Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

bewbies posted:

Cool, how do I do this? I am not very computer literate. Also, I tried googling "portable apps media player" and all of the websites that come up are blocked on our network.

Beaten by Hed, but VLC Media Player Portable will play it. It doesn't have to be installed, but you'll have to extract it to a thumb-drive or something. Why don't you just use a mobile phone to listen to your streams so you don't bring the ire of the IT Dept down on your head? They can see if you are streaming /wasting bandwidth via the network logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Unless he's streaming over 3G or pirate wifi, they'd still see it. Also smartphone users are still a minority.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Karthe posted:

Foobar2000 has a "portable installation" option that shouldn't require admin privileges provided you point it to a path you have access to. In addition, the installation will be self-contained, so you can move the folder around wherever you want and it'll still work.

This is brilliant! Working great.

I don't think my IT department really cares much about bandwidth (youtube et al are still available), they just did a shotgun blast at all streaming audio for reasons unknown. It is particularly ridiculous as we need to listen to certain audio streams for online training.

Also my phone doesn't get 3G where I'm at, I examined that option as well. :(

evale
Dec 20, 2009
I've come across an installation of POSIX 6.x on my Windows 7 machine. Looking online, it's only supposed to be available on Ultimate or Enterprise versions, while I'm running a Home Premium. Plus I don't recall seeing it in my Secunia programs list before. Any ideas on why I have it?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I noticed something strange. I just installed Windows 7 on my new system. It's using a SSD for the system drive and I have a 1TB drive as D:. I noticed that Windows is allowing me to eject the drives!

Why is this happening?

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Sizzlechest posted:

I noticed something strange. I just installed Windows 7 on my new system. It's using a SSD for the system drive and I have a 1TB drive as D:. I noticed that Windows is allowing me to eject the drives!

Why is this happening?

Same thing happened to me and it went away after I reinstalled the OS.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Sizzlechest posted:

Why is this happening?

You can eject anything that is hot-swappable.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

mobn posted:

You can eject anything that is hot-swappable.

You would probably get a nice "sorry, I can't do that Dave" message trying to eject the system drive though. Hell, I usually have to just turn off my external hdd because windows usually won't eject it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sizzlechest posted:

Why is this happening?

In your BIOS, disable hot-swapping for the drives you don't want listed there.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

In your BIOS, disable hot-swapping for the drives you don't want listed there.

Yep. I am going to try that. That's probably it.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Sizzlechest posted:

Why is this happening?

If you have an Intel chipset, you can usually install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software and it will go away.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Is there a program that will let delete files that have permissions on them? I had 2 hard drives one with windows and one without, I installed Windows 7 onto the one (previously) without and want to delete the old Windows install from the old hard drive but it's giving me poo poo about permissions. A complete wipe isn't possible because I have stuff on there I don't want to lose and not enough room on the new hard drive for it to sit temporarily.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

You can do it via command prompt, or go through all the tabs on the properties and take ownership or you can download & install this.

Add "Take Ownership" to Right click.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Great, thanks a lot.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
BTW, I installed the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" that include (I assume) the Intel drivers. After installing and rebooting, the option to eject is gone for those drives.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Huh, so that's how you get rid of that. Mine has it too. I once tried to eject one out of interest (no not the system drive, I'm not that stupid!) and was greeted by an instant BSOD. Never touched it again.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

rolleyes posted:

Huh, so that's how you get rid of that. Mine has it too. I once tried to eject one out of interest (no not the system drive, I'm not that stupid!) and was greeted by an instant BSOD. Never touched it again.

I probably could have fixed it by disabling the hotswap feature in the BIOS. If you have an Intel SSD, you're probably better off with the Intel drivers and software. For other SSDs, you may want to check with the manufacturer.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Yeah sorry I should have been clearer, when I said "mine" I just meant my Windows 7 install on my desktop. I have 3 standard mechanical drives in it and they all show up as ejectable.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I'm thinking of using the student discount to buy Windows 7 Pro upgrade from Digital River. Is there any reason not to buy from them? I'm familiar with the differences between full install and upgrade versions. The price cut seems too good to come without a catch.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
There is no catch and its a great deal. I've been using mine for a long time and I've changed disks, motherboards, cpu, and videocard, some of them more than once and never had an issue with reinstalling. You can also do a clean install with it even though its an upgrade version.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've also bought from them and it worked perfectly.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there not a first party (or at least non-evil, at least not any more than Facebook itself) Facebook Windows program that puts an icon in the notification area? There are a million browser extensions and stuff for it, but not just one for Windows that I can find.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there not a first party (or at least non-evil, at least not any more than Facebook itself) Facebook Windows program that puts an icon in the notification area? There are a million browser extensions and stuff for it, but not just one for Windows that I can find.

Digsby can do this (in addition to other stuff, if you wish).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

hooah posted:

Digsby can do this (in addition to other stuff, if you wish).
Yeah, I used to use Digsby but it pissed me off by suddenly starting to publish on my facebook wall without me asking it to, I switched to Pidgin. It can do FB chat, but not any other kind of notifications as far as I know. Am I wrong?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I used to use Digsby but it pissed me off by suddenly starting to publish on my facebook wall without me asking it to, I switched to Pidgin. It can do FB chat, but not any other kind of notifications as far as I know. Am I wrong?

I honestly haven't used Pidgin since I messed around with Ubuntu a few years ago. Are you sure you didn't somehow change any settings (or forget to change them on a re-install) on Digsby? I turned them off when I first installed it, and except for changing my status, it doesn't post anything. Also, they were recently bought by someone, so they don't include any shady stuff in the installation anymore.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

hooah posted:

I honestly haven't used Pidgin since I messed around with Ubuntu a few years ago. Are you sure you didn't somehow change any settings (or forget to change them on a re-install) on Digsby? I turned them off when I first installed it, and except for changing my status, it doesn't post anything. Also, they were recently bought by someone, so they don't include any shady stuff in the installation anymore.
Oh? I told myself I wouldn't use them again after that incident (and the stuff it tries to install on startup) but if they are under new management maybe I will try them again.

I'm more interested to know why Facebook hasn't made its own Windows notification dealie, like the simple mail checker Gmail has. Do they have some ideological reason for it?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Digsby gives Facebook notifications now and has for a couple months, at least. And it's really quite easy to turn off the achievements or whatever stupid poo poo it posts to Facebook.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Digsby gives Facebook notifications now and has for a couple months, at least. And it's really quite easy to turn off the achievements or whatever stupid poo poo it posts to Facebook.
That's missing the point, having them on by default is very objectionable and that's why I stopped using (=supporting) their program.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can get pop-up notifications in Pidgin via the Guifications plugin. They aren't too pretty, but they'll get the job done if that's all that matters.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
When you link Digsby to your account, like many linked apps, it requests that permission. I think it's mostly Facebook's fault for not being able to change permissions right there, but Digsby's behavior is not unlink many other utilities that link to Facebook. Change it in Facebook's application settings and live in peace.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's missing the point, having them on by default is very objectionable and that's why I stopped using (=supporting) their program.

Yeah, having to check the options and preferences of a program you're using is super objectionable. That's why I've sworn off filling out any web forms, because it's an affront to my moral sensibilities that they opt me in to receiving their newsletter by default. Come to think of it, what do you need Facebook notifications for? Surely you're receiving an email every time anyone writes on your wall or messages you, as per Facebook's default settings.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Yeah, having to check the options and preferences of a program you're using is super objectionable. That's why I've sworn off filling out any web forms, because it's an affront to my moral sensibilities that they opt me in to receiving their newsletter by default. Come to think of it, what do you need Facebook notifications for? Surely you're receiving an email every time anyone writes on your wall or messages you, as per Facebook's default settings.
Are you seriously suggesting that what options a program sets as its default, in regards to broadcasting information on the internet, is unimportant? If so why don't you go express that opinion in the Facebook thread in GBS, they'll love it.

LoKout posted:

When you link Digsby to your account, like many linked apps, it requests that permission. I think it's mostly Facebook's fault for not being able to change permissions right there, but Digsby's behavior is not unlink many other utilities that link to Facebook. Change it in Facebook's application settings and live in peace.
This also may be the case, I used Disgby for a few years and it's possible I set an option wrong by accident way back in the beginning.

I hate Facebook, and I'm always worried about those kinds of problems, but sometimes it's the only way my friends advertise parties and stuff.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 16, 2011

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but if you have IE9 on Win7 you can use it to pin Facebook to your taskbar. It functions exactly the same as regular facebook except: a) it has an icon in your taskbar and b) it will show notifications when you get messages and stuff.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

why don't you go express that opinion in the Facebook thread in GBS

no thanks

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I have a quick question about windows xp. I have a step grandparent who recently died and she has a boat load of pictures on her old computer that we want to transfer. The problem is that she was extremely paranoid of everything and locked her account where her pictures are, she was also very paranoid about the upcoming rapture and loaded her basement with sacks of corn meal, but that's a different story. I should also say that no one in the family has any clue to what her password is. Is there anyway to gain access to her account without knowing the password?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

MegaGatts posted:

I have a quick question about windows xp. I have a step grandparent who recently died and she has a boat load of pictures on her old computer that we want to transfer. The problem is that she was extremely paranoid of everything and locked her account where her pictures are, she was also very paranoid about the upcoming rapture and loaded her basement with sacks of corn meal, but that's a different story. I should also say that no one in the family has any clue to what her password is. Is there anyway to gain access to her account without knowing the password?

Is the hard drive encrypted? If not, you can just load a boot cd and copy the files off the hard drive. Another option would be to clear out the passwords (assuming the hard drive isn't encrypted).

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

efb

Or just drop it into an enclosure.

Also 'Administrator' is standard on many XP Home installs and doesn't have a password by default what the hell were you thinking Microsoft.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 16, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also 'Administrator' is standard on many XP Home installs and doesn't have a password by default what the hell were you thinking Microsoft.

It was designed for Home users in a world of dial up connections not always on.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
A default password probably would have been worse - people'd feel even safer even though they had the same password as millions of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
If I recall correctly, you can't login remotely to an account with a blank password. Pretty sure XP was that way from day 1.