Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I feel bad for her, since she chewed her bed up she's been sleeping on the plastic liner in the cage. I'm looking for a $20 mat to put down now just so she has something in there. I just don't want her to have a fit again and then chew it up and choke or something.

Anyone use those little biscuits/treats you can put inside of Kongs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
My dog has some pretty bad separation anxiety too, so I get where you're coming from and it is heartbreaking. The kong definitely helps. I fill it up all the way with all her absolute favorite things, and I'll usually throw more treats in the crate with her that she can just gobble up. I don't use the specific kong biscuits because it seems like a waste of money. A jar of peanut butter plus normal dog treats or food (wet food frozen is always a big hit) are more economical. I also feed her dinner in the crate and reward her with food for anytime she walks into the crate. Basically I've made the crate equal delicious food. Food is her favorite thing, and I want her to love the crate. There is no better way to make her love it than to give her her favorite thing while she is in the crate.

I was not able to find anything to pad the crate with that stood up to the panic induced destruction of separation anxiety. Anything soft I put in the crate was destroyed, and the plastic liner was even destroyed eventually. For quite a while my poor girl was just on bricks in her crate because it was the only thing that could stand up to her jaws-o-destruction. I'm thankful now that she will at least tolerate the plastic liner in there to lay on.
....so basically if you happen to find something nice for your pup to sleep on in there it is great, if not at least the plastic liner works.

You might want to head on over to the Pet Nutrition thread for some pet food advice. Unless she's on Hill's for a veterinary mandated reason you're probably going to want to switch. If she has a medical reason for being on Hill by all means stay on it.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
You don't think a 40 lb dog could swallow it or anything? That's my nightmare. If it will be cool then I'll load it up with peanut butter and treats and let her go to town.

She HATES being on that plastic, but the little bitch did it to herself unfortunately. I'm going to try to find something cheap just to pad it with. I don't want her being uncomfortable.

I'll check with my Vet and that thread about different foods.

Thank you everyone, I feel a lot better now.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
I want to train my dog to hold things in his mouth, but I've run into some difficulty because he's not very "mouthy." If I hold out a toy, he won't take it from me. If I try to put something in his mouth he acts like I'm about to murder him. I tried going slowly and saying "hold" right as he picked up a treat to eat, but at least one of us isn't getting it. What should I do?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

get out posted:

If it will be cool then I'll load it up with peanut butter and treats and let her go to town.

Just note, if you're gonna give her something that will make her thirsty (peanut butter is likely) then you really want to put some water in there too. You shouldn't have to worry too much about peeing/pooping in the crate unless it's too large, or if there's some medical problem.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Emasculatrix posted:

I want to train my dog to hold things in his mouth, but I've run into some difficulty because he's not very "mouthy." If I hold out a toy, he won't take it from me. If I try to put something in his mouth he acts like I'm about to murder him. I tried going slowly and saying "hold" right as he picked up a treat to eat, but at least one of us isn't getting it. What should I do?
http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/retrieve.html
The link has a long, very detailed set of instructions on shaping a retrieve. It starts with getting the dog to pick up and hold an object, so it might be useful to you.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

get out posted:

You don't think a 40 lb dog could swallow it or anything? That's my nightmare. If it will be cool then I'll load it up with peanut butter and treats and let her go to town.

She HATES being on that plastic, but the little bitch did it to herself unfortunately. I'm going to try to find something cheap just to pad it with. I don't want her being uncomfortable.

I'll check with my Vet and that thread about different foods.

Thank you everyone, I feel a lot better now.

Definitely watch closely the first few times you give your dog any new toy. Mine happens to be fine with kongs unsupervised and she is 36 lbs but not much of a voracious chewer. Some dogs go through kongs in minutes and destroy them. You want to know if your dog is okay with the toy before you leave them alone with it.
That said, kongs are supposed to be one of the toughest indestructo toys out there so hopefully it will be fine.

I heard recommendations for using cow mat to line the bottom of the crate. It's a rubbery liner they use in cow stalls that can stand up to the sharp cow hooves so should be okay to use for a dog too. Unfortunately my local feed & seed store had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for it so YMMV.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

get out posted:

I feel bad for her, since she chewed her bed up she's been sleeping on the plastic liner in the cage. I'm looking for a $20 mat to put down now just so she has something in there. I just don't want her to have a fit again and then chew it up and choke or something.

Anyone use those little biscuits/treats you can put inside of Kongs?

Bailey wouldn't touch his kong even if I showed him that rolling it make treats appear. I just gave in and bought some nice peanut butter and slather it on there and he goes to town. I guess you could also mix some ground meat or kibble in too.

Also, those baked, hollow beef bones you can get at Petsmart are amazing. Bailey will chew on that and dogs pretty much instantly know that bones are good times. Plus they last longer than pork bones.

On an unrelated note, it pork or lamb bones are easily breakable, and they still okay treats?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
The Kong was a hit! I have a bone-shaped kong for her with holes at either end for PB/treats. I filled them up and she went to town in her crate/cage thing. She seems a lot better today, but still shakes when she thinks shes in trouble and ducks when we move too fast. I hope that gets better in time. It's heartbreaking.

Where did you end up getting the mat from, Cass?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 12, 2011

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.

get out posted:

The Kong was a hit! I have a bone-shaped kong for her with holes at either end for PB/treats. I filled them up and she went to town in her crate/cage thing. She seems a lot better today, but still shakes when she thinks shes in trouble and ducks when we move too fast. I hope that gets better in time. It's heartbreaking.

Where did you end up getting the mat from, Cass?

That's awesome! I love all the kong products, I've got a wobbler too but we don't leave that unsupervised with Moxie.

I actually never ended up finding out where to get cow mat, it was recommended to me by someone here but my farm store didn't have it. I would check any store that sells livestock equipment though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

get out posted:

The Kong was a hit! I have a bone-shaped kong for her with holes at either end for PB/treats. I filled them up and she went to town in her crate/cage thing.

Really glad to hear this, although you probably should expect it to take some time before she gets really happy to be in the crate, especially for long periods. Try to save some really impressive treat (like your Kong) that is long-lasting and ONLY give it to her when she's in the crate, and maybe some occasional surprise especially awesome things - the ham bone I gave Darla made her visibly more eager to go into the crate from that point on, for example.

quote:

She seems a lot better today, but still shakes when she thinks shes in trouble and ducks when we move too fast. I hope that gets better in time. It's heartbreaking.

Erik (mini schnauzer I adopted, 1.5 years old) does something like this when he thinks he's in trouble, but it's gradually disappearing over the past month. I think his previous owners spanked him in certain situations, which I never do, and I'm gradually getting across to him that when I reach for him it's only for happy reasons. Fearfuldogs.com (linked in the OP also) has a lot of great practical info, you should spend some time reading there.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks a lot, Forge. There is so much good information on that site and I forwarded it to my Wife as well. We're so afraid of doing the wrong thing and upsetting her, it's good to have some references.

I believe she was crate trained by the previous owner, but this was probably the same person that abused her. We're going to work hard to show her that the crate is a safe place, and really only for her safety. Eventually I'd really like her to be able to have free run of the house while we're out.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

wtftastic posted:

Also, those baked, hollow beef bones you can get at Petsmart are amazing. Bailey will chew on that and dogs pretty much instantly know that bones are good times. Plus they last longer than pork bones.
One caveat, though. If your dog is a tough chewer, he will splinter the baked beef bones. Pi does for sure, which is why I don't buy them anymore.

The baked ones will break into really sharp, tasty splinters, which you really don't want to end up in your dog's stomach. Pi will splinter his baked beef bone really quickly, so I don't give them even if I'm around to supervise. I give raw bones instead (even though Pi has been able to break the tough cortical bone of those things as well, but they don't splinter as badly).

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
I have a Staffie/Pit something-or-other (got him for free from a bad place). He's about a year old according to the vet and I've had him for most of that with no problems at all. He's absolutely full of energy and wants to be friends with everyone.

Basically, we now also have a tiny Chihuahua and he goes absolutely batshit (with happiness and joy) when she's around. The size difference means that - even when she wants to play back - he will be too rough, and he just wont settle down; he will even sort of 'slap' and nudge her with his nose in order to try and make her play.

Is there a good approach for:

a) Making him calmer around her?
b) Making him more cautious/gentler?

Or is a pairing like that simply ill-advised?

Also, with regards to the Chihuahua: whenever I enter the room she will do a little wee. I'm trying coming in with a treat each time, will this eventually prevent such a response?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Egg Poacher posted:

Is there a good approach for:

a) Making him calmer around her?
b) Making him more cautious/gentler?

Will she tell him to back off (tense body posture, hard stare, growl, snarl, air-snap, etc) if he gets too rowdy? If not, you could try leaving him on a long line when she's around, giving a verbal marker and removing him when he gets too ramped-up. It's honestly better for her to tell him when and how to play with her though, in my experience.

Egg Poacher posted:

Also, with regards to the Chihuahua: whenever I enter the room she will do a little wee. I'm trying coming in with a treat each time, will this eventually prevent such a response?

Is she excited to see you, or does she seem anxious? She likely has something generally known as 'submissive urination' (or is there a medical/behavioural term for it, anyone?).

What you could try doing is entering the room and not looking at her at all - keep your body very soft and relaxed, your movements slow, and sit down very slowly somewhere in the room. Don't look at her at all until she comes to you, though you can entice her with outstretched (just held on your lap/the floor before you) hands with stinky treats on, or offer a toy. As far as I'm aware (I've not had much experience with submissive urination), keeping everything calm and very gentle will go a long way in soothing the problem.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)
That's a scary combination. You need to do some research on what's called "predatory drift." I don't know that we have anyone here who is really educated on the issue, but there are definitely risks.

In regards to the urination, I don't think that's submissive, it is more likely an over-excited bladder. If that's the case (which is not necessarily true), bringing in a treat with you is likely to make it worse as now your presence has become that much more exciting. Try to make your comings and goings a boring occasion. Don't pay any attention to the dog and just ignore her until she is calm.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

MrFurious posted:

That's a scary combination. You need to do some research on what's called "predatory drift." I don't know that we have anyone here who is really educated on the issue, but there are definitely risks.

Bloody hell. Simply because of his breed, I make sure he's penned up when no one is around and is never left alone with kids or other dogs. Hopefully he isn't seeing a little lamb chop running around. Thanks for pointing this out though, I'll read up on it.

Fraction posted:

Will she tell him to back off (tense body posture, hard stare, growl, snarl, air-snap, etc) if he gets too rowdy? If not, you could try leaving him on a long line when she's around, giving a verbal marker and removing him when he gets too ramped-up. It's honestly better for her to tell him when and how to play with her though, in my experience.

When he plays, she definately snarls and snaps at him if he pisses her off, but that just intensifies his prodding and stomping which hurts even if he catches me. I could see him really hurting her if he doesn't settle. Given that she will snap and chase when he's (forcibly) withdrawn, would it be best to completely remove him, say, from the room?

Fraction posted:

Is she excited to see you, or does she seem anxious?

Her ears go right back and she crawls to me very nervously (peeing at this point) but her tail is going absolutely mental and when I touch her or pick her up, all the anxiety evaporates. I'll try entering in a calmer manner.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Egg Poacher posted:

Bloody hell. Simply because of his breed, I make sure he's penned up when no one is around and is never left alone with kids or other dogs. Hopefully he isn't seeing a little lamb chop running around. Thanks for pointing this out though, I'll read up on it.

When he plays, she definately snarls and snaps at him if he pisses her off, but that just intensifies his prodding and stomping which hurts even if he catches me. I could see him really hurting her if he doesn't settle. Given that she will snap and chase when he's (forcibly) withdrawn, would it be best to completely remove him, say, from the room?

Staffies/pits are pretty drat unlikely to ever be aggressive to humans (unless bad breeding, badly raised - they are supposed to be placid enough around people that their handlers could stick their hands into their mouths mid-fight and not get bitten), including children. I still wouldn't leave any dog together with a kid unsupervised, and nor would I leave together a dog that is prone to dog aggression (such as bully breeds) with another dog.

If her 'back the gently caress off' signals (snarls and snaps are pretty extreme forms of stress signals) aren't being taken seriously, then he definitely shouldn't be around her. You could try working on impulse control games, get him playing with you in the same area but not *with* the chihuahua, and work on training around the chi. If he's completely ignoring her signals, too, then you need to back her up by removing him entirely from the situation. Give him a ten-second time out period in a dog-proofed area (NOT his crate), and reintroduce him to her. Make sure she has plenty of places to escape to if she wants.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 13, 2011

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You should probably read this post in the Bully Breeds thread:

Superconsndar posted:

Okay, maybe they start out as nice dogs, but don't they have a tendency to just SNAP? They're really unpredictable, right?

A pit bull may suddenly decide it no longer likes other dogs, but other than that, no. What's more likely happening in these scenarios is that the owner of the dog is either not present at the time of the bite, or not adept enough at reading dog body language to see the warning signs the dog is giving off. Pit bulls are very stable, predictable, easy to read dogs and they do not just "lose it" for no reason, espcially not on a human.

Wait, dog aggression? Prey drive? Isn't aggression just AGGRESSION?

Nope. Dogs can differentiate between species just fine. As stated above, pit bulls are bred to have exceptional bite inhibition with humans while maintaining a propensity towards aggression with other dogs and the desire to chase and catch prey animals. A dog suddenly becoming dog aggressive or overly prey driven is NOT an indicator that they will later develop human aggression. The three are not linked.

If pit bulls are dog aggressive and have strong prey drive, can I ever safely own one if I have other pets?

Yes. Most people with a dog aggressive dog crate and rotate, and NEVER leave their dogs alone together uncrated. A lot of people with pits in general do this by default, whether the dogs in question are dog aggressive or not. They can play together- but if you have to leave the house or cannot keep an eye on them, one of them needs to be crated or they need to be somehow separated- dog aggressive dogs must also never be fed together.

It is never safe to leave a highly prey driven dog alone with a prey animal, but they can be taught to tolerate and ignore prey animals indoors, with the owners around. It can be done, but it does take some vigilance to insure that the two are not left alone together. Some pit bulls never develop dog aggression or strong prey drive, but most have both to at least SOME degree.

The only really limiting thing is that dog parks are out of the question for pit bulls. Just don't do it; too many potential problems, too much room for error.

If you own a pit bull and another dog, you SHOULD learn how to break up a fight, as there is a good chance a scuffle of some sort will happen sooner or later.

It sounds like you're already kind of committed but if it was me I wouldn't have tried to put that combination of dogs together.

e: cited quote

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 12, 2011

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bailey got mouthy with a guest today and growled at another while asking her for pets. Everyone's fine (the guy he got mouthy with described it as "not a bit, but there were teeth") and of course this comes at the worst possible time, when I'm getting ready to have a friend look after him for the weekend.

How can I make introductions go smoothly? He loves my boyfriend and seems to be good with people but this is obviously concerning for me.

I've considered going out to meet people with a few stinky treats he likes (peanut butter, his training treats, and dog biscuits) and having them give them to him as they enter and as they're around him to relax him. Is this a sound plan? Or is there another method?

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

wtftastic posted:

Bailey got mouthy with a guest today and growled at another while asking her for pets. Everyone's fine (the guy he got mouthy with described it as "not a bit, but there were teeth") and of course this comes at the worst possible time, when I'm getting ready to have a friend look after him for the weekend.

How can I make introductions go smoothly? He loves my boyfriend and seems to be good with people but this is obviously concerning for me.

I've considered going out to meet people with a few stinky treats he likes (peanut butter, his training treats, and dog biscuits) and having them give them to him as they enter and as they're around him to relax him. Is this a sound plan? Or is there another method?

Can you pinpoint any reason why your dog got mouthy? Was he guarding anything or maybe just playing or was there any anxiety in his stance?

At any rate, you can't go wrong with having them give him his favorite treats. If he's being obnoxious/overly playful, they can drop treats while ignoring him. If he's anxious, they can give him treats while petting him or hanging around playing with him or just being there. Tell them not to make sudden movements or stare him in the eye at first until you see relaxed body language for a while. We do this with my very anxious dog and she has warmed up to both people we've tried it with rather quickly.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Kiri koli posted:

Can you pinpoint any reason why your dog got mouthy? Was he guarding anything or maybe just playing or was there any anxiety in his stance?

At any rate, you can't go wrong with having them give him his favorite treats. If he's being obnoxious/overly playful, they can drop treats while ignoring him. If he's anxious, they can give him treats while petting him or hanging around playing with him or just being there. Tell them not to make sudden movements or stare him in the eye at first until you see relaxed body language for a while. We do this with my very anxious dog and she has warmed up to both people we've tried it with rather quickly.

I think maybe Zack (the friend) petted him on his stomach and he felt vulnerable? To be fair he rolled on his back to ask for pets. Also the same for growling at his wife, she was just sitting on the couch and sort of ignoring him. Its possible, given that I allow him to sleep on the couch, that he was guarding the couch, or maybe me?

I think I'll try both approaches. I'll have the friend who will be walking him come by a few times in advance and treat him, and then go out on a walk with her and she can feed him treats in relatively neutral space.

Its just worrying for me given that I'll be letting a friend take care of him and he's not met her before and he has, in the past, been very accepting on strangers. (Plus my dad will be visiting me in a few weeks and the last thing I want is my dad thinking I have a dangerous or poorly behaved dog.)

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

wtftastic posted:

I think maybe Zack (the friend) petted him on his stomach and he felt vulnerable? To be fair he rolled on his back to ask for pets. Also the same for growling at his wife, she was just sitting on the couch and sort of ignoring him. Its possible, given that I allow him to sleep on the couch, that he was guarding the couch, or maybe me?

I think I'll try both approaches. I'll have the friend who will be walking him come by a few times in advance and treat him, and then go out on a walk with her and she can feed him treats in relatively neutral space.

Its just worrying for me given that I'll be letting a friend take care of him and he's not met her before and he has, in the past, been very accepting on strangers. (Plus my dad will be visiting me in a few weeks and the last thing I want is my dad thinking I have a dangerous or poorly behaved dog.)

Don't worry about what other people think. It may be nothing, but if your dog is developing a problem, then you need to be patient and take your time handling it. Introducing your friend who will be watching him would be good, but make sure your friend has a lot of good treats and minimize their interactions if you have to. Dogs can be pretty mopey when their owners are away so your friend doesn't need to have a ton of playtime with your dog. If possible, have your dog stay in your home and the friend come by just for pee and food time at first.

Don't push your dog, make everything happy and comfortable for him and hopefully this was just a little fluke. :)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

wtftastic posted:

Try not to worry too much, just be aware of the situation and work on making new people great but not too intense. Belly rubs can be too much sometimes and rolling on his back can mean that he's uncomfortable rather than wanting pets. You might want to make a little behavior log of how he interacts with people and what the other people are doing in situations where he's showing discomfort. That might give you some insight about things that make him uncomfortable so you can work on them. Its also entirely possible that he was just having a bad day. It happens to all of us.

:woop:Major went for a 15 minute car ride today!:woop:
He was sort of wild all day because his prozac has worn off and his zoloft hasn't fully kicked in yet and I ran out of L-theanine so I wasn't even going to practice today but I'm glad I did. I was just going to push him a little but he was doing so well that I just kept going. It was probably a bit too far because it was twice as long as we've gone before but he only did some quiet whining and seemed fine when we were done. I discovered (thanks to my crazy ocd behavior log) that he does better when we turn right out of the driveway he's a lot more chill than if we go left so I've been doing that and hopefully we've finally broken through this wall that we've been working on for 4 months. I'm aiming for a half an hour by the end of August so he can go to his annual vet exam.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Instant Jellyfish posted:

:woop:Major went for a 15 minute car ride today!:woop:
He was sort of wild all day because his prozac has worn off and his zoloft hasn't fully kicked in yet and I ran out of L-theanine so I wasn't even going to practice today but I'm glad I did. I was just going to push him a little but he was doing so well that I just kept going. It was probably a bit too far because it was twice as long as we've gone before but he only did some quiet whining and seemed fine when we were done. I discovered (thanks to my crazy ocd behavior log) that he does better when we turn right out of the driveway he's a lot more chill than if we go left so I've been doing that and hopefully we've finally broken through this wall that we've been working on for 4 months. I'm aiming for a half an hour by the end of August so he can go to his annual vet exam.

That's awesome! Don't be disappointed if you can't repeat that long of a ride right away. It's easy to think the progress is permanent, but it usually isn't. It's still a great thing. :D

I started Psyche giving L-theanine (and chamomile because it came together in the pills available at the pet store). I don't know if it's doing anything, but we've been having a couple hard days. Three loose/off-leash dogs have tried to approach her in the last two days. :( It's started to get to me. She was doing really well for a while, but it seems like we take ten steps back for every one forward. She did let our neighbor pet her, the first person to do so besides the vet since we got her. :)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiri koli posted:

That's awesome! Don't be disappointed if you can't repeat that long of a ride right away. It's easy to think the progress is permanent, but it usually isn't. It's still a great thing. :D

I started Psyche giving L-theanine (and chamomile because it came together in the pills available at the pet store). I don't know if it's doing anything, but we've been having a couple hard days. Three loose/off-leash dogs have tried to approach her in the last two days. :( It's started to get to me. She was doing really well for a while, but it seems like we take ten steps back for every one forward. She did let our neighbor pet her, the first person to do so besides the vet since we got her. :)

Ugh, I know how it is. If only other people would put as much effort into their dogs as we do, or at least have some courtesy and keep them on leash. Try to find some little thing to do with Psyche that you both enjoy and just have a happy moment. Some days I just have to focus on the snuggley time we enjoy every morning before all the horse carts start going by and Major starts fixating on the windows. We'll probably go back to howling the next ride but we had one good one and I'm going to try to remember that.

L-theanine can take 3-6 weeks to work fully, just like the other meds so it might be a while before you know if its helping. Keep it up Kiri! Us with crazy dogs need to stick together!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Thanks for the input guys. I don't think she was planning on going crazy playing with him or anything and he will be staying in my apartment, as I think that's where he is most comfortable. He's actually pretty laid back and a homebody. As in, even if I'm home he'd really rather lay around or eat.

I hope you guys are right and this is just a fluke. I'll just play it safe and make guests arriving *amazing treat time*.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

:haw: Wave!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

So, this weekend I taught my dog how to blow bubbles in a bowl of water.

Or, more accurately, I spent about 10 minutes teaching this a few days ago, then another few minutes recording it. I was surprised how easy it was. Dogs will naturally expel air through their noses when under water (after they get a nose-full of water once or twice) so basically it was just shaping exercise where I got her to submerge her nose.

Based on how easy it was, I'm willing to bet that just about anyone could teach their dog this trick. Assuming you want to.

PS -- you might want to lay down some towels. Things can get wet. Especially if/when your dog thinks you want them to target the bowl full of water with their front/back feet. Working outside is suggested.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

This is going to sound painfully stupid, but I think part of Bailey's barking at cars is his response to being over threshold when around traffic. Like today, he saw a puppy and got to sniff it and got excited; then he saw two cars which were close and barked at the second one. Other times we can be fairly close to a car and the worst he'll do is give it a hard stare, but if he's already excited, cars get him agitated enough to bark. And he stays agitated for a while because when we got back to the apartment he was all over the place.

I wish I would have had treats on me, since he's been doing better recently, but we had to run out the door before it started pouring and he really really wanted to go potty.

Also again, people yelling out of the car when my dog barks at them is not cute or helpful. Doing it multiple times and louder is also not helpful.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

wtftastic posted:

This is going to sound painfully stupid, but I think part of Bailey's barking at cars is his response to being over threshold when around traffic. Like today, he saw a puppy and got to sniff it and got excited; then he saw two cars which were close and barked at the second one. Other times we can be fairly close to a car and the worst he'll do is give it a hard stare, but if he's already excited, cars get him agitated enough to bark. And he stays agitated for a while because when we got back to the apartment he was all over the place.

I wish I would have had treats on me, since he's been doing better recently, but we had to run out the door before it started pouring and he really really wanted to go potty.

Also again, people yelling out of the car when my dog barks at them is not cute or helpful. Doing it multiple times and louder is also not helpful.

It's not stupid, recognizing your dog's triggers is not the easiest thing. Likely Bailey's heightened excitement brings him close to threshold and then cars are the trigger than send him over. It took me a while to realize that motion is one of my dog's triggers, not only the motion of whatever she's focused on (which was obvious), but her own motion if I try to move her when she's very close to threshold. When I started pausing and giving her a second before asking for her attention back, I was able to get her to walk away from situations that would have ended poorly. It's unorthodox (and makes me look like an idiot, letting my dog stand there obviously ramping up to misbehave), but it works for us.

It's a good step to recognize these things and now you can work on minimizing his excitement when you know cars will be around. Maybe work on a calming cue. Food can also be calming so always keep a treat bag ready to go. :)

People are never helpful or even very nice. :( My dog freaked out the other day at a dog in the distance and some obviously bored teens walked by and asked if I needed help (Psyche's new thing is to savagely attack her leash when it crosses her vision, :sigh:). I said I didn't, so they stuck around to watch the fun and even called out to my dog a couple times because I guess her jumping and growling wasn't exciting enough for them.

ilikechapstick
Jun 17, 2007

very, very notorious.
I just want to say that I've learned so much from reading this thread. Thanks for that.

I'm going to be getting my male Boston Terrier puppy in a couple of weeks from a reputable breeder. He'll be just about 8 weeks when we get him. It's going to be my first puppy, but my girlfriend has a 2 year old Boxer (female) who will be living in the same house with.

We're going to be crate training him for sure, but I was wondering what size crate to get? Can't find a consistent answer on it. I was thinking about something this size with a divider for the puppy stages:

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Life-Stages-Single-Door-Folding/dp/B00063MQJ4/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1YVLJYWIABPOB&colid=2YP4DLW3NF9XL

Another concern that I have is that my girlfriends mom is also getting a puppy from the same breeder. She wants to take the puppies to Ohio, about a 6-7 hour drive, to visit some of her family. This would be about 2 weeks after I get him. This concerns me, especially because they would be so young. Thoughts on this?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Alright. Since I've had Mona (around 2-3 months now) she has had maybe one accident a week in the house.

The first few I chalked up to a new environment, then the others because I wasn't keeping a close eye on her. I started gating her off in my presence and crating her every single time I wasn't home.

She has a strict schedule: 7:30am - food/pee, 7:00pm - food/pee/poo, 10:00pm - pee, then bed. Pee and poo will always happen when we go outside these three times, but she will still sneak attack a pee around once a week.

It was just over a week of pee-free party times when last night, while I was on my computer and my roommate was on his, she squatted right in front of us and just went to pee town. I had the roommate take her outside while I cleaned up the mess with the giant jug of Nature's Miracle that I bought after the first two accidents. Roommate said she peed a lot when she went out (which is normal).

So what is going on here? She's 2 years old and I had the vet check her urine for crystals and all that jazz but she came up clean. The vet suggested that this is probably behavior-related, so I'm more than likely getting in touch with a behaviorist later this week but I figured I would ask for some advice here as well.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

So you're leaving her with no breaks for 12 hours during the day? I'm not surprised you're having accidents. Get that dog out for a break every 2-3 hours and watch closely when you're home (tether, crate, etc).

I take my dog out every 3 hours when I'm home and try really hard to not force her to hold it for more that 8 hours if I can help it.

I'm posting from my phone so I'll write more later.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Not letting her pee for almost 12 hours isn't a great idea and could be a contributing factor. Try to fit in at least one more pee break during the day, preferably more. that's a long time for a dog to go without peeing

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Like others have said, it's a little long to hold it. Is this right when you leave and get home? Is your roomie there when you aren't?

Koji usually gets at least 4 walks per day, one of them being a nice long stroll around the complex/neighborhood or a run after rabbits. He's also always walked right before we leave somewhere and is walked as soon as we get back from any sort of extended trip (work, trip to the in-laws next city over, a race, etc.) even if he was walked just 3 or 4 hours earlier, he usually has SOMETHING he needs to pee on. Besides, more walkies = less crazy dog.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
So my only option is to hire a dog-sitter or take her to doggie daycare?

I don't have the luxury of being able to visit home during the workday. She's taken out right before I leave in the mornings and immediately once I'm home for the day.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Do you come home to accidents or does she tend to only do it in front of you and/or your roomie?

Angela Manaconda
Aug 1, 2010
So, unfortunate circumstances have me at my parent's house this weekend. There's going to be a lot of time for me to just sit around and be bored, unlike the last few times I've been home for anything longer than a week, so I decided I was sure as hell going to try and get started with clicker training my dog.

:( I have realized already just how badly my parents have ruined my dog.
His tricks are disgustingly sloppy. His manners are terrible. His OCD has been left alone basically since I've moved out, which was...a year and a half ago, or around there.
So I guess I have to work on "fixing" my dog, now, and trying to slowly work on my family to act differently towards Deuce. My dad is the worst of the bunch -- He yells at the dog for doing nothing, gets him riled up and then yells at him, gives him treats for tricks done incorrectly (or not at all) and is just..generally infuriating about it.

:( I can't wait until next year, when I hopefully have a house and my dog can come and live with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

paisleyfox posted:

Do you come home to accidents or does she tend to only do it in front of you and/or your roomie?

I've never come home to an accident, actually. They have always been when we are home and the last few times have all been directly in front of me/us.

• Locked thread