Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Loucks posted:

Hahaha, he looks like a studious Courage Wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
So my boyfriend's sister finally took Cole the BuffaloDog to the vet because he was scratching himself raw. They prescribed some allergy meds, and it has worked WONDERS. Not only does he not scratch as much, but he has really chilled out. He may have had some sort of doggie ADHD because he seems to be less jumpy and better focused.

He also transformed into a chow puddle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Wow, how strange. I vaguely remember that some kids with ADHD turn out to have mild allergies?

Glad the meds are working for him. :)

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

Actually, since he's fully dry now, I went and did his thourough brushing/comb out, and he IS just barely starting to blow his coat. :dance: Just the tiniest bit on his back legs for now, but at least I know it's actually letting loose so I can finally be rid of it for summer. :dance:

Sitka has just started to blow as well and it's right at the tops of her front legs. Just that little bit is all that's coming off but that's enough to cover my side lawn with fur. Enough that when the wind came through it picked up all the fur and spun it up and around like furry snow.

Which Sitka then chased and then tried to eat. :doh:

I think I'm bringing her into a groomer. I just don't have the equipment to keep up the fur. Also let her clog someone else's drains.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Citizen Rat posted:

Sitka has just started to blow as well and it's right at the tops of her front legs. Just that little bit is all that's coming off but that's enough to cover my side lawn with fur. Enough that when the wind came through it picked up all the fur and spun it up and around like furry snow.

Which Sitka then chased and then tried to eat. :doh:

I think I'm bringing her into a groomer. I just don't have the equipment to keep up the fur. Also let her clog someone else's drains.

This is a good time to get her done, if you do. Going now will get the stuff that's started, plus loosen up anything that might be hanging around just from daily shedding. Then, I'd say in about 6-8 weeks, after you've been keeping up on brushing at home, go again, and the rest of the stuff SHOULD be out, if not very close. :) That is, if you feel like doling out the cash for it, I can't imagine she'd be cheap to groom.

Also, you need to post more pictures of her. :colbert:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

WolfensteinBag posted:

This is a good time to get her done, if you do. Going now will get the stuff that's started, plus loosen up anything that might be hanging around just from daily shedding. Then, I'd say in about 6-8 weeks, after you've been keeping up on brushing at home, go again, and the rest of the stuff SHOULD be out, if not very close. :) That is, if you feel like doling out the cash for it, I can't imagine she'd be cheap to groom.

Also, you need to post more pictures of her. :colbert:

Seconding all of this (especially the pictures). That's the rough guideline we use for Kaidan. He goes to the groomer around when we notice him starting to blow his coat, and then again around when it seems like he's done. He's small even for a Husky though so it's not terribly expensive.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
First PI post. My GF has a mixed breed which she got in the DC area from a terrible shelter. The vet thinks it's an American Dingo Pit bull mix. It's almost definitely APB and looks like pictures of Am Dingos. From what I've read she acts like a primitive doggie. The main thing is she doesn't come to you when you call her or sweet talk her when inside (but is fairly well behaved outside). Well she'll come if you have food or you're inviting her onto the couch or whatever, but generally calling her does nothing inside.

Overall she's sweet, just kind of rolls on her own schedule. She does have major scratching issues which are a constant battle with meds, currently atopica with limited success.

Anyone think she's part primitive?

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

rivals posted:

Seconding all of this (especially the pictures). That's the rough guideline we use for Kaidan. He goes to the groomer around when we notice him starting to blow his coat, and then again around when it seems like he's done. He's small even for a Husky though so it's not terribly expensive.

Anyone have any suggestions for groomers in Madison, WI?

Also, fine have some pictures:

Today it hit 85 degrees and someone is a little overheated

Ice bed for overheated babies. Didn't last long

Did make her somewhat happy even if it didn't last. Silly girl still doesn't like coming inside.

There are cats inside. They seem to think she's an over-sized toy.

There is in fact a dog attached to that, cat.

Oh. Okay then.

It's cooler inside, ain't it, Sitka?

Yes it is. Groomer as soon as I can find one and maybe with some of that fur off her, she'll feel better. I'm also seriously thinking about shaving her belly just so she doesn't over heat so badly since she dislikes coming inside so much. Apparently inside is boring compared to the yard where there are birds, and squirrel, and rabbits, and butterflies (yes, she chases butterflies. it is stupidly cute.) for her to chase.

Citizen Rat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 10, 2011

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Citizen Rat posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for groomers in Madison, WI?

Just take the 3 hour drive south and bring her to me! :haw: I'd have to sneak her in on my day off, though, my shop doesn't even take malamutes... :ssh:

Edit: Oh yeah, please don't shave her belly. :( She'll feel better once she sheds some of that coat.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Sitka is BEAUTIFUL. I want to cuddle her so bad it hurts.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

Just take the 3 hour drive south and bring her to me! :haw: I'd have to sneak her in on my day off, though, my shop doesn't even take malamutes... :ssh:

Edit: Oh yeah, please don't shave her belly. :( She'll feel better once she sheds some of that coat.

Is it normal for shops to refuse to take malamutes? There's a groomer here that I'm thinking about bringing her too. I don't know any other malamute owners in the area, so I have no idea who is good.

Also, good to know about the belly. She's still growing back in from where she got spayed so I thought redoing that might not be such a bad thing? :iiam: I've never had a malamute some place where it gets so warm & humid. I think I might be overreacting.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

:neckbeard: I love Sitka pictures. She's getting so big!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

We don't take them because my boss is lazy and doesn't want to deal with big dogs and a lot of hair, really. v :) v Also, we can make more money doing three or four small dogs in the time it takes to do one large furry one. It really depends on the place, it's worth it for that to be the first question out of your mouth when you call.

As far as the belly goes, if you REALLY want you can do a sanitary cut that'll cover the softest part of her belly, pretty much where you're talking about. It's really not necessary, though.

Also, I dunno about you, but it is WAY too loving hot around here today. :colbert: Just sayin'.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

It's pretty warm here and I worked from home today so we pulled out the kiddie pool for the dogs. As usual though princess Kaidan refused to get wet, but Eris loved it. It was something like this video but that was from a couple weeks ago.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
This probably sounds stupid, but do American Eskimos (and Mini Eskies) have undercoats? I've seen my boyfriend's mom's dog Calleigh (lab/husky cross) start blowing her winter coat (in easy to pull out chunks) but Roxy seems to be shedding as per normal...hair here and there but not like...chunks or any noticeable difference.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410328

Lots of undercoat discussion going on there. :)

Yes, American Eskimos do have undercoat. Roxy looks like she might have a sparser one, though, so you may be in luck in that regard. She might be late blowing her coat, too.

atomic bassoon.
Apr 3, 2009
Wolfenstein said to come here so here's another picture of Karma waving!

Actually he's just doing a very high shake, but drat it it looks like he's waving.

My roommates and I got him from the local shelter around two weeks ago and it's like he's lived here his entire life. We discovered he knows sit, shake, and lay down on command. He's a very quiet dog but pulls like none other when on a walk, so we're working on that.

I'll probably spam more photos whenever I can steal my friend's cool camera.

Also oh my god we were not prepared at how much he sheds. We're getting him groomed at some point.

edit: oh yeah, he's a smooth collie/siberian husky if anyone is curious. A HALF-PRIMITIVE.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

cuntvalet posted:

This probably sounds stupid, but do American Eskimos (and Mini Eskies) have undercoats? I've seen my boyfriend's mom's dog Calleigh (lab/husky cross) start blowing her winter coat (in easy to pull out chunks) but Roxy seems to be shedding as per normal...hair here and there but not like...chunks or any noticeable difference.

Psyche isn't blowing her coat either. I can barely get a handful combing her before she runs away. She definitely has an undercoat and is too hot, but it just isn't coming out.

Dummy dog, has to do everything the silly way.

Edit: I just remembered that Eskies supposedly come in short, medium, and long fur varieties. I think Roxy probably has short fur and Psyche might be short or medium. I've definitely seen Eskies that are much fluffier than ours. Maybe they won't blow their coats as spectacularly as others.

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 11, 2011

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

rivals posted:

It's pretty warm here and I worked from home today so we pulled out the kiddie pool for the dogs. As usual though princess Kaidan refused to get wet, but Eris loved it. It was something like this video but that was from a couple weeks ago.

Sitka Does. Not. Approve. of being wet. Not at all. She likes drizzly rain, but as soon as it starts to really come down she wants in. She doesn't like going in lakes, ponds, or rivers. Pretty much any amount of water actually capable of getting through her fur to her is a no-no. I kinda wonder if that will change with the summer, but I kinda think not.

We did our first agility class today! It was super fun. She kinda dwarfed all the other dogs by about a good 15lb. I don't think I have ever seen so many herding dogs in one place at one time. (So hyper, oh my god. those dogs would drive me crazy) It was funny because none of the other dogs seemed to have an issue with the tunnel, but Sitka looked like she thought she wouldn't fit. And a good number of them didn't like the A frame at all, but Sitka went right up and over like it wasn't no thang. Dawned on me later that she can probably see over the other side of the A frame while the other dogs couldn't because she's taller. Thus much less scary for her than it is for them.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Citizen Rat posted:

Sitka Does. Not. Approve. of being wet. Not at all. She likes drizzly rain, but as soon as it starts to really come down she wants in. She doesn't like going in lakes, ponds, or rivers. Pretty much any amount of water actually capable of getting through her fur to her is a no-no. I kinda wonder if that will change with the summer, but I kinda think not.

It's interesting because Kaidan LOVES the ocean. Anytime we're at the beach he is in the water as soon as he can be. Pools though, not so much. Never tried lakes though. Also he loves the rain. Any time it's drizzling or lightly raining he just sits in the backyard and stares into space. :downs:

Also that's awesome about agility! I would love to see some pictures of her doing it if you ever get the chance. And definitely keep us updated on how it goes :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Citizen Rat posted:

Oh my god she is adorable! A lot of mals I've seen around here look pretty grumpy all the time, but she looks soft and squishy and happy and and and :3:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think Sitka knows how to be grumpy. She's either happy or the most depressed puppy ever.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh god, fattest husky ever!! :cry:

http://www.huskyrescue.org/rescueanimals.php
(her name's Sage, second dog listed)

She weighs a whopping 63lb, and she looks like she's shorter, and definitely smaller boned, than Buddy, who's at 54! :( Poor chunky girl!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oh man that poor girl looks like a barrel :(

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It looks like someone just stretched her photo horizontally, poor girl :cry: At least they're working on slimming her down.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Some animals can be kind of cute when they are pudgy, but Sage looks awful :(

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Help my dog is stuck to the ground!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've got a 7 year old German Shep/ Chow chow mix and boy does she have a weird hybrid of obedience and tunnel vision, which can be a blessing and a curse. Ridiculously loyal and affectionate with the "family". She's the only dog I've met that likes to just go outside and sit and enjoy nature.

Hates water and avoids mud when we go on muddy trails. Loves when I take her to my friend's remote cabin, which is where I can let her off leash, which is quite a rare occurrence due to her intense desire to find and KILL KILL KILL squirrels and rabbits. She can distinguish between house pets you don't hurt and wild life. Of course licks and cleans herself and keeps relatively clean. The shedding oh God, but putting her on a better food helped immensely.

Do you have a treat for me?

No? Then I will look for prey.

Squirrel?!?!

Please give me your food. Pretty please?

Of course only looking at the food.

Bonus puppy pic. About 4 months here.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 12, 2011

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Sten Freak posted:

First PI post. My GF has a mixed breed which she got in the DC area from a terrible shelter. The vet thinks it's an American Dingo Pit bull mix. It's almost definitely APB and looks like pictures of Am Dingos. From what I've read she acts like a primitive doggie. The main thing is she doesn't come to you when you call her or sweet talk her when inside (but is fairly well behaved outside). Well she'll come if you have food or you're inviting her onto the couch or whatever, but generally calling her does nothing inside.

Overall she's sweet, just kind of rolls on her own schedule. She does have major scratching issues which are a constant battle with meds, currently atopica with limited success.

Thought someone else would get to this by now, and I've been feeling lazy, but I figure you could use a response. :) I had to actually look up "American Dingo", I didn't realize it was the same thing as a Carolina Dog. Basically, that's a fancy term for feral mutts in the US. :) Your doggie (VERY cute, btw! :3: ) is probably a mutt of a mutt of a mutt, to the point of it not being distinguishable anymore what breeds make her up. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, though! She's adorable and very unique, and you should DEFINITELY post more pictures of her. You know. For science. :science: And if she IS part Carolina Dog, that definitely would make her fit into this category a bit, since those dogs have regressed to learning to "live off the land" as it were, and I'm SURE have regained some of the craftiness of their predecessors, even if they aren't genetically close to wolves or any ancient dog breeds.

I would like to point out (just generally speaking, not calling you out or anything) that I think it's a misconception that "My dog doesn't listen!" = "Primitive Breed". Yeah, primitive dogs are definitely prone to getting away with crap and figuring out how to manipulate you, and it's a key characteristic of the group. However, people have dogs of all types that don't listen when called, are only obedient in certain situations or with bribes, and try to get away with things, even breeds that are bred to have super obedience. It's like how even though it's not very common, you can have a husky that will LOVE to fetch. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a retrieving dog, though, it would still be a husky, just a quirky one. :)

That isn't to say that any training advice in this thread is useless on other dogs, though. Since primitive dogs require you to be more clever with training (and more clever than your dog) you absolutely can take any training that works for primitives and adapt it for other dogs/breeds, especially if that dog is exhibiting the same sorts of behaviors as primitive dogs. I just don't want people to see the attitude of dogs in here, automatically assume that's why their dog isn't behaving, and let training slide because of it ("That's just how he is!")

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Sten Freak posted:

First PI post. My GF has a mixed breed which she got in the DC area from a terrible shelter. The vet thinks it's an American Dingo Pit bull mix.

Looks like a Shepherd/pit or a pit/catahoula mix. An 'American Dingo' is just a nice way of saying 'American Brown Mutt of No Identifiable Lineage', and 'Carolina Dogs' really only exist in research facilities at this point.

I also agree with Wolfenstein in that her 'not listening' is not the defining trait of primitive breeds/mixes. In fact, most primitive breeds are highly tuned to their 'one person' and quite obedient, especially if properly motivated. Saying they're 'independent' just means that they're inclined to need more rewards and motivation in training, not that they don't listen to you.

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

cheese eats mouse posted:

I've got a 7 year old German Shep/ Chow chow mix and boy does she have a weird hybrid of obedience and tunnel vision, which can be a blessing and a curse. Ridiculously loyal and affectionate with the "family". She's the only dog I've met that likes to just go outside and sit and enjoy nature.

Hates water and avoids mud when we go on muddy trails. Loves when I take her to my friend's remote cabin, which is where I can let her off leash, which is quite a rare occurrence due to her intense desire to find and KILL KILL KILL squirrels and rabbits. She can distinguish between house pets you don't hurt and wild life. Of course licks and cleans herself and keeps relatively clean. The shedding oh God, but putting her on a better food helped immensely.

Do you have a treat for me?

No? Then I will look for prey.

Squirrel?!?!

Please give me your food. Pretty please?

Of course only looking at the food.

Bonus puppy pic. About 4 months here.

She's a beauty, especially her smooth, silky saddle coat. Are you sure she's part Chow? Because I don't see ANY Chow in her at all--no odd conformation quirks, no mane, no round face. To me, she looks exactly like many Shep/Golden mixes I've met. The Shepherd colours always come through, but there's no missing that Golden coat. JMHO.
NONE of which makes her any less gorgeous!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

badmomrising posted:

She's a beauty, especially her smooth, silky saddle coat. Are you sure she's part Chow? Because I don't see ANY Chow in her at all--no odd conformation quirks, no mane, no round face. To me, she looks exactly like many Shep/Golden mixes I've met. The Shepherd colours always come through, but there's no missing that Golden coat. JMHO.

For some reason I see some spaniel in there. Could be retriever though. I think your guess is better than mine.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Speaking of mysterious shepherd mixes, I ran across a picture of this dog:

on petfinder. What has ears this big? Could she be a shepherd/husky mix? Shepherd/akita? Shepherd/ibizan hound? Shepherd/brown bat?

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

hey, is anyone doing / has anyone done a Korean Jindo post for this thread? I've been doing crazy amounts of reading on them, may be getting one this summer, if anyone's interested in the Shiba's larger psycho cousin from two countries over ...

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

WolfensteinBag posted:

Thought someone else would get to this by now, and I've been feeling lazy, but I figure you could use a response. :) I had to actually look up "American Dingo", I didn't realize it was the same thing as a Carolina Dog. Basically, that's a fancy term for feral mutts in the US. :) Your doggie (VERY cute, btw! :3: ) is probably a mutt of a mutt of a mutt, to the point of it not being distinguishable anymore what breeds make her up. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, though! She's adorable and very unique, and you should DEFINITELY post more pictures of her. You know. For science. :science: And if she IS part Carolina Dog, that definitely would make her fit into this category a bit, since those dogs have regressed to learning to "live off the land" as it were, and I'm SURE have regained some of the craftiness of their predecessors, even if they aren't genetically close to wolves or any ancient dog breeds.

I would like to point out (just generally speaking, not calling you out or anything) that I think it's a misconception that "My dog doesn't listen!" = "Primitive Breed". Yeah, primitive dogs are definitely prone to getting away with crap and figuring out how to manipulate you, and it's a key characteristic of the group. However, people have dogs of all types that don't listen when called, are only obedient in certain situations or with bribes, and try to get away with things, even breeds that are bred to have super obedience. It's like how even though it's not very common, you can have a husky that will LOVE to fetch. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a retrieving dog, though, it would still be a husky, just a quirky one. :)

That isn't to say that any training advice in this thread is useless on other dogs, though. Since primitive dogs require you to be more clever with training (and more clever than your dog) you absolutely can take any training that works for primitives and adapt it for other dogs/breeds, especially if that dog is exhibiting the same sorts of behaviors as primitive dogs. I just don't want people to see the attitude of dogs in here, automatically assume that's why their dog isn't behaving, and let training slide because of it ("That's just how he is!")
That all makes sense. And to be clear, it's not that she doesn't listen or is poorly trained or behaved. She's very obedient, it's just that she's distant maybe? She'll sit, come when she's outside, never touches food or other things that do not belong to her. It's just that if you are inside and sweet talk her or call her she almost certainly won't come. Now that's with me so with her owner maybe she's more likely to come to her. It's funny too because she doesn't like to get too far away from her mom.

She came from the ghetto and has some pit bull characteristics so I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of her but she's definitely mixed. E: thanks for the response :).

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 13, 2011

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

fuzzy_logic posted:

hey, is anyone doing / has anyone done a Korean Jindo post for this thread? I've been doing crazy amounts of reading on them, may be getting one this summer, if anyone's interested in the Shiba's larger psycho cousin from two countries over ...

Dude, I was thinking of eventually getting to Jindos, but seeing how long it took me to do the friggin Shiba post, I have no idea when that would be.

Write it up if you want to! :haw: I love Jindo! And I only know a little about them, so please go nuts!

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Visited my parents this weekend so Hrafn got to meet up with his bff4lyf again, their ridiculously short and stumpy husky/malamute/gsd/wtf rescue.

:haw: OH WOW let me help you with tha-
:catstare: gently caress off

Miss Stubbs there is indeed on a diet.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

badmomrising posted:

She has a spotted tongue and a curly tail the pictures don't show and that was her description from the pound, even though I know that's not definitive. I don't know what part she gets the coat from, but it's super soft and wavy in places and I've only felt the same softness from a lab/poodle mix. I read this thread and noticed a lot of the same characteristics. Maybe there is retriever? She was naturally fetching as a puppy and that's one of her favorite games, but absolutely hates water.

I guess I'm more suited for the mutt thread. :) Such pretty dogs in here.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 16, 2011

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

cheese eats mouse posted:

She has a spotted tongue and a curly tail the pictures don't show and that was her description from the pound, even though I know that's not definitive.

I am so not a Primitive Dog Expert, but I do believe that spotted tongues are not only found in chows; lots of other breeds can have them too. :shobon:

Sock Weasel, Hrafn is just too adorable :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Fraction posted:

I am so not a Primitive Dog Expert, but I do believe that spotted tongues are not only found in chows; lots of other breeds can have them too. :shobon:

Sock Weasel, Hrafn is just too adorable :3:

Ah well that's my ignorance, as I'm not a breed expert. I can see where the shelter thought she was one when she was a puppy, but now I'm thinking more collie/retriever as well.

• Locked thread