Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Eggplant Wizard posted:

There is no reason why it should... The lease just goes to you, your cosigner, and your landlords. The credit check they do is preliminary and as far as I know they don't go back and tell the credit bureau "Yes we are picking him OK?" Like the other Trophy av person said, unless you get in trouble, it shouldn't show up.

Thanks (and to the guy above you as well). That's what I figured as well, but opinions are very...mixed on this across the web for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

If you get a lift home from a dealership courtesy driver, you aren't supposed to tip them right? I know you would tip a taxi driver but an auto dealer courtesy shuttle?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

SuperS posted:

what is the predominant instrument used in this part of the song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNvVeGgpO8&t=164

Perhaps a french horn?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

The Aphasian posted:

Small decorating question: Hanging a series of prints in my office above my desk. The drop-ceiling is not level; over the 10' on that wall it has a 1" difference in height. Due to an above the desk cabinet thing, I have to hang them ~8" from the ceiling.

Should they follow the line of the ceiling or be true-level? Either way the will clash with the line of the cabinet or the ceiling, respectively. I'm leaning towards "true-level".

I didn't see anyone answer you, so my opinion is yes, go with true level.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
What's the movie made up of HD footage from all over the world? No plot I don't think. The name is one non-english word, maybe Mayan or aboriginal meaning?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zegnar posted:

What's the movie made up of HD footage from all over the world? No plot I don't think. The name is one non-english word, maybe Mayan or aboriginal meaning?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi ?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Bojanglesworth posted:

Perhaps a french horn?

Too brassy to be a french horn. I'm going to guess a muted trumpet or maybe a cornet.

e: The album credits Nate Walcott on horn, which generally denotes a french horn, but not necessarily. His wikipedia says he plays the trumpet and the flugelhorn, and it could be the latter as well in that song.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 11, 2011

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Yes, thank you! Amazing.

Edit: also was thinking of the related movie Baraka

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Sanford posted:

Does anyone know how much notice our landlord needs to give us to leave a rented property in the UK? I am having no luck finding a clear answer online. Some facts that may or may not be relevant:

1) We've lived there for 4 years come July
2) The house is rented as fully furnished
3) No maintenance has been carried out in the time we have lived there, except a new fuse box when the old one exploded
4) We have reported several issues (leaky pipes, persistent damp/mould) to the letting agent but they have taken no action
5) We have had no contact with the letting agent for over a year, although the terms of the lease state property inspections will take place every 3 months

Take a look at your contract. I think the minimum would be 1 month but it should be equal to the amount of notice you have to give your landlord if you vacate, if ot more.

What type of contract have you got? Fixed term, rolling contract? If it's fixed then you should be aware of the termination date, though notice should still be given.

Arsenic Life Form
Jan 1, 2011
Does anyone know of a web-based service or tool that allows you to run pairwise comparison tests? Think of something like HotorNot, where you compare two things at a time and end up with a ranking or ELO score of all items, only with your own content.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Arsenic Life Form posted:

Does anyone know of a web-based service or tool that allows you to run pairwise comparison tests? Think of something like HotorNot, where you compare two things at a time and end up with a ranking or ELO score of all items, only with your own content.

I swear Randall Munroe used to have this site as open source:
http://bestthing.info/algorithms.html
If it were still open source, you could spawn your own server and populate the content.

But I can't find any reference to what the status of the code is.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

gwar3k1 posted:

Take a look at your contract. I think the minimum would be 1 month but it should be equal to the amount of notice you have to give your landlord if you vacate, if ot more.

What type of contract have you got? Fixed term, rolling contract? If it's fixed then you should be aware of the termination date, though notice should still be given.

This. There isn't a universal rule - you need to look at your contract.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

SuperS posted:

what is the predominant instrument used in this part of the song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNvVeGgpO8&t=164

Definitely not French Horn. Sounds like a trumpet.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Anyone know where I can find those corgi .gifs that were popular here years ago? I've tried looking everywhere here and can't seem to find them. I get flooded on Google with all the corgi pictures, as everyone loves their corgi.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Zeta Taskforce posted:

It is also worth noting they do not take credit cards, and that would be another way they keep costs down.

This confused me for a bit, but then I realized that I have only ever gone to Costco with my dad and he probably uses his Amex card. I looked it up and sure enough they only take American Express. Which is weird and probably not very helpful for most people, but it is something. Do you usually pay by check?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Barometer posted:

I didn't see anyone answer you, so my opinion is yes, go with true level.

Thanks.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Ror posted:

This confused me for a bit, but then I realized that I have only ever gone to Costco with my dad and he probably uses his Amex card. I looked it up and sure enough they only take American Express. Which is weird and probably not very helpful for most people, but it is something. Do you usually pay by check?

You're right. I forgot about that. They issue AMEX cards. I get their preapprovals every month or so. Because of that they probably have some deal with them where they don't have to pay AMEX interchange fees.

Personally I pay with a debit card. Ordinarily at stores you get the choice to swipe it and sign the receipt or do it as a PIN based transaction. Without derailing too much, banks want you to sign because they get more revenue that way, stores want you to key in youp PIN. At Costco your only option is to key in your PIN.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

Definitely not French Horn. Sounds like a trumpet.

I'm agreeing with trumpet too, not bassy enough for a french horn. But it doesn't sound exactly like a trumpet, even muted; it sound more...tinny, for lack of better terminology.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

1) Is there a good <$100 solar usb charger? I know that solar tech is still somewhat limited in efficacy, but the best rated usb solar chargers on Amazon still only charge their internal batteries 50%.

2) I do not understand why you cannot leave it in the sun 2, or even 3, times as long and get it up to 100%. Can someone explain this in relatively simple terms?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I really doubt anyone will be able to answer this (might be a Q for the docs' forum), but can the human body digest octopus ink? Just wondering because of some very off-coloured, err, produce after eating some pasta with an inky sauce...

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Aside from Craigslist, can someone give me a good resource for finding a studio apartment in San Francisco? There are so many properties that it'd take weeks if I just canvassed neighborhoods, and even then it'd be hard to find something in my price range.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Padmapper.com
Hotpads.com

Both of them are aggregators that pull from multiple sources. I prefer padmapper. Neither are perfect though.. You've still got to search around for stuff.

You'd be surprised at how many landlords don't bother to list their rentals online, so I wouldn't give up on the driving around the streets idea.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'd estimate that the 50% range don't advertise online from my recent search.

I used an apt mapper and similar sources to match my area, and then looked up each one on aptreviews (accounting for the fact that the most likely people to leave reviews will have a negative review of the place).

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

KittenofDoom posted:

Aside from Craigslist, can someone give me a good resource for finding a studio apartment in San Francisco? There are so many properties that it'd take weeks if I just canvassed neighborhoods, and even then it'd be hard to find something in my price range.

I used an actual apartment finder company. No charge to me, they get paid by whichever complex I signed with. See if there are any of those in sf?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Is there any way to change viewing permissions of existing posts on Facebook? I have it set to only show to certain people by default so I don't have to keep adding their names every time but I keep forgetting to set the privacy to public or whatever for other stuff.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Is there any way to change viewing permissions of existing posts on Facebook? I have it set to only show to certain people by default so I don't have to keep adding their names every time but I keep forgetting to set the privacy to public or whatever for other stuff.

All of those settings are in here:

To get to that window click "account" in the top right corner, then click "Privacy Settings." To change them click "Customize settings."

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Squalitude posted:

I really doubt anyone will be able to answer this (might be a Q for the docs' forum), but can the human body digest octopus ink? Just wondering because of some very off-coloured, err, produce after eating some pasta with an inky sauce...

Not a doc, but in my experience pigments from foods usually carry over into your poops. Some things seem to have a greater affect. Go eat a big bowl of beets and I bet it will be similar to the octopus ink.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would reptile eggs interchangeable with avian eggs for purposes of cooking?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
From living in Japan I regarded their battles about high school skirt lengths to be archaic, like the ones my mom told me about from going to school in the 60s. I was just reading this (Japan and Korea have so much more in common than they want to admit) and talking to a friend in Tucson about it, and he told me that skirt length as part of HS dress codes is alive and well there. Is that the case in a lot of of the US and I just don't know it, because I grew up in in the liberal (and cold) northwest?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 12, 2011

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Bojanglesworth posted:

All of those settings are in here:

To get to that window click "account" in the top right corner, then click "Privacy Settings." To change them click "Customize settings."

No, a single existing post. Like I made a post with the wrong settings and now I want to change just that one post's privacy setting.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Gravity Pike posted:

My Visa credit card doesn't work at my local grocery store (QFC), but works elsewhere. My Visa debt card, through the same bank, does work at the QFC. I noticed this maybe a week ago. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

I'd say it's an error in the system of QFC. Obviously it's not a Visa issue and it's not an issue with your card. Their systems may not be able to read that particular card for some reason.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Samurai Sanders posted:

From living in Japan I regarded their battles about high school skirt lengths to be archaic, like the ones my mom told me about from going to school in the 60s. I was just reading this (Japan and Korea have so much more in common than they want to admit) and talking to a friend in Tucson about it, and he told me that skirt length as part of HS dress codes is alive and well there. Is that the case in a lot of of the US and I just don't know it, because I grew up in in the liberal (and cold) northwest?

At my high school (in liberal suburban Detroit), there were plenty of dress code rules. Generally, shorts/skirts had to be to your fingertips. We also couldn't wear tank or tube tops. Or hats in class. I don't think it's archaic (though no tank tops was a bit much), it's a school and dress codes are pretty standard. Some kids would wear bikinis to class if you let them.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

feedmyleg posted:

Would reptile eggs interchangeable with avian eggs for purposes of cooking?

This is my only point of reference but yes.

edit: oh wait...do you want to bake a cake or something, or are you asking if they're edible?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

RaoulDuke12 posted:

This is my only point of reference but yes.

edit: oh wait...do you want to bake a cake or something, or are you asking if they're edible?

Great book!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does anyone have any experience running their home computer as a deep freeze machine with the saving of documents/game saves/whatever to cloud storage?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

change my name posted:

Does anyone have any experience running their home computer as a deep freeze machine with the saving of documents/game saves/whatever to cloud storage?

Not at home, but I have run deep freeze machines before. What exactly are you unsure about?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I was just wondering if it was possible to have my home computer set up entirely for deep freeze/cloud saving, and what kind of hassles it'd entail, and whether or not it would be practical enough for something I'd be using everyday

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
Question: How can I tell where I have to get off the bus I am on and get onto another one by looking at my reciept and intinerary?

It reads as follows

CITY---------------ARRIVAL----LAYOVER------DEPARTURE
pittsburgh PA------------------------------- 9:00 am
RS Sliding H PA -----10:50 am---- 0:30---------10:45 am
Harrisburg PA -------1:05 pm------0:25---------1:30 pm
Philadelphia PA------4:10 pm-----0: 35---------4:45 pm
New York NY--------7:40 pm

I will be on this bus tomorrow and assume that a "RS Sliding H" is moon language for a transfer (aka get off the old bus, get onto the new one). Any help is greatly appriciated.

21 years old and I can't read a bus ticket. :unsmith:

Toadstrieb fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 12, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
The first problem I can think of is that a frozen machine will need to resync everything any time you reboot it.

I think it might be more practical to load you machine, and create a recovery disk with clonezilla or a some sort of similar approach in case you get infected, want to start over, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
In terms of identity theft, what could somebody to me if they knew my first name, my last name, and an old address that is no longer the billing address for any of my credit cards or my debit card? An old "friend of a friend" has turned out to be really sketchy.

My sister and her husband now live at my old address, if that matters.