Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
That really sucks man. :(

And gently caress those neighbors...that's like the opposite of neighborhood watch, wtf?

I know it's too late, but this came up here, I think in AI, as a good way to combat thieves and vandals if you have to park in open areas. Basically it's a motion sensor that when triggered takes a pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Is it just me or is this dumb? Its a 3 year old bike. If it hasn't been ridden at all in those years wouldn't it have problems?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/2361855299.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coredump posted:

Is it just me or is this dumb? Its a 3 year old bike. If it hasn't been ridden at all in those years wouldn't it have problems?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/2361855299.html

Not if it's been properly prepped before sale. Fresh fluid, gas, oil, etc. Of course, the chances of a dealership doing that are low, but that's just how it goes...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

Not if it's been properly prepped before sale. Fresh fluid, gas, oil, etc. Of course, the chances of a dealership doing that are low, but that's just how it goes...

What about the price is though? Is that high or what you would expect?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coredump posted:

What about the price is though? Is that high or what you would expect?

It's sort of a weird thing because the earlier ones MSRPed at 9.5, but the new ones MSRP at 11k, despite being the exact same bike. So figure about 12k out the door for a 2011, which makes 9.5 for a 08 an ok deal...but you could probably pick up a used one for 6-8k depending on condition/mods/etc, so I don't really feel it'd be worthwhile at 9.5k. But KTMs are such a small market, prices tend to stay higher than you'd expect for a big 4 supersport or similar, and I'm an obsessive deal hunter, so my standards are a bit unreasonable anyways.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Z3n, I assume you were talking about this bike?

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/2348453815.html

Right up my ally. High miles and laid down (cheap price, bro!)

I assume I could haggle him to $5k, too. Assuming he did the 7,500 mile maintenance (Spark plug and something else?) not too bad of a deal. What do you think? I wanna see pictures of the damage.

OH GOD DON'T TEMPT ME

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

Z3n, I assume you were talking about this bike?

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/2348453815.html

Right up my ally. High miles and laid down (cheap price, bro!)

I assume I could haggle him to $5k, too. Assuming he did the 7,500 mile maintenance (Spark plug and something else?) not too bad of a deal. What do you think? I wanna see pictures of the damage.

OH GOD DON'T TEMPT ME

If I didn't already have one, I would have bought it. It was initially listed at 5800, so I bet you could swing it for 5k flat. And mine has more miles than that (just rolled past 10k). Don't be calling my poo poo high mileage!

Anyways, here's a sedate 690 SMC ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNhHlrJBOLA

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Z3n posted:

If I didn't already have one, I would have bought it. It was initially listed at 5800, so I bet you could swing it for 5k flat. And mine has more miles than that (just rolled past 10k). Don't be calling my poo poo high mileage!

Anyways, here's a sedate 690 SMC ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNhHlrJBOLA

Hmm, I think it's a good deal all things considered. Problem is of course getting a ride and such. Maybe I can take a train up. You think you'd check it out with me?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

Hmm, I think it's a good deal all things considered. Problem is of course getting a ride and such. Maybe I can take a train up. You think you'd check it out with me?

Yeah for sure. Send me a PM or something with your number, I'll give you mine and we can figure it a time to check it out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I won't be able to until the weekend of May 20th. Then I take time off June 17th. Doubt it'll be around in summer.

You think it's a good deal for the price it's at? I'll give him a call.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seems pretty reasonable. I got a slightly better deal on mine but only because mods are worthless. :v:

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009

I think this guy is off by a few thousand.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

To be honest only about $1k. People want a poo poo ton of money for those 2008+ SMCs

I guess no one gave him the "mods decrease value" memo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That 690 SMC is sold. Time to stalk craigslist.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Christoff posted:

That 690 SMC is sold. Time to stalk craigslist.

Pro tip: Chrome (or firefox) + Craigslist rss feed pointing to searches of what you're looking for = easy first dibs ;)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Also there is an app for that(heh) if you have a smart phone.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Time to reseal my rocker cover on my KTM. It doesn't absolutely *need* it but I don't like seeping oil on my engine case.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Christoff posted:

To be honest only about $1k. People want a poo poo ton of money for those 2008+ SMCs

I guess no one gave him the "mods decrease value" memo

Pretty sure that doesn't apply to bikes at least to a lot of people.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh no, the itch is coming back.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2371143411.html

or

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2364550487.html

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Also there is an app for that(heh) if you have a smart phone.

What's the app?

I really want an SMC before the end of summer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KidDynamite posted:

What's the app?

I really want an SMC before the end of summer.

Google Reader does it on Androids.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Google Reader does it on Androids.

iPhone user over here. :( well not really but for right now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Apparently 'Reeder' is good for iOS :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Just been offered a race prepped KTM 620 for a very decent price.

Just received a bonus from work that would cover it very nicely.

Practically speaking I need this bike like a fish needs a fillet knife...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Are there any sumo tracks/racing in your area?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ReelBigLizard posted:

Sounds like you need it pretty bad.. I picture a fish with a filet knife in it's mouth commando style to fight off sharks.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Are there any sumo tracks/racing in your area?

No. There's a regular hill climb event, but that's about it. Unless I can convince the go-cart track to let me hoon about. I'm not an unreasonable distance from northern france though.

quote:

Sounds like you need it pretty bad.. I picture a fish with a filet knife in it's mouth commando style to fight off sharks.

Well, when you put it like that..

It's been stripped to bare essentials, no clock, no key, FMF race exhaust fitted, what looks like an additional remote oil filter, FMF race ignition, factory discs, braided everything, looks like the shock isn't stock either. It was owned by a very respected local racer and professional mechanic and it started on the first kick.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Can it be ridden on the street? I think that'd be amazing fun for a hillclimb, although I dunno if you could run it regularly enough to make it worthwhile. Sounds like an awesome toy though, especially if you did some traveling.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
One of the perks of where I live is that we have no MOT, noise or emissions regulations. Basically if you have a plate and tyres that aren't bald you're good to go. You don't even need a headlight if you only ride it during daylight hours. Technically there's nothing stopping me from using it to hoon to work and back.

Hill climbs are pretty much every bank holiday plus a few Sundays as soon as it's dry enough to be safe.

http://www.motorsportcircuits.co.uk/html/val-des-terres-hillclimb.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

One of the perks of where I live is that we have no MOT, noise or emissions regulations. Basically if you have a plate and tyres that aren't bald you're good to go. You don't even need a headlight if you only ride it during daylight hours. Technically there's nothing stopping me from using it to hoon to work and back.

Hill climbs are pretty much every bank holiday plus a few Sundays as soon as it's dry enough to be safe.

http://www.motorsportcircuits.co.uk/html/val-des-terres-hillclimb.html

Holy poo poo that looks amazing. And in the track video, clipping the hedge at the end, crazy.

But yeah, gently caress yeah, buy it if you can street it too.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
That video is awesome!! That guy doesn't give a gently caress, just straight up hopping up the curb onto the pavement to widen his line!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Edit: wrong thread

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 13, 2011

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Everyone uses the curb, they purposefully made all the curbs nearly flush with the road surface. The last corner sees a lot of slides and bumps as people try to power over the line. Even riding the road day-to-day I've had the back step out there when I've been too eager to get on the power. The second to last corner is the worst for bikes though, all the corners before it have a camber but that one is completely flat and if you're not expecting it you can expect to be pulled out of the hedge. When we have inter island events or visitors it's not uncommon to see a few offs there.

I've spoken to my friend who's selling the 620, if he still has it by pay day we're going to talk, if he gets a good offer in the mean time though it's no-hard-feelings.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is that guy in the video driving a Caterham or a Lotus 7? That looks fun as hell, I wish they did something like this here.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ReelBigLizard posted:

Some day you'll be on your death bed surrounded by family. Do you want to tell your great-grandchildren how practical you were or how you used to do wheelies for days.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Russian Bear posted:

Is that guy in the video driving a Caterham or a Lotus 7? That looks fun as hell, I wish they did something like this here.

A Caterham or similar clone, I really must do a thread on our hill climb one day, it's no TT but there's some interesting stuff turns up to race. It's one of the main roads going south out of town so it only gets raced on public holidays*.

quote:

Some day you'll be on your death bed surrounded by family. Do you want to tell your great-grandchildren how practical you were or how you used to do wheelies for days.

...Or how I generously passed on great deals so that others could wheelie for days.

The problem is that I can already do wheelies for days if I so wish (or sometimes when I don't); I have a 690 SMC already.

*And by a few less sane individuals in the early hours of week days.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Don't buy the racebike and put the money towards an awesome trip or trackdays/racing. You've already got a 'tard so put the money toward cool experiences rather than more fancy toys.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Ugh. When will I get this FCR dialed in???

The DRZ has been running great in the cooler spring weather. 2 days ago it got hot and humid. First it started stalling on decel, which was an easy fix by changing my air/fuel mixture to be a bit more lean.

This morning the bike won't start. It turns over and sounds good but no spark. For some reason I think the plug is fouled but I have no basis for why I think this. Hopefully after work I'll tear it down and check the plug. Why is the plug so difficult to remove?

Any other thoughts to why it may not be starting? Should weather temp/humidity really be making this big of a difference on my bike?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
When was the last time you checked your valves? I've never found any 4T bikes that sensitive to jetting when they are dialed in properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I've never checked the valves. The bike only has about 4000 miles on it. Thanks for the suggestion, I may look into that.

• Locked thread