Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I gotta start helping people move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009
Being open about my Lego love has netted me a big box of Lego from a friend of a friend's son. I gave him a bit of cash for it, but I think we've both come out winners.

You get so used to visiting sites like Bricklink that you forget that some people just see their Lego collection as childhood toys that they're no longer interested in.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Then you get people who know exactly how much it's worth. I've started hitting up garage sales again, and found a kid selling all of his Bionicle. He had a big rubbermaid bin full of parts with a sign and some sandwich bags "fill a bag for $3". Then selling assembled ones for $4-6.

From driving by I've been let down twice so far. One was just a tub of Duplo, then a grocery bag full of some knock-off blocks. I always get excited walking up to a driveway with bmx bikes or kids hockey equipment, less excited when it's just an ocean of pink dollhouses, although finding a Hogwarts Castle for $5 means I still have to check it out.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1gPgcycQ8

Taboo posted:

To step into Stanley and Sandra's modest home is to enter a fantasy world, where a grown man plays with Legos, sucks on a pacifier, is spoonfed, uses baby talk, and even wears a diaper.
:argh:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Pyroclastic posted:

Also, my sister got me a few pounds of what looks like mostly late-90s/early-2000s sets from her sister-in-law's girlfriend, who was just gonna toss them. I wonder how often that happens...people who just throw away bricks instead of taking them to goodwill or putting them on craigslist or even giving them to a neighbor's kids.

A co-worker of mine tossed her (now grown) sons' toys during a fit of housecleaning, even after telling them she'd throw them out and they have a week to claim them. She gave me a partial list of what was thrown out -- Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, and lots of LEGO -- and after some quick Googling, I told her she tossed about two grand worth of toys and collectibles.

:negative:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You think that's bad.

When my grandparents sold their farm to move in to a smaller house in town, we went to help them move. My dad asked my grandmother what happened to his comic books that he'd kept in the attic.

In my dads collection was a lot of stuff from the early 60s, stuff like

A ton of Spider Man including the first appearance of Doctor Octopus, The Rhino, Mysterio...

Mid 60s Batman comics, superman comics, etc

The first of the X-Men comics

Complete sets of hockey cards from the early 60s including he beleived 67, the last year the Leafs won the cup.

All in all, a collection probably worth somewhere between fifty and a hundred thousand dollars.

My grandmother said that her grandkids all had lots of comics and probably wouldn't want a bunch of old stuff so she just tossed them in the burn barrel.

My dad could have paid off the house, put my sister and I through school and had a much nicer retirement with those books.

My dad said he almost cried, the only thing stopping him is he knew it would have crushed his mother if she knew how much money she'd just tossed in the fire.

To be honest though, stuff produced these days will never be worth that kind of money. The fact that not a lot of that stuff survived is the big reason why it's worth so much. These days everything's 'buy one to read/use and one to keep in the box.'

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I bought 7620 Indiana Jones Motorcycle Chase because I wanted a LEGO Sean Connery and Harrison Ford for $12 at Toys R' Us in 2009, now it sells for like $55 on Amazon. I should have bought two.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

EvilJoven posted:

You think that's bad.

A similar thing happened with my uncle. He had TONS of comics, in great condition - early Superman and so forth - but was constantly under pressure from my grandfather to get rid of them because they were taking up valuable space. Finally, to appease him, my uncle burned them all and lost what would be worth thousands of dollars a few decades later.

To make matters worse, when my grandfather died, it was discovered that he kept EVERYTHING - every useless scrap of paper and receipt he'd ever collected.

I'd be much sadder about this if my uncle wasn't a dick

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Danthrax posted:

I bought 7620 Indiana Jones Motorcycle Chase because I wanted a LEGO Sean Connery and Harrison Ford for $12 at Toys R' Us in 2009, now it sells for like $55 on Amazon. I should have bought two.

No, that's what automatic price-setting software some Amazon sellers use has set it for. You can pick it up sealed from Bricklink for $30, which is still pretty high for a 66-piece set. And presumably it's high because of the motorcycles and the minifigs.

My tale of toy-woe was a result of my own folly. When I was 12 or so, we were having a big garage sale, and I decided it was time to sell off some of my toys. Priced at the usual $.25-1.00, IIRC. I was thrilled I got about $50 for all of them. G1 Transformers, Robotech, Battletech, Go-Bots, Voltron...
When I started middle school, I sat next to an 8th grader who was something of a toy nerd, and we got to discussing my old toys. I told him what I had done, and he said I could have probably sold the Invid Shock Trooper for $50 itself. I didn't sell the broken stuff I had, like my G1 Optimus, Matchbox SDF-1 or Veritech Hover Tank--my garage sale stuff was mostly in good repair. I probably let go of a good $500 worth (in mid 90s dollars) of stuff for a tenth that.
I did keep all my Lego, though!

I discovered today that Borders wised up about their membership coupons. They all seem to specifically exclude toys now, including Lego. Used to be you could get 33% off one set almost weekly, and 40% off every month or so. Guess it took bankruptcy to figure out selling Lego for 40% off when you're not trying to reduce inventory isn't a good idea!

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 12, 2011

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Danthrax posted:

And THAT's why I picked up 5. Hell yes. I also have a stash of the marketplace one with Indy and Marion. Ever since I sold my Mr. Freeze Chase for $70 I have been stockpiling the smaller movie sets.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

Pyroclastic posted:

I told him what I had done, and he said I could have probably sold the Invid Shock Trooper for $50 itself.

... Wow. Yeah, at least that kid in mexico got a fun toy, and I got half a dollar in pesos. Anime is big down there, without all the weird creepy associations so good for him.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
ATTN UK GOONS Free lgo toys from The Sun/News of the world

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/affiliates/lego/

Sat - 30051 - Star Wars Mini X-Wing

Sun - 30131 - PotC Jack's Boat

Mon - 30130 - PotC Mini Black Pearl

Tues - 30080 - Ninjago Ninja Glider

Wed - 30081 - Ninjago Skeleton Chopper

Thurs - 30083 - Ninjago Dragon Fight

Fri - 30091 - Pharoah's Quest Desert Rover

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I can't believe I'm the first to post this:

http://club.lego.com/en-us/insidescoop/InsideScoopDetails.aspx?id=248589

and

http://mba.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

for $30 I'm pretty interested. (the initial set is priced at $30 and the subscription at $70 apparently)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Free Jack Sparrow and some Ninja skeletons, hell yes.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Powdered Toast Man posted:

and

for $30 I'm pretty interested. (the initial set is priced at $30 and the subscription at $70 apparently)

The fact that this isn't available in Canada angers me greatly. Time to ship to a storage facility near the border I guess.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Powdered Toast Man posted:

and

Pretty expensive for what you get but really cool sets :ohdear:

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Muppetjedi posted:

ATTN UK GOONS Free lgo toys from The Sun/News of the world

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/affiliates/lego/

Sat - 30051 - Star Wars Mini X-Wing

Sun - 30131 - PotC Jack's Boat

Mon - 30130 - PotC Mini Black Pearl

Tues - 30080 - Ninjago Ninja Glider

Wed - 30081 - Ninjago Skeleton Chopper

Thurs - 30083 - Ninjago Dragon Fight

Fri - 30091 - Pharoah's Quest Desert Rover
Every year I see this and think "awesome" and then realise there is no TRU or WHSmiths I can get to daily :argh:

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Seriously considering haring it to the train station on saturday morning. The station is half an hour away. They will all be gone. I know this. :negative:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
That's amazing. I love that kind of art where you take random stuff and make a shadow of something else.

Stevoh
Feb 17, 2011
GT3 Hybrid Racecar.

Even has the electric generator in the passenger side like the real one! Nice rollcage too.

Look at them curves. How the fuuu...

Check out the shift linkage!

Dude's page: http://mocpages.com/folder.php/105310

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Wow, those are some really clever techniques that guy is using.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Stevoh posted:

GT3 Hybrid Racecar.

Even has the electric generator in the passenger side like the real one! Nice rollcage too.

Look at them curves. How the fuuu...

Check out the shift linkage!

Why do I even bother building anything?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The rollcages are amazing :O

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
It's always the little details. Like the scythe/claw things used for canards on the GT3.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

How the hell did he do those cheese-slopes around the wheels? That's nuts!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Flavor Bear posted:

Why do I even bother building anything?

Yeah, those pretty much make me feel like I've never done any Lego building at all, really, I've only played with blocks.

Jeeze they're loving good.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Zonko_T.M. posted:

How the hell did he do those cheese-slopes around the wheels? That's nuts!

If you're talking about the orange one, I'd guess any sort of flexible standard size tubing to make the arc and then theres any number of ways to connect them.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Stevoh posted:

GT3 Hybrid Racecar.

That is just unbelievable depressing.

Meanwhile, hurray for click joints doing their jobs. Don't quite have the extension on the legs to pose it just perfectly, but

So close! How the gently caress do I do hands? I NEED IDEAS!

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

afflictionwisp posted:

Meanwhile, hurray for click joints doing their jobs. Don't quite have the extension on the legs to pose it just perfectly, but

Five of them.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Flavor Bear posted:

Five of them.

This.
Look at some of the blueprints of the Atlantis sets. Those with the robot arms.
Otherwise, there is always Hero Factory.

Stevoh
Feb 17, 2011

afflictionwisp posted:

I dont even want to know how long it took you to articulate that thing. I know for me my LDD is very finicky with the hinge tool. I dont even bother with it anymore unless the piece needs it.

Also these if you want a smaller hand:

PN: 48729

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Maybe replace the axle hole brick with a ball joint?

The hand is a hero factory piece.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I'm in Indianapolis for the next couple days, stopped at the Lego store on the way into town and got a $15 cup with maybe 200 pieces (my girlfriend liked the powder blue bricks), and made three minifigs for $10. Toys R Us nearby; they've got all PotC sets for 20% off and some other stuff on sale, so I got Captain's Cabin for $10.39.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I'm thinking of selling my UCS Millennium Falcon, probably on Bricklink. The instruction book has a couple of rips, though, and the box has a puncture or two. How much would that hurt the selling price?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Time Cowboy posted:

I'm thinking of selling my UCS Millennium Falcon, probably on Bricklink. The instruction book has a couple of rips, though, and the box has a puncture or two. How much would that hurt the selling price?

The 5000 piece one? The current minimum price on Bricklink is $850, and it's missing the box entirely. The cheapest with the box is at $1000. The cheapest Bricklink sale in the past 6 months has been $810 (although a new one sold for $400, but that's an obvious outlier).
On eBay, the cheapest sale has been $800 Buy it Now, but doesn't mention a box.

You can probably get $900 for it, easily.

Unless you want to sell it to me for $100. :greatgift:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Stevoh posted:

Those are some gorgeous cars and seriously impressive to look at. This isn't as impressive but I still like it:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=472872

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
I finished my Rynex.

And here is it in my newly-finished landing bay scene. It's meant to fit in a Lego Store window on the community display.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
You have to make the powerups now too :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I finished my Rynex.

And here is it in my newly-finished landing bay scene. It's meant to fit in a Lego Store window on the community display.

Though it's definitely drop dead gorgeous, the lengthy stretch of trans-blue really evokes thoughts of other things. Have you thought of fitting it with a motor to simulate the vibration of weapons fire?