Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

pumpinglemma posted:

I'd quite like to see a super-skilled glitch run. Speedruns use a lot of glitches, sure, but they don't generally stop to explain what's going on.

Demonstrate did make a series of videos going over the route he used in portal done pro. Fair warning: he doesn't edit out the repetitive parts, but he shows how to pull off all the glitches.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=359B764A0A3B8188

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

pumpinglemma posted:

I'd quite like to see a super-skilled glitch run. Speedruns use a lot of glitches, sure, but they don't generally stop to explain what's going on.

The exception to that rule that I can think of is the Pokemon Yellow glitched run done for SDA's January marathon. It's a lengthy watch at over two hours, but the runner glitches the game to hell and back. More importantly, it has probably the best commentary I've heard for a speedrun. Since the run is more about method than skill, the runner is able to give calm, detailed explanations of every glitch and the involved setups leading to them. It's really entertaining to watch, moreso than sitting down and seeing someone else play a damned RPG has any right to be. I don't know or care to know a thing about Pokemon, but he managed to hold my attention anyway. That's gotta be worth something.

There's a download available from their site. Here's a link to the page with every run done for the marathon. Pokemon Yellow's listed under Saturday's games.

It's also up on YouTube in decent quality if SDA is choking you or you don't want to download.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

pumpinglemma posted:

This is what you are looking for.

Edit: got ninja by someone, but mine is a speedruns without the explanation on how to do it.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 27, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

While an offsite LP, this one for Silent Hill: Homecoming is awesome because of one amazing gimmick - the LPer uses YouTube's annotations to actually insert QTEs and choose-your-own-adventure options into the video. I was blown away when the first one came up and I realized that I was actually being required to hit the X button on the video pane to continue.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

While an offsite LP, this one for Silent Hill: Homecoming is awesome because of one amazing gimmick - the LPer uses YouTube's annotations to actually insert QTEs and choose-your-own-adventure options into the video. I was blown away when the first one came up and I realized that I was actually being required to hit the X button on the video pane to continue.
It isn't offsite :v:

FOILED :buddy:
vvv

Geop fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 28, 2011

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Tempest_56 posted:

Yeah, this is a goon LP. Kamoc's really been doing an awesome job with it. Here's the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3398510

E: Geop!:argh:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

qqqqsq

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
One of the best LPs I read before signing up on the forums was Risk. It was funny, and interesting, because I've always enjoyed playing the game and I thought the addition of storyline really enhanced it.

A little bit later, I came across DefCon, just for it's calm atmosphere with occasionally panicky moments where someone gets their entire area nuked to oblivion...literally.

I went through these LPs again a few sleepless nights ago, and I've decided that I really enjoy LPs of Multiplayer games, with the players competing against each other. Are there any more LPs like these around here?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I don't think it's in quite the same vein as something like Risk, but Gabriel Pope's Dominions 3 Let's Play kind of fits that description. Dominions 3 is a competitive turn based strategy game and Pope overlooks all of the player's turns while providing fantastic insight and adding a well written story to even minor happenings in the game. The thread isn't quite completed, but it's quite far along at this point and well worth reading.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

e. Never mind, I don't think this counts.

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010
People looking for multiplayer lp's should go ahead and check out
this:

http://www.youtube.com/TheRunawayGuys

It's a collaborative channel with a couple of long-time lp'ers who have some great stuff out on youtube but (with the exception of ProtonJon) aren't a part of this site. They recently finished Mario Party 1 and are now working their way through New Super Mario Bros Wii.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Krysmphoenix posted:

One of the best LPs I read before signing up on the forums was Risk. It was funny, and interesting, because I've always enjoyed playing the game and I thought the addition of storyline really enhanced it.

I'd recommend anyone who can read the thread in the forum archives should, instead of the LP archive version. The interaction between the players outside the actual updates was the best part.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
There were a few Axis and Allies LP that ran on the same formula (one by Obama2012 and one (aborted) by dMastri) - I'll see if I can find the links.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

General Ironicus posted:

I'd recommend anyone who can read the thread in the forum archives should, instead of the LP archive version. The interaction between the players outside the actual updates was the best part.

Probably a mix of archive and thread would be best -- since everything was hosted on Waffleimages, only about half at best of the thread appears to still be intact. Nothing stopping you, of course, from reading all the inter-update posts in the thread and then switching to the archives for the updates themselves.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Are there any notable "in-character" VLPs? I was thinking about the concept earlier today and realized I'd never seen any.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
There used to be but Trin Tragula took his videos down.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I think the best in-character LP I've ever seen was LordMune's LP of Fahrenheit. While it's in-character, is less of a gimmick and more of a way to convey a player's thought process from moment to moment. I've often thought a sub-VLP in this style would work for all sorts of games.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Rocketlex posted:

I think the best in-character LP I've ever seen was LordMune's LP of Fahrenheit. While it's in-character, is less of a gimmick and more of a way to convey a player's thought process from moment to moment. I've often thought a sub-VLP in this style would work for all sorts of games.

Geop did an LP of Shadow of the Colossus like this. The idea is that the subtitles are basically the Protagonist's thought process as he tries to "work out" where the weak points would be. It's pretty neat!

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Although a Youtube LP to the core, maxpkmf did an entire in-character LP of Doom. I still watch it every once in a while to hear things like "Ohh God! I feel myself turning to a zombie! Arrgghh, I must resist! Braaaiins!!!" Your mileage may vary in entertainment you get out of it.

Let's Play Doom

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 12, 2011

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

General Ironicus posted:

There used to be but Trin Tragula took his videos down.

These are the droids you're looking for

Edit: It's only a minute and a half, not the whole LP but trust me, it's all you need.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 12, 2011

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.

Joe Bananas posted:

This one may be a bit of a hard sell....

It's a Mega Man LP. And it's a non-gimmick run of the series. Forums user Simply Simon has been doing what can best be described as a video love letter to the historic series. Immensely interesting to someone, like me, who has never played the series before, he actually uses the sub-weapons as they were intended and explains various bits and bobs of the game design in a straightforward manner. I seem to be among the minority of the people viewing since I've never played the game, so if you are a fan of the seminal series, having defeated Wily countless times, you should still give it a look. His approach is refreshing, his commentary is well rehearsed and delivered in an engagingly friendly German accent. It is a fantastic series that is up there with the best, and it's criminal his latest thread hasn't gone gold, though this might be more due to his extremely quick update schedule. Even the threads themselves have been an entertaining read, with lots of great music and item discussion, as well as several great remixes of classic Mega Man music being posted. His first thread is slipping towards archives, so if you don't have that you'll need to catch it soon.

Mega Man - The unexpected Abraham
Mega Man 2 - Birth of a Legend
and currently ongoing...
Mega Man 3 - A Slide to the Top
[/effort post]

Just watched everything from start to present, and I cannot support this enough. These are fantastic videos filled with trivia and some very dry wit.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

doctor iono posted:

Are there any notable "in-character" VLPs? I was thinking about the concept earlier today and realized I'd never seen any.

Whatever you're thinking about, it won't work and is actually a really bad idea. Go forge a lucrative career robbing petrol stations instead. Trust me on this.

Michel parameter
May 6, 2010

by T. Finn

doctor iono posted:

You might like CannibalK9's The Void LP.

CannibalK9
Jun 4, 2009

We regret to inform you that, due to your recent performance, you have been demoted to Space Janitor. Your company-provided Space Mop can be found in the storage area that previously contained your personal belongings.

Michel parameter posted:

You might like CannibalK9's The Void LP.

Did it actually come across as in character? The only character I played was myself, though perhaps the overlap between the experiences of the silent protagonist and the player created many comments they could reasonably have made.

Just thought I'd chime in because I'm almost certain it isn't what doctor iono was thinking about; watch the first few episodes of the archived System Shock 2 LP for an example of how it is an interesting approach but would inevitably feel 'off', unless you had a really well written script and a voice that seamlessly matched your character.

Michel parameter
May 6, 2010

by T. Finn

CannibalK9 posted:

Did it actually come across as in character? The only character I played was myself, though perhaps the overlap between the experiences of the silent protagonist and the player created many comments they could reasonably have made.

Oh of course not, I won't call it "in-character" per se. Actually, I always perceived you as a kind of narrator. The way you guide the viewer in your videos with your thought/speculations/insights really worked in my opinion, hence reinforcing the fact that you were more than in-character, to me at least. Your persona worked really well since it wasn't fourth-wall-breaking at all.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The closest thing i know is Freeman's Mind on YouTube, which is arguably not really a LP. Or is it?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Trin Tragula posted:

Whatever you're thinking about, it won't work and is actually a really bad idea. Go forge a lucrative career robbing petrol stations instead. Trust me on this.

At least you're a good sport about it, Trin. That's the most important thing.

CannibalK9
Jun 4, 2009

We regret to inform you that, due to your recent performance, you have been demoted to Space Janitor. Your company-provided Space Mop can be found in the storage area that previously contained your personal belongings.

HenryEx posted:

The closest thing i know is Freeman's Mind on YouTube, which is arguably not really a LP. Or is it?

Yes, that occurred to me too, it's an excellent example because despite eliciting several laughs it never felt quite right, always one step from good-natured embarrassment.

Narrators are often used to good effect as characters annexed to the game, mainly in screenshots but I'm sure there's a few videos besides mine. I think any in-character video LPs would suffer from that informative, genuine investment approach, the only way I can see it is if the satire was turned right up; i'm talking changing style, possibly even the LPer ever episode, mixing in over-enthusiasm, stuttered lines, nonchalance, deadpan, complete silence when appropriate and sheer bewilderment to create a rich tapestry of schizophrenia in an unrepeatable flash-in-the-pan experiment that presses hard on the parody paradox.

I'd like to see that. Most aspects would be doomed to failure, but with enough creativity it would work on some level.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Proteus4994 posted:

At least you're a good sport about it, Trin. That's the most important thing.

Trin's submissions to the subforum are unironically some of the best and everybody should go watch them. The subforum just doesn't put out content like that anymore.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Trin Tragula posted:

The same advice still applies, too! "Stay low, keep moving"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

HenryEx posted:

I was about to recommend this too. doctor iono, you should really check it out, it's hilarious.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I was about to recommend this too. doctor iono, you should really check it out, it's hilarious.

Thirding this, love that series. Shame the update schedule is so sporadic though.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Thanks for all the great recommendations, guys! Though I've seen a lot of these already, I think I might go back and watch them again!

Rocketlex posted:

Monicro posted:

Geop did an LP of Shadow of the Colossus like this. The idea is that the subtitles are basically the Protagonist's thought process as he tries to "work out" where the weak points would be. It's pretty neat!
I've seen these, and I do enjoy subtitled in-character VLPs, but I was more curious about the massive challenge of a voiced one.

Proteus4994 posted:

These are the droids you're looking for

Edit: It's only a minute and a half, not the whole LP but trust me, it's all you need.
ohgod

CannibalK9 posted:

Just thought I'd chime in because I'm almost certain it isn't what doctor iono was thinking about; watch the first few episodes of the archived System Shock 2 LP for an example of how it is an interesting approach but would inevitably feel 'off', unless you had a really well written script and a voice that seamlessly matched your character.
CannibalK9, your LP is one of my absolute favorites of all time on this forum. It's not exactly what I was looking for either, but I wanted to congratulate you on such an awesome LP. You're totally right that the System Shock 2 in-character parts didn't really work. I still think that a slow, dense, cinematic game like Hitman might still work with the format without any levels of satire or irony. It'd be really hard to write though, and the guy would have to have a great voice for it.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I watched all the episodes that were out a year ago and then totally forgot about it, thanks for reminding me!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The only other example of a voiced in-character LP I can think of is WolfShirt's LP of Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land (requires archives), which was abandoned midway through when WolfShirt ran out of steam. He... did about as well as anyone could with that concept and that game. It's on Google Video and it looks like a lot of the videos are already down, but I think somebody was working on getting what exists of it archived.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 14, 2011

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Thuryl posted:

The only other example of a voiced in-character LP I can think of is WolfShirt's LP of Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land (requires archives), which was abandoned midway through when WolfShirt ran out of steam. He... did about as well as anyone could with that concept and that game. It's on Google Video and it looks like a lot of the videos are already down, but I think somebody was working on getting what exists of it archived.

Actually Wolfshirt told me to not re-upload them. He is generally ashamed of that LP. The System Shock 2 LP up to Hydroponics was in character. This isn't exactly a good thing through, as Raar was better at being himself, so it comes off a bit silly.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Rirse posted:

Actually Wolfshirt told me to not re-upload them. He is generally ashamed of that LP.

...Really? I thought that was one of the god damned funniest things. Huh.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

slowbeef posted:

...Really? I thought that was one of the god damned funniest things. Huh.

You and me both, Slowbeef. You, me, and everyone else on this subforum but Wolfshirt.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Rirse posted:

Actually Wolfshirt told me to not re-upload them. He is generally ashamed of that LP.

Wolfshirt is ashamed of role-playing Tingle in a public forum for upwards of 3 solid hours? What the hell is that about? Also, has anybody reminded him to finish the Pikmin LP recently?

VVV Oh dang, you're right. Got my unlikely roleplayers mixed up.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 17, 2011

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chewbot posted:

Wolfshirt is ashamed of role-playing Tingle in a public forum for upwards of 3 solid hours? What the hell is that about? Also, has anybody reminded him to finish the Pikmin LP recently?

That was Cheeseball IV who abandoned Pikmin. He probably fell into a black home with The Man With a Hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

That was Cheeseball IV who abandoned Pikmin. He probably fell into a black home with The Man With a Hat.

This is an interesting visual.

• Locked thread