Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

qbert posted:

No, they've always been solitary by nature. It's why the T'lan Imass managed to wipe most of them out. Even after they started getting hunted down, they never thought to band together.

They're kind of hippie-ish. They won't band together to fight off a direct threat against themselves, but if there's a big threat against "the world", like a Tyrant or...other things...they'll team up for a while.

This. And when they do team up they're a force to be reckoned with. I believe in the mythos the first Tyrants were Jaghut because when one decided to rule and banded a bunch together they were extremely powerful. Hence why Tyrants = Bad guys.

Heck, can't just one Jaghut basically cause a mini ice-age wherever they dwell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Someone on the Malazan FB community did some cool cover designs. Guess he's gunna do a whole set:

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

Someone on the Malazan FB community did some cool cover designs. Guess he's gunna do a whole set:

Those are pretty badass. They look like pulp science fiction, which I'm okay with.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
"Cutter" is a dumb rear end name and Erikson needs to stop trying to convince me otherwise

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
Just like to note I'm a big fan of these books.

Fantastic writer. I starting reading Glen Cook after I finished number 10 but I just can't stop wanting more Erikson.

Fiddler and Hedge rock.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

those are amazing apart from the flying giant ninja on the gardens of the moon cover

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

L.E. Cheetah posted:

"Cutter" is a dumb rear end name and Erikson needs to stop trying to convince me otherwise

Erikson's names are almost universally really bad.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
On one hand, it's vaguely endearing that the Empress of the Malazan Empire used to be known as "Surly", and things like that. On the other hand, it's like he put so much effort into everything else that when it came to names he was like "eh gently caress it"

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

No, she's Laseen. You see, she changed her name from an adjective to a generic Forgotten Realms fantasy name for no discernible reason.

The main problem with the names might be the whole 'GURPS game from 1980s' phenomenon. A lot of the names are just random things Erikson came up with while he was DMing or rolling up characters on the fly and they stuck.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
what names do you like in other books (that are fantasy)

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

No, she's Laseen. You see, she changed her name from an adjective to a generic Forgotten Realms fantasy name for no discernible reason.

She changed her name to Laseen because it meant "Thronemaster" in her native language, iirc. Not really a spoiler, she then proceeded to steal the throne.

edit: fixed meaning from "Throne Stealer" because Gardens of the Moon was so long ago.

cenzo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 11, 2011

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

You'd think people would've seen that coming...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pretty sure Whiskeyjack commented on it in the prologue of Gardens of the Moon.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I am pretty sure most of the stupid names for Malazans like 'Surly' are Braven Toothisms. He seems to have trained anyone who is anyone, and nobody gets spared one of his nicknames.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

"I need a reason for the stupid names I give people so I'll have a character with a stupid name give other characters stupid nicknames"

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The marine names are fine, cause I understand the nickname thing, and enjoy a lot of them. It's another aspect of them losing their previous lives entirely to become fighting forces. You don't know anybody's real name, aside from Kalam, WJ and Quick.

Aside from the marines, I'd say Erikson is like 1 for 2 on names. I can forgive generic fantasy names, Trull, Rhulad, et al, then there are dumb ones, like Fear, Rake, Bugg, every Watered/Pure etc., then there are a host of decent names, Karsa, Gothos, Fisher Kel Tath, etc. So whatever.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

You don't know anybody's real name, aside from Kalam, WJ and Quick.

I don't think we know Whiskeyjack's real name. Iskar Jarak was given to him by the Anibar.

Aside from the marines, I'd say Erikson is like 1 for 2 on names. I can forgive generic fantasy names, Trull, Rhulad, et al, then there are dumb ones, like Fear, Rake, Bugg, every Watered/Pure etc., then there are a host of decent names, Karsa, Gothos, Fisher Kel Tath, etc. So whatever.

I'm with you on Fear, but Bugg is a perfect name for that character. Tehol even says he likes it better than his real name. Rake is kind of goofy on its own, but Anomandaris Dragnipurake is pretty cool.

I generally like the marines' names, though some of them are kind of stupid. I think the most successful names (can a name be said to be successful?) are the really ancient ones like Kilmandaros, Icarium and Dessimbelackis, because there's just something about them that evokes antiquity to me.

One of the most annoying things about this series is that a lot of characters have very similar sounding names, which only adds to the general confusion.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

One of the most annoying things about this series is that a lot of characters have very similar sounding names, which only adds to the general confusion.

I like that some people have the same names. It's more realistic, even if having two characters named Pearl was awfully confusing for a bit.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

The main problem with the names might be the whole 'GURPS game from 1980s' phenomenon. A lot of the names are just random things Erikson came up with while he was DMing or rolling up characters on the fly and they stuck.

Huh? The names Erikson uses have a lot in common with Dickens, if anything. That's a very obvious influence that he even acknowledged.

Not sure Dickens copied names from GURPS.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I generally like the names. Sure some are fairly stupid fantasy names but they are usually less offensive than Drizzt or Dr Raven Darktalon Blood. And I rather like the marines nickname thing even if some of them are stupid. I just imagine that they pissed off their drillmaster and he punished them with a dumb name that will follow them forever.

With the names sounding alike and two pearls how many guys named John have you met in your life?

And as far as Cutter goes didn't Crokus come up with that himself? Look at the real world when dumb kids name themselves, you get stupid internet names like xXxSephirothxXx. I envisioned that when Crokus was all like "call me Cutter now!" everyone around him was all

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Are people really going to say they dont like Sweetlard and Rumjugs? Get the hell out. Just go.

There's only one really bad name in the Malazan world, and that is Kyle. It just doesn't fit at all.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

the periodic fable posted:

what names do you like in other books (that are fantasy)

Martin does a good job with names, as does Abercrombie. Their names are 'fantasy' but not so fantastical as to sound like they'd be completely out of place in real life. 'Roose Bolton' isn't a real name but it's not so jarring that it takes over the narrative. Erikson's names were occasionally bad enough to unnecessarily throw me for a loop while reading.

It's a matter of preference, and I understood the marines 'callsign' thing even if it didn't seem particularly consistent until about halfway through the series.

Abalieno posted:

Huh? The names Erikson uses have a lot in common with Dickens, if anything. That's a very obvious influence that he even acknowledged.

Not sure Dickens copied names from GURPS.

My favorite part of A Tale of Two Cities is when Khrugava went to the guillotine in place of K'azz D'Avore.

I can see maybe some sort of vague Dickens influence in the marine names (see: Artful Dodger), but the vast majority of characters are more Drizzt Do'Urden than anything.

Hondo82 posted:

Are people really going to say they dont like Sweetlard and Rumjugs? Get the hell out. Just go.

There's only one really bad name in the Malazan world, and that is Kyle. It just doesn't fit at all.

The entire New Bridgeburners plot should have probably had an editor's scalpel taken to it because it just didn't go anywhere. I got that it was more comic relief than anything but I thought it was pretty unnecessary.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 12, 2011

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

L.E. Cheetah posted:

Cutter is supposed to be a dumb name. The character takes the name in an attempt to be scarier and more assassin sounding but it's a nickname for healers. That was entirely intentional.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!
Just finished Midnight Tides and now have started Night of Knives.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hondo82 posted:

Sorry is a stupid name, nickname or otherwise.

Also you say this as if one of the main characters isn't named Ben.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Sorry but Sorry is a hilarious name.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
I guess it's better to quote Erikson himself at this point:

quote:

In practical terms, characters generally arrive (for me) as names first; sometimes that name describes something about the character, in a Dickensian fashion; while at other times that name runs counter to the character’s traits. Two examples would be Antsy for a nervous, agitated, paranoid character; and Tiny Chanter, for the biggest and nastiest of the Chanter brothers. Obviously, some characters arrive with names that have no earthly correlation, and there I find that the ones that sound right in my head often do so because they trigger some related (or not-so-related) image or emotion in me. In still other instances, I use names to resonate with historical, earthly personages, though usually when I do that I disguise that resonance so that only I am aware of it. Finally, some names I invent and keep only because I like the look and sound of them.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

He doesn't say he was influenced by Dickens, just that the underlying reasons for the names are similar. Naming a guy who has red hair 'Red' doesn't require you to be influenced by Dickens. That actually really didn't bother me too much because there was a compelling reason for it in Malazan world, but it also was not always consistently applied. The aforementioned Pearl, for example, is a 'noun/adjective' name and yet the character is a Claw and not a Marine. The Crimson Guard are the worst offenders, alternating between 'noun/adjective' and 'fantasy' names without any rhyme or reason at all, though that's at least partly Esslemont's fault.

Again, I think the naming scheme was hurt by the fact that a lot of the characters came from his tabletop RPG campaign and thus he was married to names that he rolled up in the 80s, often probably on the fly. Really, K'azz D'avore.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 12, 2011

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lunchtray posted:

Just finished Midnight Tides and now have started Night of Knives.

I'm so sorry in advance.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

Cutter is supposed to be a dumb name. The character takes the name in an attempt to be scarier and more assassin sounding but it's a nickname for healers. That was entirely intentional.

LtSmash posted:

And as far as Cutter goes didn't Crokus come up with that himself? Look at the real world when dumb kids name themselves, you get stupid internet names like xXxSephirothxXx. I envisioned that when Crokus was all like "call me Cutter now!" everyone around him was all :rolleyes:

That was definitely my reaction to it. If it was intentional then why does every other character's internal dialogue take his new name so seriously? There's no way. Crokus turned into this hard-bitten assassin type and Erikson wanted him to have an awesome hard-bitten new name.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

L.E. Cheetah posted:

That was definitely my reaction to it. If it was intentional then why does every other character's internal dialogue take his new name so seriously? There's no way. Crokus turned into this hard-bitten assassin type and Erikson wanted him to have an awesome hard-bitten new name.

It's almost certainly intentional. IIRC one of the first times he tells someone his name is Cutter they ask if he's a docter and it's a reference to Croaker the doctor from the Black Company series.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

It's almost certainly intentional. IIRC one of the first times he tells someone his name is Cutter they ask if he's a docter and it's a reference to Croaker the doctor from the Black Company series.

Again, I'd believe this if every other character didn't take his name so seriously. Their musings on his name change always go along the lines of "A hard name... for a the hard man he was becoming." "His new name suited Cutter's new nature...".

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Maybe they were smirking when they said it.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Abalieno posted:

I guess it's better to quote Erikson himself at this point:

He talks too much.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

The entire New Bridgeburners plot should have probably had an editor's scalpel taken to it because it just didn't go anywhere. I got that it was more comic relief than anything but I thought it was pretty unnecessary.

I'm not sure I entirely agree. Though they didn't do a ton plot wise, they helped set up some of the more moving scenes with Fid and Hedge. Some of the stuff the former did toward the end seemed very fueled by the emotional scenes just before that.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

qbert posted:

I'm so sorry in advance.

You know I've been bracing myself on how bad Night of Knives could be but I'm 50 pg's in of 230 and so far it hasn't been so bad.

I've found it's fast and easy to read so far without much elaboration outside of basic necessity to setup a scene. It's far simpler than Erikson's work but so far it's almost a break from slogging through the first 5 in a row so far.

Who knows that might change shortly...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lunchtray posted:

You know I've been bracing myself on how bad Night of Knives could be but I'm 50 pg's in of 230 and so far it hasn't been so bad.

I've found it's fast and easy to read so far without much elaboration outside of basic necessity to setup a scene. It's far simpler than Erikson's work but so far it's almost a break from slogging through the first 5 in a row so far.

Who knows that might change shortly...

Well I guess as long as you don't ask yourself why the two main characters do what they do, you might be fine...

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

qbert posted:

Well I guess as long as you don't ask yourself why the two main characters do what they do, you might be fine...

Kiska and Temper? Yeah, I have no idea why they're doing what they're doing at this point. Maybe they're just the types that just somehow get sucked into happenings outside their control and are along for the ride either by accident, stupidity, naive interest, or it's something about their personality that hasn't really been explained well yet.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

the whole 'GURPS game from 1980s' phenomenon.

Well, this explains the Che'Malle, I guess. Giant dinosaurs with swords for hands that can fly airplanes. It sounds like some nerd group's epic injoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

L.E. Cheetah posted:

Well, this explains the Che'Malle, I guess. Giant dinosaurs with swords for hands that can fly airplanes. It sounds like some nerd group's epic injoke.

Don't forget the dinosaurs with tesla-coil backbacks.