Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Unamuno posted:

Welp, done with law school. 3 years and $120k later, I'm back to being a pro poker player. At least I don't have debts.

Boom, outta here.

Jesus, how many of you guys are there in law school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

prussian advisor posted:

Jesus, how many of you guys are there in law school?

There were more than a few at my school with some even winning high value tournaments. Honestly law school is the best place to start a pro poker career. Loans and scholarships subsidize your living expenses while you play poker during class. That's a lot of hours to grind those tables online.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
I recently saw one of those "True Life" shows from a couple years ago on Mtv about gambling addiction, and one of the guys on there was applying to law school. My first thought was, "I wonder which lawgoon this is." Then I found out he got accepted to some lovely California school, and that thought quickly faded.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

J Miracle posted:

Welp I'm graduating tomorrow from a TTT. No job. Here's some of the things I did in case anybody was thinking "well if I go to a TTT I can just do REALLY well and still get a job."

--summa cum laude
--Class Rank 1 for all semesters except 1 (got ranked 2 for one of those, I think final rank will still be one);
--received multiple book awards;
--Won a national writing contest and had an article published in a national journal, past winners were usually from HLS;
--Law Review;
--"King Scholar"--like Order of the Coif and stuff like that, my schools version of an elite scholarship;
--worked a paid job for 2L summer and through all of 3L year;
--externed for Court of Appeals my first summer;
--TA'd for 3 different professors;
--Did an appellate clinic, received an A and was invited to TA it the following semester;
--Did a Moot Court Comp at Harvard;
--Had an SBA position.

Seriously don't go to law school and if you do go to a TTT and you have the opportunity to transfer, don't get scared off by the massively increased debt and your cushy class rank and LR position at your existing school.
If this is true and you're really at a TTT (not 4th tier, not non-ABA), you're doing something wrong if you can't get a job with at least a local firm.
Where the hell do you live?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

gvibes posted:

Jesus dude. Are Federal district court clerkships out of the question?

Applied to over 100 federal judges--zero interviews.

There are a few magistrates and others that opened up after the initial crush of apps that are still open so I've got a faint glimmer of hope.

Tried all the state Supremes, no dice, a lot of them kept their old clerks instead of hiring new because of the lovely job market. Court of Appeals Research Division turned me down for god knows why and that was the path to all appellate clerkships in the state.

I've applied to various places out of state including Alaska but haven't heard anything yet.

Also contacted every mid and big firm in Michigan and several in other areas, I'm about to start hitting the smaller places (that haven't posted, any ones with posted opens I've already hit). Also applied for non-legal state government jobs, jobs with the AG, etc.

Got cut from PMF too.

I'm not saying what happened to me will definitely happen to anyone else, but all I'm saying is even at the top of a TTT the margin is THIN, I mean maybe a couple interviews don't go that well and welp here we are

EDIT: I'm not at Cooley

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I will say that as a student AT a TTT; I just struggle to understand the mindset behind going to one if you don't have a job already lined up through some kind of nepotism.

I thought I was a special snowflake; turns out I WAS, that's what I'm saying even being a special snowflake is not necessarily enough.

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

Green Crayons posted:

Journal competition was a time sink and tedious, but definitely not the Most Miserable Thing Ever.

That said, I'm glad I (heavily) front loaded my work as opposed to the folks who took the weekend off and are now burdened with the albatross of finishing it before the deadline. Right about now I just don't give any more fucks and can't imagine having to still do law school a week after exams are over. Waking up at 11 and having a beverage by noon makes this Thursday the best Thursday.

I felt bad for the people who were traveling right after their last final. I remember at the writing competition info session(s) they told us that we wouldn't need all of the time that they gave us to do the competition... I guess strictly speaking we didn't need all the time they gave us, but there wasn't very much slack at all. Spending a day flying/driving somewhere and another day unpacking and getting settled would've made it a good bit more stressful.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I moved and started my summer job two days after I finished finals. I started working on the writing competition thing at night, but quickly said gently caress that.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
j miracle jesus christ

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Petey posted:

j miracle jesus christ

Thinking of registering nojobsdiealone.com and just making it a clearinghouse for stories like this and hookars and linguica and the OP

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petey posted:

Thinking of registering nojobsdiealone.com and just making it a clearinghouse for stories like this and hookars and linguica and the OP

L L S M . O R G

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I'm married so I will not die alone but will probably die by murder-suicide

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

J Miracle posted:

I'm married so I will not die alone but will probably die by murder-suicide

Not to torment you anymore (I'm not in the legal field and your story made me sad for humanity), but can you post what school you went to or at least its approximate ranking according to the bastion of hard hitting school fact finding US News?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Michigan State University, currently ranked 95 on a move up from last year that technically puts it into the second tier, but really why split hairs at this point?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

J Miracle posted:

Welp I'm graduating tomorrow from a TTT. No job. Here's some of the things I did in case anybody was thinking "well if I go to a TTT I can just do REALLY well and still get a job."

--summa cum laude
--Class Rank 1 for all semesters except 1 (got ranked 2 for one of those, I think final rank will still be one);
--received multiple book awards;
--Won a national writing contest and had an article published in a national journal, past winners were usually from HLS;
--Law Review;
--"King Scholar"--like Order of the Coif and stuff like that, my schools version of an elite scholarship;
--worked a paid job for 2L summer and through all of 3L year;
--externed for Court of Appeals my first summer;
--TA'd for 3 different professors;
--Did an appellate clinic, received an A and was invited to TA it the following semester;
--Did a Moot Court Comp at Harvard;
--Had an SBA position.

Seriously don't go to law school and if you do go to a TTT and you have the opportunity to transfer, don't get scared off by the massively increased debt and your cushy class rank and LR position at your existing school.

What have you done to locate job openings in your market? Have you attended bar events, had any informational interviews, volunteered with pro bono organizations, worked your professors for their contacts, etc? I believe that there must be a law firm in your state that would be happy to have you. What work have you done to locate a job besides look at job boards?

edit: I am NOT trying to play "blame the victim" here, I am just trying to flesh out the facts. If you haven't done those things, get on it! If you have, and still no luck, I am so sorry that is awful :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

J Miracle posted:

Michigan State University, currently ranked 95 on a move up from last year that technically puts it into the second tier, but really why split hairs at this point?
Ok, you're probably going to need to leave Michigan. With a crap legal market, a crap job market, and Michigan just up the road in Ann Arbor you may be screwed. Check IL, IN, and OH. Maybe WI

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC

gvibes posted:

Jesus dude. Are Federal district court clerkships out of the question?

Competition for these has gone through the roof.
I externed for two years with a federal judge for free while passing the bar/supporting myself, filling in when a clerk of his had some kidney thing happen to he/she/it and staying on afterwards to clean up the load before senior status kicked in for the Judge.

During my time there he received over 1,000 applications from people qualified for the position when it opened up and before. The clerk he took? Already worked at a big law firm for a year, did not need the clerkship to help get hired. I almost cried when he made the decision, because I felt like I would never get a job ever with competition the way it is. (not even considering a clerkship). I love the clerk, it's just that the people applying are CRAZY qualified from the top schools and firms.

This reads like hell, but it's stream of thought, I'm in the middle of a complaint, sorry.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Penguins Like Pies posted:

It was kind of a joke since I'm in the process of applying for articles right now and it's mostly the "big" firms that have posted aka the people who are able to figure out their budgets a year ahead of time or who care to participate in this process.

The market really isn't bad in Alberta. Or rather, it seems much better than the market in Ontario. Most people who're looking for an article get an article. Everyone wants to get one during articling week so they can cruise through 3L but smaller firms don't usually hire until the school year. Some of my friends are applying to 20 places. I'm looking at maybe 10.

I do hear small towns is where there money's at since many of those practices are being run by retiring lawyers who are looking for someone to take over.

No joke. If you can stomach living in Lloydminster, or Cold Lake, or Medicine Hat, you can earn 100K+ a year for doing gently caress all but playing golf and doing bullshit transactional, real estate, and family law poo poo as a solo jack of all trades practitioner. I know several guys my age that finished a couple years above me and have fallen into that niche and already have a house and a boat.

I'd shoot myself in the dick before working in small town Alberta but hey if you've got your JD that's the kind of choices that you gotta make so

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

J Miracle posted:

Not to poo poo on the downtrodden, but a lot of attorneys know the whole 'used to be Detroit School of Law and moved up a tier just because of the name change' thing.

But to boost you a bit, our office did hire an MSU grad last year.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I have never actually met a lawyer who graduated from DCL. I've met like a dozen who graduated from Wayne State. No idea why.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

entris posted:

What have you done to locate job openings in your market? Have you attended bar events, had any informational interviews, volunteered with pro bono organizations, worked your professors for their contacts, etc? I believe that there must be a law firm in your state that would be happy to have you. What work have you done to locate a job besides look at job boards?

edit: I am NOT trying to play "blame the victim" here, I am just trying to flesh out the facts. If you haven't done those things, get on it! If you have, and still no luck, I am so sorry that is awful :(

While still being in school I have done the best I can to network and pick the brains of the lawyers I meet, and have informational interviewed a few of them, I volunteered with the Ingham County Bar Association and helped them set up events for people in the community, I've attended bar association events, and had professors recommend me from everything to their old firm to the FDA (published a food & drug law paper in the national f&d journal so I figured it was worth a shot).

I also literally apply for positions daily. I think I'll get something eventually, but a lot of places are just not that interested in hiring someone pre-bar-pass right now it seems.

It's disheartening but it could be worse, I mean at least I GET interviews sometimes. There are people at my school with 3.5s, book awards, on journals, etc that haven't had an interview since interviewing for externships 1L year.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

J Miracle posted:

I have a friend that's going to MSU next year. Any advice for him!

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

JudicialRestraints posted:

I have a friend that's going to MSU next year. Any advice for him!

Seriously my advice is don't go. Even if you have a full ride, unless you have living situation support from parents and friends. Even borrowing money for living expenses is too much to spend on MSU.

If he goes, try to do a federal externship that's the biggest regret I have not doing, they usually have some federal judges from grand rapids that hire externs, commuting sucks and you can't work anywhere but it's probably pretty valuable experience.

Also take McKeague's fed jur class and suck up to him hard.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Direwolf posted:

I am a 1L (now 2L I guess, jesus that's fast) at Northwestern and I enjoy the company of all of my sectionmates and most of my classmates and I get kind of crappy grades and I really like law school and I am happy with my summer job and I am excited to be a lawyer

Any recommendations about where I should live? SAM has been telling me to just do McClurg. So I'm leaning toward getting a studio there.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

evilweasel posted:

L L S M . O R G

I mean that's what this thread is now except less marxoteen and more tacos.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Anyone know how to use "nunc pro tunc" in a motion/order title? Is it order nunc or nunc pro tunc order?

The issue is that I'm attempting to invoke my state's version of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure Rule 36 regarding clerical errors.

Basically the problem is that, after a probation revocation proceeding, a judgment and sentence signed by the judge removed a statutory deferred prosecution probation and instated normal probation under the same terms. The problem itself is simply one sentence in the J&S that was not supposed to be there.

I need to have the J&S say that the deferral is still in place. However, I actually need the deferred proceedings to be still in place, and the plea of guilty (that was entered pursuant to the deferral being removed) to be withdrawn.

Would a nunc pro tunc motion (or motion invoking Rule 36) accomplish all this or will I need to file further motions withdrawing the guilty plea and reinstating the deferral?

If I wrote gibberish, just let me know.

Edit: In open court the deferral was left in place, it's just that the written order is in error.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 13, 2011

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MoFauxHawk posted:

Any recommendations about where I should live? SAM has been telling me to just do McClurg. So I'm leaning toward getting a studio there.

If you can afford McClurg go for it, it's a super super nice building and a ton of law students live there, and it's right next to the school. I live farther away mainly due to the expense, though, and there are a ton of residential options available - your Upass means that you can pretty much live anywhere, including Evanston if you really want to. Just keep in mind that studios at McClurg can cost up to 3x what living in Lincoln Park costs, but the amenities + location there is pretty much the best you can get.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Torpor posted:

Anyone know how to use "nunc pro tunc" in a motion/order? Is it order nunc or nunc pro tunc order?

The issue is that I'm attempting to invoke my state's version of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure Rule 36 regarding clerical errors.

Basically the problem is that, after a probation revocation proceeding, a judgment and sentence signed by the judge removed a statutory deferred prosecution probation and instated normal probation under the same terms. The problem itself is simply one sentence in the J&S that was not supposed to be there.

I need to have the J&S say that the deferral is still in place. However, I actually need the deferred proceedings to be still in place, and the plea of guilty (that was entered pursuant to the deferral being removed) to be withdrawn.

Would a nunc pro tunc motion (or motion invoking Rule 36) accomplish all this or will I need to file further motions withdrawing the guilty plea and reinstating the deferral?

If I wrote gibberish, just let me know.

Edit: In open court the deferral was left in place, it's just that the written order is in error.

Stip and order to correct the J & S? If the prosecutor agrees it was a legit typo he can just counter-sign an order and the judge can order it corrected, just do a stip, order, and corrected J&S and turn it all in. If you have the transcript that shows the mistake it should be possible unless the other side is a bunch of dicks.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

J Miracle posted:

Stip and order to correct the J & S? If the prosecutor agrees it was a legit typo he can just counter-sign an order and the judge can order it corrected, just do a stip, order, and corrected J&S and turn it all in. If you have the transcript that shows the mistake it should be possible unless the other side is a bunch of dicks.

Yeah, other side said it was probably a mistake, but is going to check the record also just to be safe. Your solution looks elegant, but I'd like to fit "nunc pro tunc" into a motion somehow if it is actually applicable it'll make the fact that I'm wasting my life trying to practice law a little more tolerable.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 13, 2011

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

gvibes posted:

I have never actually met a lawyer who graduated from DCL. I've met like a dozen who graduated from Wayne State. No idea why.

My judge graduated from DCL. He gets sort of tight-lipped when the "MSU College of Law" comes up, because apparently the alumni were told they'd retain the DCL name.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Torpor posted:

Anyone know how to use "nunc pro tunc" in a motion/order title? Is it order nunc or nunc pro tunc order?

I've seen both "nunc pro tunc order" and "order nunc pro tunc."

Immediate Googling turns up both.

My copy of Black's uses it as "nunc pro tunc order."

mutism
Feb 17, 2011

Lancelot posted:

Which firm?
MERW. Very happy!

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Alaemon posted:

My judge graduated from DCL. He gets sort of tight-lipped when the "MSU College of Law" comes up, because apparently the alumni were told they'd retain the DCL name.

They did for a couple of years, I think. They're better off as being MSU College of Law, honestly. Being associated with a Big Ten school is almost certainly better than being DCL.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

MaximumBob posted:

They did for a couple of years, I think. They're better off as being MSU College of Law, honestly. Being associated with a Big Ten school is almost certainly better than being DCL.

It hasn't really helped us

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

hypocrite lecteur posted:

"Big" firm is relative in Edmonton. It's true the market isn't bad in Alberta though from what I've heard

Hey, we have like 80 lawyers :mad:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alaemon posted:

I've seen both "nunc pro tunc order" and "order nunc pro tunc."

Immediate Googling turns up both.

My copy of Black's uses it as "nunc pro tunc order."

nunc pro oval office

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Criminal Procedure is like the Melian Dialogue of law: the cops do what they will and the brown do what they must.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Rejected yet again :smith:

Third time in recent months it was down to two candidates and they went with the other guy.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I graduated bottom of my class from MSU in 2007. I now do non-legal governmental work in Nebraska. Even the top of my class were hanging out their own shingles. No (legal) jobs, die alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC
Working in a small firm is EXCRUCIATING at times. Why? You get the added knowledge of things like why something is an emergency.
Eg.:

Got a file sent from a big client on Thursday. My plate is always full. Always. My boss is out of town. I read him the correspondence. EXPEDITE is written all over it. Maybe 4 times.

me last night: Do you want me to do anything for this? I can do the review while I am the hearing tomorrow.
Him: NO
Me: are you sure?
Him: gets angry at me for questioning him.

Today We get a call from the client, and the secretary forwards him the notice of the call.
I receive an IMMEDIATE call from him telling me to go nuts working on this thing. It's 9:45.
I take the train downtown. There's a train wreck today. trains are cancelled as I walk into the train station.
I cab it to the blue line and get the secretary/assistant/whathaveyou to come pick me up. She gets lost for an hour. FML Friday the 13th, UGH.

I wish I wasn't involved in intake of any documents or was insulated from them so I wouldn't be all ragey because I could've been doing this work for HOURS before and have to cram it into 2 hours.