Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Schpyder posted:

Yeah, no. Your numbers are off because you don't actually have both versions of the Alien movies on one disk. Just the longer one, and whatever small bits of the theatrical release are different from it (or vice-versa).

Still, it is possible.

The Red Riding Trilogy put three movies at 295 minutes on one disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You know, I'm tempted to go back to the 80s, and find out what the response was when albums like the Wall or The White Album were released and they took up two discs.

"What, you mean I have to get up in the middle of the album and change discs! That's why I didn't stick with records in the first place!"

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Sporadic posted:

Still, it is possible.

The Red Riding Trilogy put three movies at 295 minutes on one disc.

It also paired them with a single lossy sound track, didn't look particularly amazing, and varied wildly in video quality due to the source nature of each film. (Super 16, 35mm, and Digital). I don't particularly want LOTR to look like this.

Of course it's *possible*. You could store 24 hours or more of content if you wanted everything to look like Youtube HD.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

It does seem kind of odd that I can have both the original theatrical version and the extended director's cut on 1 blu ray for Alien (actually all 4 movies in the set) but they can't fit the whole extended lotr on one disk.

Aliens rutime: 137 minutes.
Aliens Extended runtime: 154 minutes.
Both Aliens films on one blu ray runtime: 291 minutes.

Seamless branching is used to only store the scenes that are different. Each cut of the film is essentially a playlist of different MPEG-4 AVC video files.

Aliens Theatrical (2:17:14) takes up 38.9GB. Aliens Director's Cut (2:34:26) takes up 43.7GB. Obviously most of that is shared.

If Aliens only took up 20GB of a Blu-Ray there'd be an outcry among nerds that Fox weren't bothering to encode their films properly. Yet as soon as those nerds have to get up off the couch after two hours to change a disc...

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 11, 2011

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was under the impression that the theatrical and DC video tracks for Aliens were completely different videos as the DC had Cameron's new mastering work while the theatrical used the old grainy 86 print?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What they should've done is put all the action scenes on one disc and all the boring stuff on the second disc.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The pHo posted:

I was under the impression that the theatrical and DC video tracks for Aliens were completely different videos as the DC had Cameron's new mastering work while the theatrical used the old grainy 86 print?

No, they both have the new mastering.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

frumpsnake posted:

If Aliens only took up 20GB of a Blu-Ray there'd be an outcry among nerds that Fox weren't bothering to encode their films properly. Yet as soon as those nerds have to get up off the couch after two hours to change a disc...

Let's be fair here, though - higher bitrate does not automatically equal better picture. There's a point of diminishing returns on everything, but there's no penalty for using more bitrate than you really need. Sure, if the space is there set the encode "MAXX Quality" and walk away. But hell, I've seen BR rips at 10G that look pretty loving good. I can't imagine you couldn't get some great picture quality at a lower bitrate than studios use now.

It's not a big deal at the end of the day, but I think the idea that the EEs would look horrible on one disc is misguided.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I never said they'd look horrible on one disc. I don't think they would necessarily, bitrate certainly isn't everything. Blade Runner looks great and that doesn't even hit 24GB in size. The theatrical Blu-Ray of FOTR is clearly the worst looking despite being the shortest, and none of the 3 transfers are exactly reference material. Who can claim to know exactly how much effort New Line would put in to tweaking the encode to make it look good?

This isn't an argument that the extra bitrate is absolutely necessary, more that it's certainly not a hindrance and despite going out of their way to make the films look good and encode them at comparable bitrates to shorter films, they get complaints because people are too lazy to spend fifteen seconds changing a disc.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 11, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like The Blues Brothers will not only have both the theatrical and extended cuts, but DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 on both. The special edition DVD had 5.1 only on the extended cut, with only the original 2.0 stereo on the theatrical.

The opening of "She Caught the Katy" is going to sound epic.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like The Blues Brothers will not only have both the theatrical and extended cuts, but DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 on both. The special edition DVD had 5.1 only on the extended cut, with only the original 2.0 stereo on the theatrical.

The opening of "She Caught the Katy" is going to sound epic.

Very excited for this on blu ray.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

The pHo posted:

That's what I thought too

penismightier posted:

No, they both have the new mastering.

Oh.

Anyways I'm sure they'll have some sort of interlude thing to stay on the screen to maintain ambience or something. As many times as I've seen those movies I don't think I've ever made it through the extended ed's without a pee break anyways, except of course the first time watching them.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
I haven't seen anything yet, but I'm looking forward to reviews of the Gettysburg and Gods & Generals releases on May 24. I want to know if WB did Gettysburg justice and if Gods & Generals is an improvement over the disappointing 2007 BR/HD DVD release.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I love all the "FAT LAZY NERDS DON'T WANT TO GET OFF THE COUCH" stuff that comes out whenever someone asks why the LOTR movies aren't single-disc. I don't think it's really a deal-breaker to anyone, but ideally it'd be nice not to break it up. Like many people, I thought blu-rays might be able to accommodate that ideal, but it turns out they can't without sacrificing something (possibly) significant. Bummer, but life goes on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'd like to thank everyone who recommended that Alien Anthology UK set, it arrived, plays just fine on my PS3 (the box had the ABC regions logo in fact) and the video quality is gloriously grainy and clean at the same time.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Steve Yun posted:

I'd like to thank everyone who recommended that Alien Anthology UK set, it arrived, plays just fine on my PS3 (the box had the ABC regions logo in fact) and the video quality is gloriously grainy and clean at the same time.

I got mine too and it might just be my favorite box set right now. It's definitely m favorite deal to brag about.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Citizen Kane preorders are up at Amazon.

As far as I can tell, the Citizen Kane: Ultimate Collector's Edition is Citizen Kane on Blu-Ray, The Battle Over Citizen Kane on DVD and RKO 281 on DVD along with a whole bunch of other poo poo like books/cards/etc.

$45.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0050G3NWG

There is also an Amazon only edition with a remastered The Magnificent Ambersons on DVD for an extra $10.50

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001PIHH5M

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 13, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm eager to find out the final specs, even if it'll be like most of Warner's other classic Blu re-issues: incredible remaster, but otherwise identical extras to the last edition. Of course, the commentaries by Peter Bogdanovich and Roger Ebert are excellent.

The shocker is that The Magnificent Ambersons is going to be a bare-bones DVD-only Amazon exclusive. :psyduck:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

I want this, just because it's such a good deal. I only like the first two movies, but I want to start building up my collection.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I got mine the other day as well, the deal was too great to pass up and it was well worth waiting on the long shipping period. I've been wanting these movies since before the Blu-Rays and now I finally own them in beautiful quality- one of the few sets where I actually give a poo poo about watching all the featurettes and extra content, and it even has me curious to watch Resurrection again just because everything looks so drat good, although that'll probably wind up being a mistake.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Firefly is Amazon's Deal Of The Day today, $23.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001EN71CW

If you don't have it already, now is your chance.

I bought mine last year for $27.99 so I'm pretty sure this is the cheapest it has been.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Die Hard is also cheap again. Managed to order it this time for just under $26 AUD shipped :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wal-marts super deals are always amazing, picked up Bram Stokers and Highlander for $8 CDN each! I had my iPhone with me and did some quick searching, DVDbeaver had nothing bad to say about Dracula and found a Highlander review saying there is some minor issues but it's a big step up.

Was tempted to get Taxi Driver for $19 but it would just be for collections sake -- the movie didn't vibe well with me.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Just picked up Pirates Of The Caribbean Trilogy on amazon uk for £17, I think it was down from about £24. Also Terminator 2 for £8.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Bobby The Rookie posted:

and it even has me curious to watch Resurrection again just because everything looks so drat good, although that'll probably wind up being a mistake.

The trick with Resurrection is to watch it with a "SciFi channel original, b-movie, rip-off of Alien" mindset. If you can do that it's actually kind of tolerable. Just pretend it has nothing to do with the others.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

Citizen Kane preorders are up at Amazon.

As far as I can tell, the Citizen Kane: Ultimate Collector's Edition is Citizen Kane on Blu-Ray, The Battle Over Citizen Kane on DVD and RKO 281 on DVD along with a whole bunch of other poo poo like books/cards/etc.

$45.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0050G3NWG

There is also an Amazon only edition with a remastered The Magnificent Ambersons on DVD for an extra $10.50

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001PIHH5M

I wish there was an option to buy just Ambersons and a single-disc CK. I don't need the extra discs (Battle is a fine doc but I doubt I'd watch it again, and no interest in RKO 281) or all the geegaws. Still, it looks like a reasonably sized package for all that stuff.

edit: hmm maybe not... now that I look closer, it appears to be a tall box that might not fit on my shelf. Gah.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Just picked up my first BD player (a Panasonic DMP-BD65) super cheap on Amazon ($78 with expedited shipping), and it's great, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with the single-disc Matrix BD - as in, there's no menu. I see the Warner Home Video, then a sort of loading screen that seems to be built-in to the disc, meaning it's not my player's load screen. Did they literally not put a menu into this disc? I can't complain too much, I guess since 1) I'm not too big on special features in general, and would gladly exclude them higher definition video, 2) it was dirt cheap, and 3) the transfer is simply stunning.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

dreadnought posted:

Just picked up my first BD player (a Panasonic DMP-BD65) super cheap on Amazon ($78 with expedited shipping), and it's great, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with the single-disc Matrix BD - as in, there's no menu. I see the Warner Home Video, then a sort of loading screen that seems to be built-in to the disc, meaning it's not my player's load screen. Did they literally not put a menu into this disc? I can't complain too much, I guess since 1) I'm not too big on special features in general, and would gladly exclude them higher definition video, 2) it was dirt cheap, and 3) the transfer is simply stunning.

Warner discs usually go straight to the movie. If you need to change anything, you press up on your remote and a little pop-up menu will appear.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Beaten.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Back_From_Termina posted:

The trick with Resurrection is to watch it with a "SciFi channel original, b-movie, rip-off of Alien" mindset. If you can do that it's actually kind of tolerable. Just pretend it has nothing to do with the others.

I really like Resurrection for basically the same reason you gave - it's a really solid b-movie. It's not a "good" movie in the same way that the first two are, but in terms of pure entertainment value I'd rank it right up there with the originals. Certainly a hundred times better than the boring crapfest that is Alien 3.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
There's a really weird disconnect in Resurrection between the dialog and the way it's delivered. Say what you will about Joss Whedon's writing style (I myself am indifferent), I feel like it's pretty clearly delivered "wrong" in Resurrection.

El Duodenum
Dec 27, 2004

RichterIX posted:

There's a really weird disconnect in Resurrection between the dialog and the way it's delivered. Say what you will about Joss Whedon's writing style (I myself am indifferent), I feel like it's pretty clearly delivered "wrong" in Resurrection.

Agreed. While there are a variety of other factors at play (studio interference, rewrites, etc.), I think the largest single reason why Alien Resurrection doesn't "work" comes down to the directing--which affected the tone of the film, the acting, and the line delivery. There was a nugget of a good story in there, somewhere, but it was executed horribly.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Best Buy has a trade-in program for the next 2-3 weeks (ends on 6/4). Just bring in any commercial DVD, in its case, and it's good for $5 off towards:

This is JUST a sample selection, there are many more titles:
RONIN
12 MONKEYS
SOCIAL NETWORK
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (2-DISC) SPEC ED
ARMY OF DARKNESS SCREWHEAD ED
TAXI DRIVER
JUSTIFIED: 1ST SEASON
BAMBI-DIAMOND EDITION (BD+DVD)
TOY STORY 3 (2-DISC)
BOONDOCK SAINTS
TRUE ROMANCE UR
CARS (BD+DVD)
WAITING FOR SUPERMAN
MATRIX RELOADED
WALK THE LINE
CRAZY HEART
WRESTLER
MR. & MRS. SMITH
OFFICE SPACE
DONNIE DARKO
FEAR & LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS
PREDATORS
FULL METAL JACKET: DLX ED
FUNNY PEOPLE 2-DISC SPEC ED

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
As a guy who has recently entered the world of HD and Blu-Ray and left wanting more after the glorious looking Tron Legacy, I am looking for advice and great looking movies to watch that take full advantage of what blu-ray has to offer.

A question though, older movies that are been sold on blu-ray, what do they they actually do to make them HD when they obviously were not filmed in that format, and do they actually look good?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

As a guy who has recently entered the world of HD and Blu-Ray and left wanting more after the glorious looking Tron Legacy, I am looking for advice and great looking movies to watch that take full advantage of what blu-ray has to offer.

A question though, older movies that are been sold on blu-ray, what do they they actually do to make them HD when they obviously were not filmed in that format, and do they actually look good?

Blu-ray literally makes black and white shows/movies the sexiest things on earth. What they do is they take the originals, and clean them up with different mastering techniques. I don't know much about this, so I won't say further than that. But here, have some examples of older films that are stunningly beautiful on blu-ray:

Twilight Zone Season 1

The Evil Dead

Taxi Driver

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Uhhhh I don't think you understand. Film is shot on 35MM most times(I'm just going to use 35MM as the example here but there are other formats). 35MM film has way more detail than a movie playing off a blu ray in 1080p. There is no such thing as "filming in HD". 35MM is made for huge theater screens, so really when they make an "HD" master for home distribution they are shrinking it if you think about it.

This whole "old movies weren't shot in HD" is the new "widescreen vs pan & scan" isn't it?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080324185659AA4JqZT :negative:

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 14, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ApexAftermath posted:

Uhhhh I don't think you understand. Film is shot on 35MM most times(I'm just going to use 35MM as the example here but there are other formats). 35MM film has way more detail than a movie playing off a blu ray in 1080p. There is no such thing as "filming in HD". 35MM is made for huge theater screens, so really when they make an "HD" master for home distribution they are shrinking it if you think about it.

This whole "old movies weren't shot in HD" is the new "widescreen vs pan & scan" isn't it?

Well, it actually depends on how they scan the film in.

Most are done at 2K, Taxi Driver was done at 4K and Baraka was scanned in at 8K.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sporadic posted:

Well, it actually depends on how they scan the film in.

Most are done at 2K, Taxi Driver was done at 4K and Baraka was scanned in at 8K.

What I am saying is the idea that old movies "weren't shot in HD so they can't be HD" is a total misunderstanding of the entire concept. HD is just a way to display video in the currently highest quality on a home display. Something shot on film is going to(in most cases) be MUCH higher quality than 1080p because it is meant to be displayed on a theater screen from the beginning.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Taxi Driver and Apocalypse Now will blow your mind when you realize the cinematographers didn't, in fact, record the movie onto dirty diapers and old newspapers, but rather used actual film.

(Seriously, those movies have looked so ugly for so long)

Also, Dr. Strangelove is my favorite B&W HOLY poo poo Bluray.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Taxi Driver and Apocalypse Now will blow your mind when you realize the cinematographers didn't, in fact, record the movie onto dirty diapers and old newspapers, but rather used actual film.

(Seriously, those movies have looked so ugly for so long)

Also, Dr. Strangelove is my favorite B&W HOLY poo poo Bluray.

I know this is going to sound crazy but I had never seen Taxi Driver before I bought it on blu ray. I saw you guys talking about how great it looked, felt shame for having never seen it, and blind bought it. The picture is absolutely unbelievable.

I have seen Apocalypse Now though. I can't wait to pick it up on blu. Going to wait and get the version with hearts of darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Seconding this, and nice replies so far. Really looking forward to see which other films really get the most from Blu Ray. Adding Taxi Driver and Dr. Strangelove on my to-buy list.

• Locked thread