Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well it is going to need to integrate with a MS AD controller, that is what I am a bit worried about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Zom Aur posted:

The open driver might help you there. I remember it saving my rear end when I was stuck with a laptop that had some crap ati card.

Acceleration, compositing and suspend to ram worked close to flawlessly on that machine. The fact that I had to spend hours compiling mesa and the open driver made it almost worthwhile. :)

Still, depends very much on what card you have and what version of the driver you have available. There's also stuff like radeonhd that you could try.

Yeah, radeonHD wouldn't work on this model. . . Was just a weeee bit too old.

Corvettefisher posted:

So I am going to start up a samba box for testing and learning, I hear it is a bit of a bumpy road, Have any of you all had experience with it?

As Bob said, as long as you're not doing AD stuff, retardedly simple. Just remember don't install samba4, samba3 is a LOT easier to work with, although I hear 4 is getting there.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
If you're feeling lazy use SWAT for Samba. Makes something already easy even easier.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

There are two servers, the first has a directory containing many files, all of which I want to move to the second. I have SSH and FTP access to the first, but only FTP access to the second, otherwise I'd just use SCP.

What's the best way to get the directories and files over to the second? I had a go at connecting from the first to the second using FTP, but couldn't figure out a way to put things recursively.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anjow posted:

There are two servers, the first has a directory containing many files, all of which I want to move to the second. I have SSH and FTP access to the first, but only FTP access to the second, otherwise I'd just use SCP.

What's the best way to get the directories and files over to the second? I had a go at connecting from the first to the second using FTP, but couldn't figure out a way to put things recursively.

FTP them to your PC and use a client like filezilla to put them back, it will create the folders etc.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Anjow posted:

ncftp can easily put recursively, use "put -R"

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Anjow posted:

I generally use the lftp mirror command, the ncftp recusive mode mentioned above is similar. Or depending on how big the data is, a bigass tar file (possibly chopped into bits, using split and then cat to reconstruct it on the other end), but I guess if you don't have SSH then you won't be able to do that.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 11, 2011

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
This is kind of a noob question, but I'm working on Solaris 10 without root privileges and I need to identify what pid is listening on what port. I know there's a tool called lsof, but it's not installed and I don't have the access to install it. So for example, say I want to find out what port an Apache server is listening to (without looking at the config files)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alman posted:

This is kind of a noob question, but I'm working on Solaris 10 without root privileges and I need to identify what pid is listening on what port. I know there's a tool called lsof, but it's not installed and I don't have the access to install it. So for example, say I want to find out what port an Apache server is listening to (without looking at the config files)?

nmap -sV

?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Bob Morales posted:

nmap -sV

?

It's not on the server (and like I said I don't have root privileges so I can't install it)

I tried using pfiles, but that also has a problem with access since my user group doesn't own the processes I'm looking at

edit: vvv yeah that uses pfiles which is a dead end :( vvv

torb main fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 11, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Alman posted:

code:
#!/bin/ksh

line='---------------------------------------------'
pids=$(/usr/bin/ps -ef | sed 1d | awk '{print $2}')

if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
   read ans?"Enter port you would like to know pid for: "
else
   ans=$1
fi

for f in $pids
do
   /usr/proc/bin/pfiles $f 2>/dev/null | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -q "port: $ans"
   if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
      echo $line
      echo "Port: $ans is being used by PID:\c"
      /usr/bin/ps -ef -o pid -o args | egrep -v "grep|pfiles" | grep $f
   fi
done
exit 0

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Alman posted:

It's not on the server (and like I said I don't have root privileges so I can't install it)

I tried using pfiles, but that also has a problem with access since my user group doesn't own the processes I'm looking at

You'd use nmap to scan the server from your laptop or another machine on the network

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Bob Morales posted:

You'd use nmap to scan the server from your laptop or another machine on the network

I hate to keep going on like "that won't work, oh yeah also that won't work either" but this is really a weird scenario - I don't want to delve into all the details but basically my org's user group is sort of gimped as we don't truly "own" the server, and on top of that the security group doesn't like ANYONE except themselves running security scanners. If I could just pop into all of the config files to find these ports that'd be great, but again, I don't have read access to the install directories for all of the services.

This might be impossible with the ridiculous restrictions placed on my usergroup, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone knew a trick. This isn't for any sort of subversion or trickery or anything, just an annoying restriction making my life difficult.

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
I'm in the unfortunate position of needing to upgrade a handful of computers in my office to RHEL6, a process with which I am completely unfamiliar. Our IT department is neck deep in other stuff, so they gave me the DVD, an RHN activation key, and said "have at it." I installed from scratch, and once started up, opened a root terminal and used "rhnreg_ks --activationkey={our key}" to activate the RHN subscription. I'm able to get software updates, so I believe our RHN subscription is working.

That's all well and good, and I'm able to install most of the packages I need. However, I'm unable to install some fairly normal packages, as they don't appear to be in any of the installed repos that this system knows about. One big example is gcc-gfortran.

In the graphical Add/Remove Software utility, searching for 'fortran' comes up with compat-libgfortran and libgfortran, but no actual gfortran binary. 'yum list | grep fortran' from the command line returns the same.

In the GUI Add/Remove Software utility, the available software sources are "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Client - Source" and "Red Hat Enterprise Linux client (v. 6 64-bit for x86_64)". ("Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0" is also listed listed, but is unselectable). The only entries in /etc/yum.repos.d are packagekit-media.repo and rhel-source.repo (which points to ftp.redhat.com, which currently only contains SRPMs for RHEL6). 'yum repolist' returns:
code:
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin
repo id               repo name                                                 status
rhel-source           Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Client - Source                     0
rhel-x86_64-client-6  Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client (v. 6 for 64-bit x86_64)  3,326
Is there some kind of RHEL-specific step I'm missing to get access to packages I need? Is this behind some paywall that I'm supposed to know how to access as an RHN subscriber? Scientific Linux 6.0's main repo includes gcc-gfortran, so I'm really at a loss here as to why RHEL wouldn't have it available.

Edit: Oh my loving god. Is this because I'm using RHEL6 Client instead of RHEL6 Workstation?

Menacer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 11, 2011

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Are you sure it's not part of the installed GCC package? Red Hat docs and the GCC wiki seem to indicate it is.

e: f'rexample http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Developer_Guide/compilers.html#compilers.gcc

bort fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 11, 2011

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Alman posted:

Is there something wrong with netstat?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Accipiter posted:

Is there something wrong with netstat?

Solaris netstat doesn't show the PID.

Alman posted:

I hate to keep going on like "that won't work, oh yeah also that won't work either" but this is really a weird scenario - I don't want to delve into all the details but basically my org's user group is sort of gimped as we don't truly "own" the server, and on top of that the security group doesn't like ANYONE except themselves running security scanners. If I could just pop into all of the config files to find these ports that'd be great, but again, I don't have read access to the install directories for all of the services.

This might be impossible with the ridiculous restrictions placed on my usergroup, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone knew a trick. This isn't for any sort of subversion or trickery or anything, just an annoying restriction making my life difficult.
Try the script I posted above.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

BlackMK4 posted:

Solaris netstat doesn't show the PID.

Try the script I posted above.

I would but it loops through all of the pids using pfiles, and while pfiles would work fantastically if I owned all of the processes I'm concerned about, I don't - which complicates things.

Like I said, this isn't a huge deal or anything, I was just looking for a shortcut rather than digging for all of the configuration files or reaching out to the people who do own the processes. Thanks for the suggestions

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000

bort posted:

Are you sure it's not part of the installed GCC package? Red Hat docs and the GCC wiki seem to indicate it is.

e: f'rexample http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Developer_Guide/compilers.html#compilers.gcc
I'm unable to compile Fortran applications with the installed GCC package, with an error complaining about being unable to find f951-- This is usually indicative of gfortran not existing. And, FWIW, Scientific Linux 6.0 has a separate gcc-gfortran package in their repo.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Menacer posted:

I'm unable to compile Fortran applications with the installed GCC package, with an error complaining about being unable to find f951-- This is usually indicative of gfortran not existing. And, FWIW, Scientific Linux 6.0 has a separate gcc-gfortran package in their repo.
This is what I see on an RH6 box:
code:
[root@tor-bserver1 ~]# yum repolist
repo id                            repo name                                                              status
rhel-x86_64-server-6               Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (v. 6 for 64-bit x86_64)               3,999
repolist: 4,031
[root@tor-bserver1 ~]# yum search fortran
=============================================== Matched: fortran ===============================================
gcc-gfortran.x86_64 : Fortran support
So it's there in the "server" repo.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!
ignore; missed an entire page.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I'm stumped. Looks like you're properly registered with RHN, have the repo configured correctly and gcc-gfortran should be in the repo as it's in CentOS, Fedora and RHEL server. I guess I'd try a yum clean all and then see if it appears in yum list gcc-gfortran, and failing that try to reregster with rhn_register.

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000

lilbean posted:

This is what I see on an RH6 box:
code:
[root@tor-bserver1 ~]# yum repolist
repo id                            repo name                                                              status
rhel-x86_64-server-6               Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (v. 6 for 64-bit x86_64)               3,999
repolist: 4,031
[root@tor-bserver1 ~]# yum search fortran
=============================================== Matched: fortran ===============================================
gcc-gfortran.x86_64 : Fortran support
So it's there in the "server" repo.
I have the sneaking suspicion that this is because the IT department gave me a Client, not Workstation, version of RHEL6 Desktop. To quote the advertising copy:

quote:

Workstations are designed for advanced Linux users. In addition to the tools provided in the Desktop variant, the Workstation variant supports a stand-alone development environment.

Since yum clean all didn't solve anything, I'll next see if I can get IT to burn a Workstation copy. Hopefully that will put this whole sordid mess behind me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Not sure if this goes here, if it doesnt, I apologize.

I inherited a Wyse V90L here at work. It's got a 512mb flash drive and 512 megs of ram. I'd really love to turn this thing into a low power seedbox for use at home.

I figure I'd need a 128mb swap partition so that leaves me with about 384 megs to work with on the flash drive.

All I need is basic tools, a text editor, screen, zsh, rtorrent and OpenSSH daemon. I have a 2TB usb disk I can use to download to. Samba would be nice to for XBMC to mount it, but it's not 100% necessary.

Is drat Small Linux my best option? I'm most comfortable with Debian but am open to any distro really.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What type of processor does that terminal have?

I wouldn't bother with one of those weird tiny distros unless it's a Pentium II or something equally old.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

rt4 posted:

What type of processor does that terminal have?

I wouldn't bother with one of those weird tiny distros unless it's a Pentium II or something equally old.

It's a VIA C7. Just regular old X86.

the part where I have trouble is I have very little room to work with and most of the regular distros can't squeeze on there, even if I do a minimal commandline only install.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think Arch will run on that CPU and fit into that disk space with a minimal install...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

rt4 posted:

I think Arch will run on that CPU and fit into that disk space with a minimal install...

It's funny you said that, my googling seems to be pointing me in that direction too.

I'm a complete Arch "n00b" so this will be a fun little project to learn the new quirks.

Thanks!

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

LamoTheKid posted:

I inherited a Wyse V90L here at work. It's got a 512mb flash drive and 512 megs of ram. I'd really love to turn this thing into a low power seedbox for use at home.

I figure I'd need a 128mb swap partition so that leaves me with about 384 megs to work with on the flash drive.

All I need is basic tools, a text editor, screen, zsh, rtorrent and OpenSSH daemon. I have a 2TB usb disk I can use to download to. Samba would be nice to for XBMC to mount it, but it's not 100% necessary.

Is drat Small Linux my best option? I'm most comfortable with Debian but am open to any distro really.

I'd try Slackware first. If you use the menu-based installer you can pick only what you need and come up with a surprisingly small, but efficient little system. Your 512Mb of RAM will hardly be challenged[*], so you could even cut back on swap space. I know the old rule is 2.5 the amount of physical mem, but in your situation it's unlikely you'll use much.

[*]Just for shits and giggles, I started every daemon on an old PII I have with 128Mb RAM; incl. Sendmail, Apache, MySQL, Samba, SSH, NFS, Tor/Privoxy. Total amount of memory used idling: 64Mb. Put some load on, still not using swap.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

How the gently caress do I properly install PHP 5.2 on Red Hat ?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LamoTheKid posted:

Why not just put your poo poo on the 2TB drive instead?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Because nobody wants to boot from a USB drive when they can use an internal SSD!

edit: btw http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/05/the-hot-crazy-solid-state-drive-scale.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rt4 posted:

Because nobody wants to boot from a USB drive when they can use an internal SSD!

edit: btw http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/05/the-hot-crazy-solid-state-drive-scale.html

To be fair that internal flash memory is usually slower than poo poo.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Sylink posted:

Depends on what version. If you are on a version that has 5.1 then you can use the IUS repo:
http://wiki.iuscommunity.org/Doc/ClientUsageGuide

Replace stock with 5.2:
yum replace php --replace-with php52

Or if you don't have php yet:
yum install php52

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zom Aur posted:

Why not just put your poo poo on the 2TB drive instead?

Drive is at home, I'm doing the install at work. I'm fine with it and would rather use the internal flash for now.

I seem to have run into a problem with the install at the hard drive partition:

"arch could not create all the needed file systems".

maybe I'm making my /boot drive to small (32MB)

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LamoTheKid posted:

Drive is at home, I'm doing the install at work. I'm fine with it and would rather use the internal flash for now.

I seem to have run into a problem with the install at the hard drive partition:

maybe I'm making my /boot drive to small (32MB)
Nah, shouldn't be. Everything in my /boot is only 21MB, and I have two kernel version and the meego kernel in there.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

LamoTheKid posted:

I haven't used arch before. Is there a log console that you can look at for errors? (maybe try alt-f2 through alt-f8 or opening another shell to watch dmesg)

Perhaps you could partition and make filesystems manually, but I don't know if arch will allow that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Oh, that's right, now I remember why I took this thing out of production, the flash is corrupt. Found an old USB 2GB stick. gently caress it, I'll use this. Thanks again guys!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

Depends on what version. If you are on a version that has 5.1 then you can use the IUS repo:
http://wiki.iuscommunity.org/Doc/ClientUsageGuide

Replace stock with 5.2:
yum replace php --replace-with php52

Or if you don't have php yet:
yum install php52

Thanks for this repo, didn't know about it. I ended up doing basically the same thing but with a CentOS repository to get to 5.2.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sylink posted:

Can you just build it yourself?