Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Contra Calculus posted:

Thanks pigdog, Dr. Snofeld, and Faerie Fortune for the advice on Amnesia.

I just got past the part with the invisible fucker in the water that chases you to the second big part of the castle. So far it's seemed like I haven't come into contact with any visible monsters that I've seen from gameplay videos online. Is my game broken or do they just not appear until later in the game or have I just had dumb luck avoiding them? Also, please tell me that that I don't have to deal with that invisible water thing again. :ohdear:

Yeah, the water onster is supposed to be invisible. As for the lack of visible ones, I'll just say "Storage" and leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Jesus! You weren't kidding about that storage room. Welp, it's sure been a long time since I've made use of my good ol' brown pants.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm completely and totally late to the party, but I'm about to play Assassin's Creed 1 on 360. I don't even know what this game's like, is it anything like Hitman?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Someone will have to explain to me how Samedi-Ronin-Brotherhood is the most logical storyline progression. It's definitely worst to best as far as storylines themselves because Brotherhood has by far the best cutscenes from top to bottom, but Brotherhood clearly starts with you being worthless, fresh out of the box & it makes no sense to take out two gangs and then suddenly be bargaining with the kingpin of the last remaining gang for a cut of his profits.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

oldskool posted:

Someone will have to explain to me how Samedi-Ronin-Brotherhood is the most logical storyline progression. It's definitely worst to best as far as storylines themselves because Brotherhood has by far the best cutscenes from top to bottom, but Brotherhood clearly starts with you being worthless, fresh out of the box & it makes no sense to take out two gangs and then suddenly be bargaining with the kingpin of the last remaining gang for a cut of his profits.

I always did Samedi-Brotherhood-Ronin, made far more sense to me, as the Brotherhood treats you from the beginning as though you're on roughly even ground with them, though they are certainly still assholes about it. Also seemed to be a really good story progression from random drug dealers, to organized gun runners, to the Yakuza.

And Ultor's involvement grows greater as the story progresses if you do this order.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm completely and totally late to the party, but I'm about to play Assassin's Creed 1 on 360. I don't even know what this game's like, is it anything like Hitman?

It's more like a sandbox murder game. You trigger the assassination scenario for your target when you get in range of it. Overall, the game isn't super fun, because it's incredibly repetitive. Play it for a bit to get used to it, wiki the story, and get 2, because 2 is way, way better.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I love the Middle East as a setting way more than the Italian countryside and it's a shame they're focusing on Ezio again. I'd say play the first game until you get to see the three major cities then turn it off and read a story spoiler. It's a boring game but the setting is great.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I just started in on Prince of Persia 2008. In the beforeiplay wiki, it mentions that there's no real reason to go for all the light seeds. I'm enjoying the game, but collecting them is such a chore. How many light seeds is "enough" or can I get away with mostly ignoring them and just picking up the ones that are in my way on my way out of a zone?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tensai posted:

I just started in on Prince of Persia 2008. In the beforeiplay wiki, it mentions that there's no real reason to go for all the light seeds. I'm enjoying the game, but collecting them is such a chore. How many light seeds is "enough" or can I get away with mostly ignoring them and just picking up the ones that are in my way on my way out of a zone?

It will tell you how many you need to progress, and outside of achievements, thats how many you need. There is no benefit for extras. At first there is a famine of light seeds but by the end of the game you'll end up swimming in them. Basically just complete each area twice and go back to paths between purified areas and you should end up with plenty.

Games a lot of fun and the platforming is smooth so you probably won't feel like your grinding too much except at the very beginning.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

al-azad posted:

I love the Middle East as a setting way more than the Italian countryside and it's a shame they're focusing on Ezio again. I'd say play the first game until you get to see the three major cities then turn it off and read a story spoiler. It's a boring game but the setting is great.

The next one will be more Ezio, but it's set in Constantinople.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Here's some advice:

-Use counters (as soon as you unlock the ability) and heavy slashes for fights. One or two counters will kill any non-boss enemy.
-If an enemy is taunting you or appears to be distracted, quickly switch to the hidden blade and attack him.
-The hidden blade can be used in combat, but you can't block or attack with it. It's a one-hit kill against everything, but its counter window is small.
-You don't have to do all the side missions to activate an assassination memory; just two or three are enough (the game will tell you when the assassination is available).
-The easiest missions are eavesdropping and stealing (just sneak up on the target and don't hold circle when they're not moving).

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
So I just got La Pucelle Tactics. This is my first tactics game. Was this a bad choice? I've been having fun with the tutorial dungeon so far.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Not only do you not have to do all the investigation missions in Assassins Creed, literally DON'T do all of them. There is no reward for them, and some of them are annoying as hell, like "kill x amount of guards in 3 minutes without being detected". Your only reward for doing them is a hint on how to easily assassinate your target; advice that you will probably ignore anyway as there's really no reason why you can't stumble in there and murder everyone in sight.

If you're insane like me and need to get all the flags, this website will help you locate them and track them. Actually, I'm pretty sure there's no way to get them all without this site. http://www.assassinscreed-maps.com/

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

ape canyon posted:

So I just got La Pucelle Tactics. This is my first tactics game. Was this a bad choice? I've been having fun with the tutorial dungeon so far.

Each chapter has a secret goal you can do. I forget if it just gets you items or if they involve the ending but you'll probably need a FAQ to not miss any.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

oldskool posted:

Pretty sure Brotherhood is supposed to be first for that reason, and for a more spoiler-y continuity reason, and because the game pushes you into starting their first mission at the caverns before anything else.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ape canyon posted:

So I just got La Pucelle Tactics. Was this a bad choice?

Maybe. The NTSC version has no New Game +.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Maybe. The NTSC version has no New Game +.

I'm totally new to this genre, so I'm not sure that'll be too much of an issue for me. Do you have any tips on how to not be horrible at this game/genre? SO far I've just been killing monsters and healing, and using special abilities when it seems beneficial. Also leveling up my zombie buddy :3:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ape canyon posted:

I'm totally new to this genre, so I'm not sure that'll be too much of an issue for me. Do you have any tips on how to not be horrible at this game/genre? SO far I've just been killing monsters and healing, and using special abilities when it seems beneficial. Also leveling up my zombie buddy :3:

It might be obvious to you and everyone else, but it took me forever to get and helps immensely. Figure out how to do Miracles, and do them a lot. They involve setting up your characters, enemies, and panels so the rays on the floor. You want to get the things going into a spiral to get as much as possible.

There are items you can use to change the way an enemy faces, but you can use them without consuming them. Just highlight the enemy after selecing the item, position it, and then cancel out of it. The enemy will still be facing the same way. This will make things so much easier.

Also, I found one of the best ways to get levels was to kill your own guys.

Personally, I thought the gameplay was a lot better then disgaea, but the story is extremely mediocre.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Alright! I got a bunch of games right now that I'm getting ready to play over the summer and am looking for knowledge from you all!

What should I know before I play Dead Rising 1, Bayonetta, Assassin's Creed II, Red Dead Redemption, and (for a laugh) Perfect Dark Zero?

(I picked up the last one for two bucks and kind of know it's poo poo already, the main thing I'm asking for is how to make it enjoyable, I guess)

Pyraen
Feb 20, 2009
I've got a question about Assassin's Creed 1. Is it possible to assassinate the major targets (or bosses or whatever you would call them :confused:) without being caught? Every major assassination, I tried to sneak in carefully and take them out using stealth, only to be sighted just before killing them and being forced to fight a bunch of guards while chasing my target.

Perhaps I just sucked at the game. :saddowns:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

oldskool posted:

I like doing it Samedi-Ronin-Brotherhood because the cutscenes get more and more hosed up as you play through it. The Samedi is more of a "Hey dude, watch me blow up this drug dealer!", the ronin turns out to be more of a revenge mission, and at that point it seemed like The Boss was taking out the Brotherhood because (s)he was bored.

My coop partner and I seriously had to stop playing after a few of the cutscenes, they were that hosed up.

Then we got to the final missions and all was well.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Pyraen posted:

I've got a question about Assassin's Creed 1. Is it possible to assassinate the major targets (or bosses or whatever you would call them :confused:) without being caught? Every major assassination, I tried to sneak in carefully and take them out using stealth, only to be sighted just before killing them and being forced to fight a bunch of guards while chasing my target.

Perhaps I just sucked at the game. :saddowns:

You can with most of them but you get chased after each one pretty much, which is why Assassin's Creed is not a real stealth game

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Here's something majorly important that I missed my first time through: If you equip the throwing knives in melee, you can use the dagger. The dagger is way better at counter kills than the sword and should be your weapon of choice for huge fights.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Alright! I got a bunch of games right now that I'm getting ready to play over the summer and am looking for knowledge from you all!

What should I know before I play Dead Rising 1, Bayonetta, Assassin's Creed II, Red Dead Redemption, and (for a laugh) Perfect Dark Zero?

(I picked up the last one for two bucks and kind of know it's poo poo already, the main thing I'm asking for is how to make it enjoyable, I guess)

Dead Rising: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dead_Rising_1

Bayonetta: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Bayonetta

That's all the wiki has got. If someone responds to give tips for the other games (Assassin's Creed 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Perfect Dark Zero), I'll add them to the wiki!

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
How about Might and Magic 7? 6 is one of my favorite games, and I've decided to try some of the later entries to see how they stack up.

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 13, 2011

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

flatluigi posted:

There's a ton of stuff to unlock in Bayonetta. The best piece of advice I can give is not to worry about ranking on your first normal run, and to just enjoy the game and learn to play better. You may want to look up a grinding guide, but don't worry about that until, I'd say, the last difficulty or after.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

flatluigi posted:

Bayonetta
- Unlock the Bat Transform technique as soon as it appears in the shop.
- If an Alfheim Portal is giving you trouble, skip it and come back later when you have more moves/weapons at your disposal.
- Don't think too hard about the story, you will only hurt yourself.

Assassin's Creed 2
- Dump all your money into Villa Improvements. Drown in a tidal wave of cash by mid-game.

Red Dead Redemption
- Do the missions for the chick at the ranch first, at least up until you get the Lassoo.
-If you are challenged to a duel and want to keep a good reputation, shoot the guy's hand and you will win (note: may not work with mission-scripted duels).
About a third of the way through the game, you'll be dumped in a new region. Get on the horse provided and ride to the map marker, don't quick travel or get off until you get there.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alris posted:

-If you are challenged to a duel and want to keep a good reputation, shoot the guy's hand and you will win (note: may not work with mission-scripted duels).

I'm pretty sure the duelists you cannot disarm are hatless, if I recall correctly.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Luminaflare posted:

Any tips on Castlevania Lords of Shadow? Especially routes, I just got to the swamp and there are so many branching routes I have no idea where I'm supposed to go (which is where I don't want to go, exploring for secrets :D). Also Marvel vs Capcom 3 should be arriving via post soon so any tips on that would be appreciated as well.

I don't know why the swamp is the first "regular" level because it is not very good and is not representative of the quality of the game as a whole. Tough it out because the game will get much better.

A safe way to fight any monster is to hit once or twice with quick attacks and then dodge its retaliation. It will take a long time to kill anything but you will not take much damage. Useful when you just need to survive a battle.

Don't be afraid to use your dark crystal. It will clear the screen of anything that's not a boss and it doesn't take very long to get back.

The challenges, should you want to do them, can be accomplished on any difficulty.

Make sure to stick around after the credits for one final, bizarre scene.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Dead Rising 1

In addition to the things mentioned in the wiki (which is getting kind of unwieldy and contradicts itself a few times):

- Guns are pretty poo poo in your hands (not including the one that unlocks once you complete Zombie Genocider) due to the game's archaic aiming system. Melee weapons and, later on, your own bare hands are much more effective at clearing out packs of zombies.

- There's a katana (fast, powerful melee) on an awning that you can jump to from the Roastmasters. It will respawn every time you re-enter

- There's one SMG on top of the sign in the Food Court, a second on the overhangs in Paradise Plaza and a second in the fountain in Al Fresca Plaza. Keep these with you to arm female survivors.

- Although there are a ton of weapons available in the game, don't neglect to learn Frank's unarmed repertoire. The Somersault Kick is the best single-target unarmed attack in the game considering how fast it executes, how little recovery time it requires, and how much damage it does. Knowing how to use it makes the true final boss much easier than you'll initially think he is. The Double Lariat is a very efficient way to clear off a pack of zombies. The Knee Drop will allow you to fall from any height without taking damage.

- Weapons do not degrade or spend ammo when a survivor is using them. While most survivors are dumb as a sack of potatoes, a squad of them holding a few shotguns (most healthy young adult or middle age men) or SMGs (most healthy young adult or middle age men or women) can hold a position indefinitely. This is really useful when you don't want them to follow you while you finish off other objectives in the area.

- Disarm your survivors once you reach the rooftop! Take back anything useful (shotguns, SMGs, katanas, unique boss weapons, etc.) by handing that survivor something useless. If you don't have anything, bust open some of the boxes. Once you enter the air duct, anything they're carrying is gone and you'll have to go get new ones.

- A psycho appears in The Hunting Shack starting in the first afternoon. He's a pain the first time you fight him, but keep at it until you win. Once you do you'll have access to a large number of firearms which are useful for passing off to survivors.

- There's an easy way to defeat the psycho at the Wonderland roller coaster that works even if you're just starting the game. First, collect any combination of two shotguns or SMGs. Next, wait outside the entrance to Wonderland Plaza until you get the call informing you about the Japanese tourists. Now enter Wonderland and get the tourists to join your party (if you don't know how: pick up the Basic Japanese phrasebook in the shop you find them in, then talk to them until they join. Take a picture when they bow for large amounts of bonus PP!). Give each of them a gun, then go trigger the roller coaster psycho fight. Place a guard point for the two of them near the base of the stairs to the coaster, then wait near them. When the psycho comes near they'll open fire, causing him to block. With both of them using shotguns or SMGs, they'll keep him locked in his guard animation while slowly chipping away at his health until he dies. (If he breaks away to jump over the balcony, just wait. He's targeting you, so he'll eventually find his way back to the kill zone.) You can't contribute much since you have finite ammo, but it's still funny to watch and trivially easy.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I picked up Drakensang: River of Time on a complete whim, interested in an BG/NWN-esque RPG. I never played the first one, if that makes any difference. I have to say I'm totally lost. The documentation is non-existent and character creation has me baffled, as do the skills, what they do, and which ones are worthwhile. Any pointers are appreciated.

Is the only way to change my character's race to switch the preset? How important is the preset? Is it like a Bioware game where the class defines your playstyle or more like an Elder Scrolls game where you just pick one and do what you want with it. Should I pick a weapon type and stick with it or is it okay to spread my skills around?

Also, as an Oregon resident, I can say when I look at a so-called 'Great' River, I expect it to be wider than the Columbia, not narrower than the Willamette :colbert:

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 13, 2011

Socialist Comrade
Jan 25, 2007

would you kindly?

flatluigi posted:

What should I know before I play Dead Rising 1?

- Some weapons, such as the bowling ball and the free weight, can do critical hits. You'd probably never notice this fighting zombies since they instant kill them regardless, but you should know to never use these two weapons around survivors. It's just a really bad idea!

- There is no good (or best?) way to get rid of the convicts, so you'll just have to develop a Method. At low levels you might be better off just skirting around the edges of the park and hoping they don't see you.

- The wiki is right and Kent is awful, in order to complete his scoop you have to preform this incredibly pervosexual request that is by far the worst loving thing in the entire game.

- And that thing about either using waypoints or spamming the follow button is the only reliable way to save anyone.

Good luck and have fun, take a lot of pictures!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Socialist Comrade posted:

- There is no good (or best?) way to get rid of the convicts, so you'll just have to develop a Method. At low levels you might be better off just skirting around the edges of the park and hoping they don't see you.

A good way to avoid them I find is to weave between the trees, their pathfinding shits itself and they run into trees a lot.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Khurath posted:

In addition to the things mentioned in the wiki (which is getting kind of unwieldy and contradicts itself a few times):

I added your tips to the wiki page (Which makes it even MORE unwieldy!).

If you let me know which tips are wrong or contradictory, then I can take them out to clean it up a bit.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
One more tip for Red Dead Redemption:

There is only one missable achievement/trophy. To get it, you have to use the same horse for 20 story missions in a row. The game does not tell you exactly what to do for this but here it is:

1. Bonnie gives you a horse in your first mission with her, and then another one a few missions later. This does not count against your "same horse" total since you can't turn her down.
2. Never hitch your horse. Always press Up on the D Pad to whistle and make it come to you.
3. If your horse dies, reload your last save. Don't bother going cougar hunting or doing anything else particularly dangerous until after this is over. Don't ride your horse into a gang hideout because there's a good chance it will get shot and killed, plus you are much more vulnerable while on it.

If you follow these steps you'll unlock the trophy right at the end of the New Austin segment.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Anything for Patrician IV?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Oh, poo poo, you reminded me of something I wanted to ask specifically:

flatluigi posted:

Do any of these games have things that'd be missable for achievements or the like? I'm a big completionist so I'd prefer to know about any pitfalls ahead of time.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

flatluigi posted:

Do any of these games have things that'd be missable for achievements or the like? I'm a big completionist so I'd prefer to know about any pitfalls ahead of time.

If you have the DLC for Assassin's Creed 2 there are absolutely no missables. Everything is doable after the main story is over.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

flatluigi posted:

There's nothing missable in Bayonetta, you can replay completed levels on any difficulty as many times as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
Any tips for Brutal Legend (360)?