Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jijt-hP1jxA&feature=related

Goon photography at its best!

They go to great lengths to make him non-threatening and to make it appear consentual but during the room reveal I was thinking the little SAW doll could roll on in there and it would have fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
:aaa: Oh my God.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

How the gently caress did enough people not think that was creepy as poo poo that it got to the point of actually being made?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How the gently caress did enough people not think that was creepy as poo poo that it got to the point of actually being made?

Only in Asia :downsgun:

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

See now I can get behind this because it's a movie about a tyre that comes to life and it's begging for creative camerawork. Really I'm perfectly happy to enjoy something pretentious if it's well made and shot. I'll definitely watch this.
Days of Heaven is pretty unbelievable on Blu-Ray, there's tons of others I could recommend but I'd rather not bomb the thread with a huge list.

Baraka is awesome too.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

East Lake posted:

{spoiler}Baraka is awesome too.{/spoiler}

I just watched Baraka for the first time yesterday, I have a very low tolerance for slow paced art films, but holy poo poo this is not one. It's one of the most emotionally intense movies I've ever seen I literally had to stumble over and slam the off button when they showed Auschwitz.

Watch it today, and make you when you do it's on a projector with decent speakers and not a laptop screen.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

I mean this is creative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I3ST61AMo

But it tells me jack poo poo about the camera and why I should want one. Saying "this commercial was filmed on it" makes me go "holy poo poo, that's amazing quality I need it."

Now I kind of want to know if there's an easy way of syncing the clock (and locking the user out from setting it manually) on Canon bodies because otherwise how would you verify close kills in Camera Assassin.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I got my 70-200 2.8 today, and whew... is it heavy. It's bigger and heavier than I expected, especially on the 7D. Good luck hand-holding that. Wow.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jijt-hP1jxA&feature=related

Goon photography at its best!

Thailand has some very good commercials, but that's definitely one for the home market.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

tarepanda posted:

I got my 70-200 2.8 today, and whew... is it heavy. It's bigger and heavier than I expected, especially on the 7D. Good luck hand-holding that. Wow.

You get used to it quickly, you can definitely handhold a 70-200.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Just impulse bought a $25 ringflash from these guys -

DIY lighting ringflash

Strobist just linked them so they should be exploding. Looks like an interesting product and $25 in lighting dollars is essentially a cheap bracket or swivel.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

tarepanda posted:

A battery grip will balance that out perfectly. You can also set the camera on your shoulder then and look through the viewfinder to give your arms a rest.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Anti_Social posted:

A battery grip will balance that out perfectly. You can also set the camera on your shoulder then and look through the viewfinder to give your arms a rest.

poo poo, that's clever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So this guy has over a thousand instant cameras.

http://polala.hk/my-list/index.html

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Anti_Social posted:

Having owned both a 70-200 and a battery grip, I'm having trouble figuring out how this works without some horribly awkward arm and neck positioning. Can you clarify this a bit?

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

tuyop posted:

So this guy has over a thousand instant cameras.

http://polala.hk/my-list/index.html

"What do you mean instant film is being phased out?" :qq:

Ps, those that have nifty-fifties, how long have yours held out? I have had mine for almost three years now and I am wondering how long I should expect it to last. I use it a lot :(

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Sure. I do a variation of the last image from here:

http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/2008/03/10/da-grip/

I use my left hand to support the lens barrel from the right side, and zoom with my thumb/index finger. I find it comfortable, but it may not be for everyone. I also have a pretty well developed notch at my shoulder joint I can rest the corner of my camera in.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

General Gingersnap posted:

Ps, those that have nifty-fifties, how long have yours held out? I have had mine for almost three years now and I am wondering how long I should expect it to last. I use it a lot :(

I got mine in 2003, and it gets used all the drat time. Still going strong.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

If it breaks at least it's cheap enough to replace with relative ease! That's the beautiful thing about them after all. But despite the cheap construction there is no reason to believe it's going to crap out on you suddenly. Unless you drop it.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

I've got a 50 2.0 from the 80's that is still kickin rear end on my N2000

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Having owned both a 70-200 and a battery grip, I'm having trouble figuring out how this works without some horribly awkward arm and neck positioning. Can you clarify this a bit?

Yeah, I'd like some clarification too... the closest thing I can think of is shooting sideways, but it doesn't feel like it really helps much to have it on my shoulder.

I'm only 5'10" and a relatively skinny guy, too. Tiny hands.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Unless you break it, why wouldn't it last forever, just like any other lens?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well if it's a cheap-ish lens then you can theoretically expect the motor to die or something I guess.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

My dream lens is a 50mm f1.4 L USM with weathersealing

The one canon make now feels too fragile :(

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

Reichstag posted:

Unless you break it, why wouldn't it last forever, just like any other lens?

Well the Canon 50mm 1.8 is pure plastic, and I have heard that at some point the lens just "falls apart in your hands" when shooting. I am just paranoid, I just bought a new lens and the last thing I want happen is one of my mainstays to break, especially when the prices have gone up to around $135. Still dirt cheap though. When I was in Cambodia I went out on a day trip with just that lens and I thought "what if this fucker breaks." I should invest in the L

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I am just paranoid, I just bought a new lens and the last thing I want happen is one of my mainstays to break, especially when the prices have gone up to around $135
Canon almost always has refurbs in stock for $100.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
^^^ True, I completely forgot about refurbished.

Ps you bros should buy a Kiev 60.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
[quote="General Gingersnap"I should invest in the L
[/quote]

I thought that too, but got the 1.4. I've heard lots of things about the 1.2 and most of them weren't good.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Ps you bros should buy a Kiev 60.

They should buy my Kiev 60.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Buy Reichstag's Kiev 60, do it. The Arsat lens they usually come with is insanely sharp. From the first roll with my Kiev:

General Gingersnap fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 13, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What is a Kiev 60?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Kiev 60s are fun. I like mine. If you've got some money to burn and like medium format, get one. The Arsat 30mm fisheye is a hoot.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Just one of the coolest Ukrainian cameras ever made. Its a medium format SLR that can be found for pretty cheap. Its an inexpensive way to get into medium format photography, and it has a Pentacon Six lens mount so lenses are considerably cheaper than other medium format systems. Beware though, Kiev cameras are notoriously unreliable due to the Arsenal factory's awful quality control. Duds are duds, but if you get your hands on a good one you should be fine. You can buy refurbished ones from Arax (http://araxfoto.com/)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd be lying if I said I didn't regret getting rid of my MF camera. I might pick something like that up at some point.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I use the Vega-12 90mm f/2.8 as my normal lens as opposed to the usual Volna or Arsat 80mm.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How much roughly?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Anti_Social posted:

Very true. Adding a battery grip to my 60D made hand holding my 70-200 f2.8 easier.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

8 months until my camera fell 6 feet and landed lens-first on a marble floor. The second one has held up nicely.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, I'd like some clarification too... the closest thing I can think of is shooting sideways, but it doesn't feel like it really helps much to have it on my shoulder.

I'm only 5'10" and a relatively skinny guy, too. Tiny hands.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Edit: I have to use my left eye, which was a little weird at first - but I've grown pretty acclimated to shooting like this. You can push the lower limits of your shutter speed if you get it down right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Buy Reichstag's Kiev 60, do it. The Arsat lens they usually come with is insanely sharp. From the first roll with my Kiev:

I have a Zeiss Biometar 80 2.8 for mine, haven't bothered to try my arsat out.

Scans courtesy of my terrible canoscan 8600f. My cheap flatbed MF scans seem really inadequate now that I have a dedicated 35mm scanner, since I can actually see what properly focused scans look like. That's really the reason I would consider selling my MF gear, it's hard for me to justify using without scans of comparable quality.