Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

dmccaff posted:

Finally caved in to buying a kindle yesterday. Looking forward to its arrival!

Has anyone read the Song of Ice and Fire series on the kindle? Back when I was looking at amazon reviews before Christmas people were complaining the first book was full of random mistakes. Is this still the case or have they released flashy new editions to go along with the TV show?

They have not (as far as I know) released "remastered" versions of Ice & Fire.

That said, they are not (imo) "full of random mistakes," so much as they are lazily OCR'd and have a few odd mistakes scattered throughout. In the first 5% of the first book (as far as I've gotten on my re-read,) I've only noticed one error and it was pretty minor (an rn instead of an m.)

YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cartoon Man posted:

Would anybody pay $50 for an ad-supported kindle that displayed a full page ad every 100 pages or so that you read? Lets say that you could press the page flip button and immediately skip through it when it came up.

What if it was a $30 kindle but had an ad every 50 pages?
How about FREE but it displayed an ad every 20 pages? (But you have to immediately purchase a book or two in order to get it for free.)

I got to thinking about this the other day and wondered how cheap they would have to make it in order for me to put up with an ad showing up in the middle of my reading. We see ads all the time as we browse the web and ignore them, would we be able to do the same in the middle of reading a book? Would a cheaper price on the kindle offset that anoyance for you? I'm really not sure, I would have to test it out for a week or so to see. It may not bother me at all to immediately skip through the ad page to continue the story. Because of the e-ink screen, its not like they could have crazy strobe-effect ads blinking in your face to claim your free IPAD now!!!

As for the current ad-supported kindle, I would't pay more than a $100 for it regardless of where the ads show up.

This would be really funny because it would be exactly like the cigarette ads in cheap paperbacks from the 50's - 70's.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So I did the screensaver hack for my Kindle. I can't seem to get the randomization to work. Also, do I have to restart the Kindle every time I add more images to the Screensaver folder?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Beastie posted:

So I did the screensaver hack for my Kindle. I can't seem to get the randomization to work. Also, do I have to restart the Kindle every time I add more images to the Screensaver folder?

Yes you have to restart every time you add more. I don't think there is any downside, but the new images won't be added until it reboots.

If you followed the wiki instructions for random, I don't know what to tell you, it worked perfectly for me. Maybe you put the random file in the wrong place? It goes in the linkss folder.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Yes you have to restart every time you add more. I don't think there is any downside, but the new images won't be added until it reboots.

If you followed the wiki instructions for random, I don't know what to tell you, it worked perfectly for me. Maybe you put the random file in the wrong place? It goes in the linkss folder.

This worked for me, but it's not truly random - it randomized the order, but now it cycles through the same "random" order each time. I'm guessing that's as random as I'll be able to get it, though.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish it was like itunes, because it copies poo poo to the library, but if you have a duplicate file of say like 20k leagues, then what it does is it copies the same file instead of moving it. You now have 2 of them.

There's a plugin to assist with managing detecting and managing duplicates. It's going to be incorporated into the main program at some point and I think this sort of stuff is fairly high on the to-do list.

I think that Calibre is one of those programes that is actually really good in spite of itself. It's extemely powerful and customisable, but suffers from some poor design that makes a lot of that stuff hard to get at. In some ways I think it does too much as well, it's so cluttered and overloaded with features that most people will never use that it feels like somne sort of bloated (even if they're all legitimate features) comedy Swiss Army Knife.

Also, at the end of the day. There is a "you get what you pay for" element to it. I'd love some kind of device specific Calibre light with a lot of the extra stuff removed. I'd happily pay for it.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

This worked for me, but it's not truly random - it randomized the order, but now it cycles through the same "random" order each time. I'm guessing that's as random as I'll be able to get it, though.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think it generates a new randomized list each time the Kindle is restarted if the random file is present.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Levitate posted:

Hah, I'm not really upset about this because it's not a big deal (and printing errors occur in real books all the time), but I'm reading book 3 of the Malazan series on my new Kindle and there are some weird formatting screw ups (like inconsistent italics at times) and the name of one area in the world got mistakenly changed to Mom instead of Morn in a couple of instances, lol

I'm sure you'll grow to love Toe the Younger.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

There's a plugin to assist with managing detecting and managing duplicates. It's going to be incorporated into the main program at some point and I think this sort of stuff is fairly high on the to-do list.

I think that Calibre is one of those programes that is actually really good in spite of itself. It's extemely powerful and customisable, but suffers from some poor design that makes a lot of that stuff hard to get at. In some ways I think it does too much as well, it's so cluttered and overloaded with features that most people will never use that it feels like somne sort of bloated (even if they're all legitimate features) comedy Swiss Army Knife.

Also, at the end of the day. There is a "you get what you pay for" element to it. I'd love some kind of device specific Calibre light with a lot of the extra stuff removed. I'd happily pay for it.

Some of this comes from its roots as a Unix program. The design makes less sense on Windows and Mac and the UI fits in better with a Linux distro.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just wish it didn't copy a ebook to a new file folder instead of moving it. what ends up happening when you scan your library it's like "oh i found duplicates" and if you add them you now have the original, the duplicate, and the copy of the duplicate. every time you do it it tries to do this instead of just refreshing and going "here's some new files you didn't have before boss!"

otherwise you have to go through each and every folder and go "delete this copy, delete this copy, delete this copy..." instead of merging it all into the same folder and you delete it through the program

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just wish it didn't copy a ebook to a new file folder instead of moving it. what ends up happening when you scan your library it's like "oh i found duplicates" and if you add them you now have the original, the duplicate, and the copy of the duplicate. every time you do it it tries to do this instead of just refreshing and going "here's some new files you didn't have before boss!"

This confuses me and makes my head hurt. It's behaviour with regards to importing the books into the library strikes me as being the same as most programs of this type. I don't understand where your third copy is coming from.

The author of the program is pretty active on the mobileread forum. If you can explain the issue to him and assuming he's not as dumb as I am (quite likely). There may actually be settings and behind the scene stuff you can do to fix it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

otherwise you have to go through each and every folder and go "delete this copy, delete this copy, delete this copy..." instead of merging it all into the same folder and you delete it through the program

I'm not sure what you mean here, but in preferences you can set the policy on adding a book to merge it with an existing record or not, including whether to overwrite an existing file of the same format.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Levitate posted:

Just slightly surprised there is apparently no proofreading for books converted to electronic format

Oh, it could be much worse. I bought somebody's self-published title for the Kobo last week and got stuck with a real honey of a formatting error. Somehow during the process, every single paragraph break was interpreted as a new chapter...which in this case meant over 600 useless chapters, each of which has a load time like you were opening a new book (since each chapter is a separate file in the .kepub container). At least customer support offered a refund and to flag the issue with the publisher.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
Chiming in to say I just traveled with my kindle for the first time since I got it and holy gently caress I am so happy with this thing.

Didn't have to worry once about it's battery life and I didn't even pull out my laptop the entire time I was at the airport. I kept my nose glued to my kindle the entire time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hughlander posted:

I'm not sure what you mean here, but in preferences you can set the policy on adding a book to merge it with an existing record or not, including whether to overwrite an existing file of the same format.

I mean when adding new books to the library (like from one folder) it should be either:

- You already have this book, skip it?
or
- You already have this book, here's what the two look like (shows file size and like a page from the book) Delete/merge/skip?

on a book by book basis instead of a report at the end.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

elf pr0n posted:

Chiming in to say I just traveled with my kindle for the first time since I got it and holy gently caress I am so happy with this thing.

Didn't have to worry once about it's battery life and I didn't even pull out my laptop the entire time I was at the airport. I kept my nose glued to my kindle the entire time.

Do they bitch at you to turn off your kindle while the plane is taking off?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Levitate posted:

Do they bitch at you to turn off your kindle while the plane is taking off?
You're supposed to turn off everything electronic bro, the EM fields can totally cause the plane to crash.

But yeah, I flew recently and they mentioned "electronic book readers" specifically.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I mean when adding new books to the library (like from one folder) it should be either:

or
- You already have this book, here's what the two look like (shows file size and like a page from the book) Delete/merge/skip?

I personally hate having modal dialogs during a bulk operation but that's just me.

You can do the first already through the config options, you can do the 2nd just with a default answer. So yah not quite what you're looking for, but you can also simulate what you're looking for with the duplicates plugin and a few minutes of work. And you get to do it post importing so that you don't go 15 seconds of waiting, input, 30 seconds waiting, input, 20 seconds waiting, input, etc...

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

GreenBuckanneer posted:

or

I would hazard a guess to say the circumstances where this is an issue is a fairly specific one and has only been a problem for a lot of people recently. That's all a bit cryptic but that's probably all I should say.

When the current de-duping plug-in is added to the program proper maybe they'll introduce something like this for adding books. It would be nice.

I think labelling it "poo poo for library management" because something of this nature is more than a little harsh though. The actual library management stuff it's really good at.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Having to turn your book off for take-off and landing is the worst part about traveling with a Kindle bar none. It has made me get extremely acquainted with in-flight magazines and Sky Mall. Wish the FAA would reexamine that rule.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I'm definitely gonna look into that plugin because that whole scenario just peeved me to no end because I wanted specific feedback and all that jazz I mentioned.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I feel like they've come out and said that it doesn't do jack poo poo and there's no real reason for needing to turn things off but who knows. probably a bitch to change the rules about it or something

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Levitate posted:

I feel like they've come out and said that it doesn't do jack poo poo and there's no real reason for needing to turn things off but who knows. probably a bitch to change the rules about it or something

I read an article by a pilot explaining this rule. It has nothing to do with "electric fields" or whatever. It's that if something goes wrong during landing or take-off, they want people to be aware of where they are and able to listen to instructions, something they won't be able to do with headphones on or messing around with a laptop.

It's the same reason they ask you to open your window shade during landing.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

maxnmona posted:

I read an article by a pilot explaining this rule. It has nothing to do with "electric fields" or whatever. It's that if something goes wrong during landing or take-off, they want people to be aware of where they are and able to listen to instructions, something they won't be able to do with headphones on or messing around with a laptop.

A paper back book is just as distracting as a nook, but you are allowed to keep books out.

What kind of battery life do people get on their ereaders? With the Nook I get maybe 15-20 hours of actual reading between charges. I tend to put the font on medium size so I do a lot of page flips. I think I managed to read most of, but not all of, The Name of the Wind, on one charge.

modig fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 12, 2011

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

maxnmona posted:

The thing is, I know it isn't magnetic fields. I know it's just a lie.

How the gently caress am I seriously going to not notice the plane crashing?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

The thing is, I know it isn't magnetic fields. I know it's just a lie.

How the gently caress am I seriously going to not notice the plane crashing?

They might be aware something is going to go wrong before you can feel it. Also if something goes wrong during, say, take-off, they may not have time to wait for you to remove your headphones before issuing instructions that may keep you from dying.

It was the Ask a Pilot column on Salon.com. I don't really feel like digging up which one though.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 12, 2011

Alvination
Aug 12, 2005

"Let me ask you something: what do women want?"

"Who cares?"
My Kindle just arrived...pretty exited about it. I seriously hope this will make me read more. I've got a couple books I bought a few days ago, basically consulting textbooks, for my Kindle for Mac and started reading that. It's so nice to be able to read 300+ books without lugging all that around.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Funny, I was just on a flight with my Kindle and was asked to turn it off.. For a second I contimplated saying "It's not actually 'on', it's an e-reader and e-ink doesn't work that way..." But I'd probably get a blank stare and create a confrontation, so I said Okay but kept on reading.

edit: my wifi and 3g were off & I did think about that at the time.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 13, 2011

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Yeah. While it is possible to turn it off, just put it to sleep and throw it in your bag or whatever until you have the all clear for electronics.

As for the how long between charges thing? My kindle 2 used to last forever. The 3 now lasts forever and a day. I can go through multiple books between charges.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

modig posted:

A paper back book is just as distracting as a nook, but you are allowed to keep books out.

What kind of battery life do people get on their ereaders? With the Nook I get maybe 15-20 hours of actual reading between charges. I tend to put the font on medium size so I do a lot of page flips. I think I managed to read most of, but not all of, The Name of the Wind, on one charge.

My Kindle lasts for loving ever. I can charge it for a couple of hours and I can use it regularly for a couple of weeks if I switch the wifi off. It's scarily long-lasting.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Honestly, I buy books online and keep a local back up with Calibre; I have never plugged my Kindle3 in just for it to charge. The time it takes to unload the books and keep a backup copy and load the version with now-uniform meta data is enough to keep it perpetually over 95% charged.

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
Bought a kindle 3 with the special offers. The ads aren't at all obtrusive and I'm loving it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

MegaCharger posted:

Bought a kindle 3 with the special offers. The ads aren't at all obtrusive and I'm loving it.

Can you use the screensaver hack?

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate

Can you use the screensaver hack?

Didn't try it. Also I'm not bothered at all by the screensaver, because when the screen saver is on I'm not using the kindle.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

maxnmona posted:

Sounds like somebody just making something up and going with their gut feeling. If they wanted people to listen to instructions then they'd tell them to stow the magazines and paperbacks too.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Vertigus posted:

Sounds like somebody just making something up and going with their gut feeling. If they wanted people to listen to instructions then they'd tell them to stow the magazines and paperbacks too.

I dunno, it was written by a guy who has been a pilot for decades and writes professionally about the air industry. It may not be the whole story, but I don't think he was just pulling it out of his rear end.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm more inclined to think it's a relic of the very very early days of cell phones and band overlap with their radios or something. Like how back with early cordless phones you could pick up someone down the street's conversation.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

And how everytime someone uses a microwave nearby, my music starts to skip (Bluetooth headphones).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MegaCharger posted:

Didn't try it. Also I'm not bothered at all by the screensaver, because when the screen saver is on I'm not using the kindle.

Have you used Calibre or anything like that? I'm interested in that one, but only if it's completely functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomik24
Jan 7, 2010
I placed an order for a kindle too ... also got the cover with the light ... hows the light on the cover ? is it bright enough ?

• Locked thread