Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot

Markoff Chaney posted:

Kinda. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightclub

Hold up a sec - the wiki only lists Dark Forces 2 as an appearance, but I could've swore there was a novel where someone uses a lightsaber that's 3 meters long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
That Gantros (sp?) guy and a few othe Jedi had extendo-lightsabers in I Jedi and the Jedi Search trilogy, that could be what your thinking of?

Seemed like a pretty ridiculous idea,what better than a normal lightsaber?

Of course! A BIGGER lightsaber! Maybe they just need to say stuff it, get me a light-broadsword!

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Z. Beeblebrox IV posted:

Hold up a sec - the wiki only lists Dark Forces 2 as an appearance, but I could've swore there was a novel where someone uses a lightsaber that's 3 meters long.

One of the Darth Bane books has a jedi in it that uses a double-bladed lightsaber that measures 3 meters long. That being said, it also mentioned that he was a huge man, so he could probably handle it.

Not A Bear posted:

Of course! A BIGGER lightsaber! Maybe they just need to say stuff it, get me a light-broadsword!

Light-Claymore

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Not A Bear posted:

That Gantros (sp?) guy and a few othe Jedi had extendo-lightsabers in I Jedi and the Jedi Search trilogy, that could be what your thinking of?

Seemed like a pretty ridiculous idea,what better than a normal lightsaber?

Corran Horn too, in no small part because of penis envy :v:

NeonTurtle posted:

Light-Claymore

That's really more like what that "Light club" is, as far as I can tell.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

NeonTurtle posted:

Light-Claymore

Luke rose from cover, raising his light-halberd. "It doesn't have to be like this," he said. Darth Bonerus grinned his mad grin.
"You are weak, Jedi! Weaker than you know. Taste my light-cleaver!" Bonerus screamed. His scream shook the walls and he lunged.
Luke parried the slicing axe with his polearm and force-pushed Bonerus into the Sarlaac's gaping maw. I didn't want to do that, he thought as he boarded his X-wing.
R2 twittered inquisitively. "Yeah, I'm all right. Thanks. Let's head back to Mos Eisley and see if we can find Han's contact. I have a feeling we're close." R2 beeped excitedly. Luke laughed. "I can't wait to get my hands on the light-condoms either," he said as the repulsorlifts whined into action.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

NeonTurtle posted:

In one of the Wraith Squadron books the horse uses a hose and bladder system when he had to sit in his cockpit for three days waiting for a signal to go strafe a spaceport.

You could say he had to piss like a spacehorse! :downsrim:

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Van Dis posted:

Luke rose from cover, raising his light-halberd. "It doesn't have to be like this," he said. Darth Bonerus grinned his mad grin.
"You are weak, Jedi! Weaker than you know. Taste my light-cleaver!" Bonerus screamed. His scream shook the walls and he lunged.
Luke parried the slicing axe with his polearm and force-pushed Bonerus into the Sarlaac's gaping maw. I didn't want to do that, he thought as he boarded his X-wing.
R2 twittered inquisitively. "Yeah, I'm all right. Thanks. Let's head back to Mos Eisley and see if we can find Han's contact. I have a feeling we're close." R2 beeped excitedly. Luke laughed. "I can't wait to get my hands on the light-condoms either," he said as the repulsorlifts whined into action.

So, basically Phantasy Star melee weapons?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I think it was in one of the Jedi academy books where a student gets corrupted by the ghost of Darth Bane or some other dark lord. He could make his saber change colors and go extra long like that.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yup, I remember there was some sort of "phase change" lightsaber in the Jedi Academy novels where some dude (I think the name was Gantoris, thanks Not a Bear) fought Luke with a super-advanced "twist handle=realign magic crystals=extendo-saber" before Luke kicked his rear end.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Exar Kun's lightsaber in the Tales of the Jedi comics (the original double-bladed lightsaber) had the ability to both extend/shorten the blades, as well as to have the blades lose their "substance" so that they were nothing more substantial than light, so an opponent would be thrown off-balance when meeting no resistance to a swing.

Dr. Wreckingball
Sep 5, 2005

hotter than a tijuana crackpipe
here's my lightsaber tattoos

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
If that's really you you've just topped Backpanther in the completely cheesy but oddly awesome department.

Dr. Wreckingball
Sep 5, 2005

it's definitely me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Be careful who you're pointing at with these! (They are pretty neat)

Markoff Chaney posted:

Kinda. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightclub

NeonTurtle posted:

Light-Claymore

These are pretty stupid, but at least you could argue that a longer lightsaber is useful because of the reach.

A light-mace would be dumb because, as far as I know, a mace is dangerous because it's used to club people's heads in with a heavy object. Making it a lazer-weapon would take away the weight and just make it like any other light-weapon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If you don't annoy friends and family with prods to the sides or back with said fingers and make the lightsaber sound every now and then you aren't using those things right man.

Do it. Like right now.

Dr. Wreckingball
Sep 5, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

If you don't annoy friends and family with prods to the sides or back with said fingers and make the lightsaber sound every now and then you aren't using those things right man.

Do it. Like right now.

i can't do that that often, otherwise they'd most likely get sliced in half.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Dr. Wreckingball posted:

here's my lightsaber tattoos

This is a really awesome idea and I am sad I never thought of first.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Breaking news (from a few days ago):

http://www.galacticempiretimes.com/2011/05/09/galaxy/outer-rim/obi-wan-kenobi-is-killed.html

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Haha, this is great. Really wanted that to be a real website.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This manages to be funnier than it should have been. Well done to whoever wrote that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

so an opponent would be thrown off-balance when meeting no resistance to a swing.

That's a loving terrible idea because even if your opponent stumbles he's already cut you in half so why would he give a poo poo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This is better than any official Star Wars product I've seen in the past year or two.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I have been away from this thread too long. Finally acquired a complete paperback collection of the X-Wing books. I keep whichever one I'm on in the bathroom and slowly make my way through...carefully controlled doses of awesome.

From a few pages back: thrawn527, you married your wife whilst she had never seen Star Wars? :stare:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

movax posted:

From a few pages back: thrawn527, you married your wife whilst she had never seen Star Wars? :stare:

I've been married 9 years and my wife has never seen/read Star Wars, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, or Indiana Jones. I keep telling myself that when our relationship stagnates, I can show them to her to get a spark. Also, I want her to see the original cut of the OT.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Savage_Opress
Every time you think Star Wars couldn't get any dumber, it always surprises.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

VaultAggie posted:

THE NIGHTBROTHER CLAN

God loving drat these Star Wars. This thread is just poisoning it.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

VaultAggie posted:

Quite literally a re-skin of Darth Maul, yet still more likeable than Anakin. Oh, Star Wars you've done it again!

One of these days there will be a character besides Luke or Ben with an Earth-ish sounding name, and I will be happy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bene Elim posted:

One of these days there will be a character besides Luke or Ben with an Earth-ish sounding name, and I will be happy.
How about Kyle?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Bene Elim posted:

Quite literally a re-skin of Darth Maul, yet still more likeable than Anakin. Oh, Star Wars you've done it again!

Wes Janson sounds like an indie film producer. Derek "Hobbie" Klivian is obviously an English footballer.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Wes Janson sounds like an indie film producer. Derek "Hobbie" Klivian is obviously an English footballer.
This is what I get for not reading the books.

Casimir Radon posted:

How about Kyle?
:gonk: I played those games!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

movax posted:

This is true. She's never liked sci-fi, so I just never cared to show them to her. Hell, she doesn't show me (too many) period romances I won't like, so it seems fair. Every once in a while she'll try one (she saw all 3 Lord of the Rings movies in the theater with me while we were dating, and watched the first two extended editions when I got them on DVD. She did not enjoy those at all.), but normally she doesn't like them. One day recently I figured that now was the time to finally show them to her, and she really enjoyed them. In a "I didn't know sci-fi could be fun" kind of way. Then, feeling daring after that, I showed her the miniseries for BSG. She loves that and we've burned through those. It seems she didn't like sci-fi because she had only tried crappy sci-fi.

Moral of the story: don't assume you're wife won't like something you like. Give it a shot every once in a while.

Derek Dominoe posted:

I've been married 9 years and my wife has never seen/read Star Wars, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, or Indiana Jones. I keep telling myself that when our relationship stagnates, I can show them to her to get a spark. Also, I want her to see the original cut of the OT.

This is what I did. I showed her the originals that look lovely on the DVD releases that are currently out. I told her, "These won't look all that great, but they didn't look all that great when I was watching them on VHS when I was a kid for the millionth time. So you're seeing them the way I saw them and fell in love with them." She seemed to appreciate the romanticism associated with that.

Also, yeah, Indiana Jones was something I showed to her not too long before I showed her Star Wars. Her liking those was one of the reasons I decided to show her Star Wars.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 12, 2011

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bene Elim posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Josephine_Donovan
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blaine_Harris
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Meghan_Rivers

Enormous list of characters with Earth-ish sounding names: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Earth#Character_names

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Bene Elim posted:

Savage Oppress is a terrible name, but the character is decent. He actually has character arc with way more depth than Darth Maul and was a key part of the only decent story arc in season 3 of TCW.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Also, yeah, Indiana Jones was something I showed to her not too long before I showed her Star Wars. Her liking those was one of the reasons I decided to show her Star Wars.
No matter what anybody says there wasn't a fourth movie. If anyone says otherwise brand them as a liar and cut yourself off from them forever.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 13, 2011

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

NGL posted:

Savage Oppress is a terrible name, but the character is decent. He actually has character arc with way more depth than Darth Maul and was a key part of the only decent story arc in season 3 of TCW.

Greedo had a deeper character arc than Darth Maul. Maul is just a scary-looking video game boss.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Greedo had a deeper character arc than Darth Maul. Maul is just a scary-looking video game boss.

Of course Greedo had a deeper character arc than Darth Maul, he bullied young Anakin on Tatooine and it was apparent that he would come to a bad end and then :suicide:

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Of course Greedo had a deeper character arc than Darth Maul, he bullied young Anakin on Tatooine and it was apparent that he would come to a bad end and then :suicide:
Holy poo poo I thought you were joking about this but I just checked Wookiepedia and you're right. Do they ever refer to him by name in the Prequels? I can't believe I missed that. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse :smithicide:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I think it's just in a deleted scene, and I have managed to repress most of it successfully.

I still can't believe we dodged Kid Han Solo in RotS.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

"Wookiepedia posted:

After Greedo's death, Wuher and his new droid companion, C2-R4, claimed the bounty hunter's body and ground it up into a powerful liqueur. All that remained of Greedo afterward was his head, which Wuher (having taken a dislike to Greedo while he was still alive) impaled on a spike. Following this, the head was apparently taken by someone who had known him in life. Greedo received a funeral that was attended by some of his fellow bounty hunters.

I don't even know what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

No matter what anybody says there wasn't a fourth movie. If anyone says otherwise brand them as a liar and cut yourself off from them forever.

I guess you're not going to want to talk to me anymore then. I own and enjoyed Crystal Skull. v:shobon:v