Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ArtVandelay posted:

Just tried putting it together and he only has about 1500 innings. For this league, you need a good 2000+.

Joe Wood had 1490 and I had the best team in the league last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Joe Wood had 1490 and I had the best team in the league last year

Those were 1490 exceptionally good innings.

My boy Vicente does not have that many exceptionally good innings.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

:fap:

not sure what the actual balance of hitters/pitchers would be, so maybe I don't use all the Madduxes. But that's awesome to look at.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I'll see that and raise you

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

I'll see that and raise you

:swoon:

here's to awesome pitching.

e: I can drop 1988, 1991 and 2002 and that improves the overall numbers a bit (.227 OAV, 0.99 WHIP, 6.80 K/9, 1.42 BB/9, 0.45 HR/9) but still not as good as Walsh and a little less innings, to boot (2,345 total).

nasboat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 12, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

When I was picking and slightly mad about forgetting Maddux when picking Walsh, I completely forgot that Walsh has the absurd 1908 season that nobody ever uses because of price point and number of innings in addition to the absurd 1910 season everyone uses, so now I am more confident in my pick there.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Having never done the theme before, I really like Pedro since his absurd K/9 should cut down on balls in play/errors. Hopefully Stade Olympique/whatever my co-captain brings can help cut down on dingers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

I always wanted to do a league like this, no idea why I never signed up before. I know I'm going to regret Mantle but hey gotta go with my heart in a wacky league like this

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

It's an open park selection, you can go to the Astrodome if you want. I don't really love Pedro for this theme because of the dingers, though the Ks are an interesting point.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

jeffersonlives posted:

the Ks are an interesting point.

Quick, someone grab Nolan Ryan Dazzy Vance!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

gyroball posted:

I always wanted to do a league like this, no idea why I never signed up before. I know I'm going to regret Mantle but hey gotta go with my heart in a wacky league like this

even though it was an impossible pipe dream, I was dying to team Mantle up with Maddux. You will not regret that, I'm sure -- even with the hit to dingers, Mick's too good not to own, surely?

....right? :ohdear:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Quick, someone grab Nolan Ryan Dazzy Vance!

Also blacklisted. If he (or Ryan, or Randy Johnson) were still around, I would have been willing to play chicken with Pedro a little bit longer.

There's a certain co-captain I'm hoping for, but I'm doubting he gets past 11 people.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

There's a certain co-captain I'm hoping for, but I'm doubting he gets past 11 people.

Wouldn't that be like, 27 picks? Eight more people to join who could take your co-captain when they join, then 19 picks on the way down to your round two selection?

or am I just way off about how this draft works

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

nasboat posted:

Wouldn't that be like, 27 picks? Eight more people to join who could take your co-captain when they join, then 19 picks on the way down to your round two selection?

or am I just way off about how this draft works

All the people that already took a pitcher can't take a hitter coming back, the second round is basically two different drafts

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

All the people that already took a pitcher can't take a hitter coming back, the second round is basically two different drafts

oh wait, obviously. forgetting a key detail there.

apologies!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I joined Art, will you pay for my team? :)

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

kensei posted:

I joined Art, will you pay for my team? :)

Nope! Just evilbeard!

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
So i've never played this before, i chekced out the free game and it was pretty ridiculously overwhelming the volume of players that are arounda theme league like this seems like a decent time to start for that reason but also seems like it's weird to start in a super-heavy theme league on my first go, what do you think?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

So i've never played this before, i chekced out the free game and it was pretty ridiculously overwhelming the volume of players that are arounda theme league like this seems like a decent time to start for that reason but also seems like it's weird to start in a super-heavy theme league on my first go, what do you think?

If the two man band league interests you, go for it, but it's mostly a fun/different league so it might not be a great first exposure unless you like bad defense a ton. If you want to wait for a bunch of us to play an open league together, I think there was interest in doing that within the next week or two recently.

We also have an IRC channel for discussion of such things!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Nerokerubina posted:

Well, this 2 man band league is just about the easiest theme league you could possibly partake in. You only pick 2 players and just let the season happen. You really don't have to do any heavy lifting, because no matter what, you're going to have hundreds of passed balls and even more errors. Just reading the box scores for the games are tons of fun.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, I wouldn't make the two man band league your first foray into WIS unless that league just sounds really, really fun to you. The player selection is simpler but it has a very sneaky and pretty large degree of difficulty if you don't know what you're doing.

ArtVandelay posted:

Well, this 2 man band league is just about the easiest theme league you could possibly partake in.

For picking players, yes. For trying to make a decent team when you don't know what you're doing, no.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
just joined 2 man band, was thinking about using @OldHossRadbourn but his seasons weren't actually all that good, other than innings-eating

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

ManifunkDestiny posted:

just joined 2 man band, was thinking about using @OldHossRadbourn but his seasons weren't actually all that good, other than innings-eating

Well I mean his best season was 1884 and the database only goes to 1885

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Can anyone give a logical explanation for why my gimmick team is in first place and tied for the 2nd best record in our OL? Something other than "Kirby Puckett and Addie Joss own?"

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

an unsustainable 10-3 in 1 run games!

I just played a 3 game set in Coors and allowed a total of 4 runs. Range loving owns.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Um, that's clearly sustainable. Don't know what you're on. :colbert:

Regardless, my pythag is still pretty good, and is even better when you adjust for the fact that 26% of my runs have been given up by one guy in throwaway games.

What I am learning from this team, though, is that you really can just build your pitching staff however you like so long as you have enough quality innings. Despite having one dedicated starter, 5 swingmen and four dedicated short relievers, I'm in great shape stamina-wise. I've only had to start Addie on short rest two or three times.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

So, Wally Schang is basically Brandon Inge with a slightly worse arm and better offense for even cheaper. Highly recommended.

(His PH CS% is around 30%, he's catching 27% for me, I think Inge is 34% or so)

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Inge is 36%

Schang averages 54 RC in more games played compared to Inge's 56 so I'm not sure the offense is that much better either.

Inge looks better to me but at their level of production it's not like you're talking a make or break for your team choosing one over the other.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I think your Schang is atypical in offense, even in Coors.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Well yes, but I think that expecting 54 RC from Schang is a bit light. I'd say he could pretty easily outdo Inge.

I'm probably going to continue using Schang over Inge because a) catcher that can steal lol b) under $3m c) gently caress brandon inge.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Here is my like father like son Dixie Walker Sr/Jr team. My hope is that the offense is awesome enough to make up for the underwhelming pitching (except for Walter). I'm also sad that I just had no room for Hank Greenberg unless I played him extremely out of position in 2nd or SS. Also, i'd have to make my pitching staff even worse, and I don't want to do that.

There's no stadium restriction, should I put this in new Yankee stadium?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

We seem to have hit a bit of a wall in the 2 man band. We still need 5 more people :(

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

We seem to have hit a bit of a wall in the 2 man band. We still need 5 more people :(

yeah I'm surprised it went basically all day with no one signing up at all

c'mon, this theme owns

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm tempted to run this in an open league

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

And I really want to do this, but it's too expensive :(

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

We're about to start round 2 of two man band. Be ready when it gets to you.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

hell yes, about time!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm kinda impressed by the guy with two consecutive picks only making one, with that pick being one who was chosen like ten picks ago.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm kinda impressed by the guy with two consecutive picks only making one, with that pick being one who was chosen like ten picks ago.

Yeah, that kinda pissed me off. I bet it's going to take a while to get that last person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ArtVandelay posted:

Well you know who I want so if it gets to me Art feel free to auto pick for me.

• Locked thread