Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

if you do manage to complete everything, buttfuck the von luckner

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

AtomikKrab posted:

if you do manage to complete everything, buttfuck the von luckner

Do you really even need to? Sure, it's probably gonna be worth a lot towards your property damage goal, but it's slow and everyone left has jumpjets. You guys could probably just run circles around the drat thing playing keep away and it won't be able to do a thing about it or bring its heavy guns into play...

EDIT: Read your post wrong. Yeah, once all your objectives are complete, I guess you guys could go after the house sized moving mass of gently caress YOU if you felt like it. I dunno though, why take out an experienced Home Guard tank crew just for doing his job when don't need to and you guys are ostensibly Lyran patriots? It'd probably be better to just let him alone so he can be turned on actual enemies of the Commonwealth the next time they attack Tharkad...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 12, 2011

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

GhostStalker posted:

DO you really even need to? Sure, it's probably gonna be worth a lot towards your property damage goal, but it's slow and everyone left has jumpjets. You guys could probably just run circles around the drat thing playing keep away and it won't be able to do a thing about it or bring its heavy guns into play...

I'm not sure you CAN. That thing, besides having a gun you don't want to get within 9 hexes of, also has SLABS of armor. Even the refinery going up may not be enough to take it out. Hell, a LOCUST survived the Commando's detonation and it wasn't nearly as tough as a Von Luckner.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The problem with tanks is the inability to flank a turret. It can, unless I'm mistaken, "torso twist" the turret to fire at anything nearby. The best bet is to pepper it with LRMs while out-of-range and hope to disable it on a couple lucky crits.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Plus, the Valkyrie is the only 'Mech that can chip away at the Von Luckner with any amount of safety, and it'd have to expend most of its ammo to do so. Everyone else would have to dip into long range where a single lucky hit could spell disaster. The Von Luckner is my favorite tank of the era--it's not the best, but as an anvil and/or area denial weapon, it excels.

In all honesty, you should probably be more worried about the Griffin.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Even if it isn't, it's just a game of grabass out in the snow. It'll be rendered moot when the Clans break through ComStar's scattered resistance and enslave them all anyway. =P

Taking Terra is the end of the Clans. When they jump in, there's a fleet of 50 warships and a SDS waiting for them, and aerofighters with nukes, and when they make planetfall? 144 regiments waiting. With the Wolverine survivors whispering in the Primus' ear they'd rather see the whole system burn than lose it to the Clans.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Zaodai posted:

Even if it isn't, it's just a game of grabass out in the snow. It'll be rendered moot when the Clans break through ComStar's scattered resistance and enslave them all anyway. =P

You mean liberate them from the corrupt yolk of the Scavenger Lords, quiaff? :colbert:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, that Griffin is pretty scary... Since it has jumpjets, a pretty good long range punch, and that great pilot, you won't be able to run from the guy for long and any decent hit from it will probably do some pretty massive damage to any of your machines.

The only good thing I guess is that you'll be able to see where he's moving before you make your moves... Try playing keep away for a bit while racking up property damage totals?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bad Moon posted:

You mean liberate them from the corrupt yolk of the Scavenger Lords, quiaff? :colbert:

Even the Clans (the crusader clans, anyway) see it as enslavement. My overall point was, however, that some people might be taking this fight a little too seriously (in that you shouldn't be calling spectators idiots for rooting for explosions) when in the long run we're playing in the snow instead of fighting a war against a bunch of invaders from the rear end end of the galaxy with superior tech.

Consider the mission an exhibition match and have some fun. By all means play to win and don't suicide by action-movie-jumping out of an exploding refinery. But don't hate on people for thinking it would be awesome to see.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Zaodai posted:

Even the Clans (the crusader clans, anyway) see it as enslavement. My overall point was, however, that some people might be taking this fight a little too seriously (in that you shouldn't be calling spectators idiots for rooting for explosions) when in the long run we're playing in the snow instead of fighting a war against a bunch of invaders from the rear end end of the galaxy with superior tech.

Consider the mission an exhibition match and have some fun. By all means play to win and don't suicide by action-movie-jumping out of an exploding refinery. But don't hate on people for thinking it would be awesome to see.

It is all fun and games until a failure or success here sparks a vicious Steiner Civil War that completely removes one entire Successor State's ability to coordinate a defense against the Clans, giving the Steel Vipers (:patriot:) and the Widowmakers an open door to push on. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I think we can trust PTN's storytelling abilities enough to assume we are not on an unimportant side-mission here. Everything the players do matters.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
You know, if you always win initiative against NPCs, you can stand in the von luckner's hex kicking it all day and it can't shoot you.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

success here will likely mobilize the lyrans against the clans big huge von gently caress off time. lets see your clan tech save you from a horde of angry assault mechs all going :black101: and outnumbering you 3 to 1. Sure... L1 lyrans but that also means nothing short of a torso or head cap is going to stop it.

:black101::black101::black101::black101: get dem clanners

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Banshee-S'es with uparmored legs. YEAH.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh, I wasn't doubting that it would have some affect on the universe. I just assume that due to PTN's writing talent, he doesn't always work in cliches.

Meeting your objectives doesn't always lead to the results you expect, and I suspect that in PTN's grand plan, he has (or will) given the Goon Hivemind the ability to make a choice that will be detrimental to us even if we succeed in the goals for that mission. We could be weakening the Lyran Alliance's ability to fight the Clans right now by raising hell in the middle of their capital city. We (or at least I?) don't know for sure that we're making the right move.

And that's what makes it so great on a large scale.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Man, I would hate to bring 3/5 mechs against clans with anything shorter ranged than LRMs.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

Plus, the Valkyrie is the only 'Mech that can chip away at the Von Luckner with any amount of safety, and it'd have to expend most of its ammo to do so. Everyone else would have to dip into long range where a single lucky hit could spell disaster. The Von Luckner is my favorite tank of the era--it's not the best, but as an anvil and/or area denial weapon, it excels.

Yeah, the Von Luckner and the Manticore combine together to make a drat scary combination in lvl 1 play. I honestly prefer the pre-refit Mantie to the 3058 refit of it. Replacing the PPC with a LPL doesn't make much sense.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Taerkar posted:

Yeah, the Von Luckner and the Manticore combine together to make a drat scary combination in lvl 1 play. I honestly prefer the pre-refit Mantie to the 3058 refit of it. Replacing the PPC with a LPL doesn't make much sense.

Thats why you take the Manticore's baby brother, the Myrmidon in 3060: PPC, SRM6 and 5/8 while still carrying...(hastily checks TRO 3060)... 9 tons of armor and its quite a bit cheaper in tonnage, BV or C-Bills.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

You are thinking to meta. Consider this: mission objective is to achieve as much :black101: as possible. This is in line with spectator objectives, goon objectives, whatever, everyone can get along. We simply wish to maximize :black101: in a scientifically imposed manner.

Namely: walking away from explosions without flinching is cooler than dying in one trying to pull a silly stunt.
Collapsing multistory skyscrapers with your last living action is cool.
And I requested the moment property damage became a goal that y'all destroy the horse you rode in on. I repeat the request.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dominus Caedis posted:

Thats why you take the Manticore's baby brother, the Myrmidon in 3060: PPC, SRM6 and 5/8 while still carrying...(hastily checks TRO 3060)... 9 tons of armor and its quite a bit cheaper in tonnage, BV or C-Bills.

Yeah. the Myrm is a nice pocket Manty, but the original Manticore has a great complementary weapons arrangement. SRM-6, Medium Laser, PPC, and LRM-10. It's got something for all ranges.

Edit:

Just checked, the 3026 -> 3058 changes are:

PPC -> LPL
Med Laser -> SSRM-2
Artemis IV for the SRM-6 and LRM-10
3 points more armor (less tonnage, but FF)

Really if they had left the PPC in it would be a bit more vicious. The SSRM-2 is an interesting swap-off for the medium laser.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

That's a good way to look at it... I wanted to show that playing a light battlemech could be fun (even if I had to fill them with explosives to do it). Especially with those issues poor Dr. Banzai's semi-prototype Wolfhound suffered in the last game.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I think we can trust PTN's storytelling abilities enough to assume we are not on an unimportant side-mission here. Everything the players do matters.

This is true. There's still a big reveal coming that relates to this mission.

Zaodai posted:

Meeting your objectives doesn't always lead to the results you expect, and I suspect that in PTN's grand plan, he has (or will) given the Goon Hivemind the ability to make a choice that will be detrimental to us even if we succeed in the goals for that mission.

A very big reveal.

Taerkar posted:

The Large Pulse Laser (an infighting weapon) fills the same role in Level 2 play as the PPC did in Level 1 (it was also an 'infighting' weapon). The ER PPC graduated into the same category as LRMs and Autocannon 2s (sniping / long range harassment) in Level 2 play.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Remember children
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz5dbs5zmo

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

A very big reveal.

I knew my faith wasn't misplaced. :twisted:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Large Pulse Laser (an infighting weapon) fills the same role in Level 2 play as the PPC did in Level 1 (it was also an 'infighting' weapon). The ER PPC graduated into the same category as LRMs and Autocannon 2s (sniping / long range harassment) in Level 2 play.

Eh, in level 1 play the PPC was pretty much a one-size-fits-all weapon that was useful from short (but not point-blank) range to 'long' range for the time. It was only out-ranged by LRMs (by 3 hexes) or AC-2s (Who cares?) and the minimum range was the sweet spot for SRMs and Medium Lasers.

The LPL has almost half the range and less damage. It's significantly better from 1-3 due to the PPC's minimum range penalty. From 4-6 it's got an equal chance to hit, a better chance at 7, equal from 8-10, then out of range from 11 to 18.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

Eh, in level 1 play the PPC was pretty much a one-size-fits-all weapon

I'm not defending the logic, just explaining it.

The developers considered them to be in the 'same category', it's why a lot of "version IIC" 'Mechs wind up with their PPCs replaced with Large Pulse Lasers as well. Then again, the Clan Large Pulse Laser is a far superior weapon to the Inner Sphere version--there's simply no comparison; but Inner Sphere designers (and by that, I mean the developers) pretty much insisted on using the Inner Sphere version in exactly the same fashion as the Clan version.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fair enough.

IMO the MPL and SPL for the IS are decent weapons (As much as a small laser is decent for anything), but the LPL is terrible.

For those that don't know, the Clan versiTons of the Pulse Lasers have 2x the range of the IS version and for the large and medium versions do 1 more damage as well (Though the IS versions of the Medium and Large do 1 more damage than the standard lasers as well). The Clan LPL is 1 ton smaller as well, but the others are the same size.

Ranges:

Small Standard 1/2/3
Small Pulse 1/2/3
Clan Small Pulse 2/4/6
IS ER Small 2/4/5
Clan ER Small 2/4/6

Medium Standard 3/6/9
Medium Pulse 2/4/6
Clan Medium Pulse 4/8/12
IS ER Medium 4/8/12
Clan ER Medium 5/10/15

Large Standard 5/10/15
Large Pulse 3/7/10
Clan Large Pulse 6/14/20
IS ER Large 7/14/19
Clan ER Large 8/15/25

To put it simply the Clan LPL is bullshit. Absolute bullshit.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

A very big reveal.

:ohdear: Now I want to see the next updates even more than ever... What will become of the Lyran Commonwealth?

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
I don't see a lot of love for the Clan ER Large laser, could anyone explain that?

I skirmished the computer in MegaMek across a river, and the only reason I was doing well at all was the cERLLas slightly out-ranging the shittons of ER PPCs the IS team had while still doing decent concentrated damage. It's not as heat efficient or accurate as the cLPL; entirely true. However, it is smaller and lighter and gives you another 5 hexes of range. Still, I think I prefer something with one concentrated punch for long-range harrassment over the spray of damage from LRMs.

That's also the battle where I learned to love over-sinked mechs that can lay down continuous heavy fire after a Night Gyr kept the enemy at bay and headcapped three mechs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The cLPL is total bullshit. So is their ER PPC, ER ML and LRM20. Those four weapons somehow made every other weapon obsolete.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Don't forget the heavy medium laser.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ugh, don't even get me started on the Heavy weapons.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Taerkar posted:

To put it simply the Clan LPL is bullshit. Absolute bullshit.

I thought that was the point of Clan tech in general. Got something relatively awesome? The Clans get it with half the weight, twice the power, and none of the drawbacks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

I thought that was the point of Clan tech in general. Got something relatively awesome? The Clans get it with half the weight, twice the power, and none of the drawbacks.

And when they beat you with it, you get to be their personal servant and polish it for eternity.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

W.T. Fits posted:

A lot of Clan weapons are better but the most glaring examples are ER Medium Lasers, LPLs, and missile racks. (Though they don't get the awesome insanity of MRMs).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Those Clanner jerks. It's like if you're interested mainly in the Inner Sphere stuff they're practically designed to piss you right off.

Okay, that's it, next mission everyone vote ComGuards. They're still bound to have some juice left in'em, right? They're not dying in droves and on their last legs but for the grace of Goonluck, right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Those Clanner jerks. It's like if you're interested mainly in the Inner Sphere stuff they're practically designed to piss you right off.

Okay, that's it, next mission everyone vote ComGuards. They're still bound to have some juice left in'em, right? They're not dying in droves and on their last legs but for the grace of Goonluck, right?

The Mystery Box says the ComGuards are going to have a very fun time indeed.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

My hope is we go on a mission to kill Myndo Waterly after she completely goes turncoat.

The reality is probably we're given a handful of light mechs and vehicles against an entire galaxy of <REDACTED>

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

ComGuards are most likely going to get curbstomped, aren't they? :ohdear:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

landcollector posted:

ComGuards are most likely going to get curbstomped, aren't they? :ohdear:

I tried to warn you all, but you wouldn't listen to me! :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Man, I am so looking forward to watching the <redacted> jumanji-dunk on the first group of unfortunates that PTN sends their way.

• Locked thread