Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
God I hope they get LA, so many games of theirs I want to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

ymgve posted:

They are? Where?

He meant to say Steam.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Agrias120 posted:

EDIT: Consensus seems to be that Krondor is pretty loving awesome. How is the entry learning curve on it? Is it going to rape me with obscure knowledge requirements, etc?

Two words: KEEP NOTES. Directions, hints and tasks come up casually in conversation/interaction and the game laughs at the notion of quest logs. The general aim of the chapter is all you get.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
That is true, however the interface is still pretty good and the manual explains the system (which isn't that complex) well enough so the learning curve isn't a big issue.

You should keep notes. Occasionally you can accidentally stumble into a really tough fight. You have to pay a bit of attention to managing your supplies like food and torches. Otherwise just explore and enjoy.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

scamtank posted:

Two words: KEEP NOTES. Directions, hints and tasks come up casually in conversation/interaction and the game laughs at the notion of quest logs. The general aim of the chapter is all you get.
Yeah, that's good advice.

Betrayal at Krondor has held up *extremely well* for a near 20-year-old game. The UI is slick, it has a lot of good writing that holds up better than awkward graphics would have, the combat system is good, the puzzle chests are fun, and characters being digitized actors is charming. :3:

The most obvious gotcha in the game is that you need to remember to carry rope and click the pits in dungeons to swing over them.

If you play the game as Owyn's Lute World Tour you get good money. :)

Also, there are tactics involved in the 3D world view - if you see the enemy in overland view, you can click on them to prepare to attack, which gives your party an element of surprise and first move/better positioning.

Oh yea, one important thing: Manually check (right-click) all rations you come across and dump the rotten and poisoned ones.

Never actually played Betrayal in Antara but I remember the reviews on it weren't too good.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 13, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nobody ever speaks of Betrayal in Antara (included with Krondor). I really liked that one at the time; the illustrations were gorgeous and combining magic to create new spells was pretty interesting.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 13, 2011

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

The Machine posted:

How do the Krondor games hold up?

Betrayal is probably one of my favorite RPGs of all time and aside from looking like complete rear end I think is still a pretty awesome game and holds its own even today. The skill system may lead to OCD like behavior but I actually like BaKs skill up system more than the standard level up and distribute your stats seen in most games.

Despite being newer I dont think RtK really holds up as well. BaK is the better game and if you only get one get BaK. I still enjoy playing it though and think its a pretty fun game. Gameplay wise it shares almost nothing in common with BaK so just because you enjoy one doesnt mean you'll enjoy the other.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ From what I've heard (I've never played it), the consensus is generally "not bad, but not as good as BaK".

On top of that, way more people have played BaK because the floppy version was made a free download to drum up interest for BiA (which no-one played, because they were still playing BaK).

I'll definitely be giving it a shot, though, once GOG fixes the gamebreaking bugs their version apparently has.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Just got Temple of Elemental Evil, but when trying to install the Circle of Eight mod, it just hangs in there for one hour and then the frontend crashes. Is there anything special I need to do to install it? Applying it on a fresh install.

19orFewer
Jan 1, 2010

Luisfe posted:

Just got Temple of Elemental Evil, but when trying to install the Circle of Eight mod, it just hangs in there for one hour and then the frontend crashes. Is there anything special I need to do to install it? Applying it on a fresh install.

I installed CO8 over a fresh install (XP) with no issues. Applying any patches before CO8 however broke it totally - even though CO8 seems to state you'll need to do so.

The game was still pretty unstable though - but started fine.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

pigdog posted:

Yeah, that's good advice.

Betrayal at Krondor has held up *extremely well* for a near 20-year-old game. The UI is slick, it has a lot of good writing that holds up better than awkward graphics would have, the combat system is good, the puzzle chests are fun, and characters being digitized actors is charming. :3:

I will pick it up for when The Witcher 2 is finished, sit there with my notebook and work my way through :D

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I really want to get Arcanum but I grabbed Fallout a while ago and struggled to actually figure out how to play it, and therefore I struggled to stay interested in it. Is Arcanum a little more accessible?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

C-Euro posted:

I really want to get Arcanum but I grabbed Fallout a while ago and struggled to actually figure out how to play it, and therefore I struggled to stay interested in it. Is Arcanum a little more accessible?

Not at all, arcanum is a great game with one of the worst UIs ever created. If you found fallout opaque you will probably hate arcanum unfortunately.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

C-Euro posted:

I've never really played old school RPG's but I picked up Arcanum just fine. Where I lacked was that I didn't have a clue what stats/skills/magic I should be levelling up.

The important parts other than that are self explanatory; map, world map, inventory, equipment.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Pre-ordered Witcher 2 for real and discovered that since you pay in dollars, the game was even cheaper than anticipated. :D Picked Gothic 2 for my free RPG and already have Syberia, to treat myself to something in case W2 won't run on my comp.

Still, I'm thinking about redeeming the bonus codes as well. I will probably get JA2 for my 9.99 game, since it's the only game with that price I have on my wishlist, but I have several 5.99 games to choose from.

The games I'm looking at are:
I-war 2
The last express
Myst: masterpiece edition
Riven
XIII

I really like space sims but I feel like I've missed out on a lot of classic adventure games and I'm trying to catch up. And it's been a long time since I played a FPS. Which game would give me the most enjoyment?

Also, can I do better than JA2 for 9.99 (already have the classics like Torment, BG, Freespace 2, Longest Journey, Heroes 3)?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I-war 2
The last express
Myst: masterpiece edition
Riven
XIII

I really like space sims but I feel like I've missed out on a lot of classic adventure games and I'm trying to catch up. And it's been a long time since I played a FPS. Which game would give me the most enjoyment?

Also, can I do better than JA2 for 9.99 (already have the classics like Torment, BG, Freespace 2, Longest Journey, Heroes 3)?

I'd say The Last Express is a more entertaining "adventure" game than either Myst or Riven. I-War 2 is also one of the last, good space sims you haven't played.

Whichever one you pick, don't get XIII.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I was on the fence about preordering The Witcher 2 (I'm loving the first one, but I was planning on waiting on the second) but I missed the free RPG deal with preordering. I've really wanted Realms of Arkania 1+2 for a while, so I think I might go ahead and bite the bullet. GOG :argh:.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I-war 2
There's really no reason to skip the first one.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Agrias120 posted:

I was on the fence about preordering The Witcher 2 (I'm loving the first one, but I was planning on waiting on the second) but I missed the free RPG deal with preordering. I've really wanted Realms of Arkania 1+2 for a while, so I think I might go ahead and bite the bullet. GOG :argh:.
The deal's still active.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Wrong.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
It's been hanging in the "activating module" phase for a couple of hours now. Will uninstall, reinstall, then run TFE X in XP mode and/or with administrator rights. again. Damnit.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

GoG E-mail posted:

Arcanum, Vampire The Mascarade: Redemption and other Activision RPG's 30% off this weekend only

Vampire The Mascarade: A Toreador Make-Up Game

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I heard Redemption was pretty good. Diabloesque but better. Apparently used to have a small but dedicated online fanbase too that made it into an enjoyable proto-MMORPG like experience.

I'll still take Bloodlines for just sheer damned awesome (any game that manages to initially imbue you with the sense that you're a low-grade god in most situations and can bend people to your will just as easily as you can rip them apart, and then make you feel completely at the mercy of something WAY scarier than you is doing something really, really right), but I grabbed Redemption awhile back and while I haven't played it yet I remember getting it because I'd heard good things on average.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Betrayal at Krondor is without a doubt one of the best RPGs of all time. Fantastic story, gameplay, atmosphere, and music. I dropped the $4.19 without any hesitation whatsoever.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I only got Redemption because of the LP. Getting a party together was a big selling point since I got really bored of Diablo and having no friends. While you are blowing through several hundred times the enemies than normal, it keeps you from wandering and doing nothing.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
So I just picked up Arcanum, and I followed the advice from the wiki from the "what should I know" thread, and I'm wondering if there's anything else I need to know.

So far, I wandered around a bit, stabbed some wolves and a small thing I didn't get a good look at, and then me and my boy Virgil were punched to death by some guy wearing a black robe. I'm assuming I did something wrong.

Also, the VA in this game is some of the best I've ever heard so far. Or at least Virgil's is.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Let's see here...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
^^Free is free, I guess.

andrew smash posted:

Not at all, arcanum is a great game with one of the worst UIs ever created. If you found fallout opaque you will probably hate arcanum unfortunately.

Alas! Maybe I'll give Fallout another try sometime soon, and scoop up Arcanum next time it's for sale. Thanks for the heads-up.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Let's see here...

Haha, same situation here. I wonder, can you gift games you own to someone else?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

senae posted:

So far, I wandered around a bit, stabbed some wolves and a small thing I didn't get a good look at, and then me and my boy Virgil were punched to death by some guy wearing a black robe. I'm assuming I did something wrong.

You can get past him without fighting if you let Virgil talk to him. That said, he shouldn't be able to kill the both of you. What do your weapon skills look like? Were you low on fatigue when you started the fight?

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Does anyone have a problem with Gothic 2 Gold starting up on Windows 7 64 bit? I granted permission to gogwrap.exe and gothic.exe and they are in my Task Manager but nothing happens.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Pr0phecy posted:

Does anyone have a problem with Gothic 2 Gold starting up on Windows 7 64 bit? I granted permission to gogwrap.exe and gothic.exe and they are in my Task Manager but nothing happens.

Start the game twice so you have two gothic.exe processes running, kill the rundll32 process that's stuck in a loop (there should be one eating 50 or 25 or whatever percent of your CPU time), one gothic.exe process will die but the other one will start working properly.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

Cray posted:

Start the game twice so you have two gothic.exe processes running, kill the rundll32 process that's stuck in a loop (there should be one eating 50 or 25 or whatever percent of your CPU time), one gothic.exe process will die but the other one will start working properly.

I just closed all instances of Chrome.exe and it worked :shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Redemption has some of the goofiest acting in the world and the Medieval segments sound like a high school rendition of Shakespeare. The game gets better when you hit modern times. Be warned that it's consistently difficult. Critical hits can sometimes one-shot your guys (vice versa, weapons like swords can auto-decapitate even bosses) and the partner AI is either aggressive to the point where they enter a blood frenzy, slaughtering everyone including their allies or they're huge pussies who refuse to use their abilities effectively: there's no middle ground.

With that said, if you're familiar with World of Darkness mechanics then you should be good. Abuse stuff like celerity and avoid dumb spells like the one that gives you beast claws. Easy way to kill opposing humanoids is have everyone gang up on them and try to drain their blood. Eventually someone will latch on and you can just suck them dry as an auto kill. Vampire enemies use blood for abilities so it's even more devastating.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Pr0phecy posted:

I just closed all instances of Chrome.exe and it worked :shrug:

Gothic 2 is just a little bit annoying to get running on Windows 7, but once you know the fix it's easy enough. Does anyone know if GoG are working on a patch to fix it?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Took like 3 hours but the last attempt to install Circle of Eight worked. The goddamn activation of the module took longer than the installation of the game. And I had thought that patching Neverwinter Nights 2 was a pain in the rear end (or, for that matter, installing Baldur's Gate Tutu AND a bunch of useful mods, at least those let me use the computer while they are being installed)

Edit: Now I have all Troika games installed somewhere. That is good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Luisfe posted:

The goddamn activation of the module took longer than the installation of the game.

This isn't too surprising if you keep in mind the enormous scale of Co8, and the very hacked-in nature of ToEE mods.

But yeah, with Co8, the game turns into the second coming of classic Gold Box RPGs, so long as you know the basic D&D rules enough to keep up.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Gashroom posted:

There's really no reason to skip the first one.

I wasn't gonna listen to you, because I feel like I don't have time to get into an old complex game like that, dated graphics and all. But today I stumbled upon I-war 1 at a second hand store; original box, manual, keyboard sheet and poster for one buck!

I still have XP, so it might actually work too.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Agreed posted:

I heard Redemption was pretty good. Diabloesque but better. Apparently used to have a small but dedicated online fanbase too that made it into an enjoyable proto-MMORPG like experience.

I'll still take Bloodlines for just sheer damned awesome (any game that manages to initially imbue you with the sense that you're a low-grade god in most situations and can bend people to your will just as easily as you can rip them apart, and then make you feel completely at the mercy of something WAY scarier than you is doing something really, really right), but I grabbed Redemption awhile back and while I haven't played it yet I remember getting it because I'd heard good things on average.

Redemption is very much not diabloesque. It combines the hordes of non-threatening enemies that were central to diablo with the drawn out random combat of low level Baldur's Gate. It's a very frustrating and tedious game to play through. There is little strategy and a lot of watching your party members do things with little input from you.

I grabbed redemption because I liked the world of darkness setting and the tedium was just too much for me. Every dungeon was just 100 identical weaklings and one boss, and every time you finished it you had to sit through terrible voice acting and fed-ex quests before moving on to the next identical level.

If you want to play a good vampire game, hunt down Bloodlines. If you've played bloodlines and want to play another vampire game, play any RPG out there and pretend you're a vampire. If you've played every RPG ever made and still want more vampires, I could maybe recommend redemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mithaldu posted:

Haha, same situation here. I wonder, can you gift games you own to someone else?
They tell you to send an e-mail to them for an alternate game on the redemption page.
I sent them an e-mail, they replied with a request for my choice, I replied, they sent me a voucher. Easy as that.

You can pick any game from their whole catalog if you already own the 5 free RPGs. GOG is awesome.