local right?

The man is Scru Face Jean from Lincoln, Nebraska. Turns out we have more than corn and hicks...

Check out his website: http://www.scrufacejean.com

Here's the article on him I read: http://tinyurl.com/scruface

Some of my favorites you can hear on his website:
Act a Timmy
Taylor Martinez
Sky High
Swisher Sweets and Court Dates (Video on the website)

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

new elzhi tape, the long awaited nas tribute, elmatic http://www.mediafire.com/?d03jjue821lf864

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

That song rules.

e: Since we're tlaking about southern stuff, I was looking for that Big Hill tape that a song was linked from a few pages back and came across this awesome blog. This thing is a goldmine, I don't even know where to start.

That tape rules, so does that blog, got it bookmarked

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

farmtrill posted:

new elzhi tape, the long awaited nas tribute, elmatic http://www.mediafire.com/?d03jjue821lf864

whoa I'd totally forgotten this was even a thing

e: oh and Ghetty Green is probably my favorite HCP album too though I am a big fan of Lil Wyte's first two cds

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

Can anyone tell me from what song the beat in the beginning of every rap song on Youtube? I know I've heard the full track before but I can't remember.

Video for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-YNFLRgky0

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

farmtrill posted:

yes yes yall

e: here's the xxl link in case yall dont wanna mess around with mediafire http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2011/05/download-elzhis-elmatic-now/

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 11, 2011

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
That elmatic mixtape is sublime.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

John Brown posted:

Do you have PMs?

Yepper

I have a deep and sincere dislike for Chris Brown but I love the beat on Look At Me Now.

http://youtu.be/s_pBf0QbR3Q

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1Cd73l6Kc

Don't know who this guy is. He goes in on this track, though. Name drops a few industry people (Sha Money, Steve Rifkin). Besides that I like the throwback style. No hook, just rapping.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

from Chuck D:

quote:

When people ask me, ‘What do you think of rappers today,' I say a lot of the MC’s sometimes break away from their actual selves a little bit. Their words are not bonding with what they really believe. And when somebody really doesn’t believe what they’re saying they can tell you any old thing. You have somebody that comes up through one rank and he’s telling you some other poo poo, someone else’s story. It’s like, what am I following? I’m following a style…a brand. Not an artist.

Like I was saying earlier with regards to Wiz, it's really important to rap about poo poo you care about while staying true to yourself. Take it from the incredible rhyme animal (still pissed at myself for missing his speech at my university)

caveman thug poo poo posted:

yes yes yall

e: here's the xxl link in case yall dont wanna mess around with mediafire http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2011/05/download-elzhis-elmatic-now/

finally getting around to listening to this, it's awesome. This post actually brings up something I want to talk about though:

A while ago someone mentioned that they regard Datpiff as a last resort for downloading stuff, and I thought I'd explain why I post datpiff/bandcamp/livemixtapes links even though I prefer hulkshare or mediafire myself. First of all, you can stream from all of these sites so you don't waste your time downloading something you won't like; second, unlike filesites, mixtapes posted at one of these places won't be deleted so dead links won't be a problem; third, like dethkon ran into with that Z-Ro/Pac tape, some filesites are blocked by certain ISPs, particularly on college campuses; finally, there's no problem with copyright infringement the way there can be with some blogs that post a lot of dl links. Plus, I figure if someone really wants to find an alternate download site, minimal Google skills should usually get them what they want.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Man that Cocaine Blunts blog by Noz is harsh. I didn't realize people had such a negative opinion of Black on Both Sides and Black Star. I mean yeah they were heavy handed and had their share of unimpressive tracks (Especially Black Star), but there were some great songs on those. It's a very interesting read, though!

quote:

Don't know who this guy is. He goes in on this track, though. Name drops a few industry people (Sha Money, Steve Rifkin). Besides that I like the throwback style. No hook, just rapping.

I like his voice but I do think it got a bit monotonous. Maybe it shouldn't have been five minutes long. I think his flow is better on this remix that came up in the related videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiwVbKZTEjw&NR=1

Sorry if this dude is well known, I'm pretty out of the loop these days.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 11, 2011

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

yes yes yall

plogo posted:

That elmatic mixtape is sublime.

I downloaded it but the one I got is at 128kbps bit rate.... is there any higher quality downloads available? Like at least 256kbps or 320kbps?

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
There was an excerpt from a book about Hip-Hop in the AP literature exam today. I thought it was an interesting departure from what I normally see on those tests.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

phractured posted:

There was an excerpt from a book about Hip-Hop in the AP literature exam today. I thought it was an interesting departure from what I normally see on those tests.

what book? the only one i ever picked up was Cant Stop Wont Stop by Jeff Chang and i gotta admit it was a... challenging... read

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
http://mishkanyc.com/bloglin/2011/05/11/ninja-turtles-are-a-menace-ii-society/

This just made me laugh but it's not really a rap song, just some mixed up memories from my teenage years.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

what book? the only one i ever picked up was Cant Stop Wont Stop by Jeff Chang and i gotta admit it was a... challenging... read
Unfortunately I don't remember because I was focusing on getting the hell out of there. If I find it, I'll post it though.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

chomper posted:

I downloaded it but the one I got is at 128kbps bit rate.... is there any higher quality downloads available? Like at least 256kbps or 320kbps?

Well just imagine it's 1994 and you are bumpin it on cassette.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

The Big Payback is totally worth reading, especially if you're into hearing behind the scenes type stuff. But yeah that's pretty cool that they gave that as the prose prompt; I don't remember what mine was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't nonfiction.

and yeah bitching about bitrate is pretty dumb just :dealwithit:

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

It never mentioned the book the passage came from but it cited a few other books that all escape me currently. The author capitalized Hip-Hop and Black, though.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
get the Hiphoptionary it has a purple cover with orange writing

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Sarx posted:

What is the purpose of creating a label for you John Brown?

I'm just wondering because I know lots of people "who own their own label", and often times its a waste of time, money, and energy because without distribution and a great line-up it just means instead of having to build one brand as an artist you now have to build two.

Unless you have a lot of money or some really good investors starting a label from scratch with any hope of success is going to be really tough (and probably not worth your time).

Well the bulk of it comes in hopes of either having a great line-up, which we need improvement on, or putting out successful product. If we find our music in the public's ears often that equals great returns on royalties. We'd also have total ownership but the incentive again relies on how successful our music is. Just to reiterate this is further down the road...considerably. But I always wondered why many artists never revealed their label until they were signed.

On another note, looks like this video just dropped and it reminds me of the old days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsrA6racNJw

John Brown fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 12, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

The Third Coast is surprisingly good. The author didn't just interview the major dudes, he goes out of his way to find people who lived around or knew them. Its pretty cool, spends A LOT of time on the Dungeon Family and No Limit, but both those groups were way important to the south breaking into the mainstream. Goes into really good detail on the Houston scene, like the back story on Screwtapes and poo poo.

Also I really realyl did not expect to like that Elmatic tape, but drat its way good.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

agggggggshgshgwshg White House Defends 'Cop Killer' Rapper

this report is about Common

I'll say that again: loving COMMMON. is there even a fluffier rapper out there

e: huffpost article that goes into the whole thing if you're like me and ignore stupid poo poo as a rule

The Third Coast is surprisingly good. The author didn't just interview the major dudes, he goes out of his way to find people who lived around or knew them. Its pretty cool, spends A LOT of time on the Dungeon Family and No Limit, but both those groups were way important to the south breaking into the mainstream. Goes into really good detail on the Houston scene, like the back story on Screwtapes and poo poo

that sounds cool and it's only 6 bucks on Amazon right now, thanks for the rec

Jock Mocken fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 12, 2011

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
Are there any GOOD documentaries about hip-hop in general? I know there's plenty of decent docs on Biggie and Tupac.... there has to be a decent one on the game as a whole, right?

Jock Mocken posted:

and yeah bitching about bitrate is pretty dumb just :dealwithit:

Oh, i'm not bitching. Just making sure I got the official release. I hate having to go through all these upload sites like Mediafire and Hulkshare for releases.

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

The Third Coast is surprisingly good. The author didn't just interview the major dudes, he goes out of his way to find people who lived around or knew them. Its pretty cool, spends A LOT of time on the Dungeon Family and No Limit, but both those groups were way important to the south breaking into the mainstream. Goes into really good detail on the Houston scene, like the back story on Screwtapes and poo poo.

Also I really realyl did not expect to like that Elmatic tape, but drat its way good.

Cool, just bought it from Amazon, only 6 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Haha I would have figured you guys have read that.

• Locked thread