Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Well once again, I'm gonna say that refinery boy should go mosey on south, shoot up the train, and try baiting the very-short-range tank over by the refinery before blasting them both in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

For god's sake, enough DFA. Those poor mechs. They're doing more damage to themselves than the enemy. They can last longer if they use guns to mow down a few buildings. They're still barely halfway to their targets.

I'm not super awesome at RulesTech but you can shoot when running right? So it stands to reason you can pull a Scooby Doo and run through the alleys shooting the easy-to-hit buildings while the enemy has to pull a run if they want to keep up with you and then having a harder time hitting you from the movement penalty.

And maybe PTN thinks they should have an additional roll to avoid hitting their side's buildings, hmm?

Just run the clock on these guys and try to stand close to something expensive when you finally explode.

Fog adds a movement cost.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Can the Valkyrie move to 0826 next turn and fire south at the train, or is that too far because of the rubble/ building/ fog?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Please don't ruin our chances of winnin by DFA'ing a mech that will only shrug it off. At least not before we've actually secured a win.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

But Death From Above is the best kind of death :(

Besides, dropping on them like actual bombs works wonders for those other objectives. As long as they're actually standing close enough to make anything worthwhile happen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All those people in the club! You murderers!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

evilmiera posted:

But Death From Above is the best kind of death :(

Besides, dropping on them like actual bombs works wonders for those other objectives. As long as they're actually standing close enough to make anything worthwhile happen.

Yes. Luring like the von luckner tank into the refinery and THEN DFAing him. Blowing yourself, him and the refinery up. That is good.

Just DFAing a griffin for shits and giggles? No.

Also make sure you don't blow up non-target buildings when you die.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I say gently caress DFA. Dolla dolla bills yall. You still have 16 million C-bills of poo poo left to destroy. Blow up the train, blow up the refinery, DFA to your heart's content after your mechs are already hosed and you don't have anything left to explode.

Boscrossos
Apr 23, 2010

Affi posted:

Yes. Luring like the von luckner tank into the refinery and THEN DFAing him. Blowing yourself, him and the refinery up. That is good.

Just DFAing a griffin for shits and giggles? No.

Also make sure you don't blow up non-target buildings when you die.

I'm with this guy. DFA has an awesome name, and every BattleTech player has a few great DFA stories of when all else failed and he just DFA'd, but usually, all else fails first. DFA does not deal insane damage, likely leaves you prone, and since the opponent in this case is better than you in every conceivable way, he will still stand. Then justice foot you. Then you fail the mission.

Go kick that train, shoot the station, then turn round and blow up the refinery together with all your pursuers. Then DFA the remains to be sure.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

jumpjet out of the refinery blowing it up, and land by those l2 2 unit buildings and start blowing them up, kill one section other falls, should net you some scratch

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

AtomikKrab posted:

jumpjet out of the refinery blowing it up, and land by those l2 2 unit buildings and start blowing them up, kill one section other falls, should net you some scratch

*engages jumpjets*
*blows the gently caress up*

-Mission Failed-

idiot

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Immediately walk into the most expensive looking heavy building you can find. Best case scenario, it works and you've got a lot of ablative armor to stand in while you plink away at those hostiles... worst case scenario, you get impaled on a girder and explode inside the most expensive looking heavy building you can find :happyelf:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

All those people in the club! You murderers!

Would you say that if Rose's father was barhopping there that night?

Terror storm
Oct 23, 2010

Your head is worth nothing,
and that's a good thing.
Well I can honestly say that I expected to last another turn.

But other than that I have to say that was an interesting mission for my introduction into battletech, and that I hope my lance-mates avenge me in some small way (mainly in finishing off P1, the bastard).

Also PoptartsNinja you didn't update P1's status in the update.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Were the players told that their mechs were wired to explode at the start of the campaign?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ay-yup. It's in the mission flavour text right from the start.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The best course of action is to lure one of the Guard into the refinery and bait him into firing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gothsheep posted:

Killing him might be a bit much. I think the reasonable reaction would have been for the Dragoons to say, "I think you leave Outreach at once, and it would be a very good idea if you made sure not to cross paths with the Dragoons ever again."
Well I mean the ship captain he pissed off in chapter 1....

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Looks like it's curtains for old man Sleet. Hopefully his last hurrah was suitably dramatic for him, and the sting of his forced retirement lessened by the damage inflicted on Lestrade's reputation.

Is it possible they could be captured alive, escape, or in any other way not blow up? Say they got legs and arms blown off, for example, or end the fight knocked out. That could be very interesting.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
My $0.02:

The Javelin should jump into cover in the park and in the next turn make its way to the triangular skyscraper. Walk into the building to use it as cover, wreck the supports and die with an entire skyscraper collapsing on your Mech. :black101:

The Assassin should prolly jump to 1527, which leaves you out of LoS for he turn, in front of a target and in position to jump over to the train next turn.

The Valk... yeah, you're kinda screwed. Try luring some chump into the refinery grounds before blowing it all up. Would walking into the refinery proper cause an explosion?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Dolash posted:

Is it possible they could be captured alive, escape, or in any other way not blow up? Say they got legs and arms blown off, for example, or end the fight knocked out. That could be very interesting.

I guess there could be an optional scenario where a pilot is so injured and unconcious that he can't wake up and self-detonate and yet the mech isn't damaged enough to trigger the explosives where we would have to go in and "Finish Him".

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
The voice with an internet connection probably has a remote detonator.

And I think PTN said that the only scenario in which a pilot gets captured alive and interrogated is what happens when one of their 'mechs leaves the board. So for the love of ghost, don't put yourselves in a position to be Pushed off!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
As for Jeremiah Rose, I keep wanting to believe it's intentional. Customs did their job, and let him off easy despite his sass. The council of scotts did their job, and let him off easy despite his sass. So did the police officer, and the merc registrar as well. And all he has is CONTEMPT for all of them.

As for the mission, well. poo poo could be going better, huh? I say just because it's a suicide mission doesn't mean you should, well, commit suicide. There's a glimmer of hope for an evac plan, and even if it never happens, that's no reason to ignore your best shots at accomplishing the objectives, which at present would be best served by trying to keep alive to destroy more buildings.

It means no DFA's, which is unfortunate of course, but there's still time for that AFTER wrecking the scenery.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Seriously though that tank will one-shot your mechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It really will.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Chronojam posted:

Seriously though that tank will one-shot your mechs.

The AC/20 is the heavy hand of destruction in Battletech. Where the PPC is arcs of energy and the large laser is a light show the AC/20 is pure metal fury. :black101: It will turn your center torso into a breezeway.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

paragon1 posted:

:siren: Contest with awesome prize! :siren:
Right, so the Let's Read has convinced me that Something Must Be Done. With Poptarts permission, I am holding a contest. Whoever posts the most hilarious/ironic/appropriate video or pictures of the destruction of a copy of Main Event will receive the forums upgrade of their choice from myself.

Copies of Main Event may be hard to find (thank Heaven for small mercies), so I will allow alternates. Poptarts also suggested the Black Fleet Crisis from the Star Wars EU as alternates that he has done a Let's Read of before, so I will allow them as well. PM me if you can think of another alternate.

Disclaimer: For the love of God, don't do anything dangerous and/or illegal for an internet contest. I don't think anyone here would, but...you know, internet.

You might want to add in a restriction against burning the book :hitler:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Trast posted:

The AC/20 is the heavy hand of destruction in Battletech. Where the PPC is arcs of energy and the large laser is a light show the AC/20 is pure metal fury. :black101: It will turn your center torso into a breezeway.

Not only that, anything it doesn't instantly kill (I think only the Valkyrie can take A Hit to the chest) is going to likely see its left/right torso and arms sawn off by the 16 SRMs and machine gun. It's going to be critical-hit city against all the damaged mechs if the Valkyrie can't bait and detonate that Von Luckner.

If it gets in range, you're pretty much either cored or worthless after a single salvo.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Chronojam posted:

Not only that, anything it doesn't instantly kill (I think only the Valkyrie can take A Hit to the chest) is going to likely see its left/right torso and arms sawn off by the 16 SRMs and machine gun. It's going to be critical-hit city against all the damaged mechs if the Valkyrie can't bait and detonate that Von Luckner.

If it gets in range, you're pretty much either cored or worthless after a single salvo.

Isn't the tank really slow and all its devastating weaponry close ranged though? I think everyone can keep dancing around it until it moves into the refinery grounds, which is when you detonate the fuel there and take it out in the ensuing explosion.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

take out the refinery now, lure the tank over to the heavy building, cause motive damage.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

GhostStalker posted:

Isn't the tank really slow and all its devastating weaponry close ranged though? I think everyone can keep dancing around it until it moves into the refinery grounds, which is when you detonate the fuel there and take it out in the ensuing explosion.

It moves one hex per turn (absent a piloting check) and is one level high, so while it's deadly, it should be fairly trivial to keep it out of LOS, especially since the players always have perfect information about enemy movements.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Nevets posted:

You might want to add in a restriction against burning the book :hitler:

I don't care how it's done, so long as the person doing it doesn't put anyone in danger by doing it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
As awesome as Schwarzenegger jumping out of the exploding refinery would be, it's a Bad Idea(tm). Just walk out and light that sucker up from a safe distance. Don't bother trying to lure someone in, these guys aren't going to be that stupid.

Try to kill the train, but I think now is probably a good time to start using buildings as armor. Walk through one, bust out the other side, go in another. That'll help rack up the damage goal, and keep that drat tank away from you.

I'm reasonably certain your 'mechs are going to be remote detonated as soon as all the objectives are completed. It's what I'd do. You are going to die, so you might as well sell youself as expensively as possible. If you get taken out in a building, the explosion will probably take it with you.

This is a Cat and Mouse game now. Be the Mouse, scurry through holes.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
What are the rules about walking through M and H building walls?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

RickVoid posted:

As awesome as Schwarzenegger jumping out of the exploding refinery would be, it's a Bad Idea(tm). Just walk out and light that sucker up from a safe distance. Don't bother trying to lure someone in, these guys aren't going to be that stupid.

Hey, it worked for Grayson Death Carlyle. I say go for it. Nothing will go wrong.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

What are the rules about walking through M and H building walls?

Piloting test for each hex with a penalty for buildings heavier than light, distance traveled, and any preexisting conditions (such as actuator damage or a gyro hit).

Failure means you take 1/10th of the building's construction factor in damage (typically 4 damage for a medium building or 9 damage for a heavy), but does not provoke a fall.

Regardless of all other outcomes, the building takes damage equivalent to a single punch.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Speaking as the voice of destructive reason, don't bet on the OpFor units taking the bait. They've been real good about not going in between city blocks if they don't have jump jets. They also just witnessed one of you go kaboom so I think they'd be more than eager to keep their distance.

Walk away from the refinery, blow up the refinery, take out the rest of the red on the map (and the train) and go hug that big triangular building on the west side of the map.

Send yourself out with a bang.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Don't do anything stupid because we don't know if this is the last 'mission'.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Even if it isn't, it's just a game of grabass out in the snow. It'll be rendered moot when the Clans break through ComStar's scattered resistance and enslave them all anyway. =P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Speaking as the voice of destructive reason.
^^^

This man speaks wisdom. You must truly maximize your :black101: through judicious use of :eng101:

• Locked thread