Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

I agree with a lot of that, but the LTE vs Wimax argument is a more complicated one as I understand it.
Except that's not LTE vs WiMAX, but 700 MHz vs 2500, or more appropriately, Verizon 4G vs Sprint 4G.

It's worth mentioning as Network Vision and the decomissioning of iDEN will enable Sprint to provide WiMAX (and later LTE) service in 850 MHz band with comparable building penetration, but still have adequate capacity with the 2500 MHz band, although this likely won't be usable with current WiMAX phones. Conversely, if Sprint were to deploy LTE in the 2500 band, it would suffer the same problems as their current WiMAX deployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
OK the "never sleep while charging" option definitely doesn't work on my nexus s

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Except that's not LTE vs WiMAX, but 700 MHz vs 2500, or more appropriately, Verizon 4G vs Sprint 4G.

It's worth mentioning as Network Vision and the decomissioning of iDEN will enable Sprint to provide WiMAX (and later LTE) service in 850 MHz band with comparable building penetration, but still have adequate capacity with the 2500 MHz band, although this likely won't be usable with current WiMAX phones. Conversely, if Sprint were to deploy LTE in the 2500 band, it would suffer the same problems as their current WiMAX deployment.

As a side note, there should be announcements about the specifics of this plan sometime this summer. If I remember right, I believe the language they used was "mid-2011", but maybe early 3Q

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've said it before, Sprint is sitting on gold at 2.5GHz simply because it has smaller coverage per watt. If no one paid close attention to that article, they have over 100MHz of spectrum in major cities JUST FOR 4G. I think either AT&T or Verizon has only 60MHz. That doesn't even touch the 850MHz iDEN spectrum they can use in parallel with the 2.5 coverage or to cover rural areas.

If they can hold out, they'll be a loving force. Step 1 was positive net additions. Step 2 is being the low cost alternative. If your network is solid and data is cheap, businesses will follow and then you're set.

Yes, they have to play things just right so it may be a bust but I'm pulling for the little guy. Of course the alternative is VZW and AT&T buying out everyone, getting all of the spectrum and still pretending there's not enough and capping the gently caress out of it while raising prices.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

I've said it before, Sprint is sitting on gold at 2.5GHz simply because it has smaller coverage per watt. If no one paid close attention to that article, they have over 100MHz of spectrum in major cities JUST FOR 4G. I think either AT&T or Verizon has only 60MHz. That doesn't even touch the 850MHz iDEN spectrum they can use in parallel with the 2.5 coverage or to cover rural areas.

If they can hold out, they'll be a loving force. Step 1 was positive net additions. Step 2 is being the low cost alternative. If your network is solid and data is cheap, businesses will follow and then you're set.

Yes, they have to play things just right so it may be a bust but I'm pulling for the little guy. Of course the alternative is VZW and AT&T buying out everyone, getting all of the spectrum and still pretending there's not enough and capping the gently caress out of it while raising prices.

The problem is that this is great for cities but not all of us live in cities. I currently live in the "country" and I'm roaming in my house even though at the beginning of the year I wasn't. 2.5Ghz is great in cities but it sucks in the "country." Also Sprint doesn't have the sheer number of towers that Verizon or AT&T does. Spectrum is great, but if you don't have towers they're going to cost more to put up than the people who already have the towers.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

spidoman posted:

Looks like the finally fixed the family plan Google voice integration problem with my account. However, the receiving a second call before going to voicemail bug is still in there. What other stuff do I need to watch out for?

Receiving a second call is actually not a bug. When the phone stops ringing the first time the caller is sent to voicemail, then it rings your phone again so you can listen in while they leave a message and decide if it's someone you really want to talk to or not. You can disable that by turning call screening off in the Google voice settings.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

god this blows posted:

The problem is that this is great for cities but not all of us live in cities. I currently live in the "country" and I'm roaming in my house even though at the beginning of the year I wasn't. 2.5Ghz is great in cities but it sucks in the "country." Also Sprint doesn't have the sheer number of towers that Verizon or AT&T does. Spectrum is great, but if you don't have towers they're going to cost more to put up than the people who already have the towers.

That's what the 700 and 800 mhz spectrum is for, and why Sprint is decommissioning its iden network on their 800 mhz holdings.

edit: also just made a connection with the following paragraphs from that article:

quote:

If the rumors of a Sprint-LightSquared network sharing deal are true, Sprint would gain access to another 59 MHz of spectrum. That would give Sprint a potential LTE network with more capacity than any of the other operators’ 2G, 3G and 4G networks combined.

Sprint would have to share that capacity with Clearwire and LightSquared’s wholesale customers and Clearwire’s own retail operations, but they’d also share capital expenditures, operational costs and possibly even some of those wholesale revenues. So Sprint not only could offer the most robust mobile broadband network in the country it could offer that network the most cost-effectively.

and that is why both AT&T's and T-Mobile's spectrum argument is more or less bullshit, but that's for another thread

torb main fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 12, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

god this blows posted:

It's not worth it to waste a lot of money covering small towns when they can cover 200 Million+ people in larger cities. Rural customers cost the most to cover and offer the least return. Sorry, but you're not a good investment for them.

EDIT: Just to add a bit, notice that only the very largest carriers had the cash to cover or buy coverage in that area.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

It's not worth it to waste a lot of money covering small towns when they can cover 200 Million+ people in larger cities. Rural customers cost the most to cover and offer the least return. Sorry, but you're not a good investment for them.

EDIT: Just to add a bit, notice that only the very largest carriers had the cash to cover or buy coverage in that area.

Sucks for the people in those areas though. There are tons of people in rural areas with no home or wireless internet. I don't think the answer is completely "well they should just move" or "too bad."

You're argument is sound, just saying it sucks for a lot of people.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Does Sprint still do the manufacturer warranty repair work in store for a 35 dollar fee thing? It looks like the earpiece speaker on my Evo is blown out which seemed to happen out of the loving blue two days ago (higher pitched sounds make a horrible buzzing noise).

Also note I'm a cheap idiot who took TEP off my phone.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

ninmeister posted:

Does Sprint still do the manufacturer warranty repair work in store for a 35 dollar fee thing? It looks like the earpiece speaker on my Evo is blown out which seemed to happen out of the loving blue two days ago (higher pitched sounds make a horrible buzzing noise).

They fixed mine for 35 bucks and I have no insurance. While they were fixing it they noticed that the frame was slightly bent. Sledding accident shhh. So they replaced the phone for free and I only had to pay that 35 bucks.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

ninmeister posted:

Yes. It will be $35 bucks.

Honestly, you usually come out way ahead by not having TEP as long as you don't lose or break your phone.

Not saying it's a fantastic idea, but if all you pay is $35 bucks, or even 70 during the life of your contract for repairs, that's still a lot cheaper than 2 years of TEP.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Chappy posted:

Yes. It will be $35 bucks.

Honestly, you usually come out way ahead by not having TEP as long as you don't lose or break your phone.

Not saying it's a fantastic idea, but if all you pay is $35 bucks, or even 70 during the life of your contract for repairs, that's still a lot cheaper than 2 years of TEP.

This is fantastic, thank you both. I would assume it would be safest to flash back to stock just in case?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ninmeister posted:

This is fantastic, thank you both. I would assume it would be safest to flash back to stock just in case?

Please flash MIUI and just confuse the hell out of them.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I thought Sprint usually overnighted phones? The Optimus I ordered Tuesday night isn't getting delivered until Monday. Kind of disappointing.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Stevie Lee posted:

I thought Sprint usually overnighted phones? The Optimus I ordered Tuesday night isn't getting delivered until Monday. Kind of disappointing.

I've always received the phone the next day no matter what the person at telesales said. Maybe I just live close to a warehouse.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Stevie Lee posted:

The Optimus has been in very high demand, so it could be that they were waiting for stock to come in. Kind of unlikely, but it's a possibility.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
It shipped yesterday morning, but stayed in Kentucky all day.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Stevie Lee posted:

It shipped yesterday morning, but stayed in Kentucky all day.

Strange, I'm not sure what happened then

Also a quick update on Google Voice stuff:

Customers on a discount plan who weren't able to access GV:
Sprint customers who receive a discount on their personal accounts* through a partnership between Sprint and their employer (corporation or gov. agency) or an organization are now able to sign up for Google Voice through https://www.google.com/voice/sprint. (*By personal accounts we are referring to accounts maintained and paid for by individuals.)

Customers having trouble accessing GV:
We also are addressing the root cause of several issues that people have encountered when trying to use Google Voice, including voicemail, international dialing and removing Google Voice. We are working on a fix and will have that in place as soon as possible. In the meantime, if you have a problem you may call Customer Care to help determine what is causing the issue.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Has anyone had problems with the touchscreen on the Nexus S not reacting to touch sometimes? Specifically, I set up a PIN to unlock my phone, and sometimes it just refuses to read input. I keep tapping and nothing registers. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue...I'm leaning more towards software, because there are other times where the touchscreen responds perfectly. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Yep, I noticed some sensitivity issues too, so you aren't alone. Also...I can't launch the youtube app, but when I go to the market to redownload it, it says its already installed, but the OPEN button is greyed out. how do i get a youtube

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

helsabot posted:

Yep, I noticed some sensitivity issues too, so you aren't alone. Also...I can't launch the youtube app, but when I go to the market to redownload it, it says its already installed, but the OPEN button is greyed out. how do i get a youtube

I was able to simply download it from the Marketplace. I noticed though that before I installed it, YouTube was apparently installed. I think what it is was some form of cache to prepare for a YouTube install, or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

When I turn the phone in landscape mode to type on the keyboard, the screen isn't responsive in the corners sometimes, but if I turn it back to portrait, it's just fine.

I think it's software too.

Also, the bug from Froyo where an app shortcut doesn't appear on the homescreen until you kill the Launcher or use another launcher like Launcher Pro is still in Gingerbread.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

god this blows posted:

Also Sprint doesn't have the sheer number of towers that Verizon or AT&T does. Spectrum is great, but if you don't have towers they're going to cost more to put up than the people who already have the towers.

Sprint actually has a TON of towers, more than AT&T or Verizon because of the Nextel and Clearwire deals. The problem is, they've got separate towers for iDEN, CDMA, and WiMax. Network Vision is all about making each tower use all three spectrums with all three protocols from each and every tower. Then they're going to decommission like a third of their towers yet still keep more around than AT&T or Verizon.

As far as the rural coverage issue, all I can figure is that people are either going to have to go satphone, or we'll have rural carriers that charge multiples of what carriers in dense population areas charge. Or the FCC spends a huge ton of money from their various rural service and universal service funds to wire out the countryside.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Anyone have an idea on when then they're going to restock on the evo shifts?

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
Is there a release day for the Evo 3D yet?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

change my name posted:

Anyone have an idea on when then they're going to restock on the evo shifts?

You on EPRP/SERO or a normal account? I have them in stock for direct ship if you need them.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Wooo hoo. Netflix finally on my Evo.bout drat time

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Wooo hoo. Netflix finally on my Evo.bout drat time

But not my Evo shift. Should have bought the phone that was 6 more months old, I guess!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TiCK posted:

But not my Evo shift. Should have bought the phone that was 6 more months old, I guess!

Fingers crossed that it hits the Shift soon (otherwise my fiance will kill me out of jealousy). Given how close it is to the Evo (and how well it sold), I would be surprised now if it wasn't supported eventually.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Deadpan Science posted:

Is there a release day for the Evo 3D yet?

no but i'd be surprised if there's not an announcement within the next couple of weeks

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Duckman2008 posted:

You on EPRP/SERO or a normal account? I have them in stock for direct ship if you need them.

Nah it's fine for now, gonna wait because I'm on a family plan and not everyone's sure about what they're upgrading to yet

Actually after just watching some evo 3d vids, I might wait a littttllleee longer

change my name fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 13, 2011

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Woo! Finally got GV integration working! It's only been a few hours but I love it already...being able to text from my computer is awesome.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
This might seem like a stupid question, but is there any way to change the Evo Shift's dialer, contacts and such (stuff you get when you open the Phone app) to look like the Samsung Moment's?

That's about the only thing I liked about the Moment over the shift. It was really clean and nice with big buttons and I knew my way around.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

TiCK posted:

This might seem like a stupid question, but is there any way to change the Evo Shift's dialer, contacts and such (stuff you get when you open the Phone app) to look like the Samsung Moment's?

That's about the only thing I liked about the Moment over the shift. It was really clean and nice with big buttons and I knew my way around.

Moment was the stock dialer, Shift is the Sense dialer. You can try an app like Dialer One or you can root and install CyanogenMod when it's even close to ready, which doesn't look like right now.

I remember Dialer One not playing will with Sense but that could be fixed now.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

DrBouvenstein posted:

Woo! Finally got GV integration working! It's only been a few hours but I love it already...being able to text from my computer is awesome.

Speaking of which...Facebook just yelled at me and turned off Text Notifications.

Is there ANY way I can get them back without disabling GV and re-enabling it, or is that my only way?

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

helsabot posted:

alsoooooo...sometimes the back button seems to get stuck. Does this happen for anyone else? I'll press it, and the light goes off, and I get stuck where ever I am for a few seconds, until it actually goes back, and then the light comes back on. It seems like it thinks I'm either continuously pressing it, or holding it down or something

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

helsabot posted:

alsoooooo...sometimes the back button seems to get stuck. Does this happen for anyone else? I'll press it, and the light goes off, and I get stuck where ever I am for a few seconds, until it actually goes back, and then the light comes back on. It seems like it thinks I'm either continuously pressing it, or holding it down or something

I haven't had that happen to me, no.

According to XDA forums, you can get the YouTube app (and any app that seems to have hidden itself) by using a file manager app like ES File Explorer (the poster notes that it won't work on Astro...I like ES File Explorer a bit better anyway) to go to system/apps and find the APK for the app and reinstall it.

You then will have to reboot and the icon should show up in the app drawer.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So the HTC Sensation has a signed bootloader which makes me worried that the EVO 3D will as well. I have really really grown to like CyanogenMod and was hoping to get it on the EVO 3D, but this doesn't bode well for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

So the HTC Sensation has a signed bootloader which makes me worried that the EVO 3D will as well. I have really really grown to like CyanogenMod and was hoping to get it on the EVO 3D, but this doesn't bode well for it.

What's the reasoning behind OEMs doing this? Is it to protect their own code or just to prevent custom ROMs?