Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have a really good one, I built it last black friday for $750. I'm pretty sure i'll stick to it as well. I'm just so anal about framerates and all that.

Your framerate is going to be better on PC while looking better than it will on your 360/PS3 with any given game. As long as you can stay above 30, who cares? Stop staring at FPS counters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Strategy First are having a sale where you can get five adventure games for just $4.99 by entering the promo code, "SFIADVENTURE" at checkout. Included games are Jack Keane, Ankh 2, Ankh 3, The Abbey, and D.W.A.R.F.S.

Jack Keane is worth the five-spot alone, but has anyone played any of the others?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

habanero walrus posted:

As long as you can stay above 30, who cares? Stop staring at FPS counters.
This. Just don't worry about it. Configure and tweak a little and as long as you don't get any noteworthy or gamebreaking hiccups, just enjoy the game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Also: Downloading a savegame in case you lost one or its an old game.

I can easily find a 100%'d savegame for say GTA:San Andreas without having to replay it myself, just for dicking around.
(I still have my own 100%'d game saved naturally.)

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
This was once upon a time possible for PS3, but then they went down the trophy route and threw this out the window. :(

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Blackula69 posted:

PC GAMES

I'll agree with all of this... in fact I can't remember when I last turned on my 360. My Gold membership has lapsed, I never bothered renewing. At this point the only reason I'm holding on to it is for LA Noire.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Strategy First are having a sale where you can get five adventure games for just $4.99 by entering the promo code, "SFIADVENTURE" at checkout. Included games are Jack Keane, Ankh 2, Ankh 3, The Abbey, and D.W.A.R.F.S.

Jack Keane is worth the five-spot alone, but has anyone played any of the others?

For some reason i couldn't get into Jack Keane... but I'd still be interested in buying the pack if the other games are good. Need some opinions.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
I ve just pulled the trigger on a Dell U3011 and plan to do some gaming at 2560 x 1600. Any goons playing at this resolution? What kind of graphics horse power are you using? I currently have 580 sli 1.5 VRAM, would adding a third card for TRI SLI be beneficial? I also hope to use my old monitor 28" @ 1920 x 1200 as a secondary display, any drawbacks to this?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Manac0r posted:

I ve just pulled the trigger on a Dell U3011 and plan to do some gaming at 2560 x 1600. Any goons playing at this resolution? What kind of graphics horse power are you using? I currently have 580 sli 1.5 VRAM, would adding a third card for TRI SLI be beneficial? I also hope to use my old monitor 28" @ 1920 x 1200 as a secondary display, any drawbacks to this?

Holy poo poo, SLI GTX 580s will get you 30+ FPS on even the most resource-hogging games at 1600p. No you don't need any more hardware.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Manac0r posted:

I'm using a single 580 to power my U3011, and everything runs perfect on it so far. SLI'd 580s is almost overkill even for 2560x1600, and triple SLI is just silly. Sell one of your cards to help offset the $1500 for the monitor. :shobon:

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
I've got an "oldschool" 3007WFP-HC that I absolutely love, but it's running on a GTX 280 :cry:

I was thinking of getting a GTX580, but it still doesn't seem fast enough for 1600p gaming. We have to think about Battlefield 3 here! :science:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Manac0r posted:

I game at 5760x1200 and use the new Radeon 6990. Its been able to handle everything so far so I don't think you'll have to upgrade anything.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Manac0r posted:

Depends on the game. I can run brink, l4d, tf2, portal 2 fine 2560 x 1600 on my gtx 470.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
anyone recall what the two EA games that were on sale last Saturday and Sunday?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Dudebro posted:

anyone recall what the two EA games that were on sale last Saturday and Sunday?

Saturday was Crysis and Crysis Warhead and Sunday was Battlefield and Medal of Honor series.

Not 100% sure though.

vvv Yep, that's it. vvv

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 12, 2011

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cardboard Fox posted:

Saturday was Crysis and Crysis Warhead and Sunday was Battlefield and Medal of Honor series.

Not 100% sure though.

It was Dead Space 1& 2 on Saturday and Battlefield/Medal of Honor games on Sunday. Dead Space was briefly on sale on Friday, but that was the Crysis day.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Seems like treating your customers like criminals, rushing incomplete and buggy games out the door, only paying attention to A++ titles, firing dev teams before a game is properly patched, and generally acting like a bunch of crazed retarded twats isn't good for business.

gently caress YOU UBISOFT! http://www.shacknews.com/article/68433/ubisoft-posts-74-million-net

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Blistex posted:

Seems like treating your customers like criminals, rushing incomplete and buggy games out the door, only paying attention to A++ titles, firing dev teams before a game is properly patched, and generally acting like a bunch of crazed retarded twats isn't good for business.

gently caress YOU UBISOFT! http://www.shacknews.com/article/68433/ubisoft-posts-74-million-net

I'm pretty sure the PC gamer market makes up a tiny portion of what Ubisoft makes unless I'm forgetting some massive MMO they own.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Amrosorma posted:

I'm pretty sure the PC gamer market makes up a tiny portion of what Ubisoft makes unless I'm forgetting some massive MMO they own.

No, you're right, but their work in the PC game market and what they have done to it is what really pisses me off.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Amrosorma posted:

No, but don't forget the "massive" mmo they're going to own: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/ubisoft-to-announce-ambitious-pc-game-very-soon-speculation-ahoy/3174/

Whatever that is, I can only assume it's an MMO.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
An MMO? If that's the case I'm guessing it'll be Assassin's Creed-related.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So someone finally made a new Wing Commander/Freespace/X-Wing/Tie Fighter type game and it's only $10!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9970/

But it doesn't look that good...

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-star-raiders/17-4114/

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Manac0r posted:

:crossarms:
Perhaps quad-SLI is in your future.

I use a U3011 with 470 SLI. Runs things rather well although I can't say I can turn it up to the max on everything.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Blistex posted:

No, you're right, but their work in the PC game market and what they have done to it is what really pisses me off.

Ubisoft have made continuous bad decisions with the PC market. That stupid DRM was one of the most annoying things ever created. They might not be that "big" in our market, but if what they do influences other developers then it's going to be even more loving annoying.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

So someone finally made a new Wing Commander/Freespace/X-Wing/Tie Fighter type game and it's only $10!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9970/

But it doesn't look that good...

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-star-raiders/17-4114/
It's horrible. The sad thing is I knew it was going to be horrible and bought it anyway.

I'm a sucker for these games because an updated Tie Fighter or Freespace is currently my Holy Grail of gaming.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Blistex posted:

You obviously didnt look that closely, because sales were up almost 20%, they just spend too much money on dumb poo poo I guess.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

KoB posted:

You obviously didnt look that closely, because sales were up almost 20%, they just spend too much money on dumb poo poo I guess.

Like overly complex DRM and customer support for thousands of people screwed by it, I would imagine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

That's really the industry in general at this point too. So much money is dumped into marketing, middle management and licensing that I'm always amazed to see actual profit on the financial statements of publishers. Many seem to be still operating on the whole 20/80 concept where 20% of your catalog is supporting the rest. Even the more successful programs geared toward less in-house development like EA Partners have basically been financial non-starters. That's why the indie scene is thriving now, particularly on the PC side of things.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I've got a backlog of flight/space sims spread across Steam and GOG and I've been thinking of picking up a stick to play them right. Is there a sort of agreed-upon list of good joysticks at various price points? I'm thinking something within $60.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

404notfound posted:

I've got a backlog of flight/space sims spread across Steam and GOG and I've been thinking of picking up a stick to play them right. Is there a sort of agreed-upon list of good joysticks at various price points? I'm thinking something within $60.
The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is considered the best low price joystick in the flight sim thread IIRC.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Insert name here posted:

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is considered the best low price joystick in the flight sim thread IIRC.

I agree wholeheartedly. It really doesn't get any better than that until around the $80 price range where sticks like the x52 that have a separate throttle live, and some people would argue that the 3D pro's stick is better than the stick component of those stick & throttle setups.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Insert name here posted:

Interesting, it looks a lot fully featured than I thought a $30 joystick would be, but one thing that didn't even occur to me until I glanced at the top review was the fact that it's right-handed.

I'm left-handed in most respects, but I've been using a mouse with my right hand my whole life. I'm honestly not sure which hand I prefer for handling a joystick. I guess if nothing else, learning to use my right hand would make it a lot easier to find and use other joysticks.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

404notfound posted:

Interesting, it looks a lot fully featured than I thought a $30 joystick would be, but one thing that didn't even occur to me until I glanced at the top review was the fact that it's right-handed.

I'm left-handed in most respects, but I've been using a mouse with my right hand my whole life. I'm honestly not sure which hand I prefer for handling a joystick. I guess if nothing else, learning to use my right hand would make it a lot easier to find and use other joysticks.

Joysticks are pretty usable by either hand with any practice at all. I usually do flight-sim-style sticks in my right, but look at the myriad of game controllers and arcade games where they put the stick on the left, and those work fine for righties.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I don't think a lefty would enjoy using that stick. It has a pretty high tension so it requires really pushing and pulling on the stick to move it off center, and part of that torque comes from being able to lay the side of your palm on that rest along with pulling outward.

I am guessing that if you didn't have that, pulling the stick to the left would be annoying. Not to mention you will basically lose that side thumb button.

If you can find one, I think the original MS Sidewinder was symmetrical. You'd have to get a gameport to usb adapter to use it, however... and I haven't ever tried that before.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Serious Sam HD owns.

However The First Encounter HD still has the same bug that the original had...
...it crashes on the last boss.
Everyone but the host (Halo) crashed so we couldn't finish it in coop.
We went on and beat SE instead. To this day I've never beaten TFE.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

:siren: SURPRISE RELEASES THIS PAST WEEK :siren:

Indie turn-based space-sim/4X game. Looks like something you might play in the late '90s, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Adventure game where everything is made out of (real) cardboard and paper cutouts.

Looks sort of like a retro-styled, infinitely recursive, maze-based Geometry Wars. I love the concept.

Decent looking Geometry Wars clone.

Space sim. Another of Atari's 2600 "remakes," and "remakes" is in quotes because they're not really remakes. Apparently not very good.

A sort of bland-looking top-down shooter.

A new DLC "chapter" for Drakensang 2.

Yet more DLC for HoI3, except this one has an unpronounceable name.

:siren: RELEASING THIS WEEK :siren:

The sequel to the hit 2007 Polish RPG. Probably features more REAL MORAL CHOICES, Drowner killing, and boobs.

The too-easy 3rd installment of the Fable series finally hits the PC - thankfully with an increased difficulty level.

A highly anticipated 2D Minecraft-looking action-adventure game.

The next installment in the Two Worlds series is, oddly, a castle defense game.

A "construction-based war game" where you have to guide a truck through lots of lazers or something.

The second DLC for New Vegas has you journeying to the most exciting place on earth: Utah.

New map pack DLC for Crysis 2. Remember when they used to give these away for free? :(

:siren: DEMOS, DOWNLOADS, MODS, & FREEBIES :siren:

PORTAL 2 - Mod tools open beta

HEROES OF NEWERTH - Free to play until May 22!

RIFT - Seven-day free trial

SANCTUM - Demo

COMBAT MISSION: BATTLE FOR NORMANDY - Demo

GEOLARIA - Demo

FORTIX 2 - Demo

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 16, 2011

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Don't forget Terraria today :)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Any word if Witcher 2 is going to have a demo?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
Another couple of freebies:

If you've ever subscribed or done a free trial for the MMO Vanguard: Saga of Heroes you now have 44 free subscription days assigned to your account. We have a thread here and a goon guild.

The same is true for other Sony Online Entertainment games, like Everquest 2. That thread is located here.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Don't forget Terraria today :)

Do you have a verifiable source on this? I saw it pop up in a couple of news feeds today but can't find anything on it other than a couple of forum posts alluding to a May/June release date.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Any word if Witcher 2 is going to have a demo?

I can't find a confirmation either way, but it seems likely given how liberal CD Projekt have been with the game's release (i.e., giving it a DRM-free release on GoG).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Do you have a verifiable source on this? I saw it pop up in a couple of news feeds today but can't find anything on it other than a couple of forum posts alluding to a May/June release date.

It's 100% confirmed by the devs.

http://twitter.com/#!/Terraria_Blue/status/68753286748061696

• Locked thread