Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

c355n4 posted:

:hfive:

Washing the impreza? What is that?
Ha, I haven't washed or waxed my 2.5rs since the quarter panels started rusting 3 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

blargle posted:

I installed Whiteline KDT903 (rear diff inserts) last night on the car and realized they're only for one side. Is this on purpose, or should I have bought two kits?
That is correct, it is for one side only for some reason.

Cat Terrist posted:

Oh hey the fuel filter is utterly disgusting. I dont get why Subaru put the filter in the tank, bitch to change
I absolutely hate the in-tank filters. I did notice a difference in engine smoothness after replacing mine though and it was dirty as hell too.
If anyone has a plain rearview mirror that would fit an 08+ WRX or similar could you let me know? I'm looking to buy one but can't find them anywhere.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Manufacturers seem to do more of that now. No way to change a fuel filter properly (lots of people)? No fill hole for your transmission fluid (I'm looking at you VW and Audi)? Need to remove half the dash to change the cabin air filer (Subaru)? Need to pull the engine to change O(2) sensors (VW)? or the water pump (VW and Audi)?
No need to worry! Those parts are lifetime* sop you don't need to fix them anyhow.

*Lifetime means 60-120k mi.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

nm posted:

*Lifetime means 60-120k mi.

Yeah, basically that's it. They extended the longevity of certain wear items to the point where they are outside the normal lifespan of the first owner of the car which allowed them ignore ease of maintenance during the design phase.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Can anyone tell me about what this is worth?

2005 Saab 9-2 Aero, MT, silver, 75,000 miles, interior is good, hood has a scratch and there is a tiny dent on the driver door. It has an TDO-4 turbocharger some type of aftermarket turbocharger because the stock one had a problem and they recommended it over the stock as a replacement. Despite the upgraded turbocharger, I did not drive it like a maniac, honestly I hardly ever drove it except highway trips because I was riding my bike to work and around town when I lived downtown and I ride my motorcycle most places. I don't have any pictures of it to post here although I will certainly take some for the sale.

KBB says 11,300 for good condition but I don't see any listed at that price anywhere (or really any listed at all). In Raleigh, NC if that matters
edit
the turbocharger is a Forced Performance 68HTA according to the installation site
http://store.forcedperformance.net/PROD/NTSUBFP68HTA.html

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 11, 2011

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The Saabaru didn't use the TD04 stock?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure it did, same with the other 2.0L WRXes.

Maybe they swapped it with one of the "other" TD04s that mate well with the 2-liter, such as the TD04-19T. If that's the case I would make really sure that someone retuned the car after doing that.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I guess it isn't a TDO-4 then. It was an aftermarket one and they retuned it and everything. I just guessed TDO-4 because the email correspondence mentioned a refurbished one as a possibility, but I bought a new one, something else I guess. The shop said it gives me more HP over the stock. They are going to check their records and see if they can determine what they did on my car. I have the receipt somewhere at my parents house I am sure
edit
the turbocharger is a Forced Performance 68HTA according to the installation site

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 11, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

Oh hey the fuel filter is utterly disgusting. I dont get why Subaru put the filter in the tank, bitch to change

Can you at least access it without dropping the fuel tank?

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Can you at least access it without dropping the fuel tank?

Yes you can. You remove the rear seat and there is an access port on the passenger side. The fuel pump and filter are a single unit. The filter used to be in the engine bay. I love the dealers "lifetime part" explanation. What they really mean is "it's tedious and dangerous so, gently caress it".

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

Can anyone tell me about what this is worth?

2005 Saab 9-2 Aero, MT, silver, 75,000 miles, interior is good, hood has a scratch and there is a tiny dent on the driver door. It has an TDO-4 turbocharger some type of aftermarket turbocharger because the stock one had a problem and they recommended it over the stock as a replacement. Despite the upgraded turbocharger, I did not drive it like a maniac, honestly I hardly ever drove it except highway trips because I was riding my bike to work and around town when I lived downtown and I ride my motorcycle most places. I don't have any pictures of it to post here although I will certainly take some for the sale.

KBB says 11,300 for good condition but I don't see any listed at that price anywhere (or really any listed at all). In Raleigh, NC if that matters
edit

Just for reference, I sold my 2005 9-2x Aero with around 65k miles on it about 2 years ago for $11k and it still had a year and a half on the CPO warranty. It was in good condition in and out, no mods (they were removed and sold separately), had the sport package (sunroof and 17in wheels) and the manual trans. I was asking 12k but took 11k and it took me 5 months or so to sell it (I wasn't in too much of a hurry). With two more years on the one you're looking at and a few more miles, I figure you should probably be able to get that one for around $10k, though I haven't looked at used cars lately. Look at what similar year/mileage WRXs go for around you and the SAAB should actually be worth less (contrary to popular belief of their owners). Also you can check over on https://www.saab92x.com and see what they're going for around the country.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Ribsauce posted:

edit

I have that turbo and love it so far.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

dyne posted:

Ha, I haven't washed or waxed my 2.5rs since the quarter panels started rusting 3 years ago.

I sure haven't treated mine the same. :smith:

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Just noticed Cobb put up launch control and flat foot shifting for not only the '11 OTS maps, but for protunes as well. (Converter is here: http://accessecu.com/map_convert/subaru_convert_lc.html)

Any of you guys use these or have any suggestions as far as a safe RPM to set the flat foot too?

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
Okay, so here's the dilemma. I've got a big road trip coming up that will involve me towing a small trailer. Do I take my car ('99 Outback Sport) or my wife's car ('98 Buick Regal)? Both cars are going to need around $1200 in work before they're really ready for the trip, so that's basically a wash. And either car would need a trailer hitch installed. But here's the breakdown, as I see it:

Outback Sport pros:

- More versatile cargo space, which is good because I'll have two cats with me
- AWD
- Sony head unit with iPod dock
- Roof rack in case I need even more cargo capacity
- Seats are more comfortable
- Interior is already beat up, so if the cats manage to make a mess despite all precautions, I'm less concerned about it
- The wife would prefer the trailer hitch be installed on the Subie rather than her Buick

Outback Sport cons:

- The decent all-seasons I have on it now are mounted on generic steels, which are not hub-centric, and I feel like I should really be running hub-centric wheels for all the driving I'm going to be doing
- The nice factory alloys I have are wearing worn-out Potenzas, so I'd want new tires which is going to be about $400 on top of the other expenses
- Lots of wind noise, which partly negates the nice sound system at highway speeds
- Not a lot of power for mountain driving, will be worse with a trailer; also worried about more severe drop in fuel economy
- Has 150k miles compared to the Regal's 120k miles
- Only one cup holder
- Starting to rust out around the rear wheel wells, so it looks a little shabby
- Less leg room and elbow room up front
- Parts may be harder to find and more expensive if I have a mid-trip breakdown
- Needs $200 more in repairs ($1300 vs. $1100 for the Regal)

Regal pros:

- 200HP V6 for more competent towing ability
- Brand new all season tires
- Has the lower mileage of the two cars
- Pre-trip repairs are $200 less than the Subie's
- Body's in really good condition so shouldn't draw fearful glances from the country club set
- Probably easier to find parts for, should there be a breakdown along the way
- Much quieter ride
- More leg room and elbow room up front
- Has two cup holders

Regal cons:

- Not AWD
- Leather interior, which is no fun in really hot or really cold weather, and might be easily ruined by cats
- Just barely enough room in the back seat for two cat carriers, no good place for food/water/litter box
- No roof rack
- Better speakers, but factory head unit won't play CDs any more and only iPod input is via cassette adapter so the sound sucks
- Seats are less comfortable than the Impreza's
- It's a Buick, so handling feels really soft to me
- Car smells like a dead mouse, which would probably be highly entertaining for the cats but not so much for the humans

Anybody have any further thoughts?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

infrared35 posted:

Outback Sport cons:

- The decent all-seasons I have on it now are mounted on generic steels, which are not hub-centric, and I feel like I should really be running hub-centric wheels for all the driving I'm going to be doing

the lug nuts are tapered, having hub-centric wheels doesn't really matter.

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

jamal posted:

the lug nuts are tapered, having hub-centric wheels doesn't really matter.

Yeah, the "wheel balance" has been fine. I guess I'm just overly paranoid about stress on the bolts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What needs to get fixed on the OBS that's worth $1300?

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What needs to get fixed on the OBS that's worth $1300?

Timing belt: $317
LOF: $58
Tune-up: $257
Front brakes: $247
Rear brakes: $318 (includes new cylinders, which are reportedly leaking)
Air conditioning: $112

= $1330

Granted, the tune-up and brakes are the only things that "need" to be done for sure, but I have no idea if the car's ever had the timing belt replaced so I'd rather just get it done in advance of the trip. The LOF isn't critical, but again a good precaution. It is overdue. The AC isn't a huge deal right now, but it would probably become one as soon as I got south of the Mason-Dixon line.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 12, 2011

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

How heavy is this small trailer?

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

c355n4 posted:

How heavy is this small trailer?

Not too heavy. It's a 4x8' enclosed job with probably no more than about 500 pounds of cargo.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Lazor posted:

Just for reference, I sold my 2005 9-2x Aero with around 65k miles on it about 2 years ago for $11k and it still had a year and a half on the CPO warranty. It was in good condition in and out, no mods (they were removed and sold separately), had the sport package (sunroof and 17in wheels) and the manual trans. I was asking 12k but took 11k and it took me 5 months or so to sell it (I wasn't in too much of a hurry). With two more years on the one you're looking at and a few more miles, I figure you should probably be able to get that one for around $10k, though I haven't looked at used cars lately. Look at what similar year/mileage WRXs go for around you and the SAAB should actually be worth less (contrary to popular belief of their owners). Also you can check over on https://www.saab92x.com and see what they're going for around the country.
10k was what I was thinking I would get for it as well. The KBB price seemed high to me also.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
So it's been a few days since I installed swaybars and assorted bushings on my '11, and I have to say that it's not the same bang for the buck upgrade they were on my '02. On the bugeye swaybars alone made it feel like a whole new car, but for the '11 they only seem to shine a spotline on how sloppy the struts are. Maybe Subaru has downgraded the struts in the past few years, or possibly my rosy memory of the old car is clouding my judgement.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The '11 does have some really stiff spring rates - they definitely went to the 90s Nissan school of suspension tuning. I assume they also made some changes to damping and suspension travel what with going with the Legacy rear suspension setup in '08. Are they still using KYB GR2s on the '11?

On the '02, swaybar endlinks alone made it feel like a whole new car. The chassis was super stiff but almost all of the suspension was terrible commuter-car stuff, worse than the GC-chassis RHD WRXes that I've driven.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 12, 2011

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

blargle posted:

So it's been a few days since I installed swaybars and assorted bushings on my '11, and I have to say that it's not the same bang for the buck upgrade they were on my '02. On the bugeye swaybars alone made it feel like a whole new car, but for the '11 they only seem to shine a spotline on how sloppy the struts are. Maybe Subaru has downgraded the struts in the past few years, or possibly my rosy memory of the old car is clouding my judgement.

I just replaced my 09 WL sways back to stock. I thought it would be horrible but it's no that bad. I believe the 08+ rear suspension design is more compact with less range than the previous design. I used the firmest setting on the rear WL and noticed the VDC would flash and the car would shudder on two uphill intense right angle street exits. I switched to the softest setting and it happened less often. On stock bars it never happens anymore. My theory is the rear doesn't tolerate the reduced independence with firmer bars as the McPherson did. I really liked the front on full firm though. This was only ever an issue I noticed during extreme demands upon the suspension. On flat roads the firm bars reduce body roll a lot.

I was never clear on this, how does the front setting relate to the rear and vice versa? Would you consider the front half to be isolated from the rear half or is one half effected in some way by the other?

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
Are Wrx and sti bypass valves the same part? I can my hands on a wrx part but want to make sure it will work ok.

My car is an 05 sti with a useless blow off that it's not tuned for.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

efnii posted:

Are Wrx and sti bypass valves the same part? I can my hands on a wrx part but want to make sure it will work ok.

My car is an 05 sti with a useless blow off that it's not tuned for.

They're even the same part number:

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=9935

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=9936

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

(((k))) posted:

I just replaced my 09 WL sways back to stock. I thought it would be horrible but it's no that bad. I believe the 08+ rear suspension design is more compact with less range than the previous design. I used the firmest setting on the rear WL and noticed the VDC would flash and the car would shudder on two uphill intense right angle street exits. I switched to the softest setting and it happened less often. On stock bars it never happens anymore. My theory is the rear doesn't tolerate the reduced independence with firmer bars as the McPherson did. I really liked the front on full firm though. This was only ever an issue I noticed during extreme demands upon the suspension. On flat roads the firm bars reduce body roll a lot.

I was never clear on this, how does the front setting relate to the rear and vice versa? Would you consider the front half to be isolated from the rear half or is one half effected in some way by the other?

with the bigger rear bar you were picking up the inside rear tire and the car has no LSD, so it was using VDC to try to stop wheel spin.

Having the front or rear proportionally stiffer means that end does more to resist overall body roll. That means it's loading the tire more, generating more slip angle, and will start to slide earlier. This is in a ideal situation, and a Subaru isn't really. There are two main reasons a car will want to understeer. 1 is that it's front heavy and AWD, so you're asking the front tires to do more right off the bat. The other is because of the suspension geometry, which essentially causes you to be cornering on the outside edge of the tires. Even though a front swaybar should fundamentally cause an increase in understeer, some people (auto-xers especially), find that just the front bar improves front grip because you're keeping the car flatter and the front tires in better contact with the ground.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Most of the guys who autox in the club put the biggest front bar they can find (I've seen 29mm. Seriously.) on and then a small adjustable rear to dial in the amount of oversteer they'd like.

YMMV, and I'm still on stock bars myself.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
So I'm set to 22mm F/R, should I go up a notch in the front and softer in the back? I'm putting the Bilsteins on next week anyway, maybe I'll wait and see if that fixes the problem.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'd beef up the front and then play around with the balance in the rear until you arrive at something you like.

If the car likes to try and spin under braking or has too much lift off oversteer you need to soften the rear, unless of course you like that kind of thing (I don't; my technique aggressively uses throttle-on understeer combined with a late apex to lock in the steering angle).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 12, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I have 22mm front and rear bars with the front set to soft and the rear to stiff, and the car is actually really neutral. I'm really tempted to pick up some STI control arms to widen the front track and increase caster. Probably going to auto-x at cal speedway in two weeks so we'll see how it does.

I also need to get my re-valved STi struts installed. Replacing the springs, swaybars, and every suspension bushing really makes the struts show their weaknesses. Plus mine have like 50-60k on them by now.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 12, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Most of the review's I've read have stated that the '11 WRX is a LOT more neutral out of the box than any other previous years due to a combination of the suspension tweaks and wider wheels.

The biggest things I notice driving my '02 and '11 back to back is that the ride is leaps and bounds better in the '11 and the turn-in is a poo poo load better. Of course, my '02 has 112k miles on its suspension compared to the 5k of the '11.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Most of the guys who autox in the club put the biggest front bar they can find (I've seen 29mm. Seriously.) on and then a small adjustable rear to dial in the amount of oversteer they'd like.

YMMV, and I'm still on stock bars myself.

I've got a custom 32mm front sway on my 08 STI for autox. I run in stock street tire class so I still have the stock rear bar and street tires. It really helps flatten out the car in the turns and makes the handling very predictable.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

hey look a shortblock

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Took a slightly better picture of where the oil looks to be seeping out of my head (now only on the one side, still giving it time for the autorx to completely get out of the gaskets)

Apologies (not really) for the cell phone pic:

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I just put some 255/40R17 Z1 Star Spec's on my 2011 WRX (stock rims) today, hilarious amounts grip. The car has an even heavier, firmer planted feeling now. Also makes me feel like I want to just throw the exhaust I have on it. UGGGHHH If only that guy hadn't rear ended me. :(

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 13, 2011

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Most of the review's I've read have stated that the '11 WRX is a LOT more neutral out of the box than any other previous years due to a combination of the suspension tweaks and wider wheels.

My Legacy feels really neutral for what it is, surprisingly enough. Turn is phenomenal too, but it still has some pretty run of the mill understeer.

Speaking of handling,

now the long wait till Wednesday when I can get them installed :allears:

Hopefully with a rear sway bar it'll be closer to what it should have been from the factory.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Cracked open my whirring 4.44 vLSD diff today:

Can't tell whats wrong with it. I'll be asking smart people who know what the gently caress they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Are GC wagon struts the same as the 02+ wagon struts? I don't want to lose camber.