Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

60HzHum posted:

Pardon my absence. I just moved and I'm not getting proper grown-up 21st century Internet installed for another week. I'm sort of making do with crappy Virgin Mobile Mifi, but the service is kind of spotty, and I don't want to lose games because I'm being disconnected. I want to lose games because I'm a scrub. I'll try to bring the thunder back once I have reliable Internet. In the meantime, give them hell out there.

Ah, so you haven't given up, at least. While you've been lazy, your rank has gone up to 16k all on its own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Gu Li lost the BC Card cup and four million points for me :argh:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Well, I lost to Malkovich. It's hard to think of something more humiliating.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

darkgray posted:

One day you will lose to me, you know.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

darkgray posted:

The total score is tied at 2-2 you still got time to play 10 games a day and defeat me :v:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

The AGA is doing their annual Go World giveaway to people who will resub.

quote:

Renew your American Go Association membership now and we'll send you up to 1700 pages of great stuff!

Go World magazine, Kiseido's quarterly go publication, is the ultimate source of go knowledge in English. Each 64-page issue is packed with extensive review of at least ten major title match games by top professionals as well as problems, instructional articles and series, and coverage of historical, cultural and other aspects of the game. One such series, The Great Joseki Debate, was later published as a book; now out of print, it sells for $30 or more when available.

Click here for complete details on how to take advantage of this offer, plus download a free sample of Go World! Even if you're already a member, now's the time to renew, and the more years you add, the better the deal gets! If you're a former member, this is a great opportunity to rejoin the AGA and collect a nice bonus.

AGA membership is already a good deal: you get the weekly Member’s Edition of the American Go E-Journal, packed with the latest world go news and commented game files and other special bonus instructional go material, as well as the annual American Go Yearbook (including online links to every game record), and membership enables you to participate in local and national tournaments, the national rating system and annual US Go Congress and well as supporting the development of go in the United States.

You get free issues of whatever you want, with the maximum being any 27 issues for a five year AGA subscription. Given that AGA membership is worth basically zero dollars, this means the magazines are being sold for about five dollars apiece if you are interested in getting 27 of them. Does anyone have issues of Go World and know if it's any good? I'm thinking of getting the most recent ones - issues from the early 80s sound cool and all but I imagine the quality and content is abominable. Anyone out there know for sure?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I always grant undo no matter how ridiculous, and I never ask for them myself. Makes life a whole lot easier.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I never grant undo. But when I was 12, I allowed someone an undo. The next game, that same person refused me one. gently caress letting people fix their mistakes :colbert:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

http://www.6brothers.com/detail.php?c_code1=10&c_code2=020&c_code3=000&pr_code=10020000_10000004

Lets start a pool to buy this motherfucker

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

hideous!!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I guess the prize for the BC Card cup was also 20 million won so all I gotta do is win that real fast and I'll be able to order this beast

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

:gonk: what is that man doing to his turtle's shell

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

That site is cool, I also like the bright green boards and the ones that are literally just polished tree stumps with a grid on top

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PaulC posted:

the ones that are literally just polished tree stumps with a grid on top
Do you have a link? I want to find it but I can't read Koreander.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Do you have a link? I want to find it but I can't read Koreander.

Tree stump: http://www.6brothers.com/detail.php?c_code1=25&c_code2=048&c_code3=000&pr_code=25048000_10000025, http://www.6brothers.com/detail.php?c_code1=25&c_code2=048&c_code3=000&pr_code=25048000_10000017, they have a whole bunch

Begorrah: http://www.6brothers.com/detail.php?c_code1=26&c_code2=000&c_code3=000&pr_code=26000000_10000029

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
:slick: :dance: :toot: :derp: [12k] :derp: :toot: :dance: :slick:

Gee, I know I'll get demoted as soon as I play any dude but maaan, just reaching this loving rank was hard work. Gee.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Is that seriously an $18,000 Go Turtle? I want it. :)

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Cool KGS went down in the middle of an automatch

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
The KGS rating system owns, I'm now 7d? after winning one game against a 5d?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
About time for my bi-yearly post...
I found a new turn-based site, online-go.com
I like it better than Dragon because there are bots, tournaments, and the color scheme is prettier. I want to have the time to sit down and login to kgs, but lately "10 minutes at a time" is about my limit. All y'all should check it!
Still sitting comfortably at 20kyu on my best day :(

The General
Mar 4, 2007

After more than a week of googling, this is what I found and ordered.
http://glowingstone.org/store.php

The board and stones are nice, the bowls are ugly as all get out. But the board folds, and I play go after an hour long walk, so that's a pretty huge bonus.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Hey would anyone mind if I did a new Go Thread. It would be good to get some more exposure and some people into the ITGO League. I would probably do a pretty comprehensive OP with links, pictures, and information about Go and playing it online, plus keep it updated with anything you guys want added. Let me know what you think, especially where you want the thread to go because it could drum up a lot of interest in GBS, although ideally it should belong in Traditional Games.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Given the *cough* limitless enthusiasm the regulars have for bumping the thread it might be better if we hang on to the one that has a shitload of posts. Also, it would be incredibly nice if this thread was not in some Trad Games dungeon that nobody looks at. I thought about posting a new thread but ultimately I think the best idea is just to write up a new OP and email it to wossname. He hasn't been online but that doesn't mean he isn't reachable or wouldn't update the OP if he was asked.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think it should be in TGD, mostly because if I'm looking for a boardgame thread, I'm in TGD. Ask/Tell seems like the wrong area, and I only accidently found this thread.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

The General posted:

I think it should be in TGD, mostly because if I'm looking for a boardgame thread, I'm in TGD. Ask/Tell seems like the wrong area, and I only accidently found this thread.

Trad games restricts the number, and type of people who will join us. In ask tell we get both those people who visit trad games and those who wouldn't. Seems like a win win to me.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Athanos posted:

Trad games restricts the number, and type of people who will join us. In ask tell we get both those people who visit trad games and those who wouldn't. Seems like a win win to me.

If I'm interested in Go, I'm looking for a thread in Trad Games. Looking in Ask/Tell for Go players is pretty counter intuitive. But whatever, it's not my thread and I'm already here.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

My only reasoning for a new thread is I too think Ask Tell is a bizarre place for the thread and the OP is not really attractive to newcomers. But yeah I guess nobody cares so gently caress it. I might just do a GBS recruitment thread anyway and link here and whatever happens happens

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

My only reasoning for a new thread is I too think Ask Tell is a bizarre place for the thread and the OP is not really attractive to newcomers. But yeah I guess nobody cares so gently caress it. I might just do a GBS recruitment thread anyway and link here and whatever happens happens

You should do that if it's moved to TGD as well. Nothing aids TG stuff more than GBS recruitment, if only to let people know that a thread exists.

Check with a mod before doing so, though.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
A better OP for a new thread isn't a bad idea no matter where the thread it. However, there should be some thread with info for people new to Go in a place other than TGD.

I never go into TGD because I don't play any relevant games, but I discovered how awesome Go is thanks to this thread not being in TGD.

To address The General's comments about people looking for Go in TGD, I wasn't looking for Go, but still found the thread and the game very enjoyable. I wouldn't have ventured into TGD for that reason.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Another reason not to post a thread in TG is that we have emphatically insisted in the past that we do not want people who read TG to play go with us

EDIT: If all yall properly bump the thread more people will 'accidentally' find the go thread here than will ever find it on purpose in Traditional Games Discussion

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Under 15 posted:

Another reason not to post a thread in TG is that we have emphatically insisted in the past that we do not want people who read TG to play go with us

EDIT: If all yall properly bump the thread more people will 'accidentally' find the go thread here than will ever find it on purpose in Traditional Games Discussion

I can understand this.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Since when do we want more people in ITGO? The hip thing about ITGO is that it's so exclusive. It's even hip-er to not even log in.

Under 15 posted:

I think the best idea is just to write up a new OP and email it to wossname. He hasn't been online but that doesn't mean he isn't reachable or wouldn't update the OP if he was asked.

This is a decent idea. I talk to woss fairly reg on gchat. If you want to do this let me know and I'll talk to him.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Well the chess megathread is located in Sports, but somehow i don't think that would go over as well for Go. Posting some sort of thread in GBS might attract attention from the types of people who have heard a bit about Go from somewhere but don't really know how to play it, and yet might still be interested to learn. But on the other hand, a Go thread would still be sort of out of place for GBS. If nothing else, we should definitely update the OP in this thread (and start posting more I guess)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I asked in this thread and the response was that a targeted recruitment thread in GBS is an acceptable solution. When the thread dies down at some point it would be moved to TG.

I have asked if this thread will remain, and if they say that there should be only one Go thread, then we'll keep this one and I won't bother. But if I'm allowed to place another thread with more info (linking to this one as well), then this thread will not suffer and there will be more interest in the forums. Please let me know if you have any objections to this.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 12, 2011

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
I think a new OP would be great since the current one doesn't work well to draw people in. I am against anything which would move the thread to trad games because it is nice to have a wide variety of people joining, so if you can avoid that I am behind you.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yep, I am only doing this if this thread stays as it is.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Ugh, look at me, I'm playing go again.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sorry guys, I can't play Go anymore. A 17k on KGS said I didn't take the game seriously enough. :smith:

Though I was rather impressed it only took one game.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

The General posted:

Sorry guys, I can't play Go anymore. A 17k on KGS said I didn't take the game seriously enough. :smith:

Though I was rather impressed it only took one game.

Just keep up with it and study hard, and someday you, too, can reach the rank of 17k. Maybe around Thursday or Friday or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
I'm using a netbook with one of those dumb trackpads instead of a mouse (you get used to it), and I've never misclicked, and I've been playing on KGS for years now. And, if you still manage to have trouble looking at your mouse pointer before you click, CGoban3 has an option for a Mouse Anti-Slip System. It seems to me like anyone who asks for an undo in a rated game is running pretty low on excuses.