Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
poly styrene died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yes she did :( R.I.P my favorite punk rock lady :(

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Usually going home for the summer ruins music for me, but in the next two months I'll get to see Bane, Algernon Cadwallader, Snowing, Title Fight, Cold World, The Menzingers, Touche Amore, and War Hungry.

Let's hope this keeps up.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Usually going home for the summer ruins music for me, but in the next two months I'll get to see Bane, Algernon Cadwallader, Snowing, Title Fight, Cold World, The Menzingers, Touche Amore, and War Hungry.

Let's hope this keeps up.

Sounds like you're going to one of the shows from the Title Fight/Touche Amore/Menzingers tour that I am. I am excited as gently caress.
Also, are Coliseum worth seeing live? The only song I've really heard by them is the Bullet cover on their split with Superchunk. They're being supported by Gods and Queens, Ancient Shores and War on Women, if anyone knows those bands.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Can anyone recommend bands who have a similar vocal style as Hirsch from Blacklisted?

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

Parachute Underwear posted:

Can anyone recommend bands who have a similar vocal style as Hirsch from Blacklisted?

Side note: Can anyone tell me why the gently caress he is ALWAYS wearing longsleeves?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
According to Insubordination Records, tickets for Insub Fest go on sale May 27th at missiontix.com. There's only 450 of them, so if you're interested in going I'd say buy them the day they release.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Fest tickets are on sale. That lineup... mother of God.

Also got two awesome phone calls today. I'll be opening up for THE QUEERS / DEAR LANDLORD show at the Asbury Lanes next Saturday and RVIVR at the end of the month. Best day for booking!

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Anyone else check out the new William Bonney EP? If not, go do that, it's free.

http://willbonney.tumblr.com/

e- Free, and loving good*.

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010
^its goooood.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I'm seeing Youth of Today tomorrow in Madrid, does anyone know if the openers are any good? Rest in Hate, and Another Kind of Death

The band names leave something to be desired.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After a few years I want to get back into punk music. I lost most of my CDs and MP3s over the years and need some names of good bands. I already have Dead Kennedys and a bunch of Jello's stuff with other bands, old AFI, Cancerslug, Dropkick Murphys, The Clash, and Sex Pistols.

I liked mostly older 80's era punk and hardcore with a preference for british bands.

I would be forever in you guy's debt for this.

cabral
Sep 9, 2009

GodlessCommie posted:

After a few years I want to get back into punk music. I lost most of my CDs and MP3s over the years and need some names of good bands. I already have Dead Kennedys and a bunch of Jello's stuff with other bands, old AFI, Cancerslug, Dropkick Murphys, The Clash, and Sex Pistols.

I liked mostly older 80's era punk and hardcore with a preference for british bands.

British:
Adicts
Cock Sparrer
Anti-Nowhere League
Cockney Rejects
Sham 69
Stiff Little Fingers

Non-british:
Ramones
Agent Orange
NOFX
Bad Religion
Casualties
Down by Law
Rancid
Misfits
Social Distortion
Pennywise
Swingin' Utters

I think it's a good start. :rock:

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
I guess you could also add some of the quintessential hardcore bands to that (although you've probably heard them) ie Minor Thread, Bad Brains, Black Flag. I'd also add Husker Du and the Minutemen, and if you listen to the Misfits, I'd stay away from anything they recorded after their first break up. Mostly because it's not very good.

Also, I only got into punk in the last year or so, and I can tell you from experience that it's a loving awesome genre to explore.

e: and The Descendants and The Ergs! and Fugazi (who are closer to post hardcore but still necessary, I think) and Refused. Holy poo poo there are a poo poo ton of good punk bands.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 5, 2011

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Why did this have to happen at GROEZROCK and not somewhere in the USA where I might have had the opportunity to see it?

Belgian goon here. What am I looking at exactly? I've never gone to Groez considering the price and the fact mostly 13-16 year old Bring Me The Horizon kids gather there en masse.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

To my knowledge, it's the first time Mike McColgan has been with Dropkick Murphys on stage since he left many years ago. I'm a big fan of Mike's work in Street Dogs, and have been a DKM fan forever, so the fact I wasn't able to see Mike sing with his old band made me mad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I imagine it's like when I saw DEP and they brought Dimitri on for a song.

ALso, hosed Up has posted 4 tracks from the new album on their site, along with a rough outline of the album's story and it all looks loving awesome.

Zentrenched
Jun 7, 2005

It's all noise to me.
http://programmedfromchildhood.blogspot.com/2011/04/teenage-bottlerocket-ruin-emilys-open.html

Little late but I wanted to mention this because it was awesome. Went to see Descendents/Teenage Bottlerocket in London last week, Descendents cancel a few hours before the show starts and Bottlerocket quickly organise a new show - at an open mic night in some tiny pub halfway across London.

Utterly brilliant show, and really nice guys to boot.

RagingPawn
Nov 29, 2007
So next weekend its

http://crashdoubtfest.blogspot.com/p/line-up.html

which is a pretty big for the city I live in. Stoked.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

GodlessCommie posted:

Some other heavy sounding bands worth checking out:

Kid Dynamite
Bigwig
The Pavers
Propaghandi (some of their song have annoying preachy lyrics but I love their sound)
Anti-Flag
All

And some punk bands that aren't necessarily heavy but are still awesome

Street Dogs
Flogging Molly
Smoking Popes
Less Than Jake (ska/punk but more punk focused)
Goldfinger (also some ska stuff, ignore their last two PETA tribute albums)

Some of these bands aren't for everyone, but you never know what you'll like. lovely 90's ska/punk is still one of my guilty pleasures.

Off topic just got back from seeing Bad Religion open for Rise Against. So wrong.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Don't forget Hot Water Music. The answer is always Hot Water Music.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h2lpowbCsM

I'm not edge but gently caress it Carry On is AWESOME.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zentrenched posted:

http://programmedfromchildhood.blogspot.com/2011/04/teenage-bottlerocket-ruin-emilys-open.html

Little late but I wanted to mention this because it was awesome. Went to see Descendents/Teenage Bottlerocket in London last week, Descendents cancel a few hours before the show starts and Bottlerocket quickly organise a new show - at an open mic night in some tiny pub halfway across London.

Utterly brilliant show, and really nice guys to boot.

Seriously, those dudes rule. I'd see them play in a 7/11 parking lot given the opportunity.

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all
I'm stoked to see that CT is getting a few good shows in the next few weeks. La Dispute is coming by, DBD is on and Lemuria for the 2nd time in two months.

I'm a bit lit right now, but I'm feeling the new Balance and Composure as one of my favorite albums so far this year. I'll have to listen to it a few more times to confirm....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Parachute Underwear posted:

The answer is always Hot Water Music.

Can't even put into words how much I back this.

Lipton Iced Tea
Mar 15, 2011

track 03
Seeing the Menzingers in 13 days, which is something I've wanted to do since the first time I heard Alpha Kappa Fall Off A Balcony in like 2008. In fact now that I've seen Mikey Erg they might be the currently active band I most want to see.

Also does Against Me! play stuff from RAR/ATEC live any more or is it all new poo poo?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/against-me/2011/whiskey-republic-providence-ri-33d27015.html
is a recent Against Me! set.

Lipton Iced Tea
Mar 15, 2011

track 03

That actually looks okay.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

heeebrew posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h2lpowbCsM

I'm not edge but gently caress it Carry On is AWESOME.

I definitely miss this band, still listen to them regularly.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Where do I start with Hot Water Music?

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Eight Is Legend posted:

Where do I start with Hot Water Music?

No Division.

Saddr Weirdr
Feb 20, 2011

Are you ready for the
SUMMER?

NeilPerry posted:

I've never gone to Groez considering the price and the fact mostly 13-16 year old Bring Me The Horizon kids gather there en masse.

Most "emocore" bands were playing on Friday, I went on Saturday and haven't noticed the abundance of people you describe. Mostly just normal crowd you'd expect to see at a punk concert. I was actually surprised how much people were into stuff like Dear Landlord or No Trigger, the bands which I assumed to be relatively unknown.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Angiepants posted:

No Division.

100% correct.

I went through those bands that were listed earlier in the thread, wasn't too keen on most of them, a few stood out though. Nocao de Nada are great, O Pioneers!!! is rockin I cannot believe that I hadn't listened to Leatherface before, the dudes voice is ridiculous. Does the dude from Greenday sing for Pinhead Gunpowder or something? Either case, they didn't really appeal to me.

PS. I didn't enjoy Face To Face, does that mean I have to fight someone or something? I am big, but I am not really violent in the slightest so that would suck.

I have also been enjoying RVIVR. I am always a bit put off because one of my housemates is constantly watching their videos, and the band looks like my dad and some bogan mates of his and some sheila from down the pub decided to give punk rock a go.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Had my Balance and Composure pre-order download for a few days now, it's ridiculous. Can't wait to get my vinyl in the mail.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Big Willy Style posted:

I have also been enjoying RVIVR.

I've been listening to RVIVR and Shorebirds a loving ton lately. Awesome bands.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
My band Southside Stranglers is heading out starting tommorow. Come check out the show if we are in your town:

THURS 5/12 – DC (Silver Spring, MD) @ The Corpse Fortress (906 Philadelphia Ave.) w/ Walk The Plank, Dead & Dreaming, + TBA // 7pm $5
FRI 5/13 – Columbus, OH @ The White House (2481 Adams Ave.) w/ Ropes, Rocks At Cops, Hardtime // 8PM sharp $5
SAT 5/14 – [HORRIBLE FEST!!!]Cleveland, OH @ Mahall’s Lanes (13200 Madison Ave.) w/ Ropes, Cola Freaks, Folded Shirt, Holy poo poo, Bad Noids, Brain Car // 2PM matinee $10 includes unlimited bowling, pool, and darts
SUN 5/15 – Indianapolis, IN @ The Dojo (2207 N College Ave.) w/ Parasitic Twins, Picked Clean // 7PM $6
MON 5/16 – Chicago, IL @ Dunk Tank (2323 N Albany Ave.) w/ Raw Nerve, Boilerman, Panzram, Escalator // 7PM $6
TUES 5/17 – St. Louis, MO @ Cranky Yellow (2847 Cherokee St.) w/ Shaved Women, Panzram, Escalator, Yeung // 8PM $5
WED 5/18 – Nashville, TN @ The Other Basement (1804 14th Ave. S) w/ Cannomen, Syrian Nukes Over Disneyland // 8PM sharp
THURS 5/19 – Charlottesville, VA @ Magnolia (507 10th St. NW) w/ The 40 Boys, Slugz, Wicked Eyes // 7PM $5 suggested donation

For anyone in Richmond, VA or surrounding areas we are playing in town on 6/20 with The Spits and if you don't come to that you are absolutely insane.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Insubordination Fest 2011 lineup:

Army Coach (Ex. Team Stray)
Be My Doppelganger
Beatnik Termites
Chixdiggit
Connie Dungs
Danny Vapid and the Cheats (Vapid's all-star jam playing his songs wrtten for the Mopes, Methadones, Screeching Weasel, and the Riverdales)
Dear Landlord
Direct Hit
Dopamines
Emily's Army
Fatal Flaw (Joel Reader formerly of MTX, Pansy Division, and the Plus Ones totally killer Pop)
Firecrackers
House Boat
Iron Chic
Jetty Boys
Karmellas Game
Kepi Ghoulie (Electric)
Kurt Baker (Power-pop mad man formerly of the Leftovers)
Marshmallows
Max Levine Ensemble
Mikey Erg
Mixtapes
Murderburgers
New Creases
Potatomen
Quarantines
Sun Puddles
Young Hasselhoffs

Mikey Erg count: at least three.

ninja edit: more bands to be added before the fest

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all
Somehow I had never heard Rvivr and I had really liked Latterman and now love the Shorebirds/Iron Chic and like Daytrader. haven't had a chance to give the other 10 bands a go since they split up.

I listened to a few Youtube recordings and I'll be picking some of this stuff up.

Also new Balance and Composure is sick; they're such a great band....everyone should check them out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who's the lineup on Vapid and the Cheats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dickeye posted:

Who's the lineup on Vapid and the Cheats?

Didn't say, and I can't find it anywhere. Also The Copyrights and Barecat just got added.