Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
Has anyone here ever worked with Cascade Ultra Pima Yarn? I've cast on a pair of socks with it, and being sick and sleepy as I am, just noticed that I'm knitting with 3's instead of 0's.

This is an issue, and I just got to the charted portion, so the toe is finished. Oh, they're toe up socks. I've probably got an inch and a half sticking off of the sides of my foot.

Am I hosed or is there some amazingly slim chance that they'll shrink to fit perfectly when I'm done?

This is the pattern: http://billiesplace.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Socks/celebrationtoeupsocks.pdf
Not that it makes any difference I can think of.

Edit: I think I'm pretty hosed, but in the spirit of good news, can someone tell me whether this poo poo shrinks or not?

CureMinorWounds fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Sadly, cotton does not shrink.

At least it's just a toe?

Also, amusingly, I googled the yarn to see what it's made of and accidentally typed in "cascade ultra pimp". I would totally buy a yarn named that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It comes in purple, doesn't it?

Probably gonna use some of that stuff to do up a nice slouchy beret for my sister's birthday in June.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Sadly, cotton does not shrink.

At least it's just a toe?

Also, amusingly, I googled the yarn to see what it's made of and accidentally typed in "cascade ultra pimp". I would totally buy a yarn named that.

As would I, this was on sale at my local LYS, and I bought it not knowing what I would do with it, and this pattern called to me and its in a wonderous peacock blue and I thought it would be ravishing. Well! Pulled out it is! This is why I shouldn't knit when I'm sick, but its all I want to do!

Edit: Neongrey, its so soft and silky and smooth, it would make a fabulous beret! Do it!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Looking at this beret: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter08/PATTfernglade.php

And in the grassiest green my LYS has in stock. I love how the stuff dyes, it's so sleek and shiny I love it.

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I finally finished a wool scarf that I am donating and can work on this pattern:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rock-island

with a beautiful rainbow lace weight yarn I bought a month ago called Schoppel Woll

this will be my biggest lace project ever :dance:

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Yay Zauberball! Be sure to post pictures of it; I'm curious how the striping works out with the shawl's construction. A girl in my knit group is making it up in the most gorgeous red silk; I'm itching to go yarn shopping and cast on one of my own.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My intarsia gently caress YOU scarf is looking alright so far (and by that I mean TERRIBLE).

However, it's being put on hold so I can knit Jayne Cobb hats for myself and MY BOYFRIEND. I'm using a modified version of this pattern (Ravelry link), because my friend Sam printed it out and handed it to me as soon as I mentioned wanting to make the hat. Unfortunately, the boy has a giant melon head and the first hat I tried making didn't fit because I miscalculated.. but that's okay because it fits me just fine. :3: (By the way, if your gauge is close to 4 sti instead of 3, you need to cast on about 70 stitches for a small/medium hat :toot: )

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Today, I found a cardigan for sale in TK Maxx that was severely reduced in price (to £3) because it was already unravelling. I bought it and took it home to unravel completely for knitting. Let me tell you, unravelling knit cardigans is incredibly boring and takes literally hours (including the trying to find where the seams begin bit). Also, the cardigan turned out to have been made holding two different yarns together - a plain grey-beige one and one of those funny "ladder" yarns. I have yet to separate the two, they're wrapped up in balls together so far. And I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. Still, £3.

I'm also making a scarf with bamboo tape yarn using a basic yarn-over technique for a bit of a lacy effect. Probably quite dull, but I quite like the effect. Also, I couldn't think what else to do with bamboo tape.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Jollity Farm posted:

Today, I found a cardigan for sale in TK Maxx that was severely reduced in price (to £3) because it was already unravelling. I bought it and took it home to unravel completely for knitting. Let me tell you, unravelling knit cardigans is incredibly boring and takes literally hours (including the trying to find where the seams begin bit). Also, the cardigan turned out to have been made holding two different yarns together - a plain grey-beige one and one of those funny "ladder" yarns. I have yet to separate the two, they're wrapped up in balls together so far. And I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. Still, £3.

I'm also making a scarf with bamboo tape yarn using a basic yarn-over technique for a bit of a lacy effect. Probably quite dull, but I quite like the effect. Also, I couldn't think what else to do with bamboo tape.

Yay, I'm not the only thrifty knitter! I love going to second hand stores and browsing though the sweaters. Angora, silk, nice wool blends, you can find all sorts of great yarns.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Jollity Farm posted:

Huh, weird, today I've been unravelling a jumper that I got for free. Our laundry room in my halls has a bin for sending clothing to 3rd world countries, anyway, I've read in various places that sending clothing donations to other countries wrecks their local economies (imagine if you sell clothes for a living and suddenly a charity give clothes to everyone in the neighbourhood) so periodically I have a rummage through and grab anything I want. So far I've taken a GAP pullover that had loads of buttons on it for the buttons, and this Topshop jumper.

It's dusky pink and 47% acrylic, 44% nylon and 9% mohair. I think I'm going to knit it into a fuzzy teddy bear. I like unravelling knitwear, I just chuck on a podcast, get out my seam ripper and get going, winding the ball by hand. Mohair can be a pain though because it clings to itself so well.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I spent most of my college years buying old wool and cotton sweaters just to unravel them.

And the wool sweaters that I couldn't unravel I chopped them up and sewed them into stuff! :3:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Picture time! Here's the (intentionally) awful intarsia I'm working on. It's made of cheap acrylic, and two different chunky yarns. The blue portion isn't even the same shade of blue all over.

Mr. Croakums modelling my unfinished Jayne hat, with a second one on the needles. Pardon his vacant expression; he's a little hungover because my friends took him to a goth club last night and gave him whiskey sours. (I wish I was kidding. They really did take the frog to a club while I was out with MY BOYFRIEND. I came home and there was a picture of the frog sitting in the DJ booth, wearing my hat, with a drink next to him.)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Gah. I'm still waiting on my summer stipend from my work, but KnitPicks had to email me with their sales, and the Gallatin Sweater Kit is 40% off. Do I go for it anyways? It's not like I don't have a backlog of projects to cast on...

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mizufusion posted:

Picture time! Here's the (intentionally) awful intarsia I'm working on. It's made of cheap acrylic, and two different chunky yarns. The blue portion isn't even the same shade of blue all over.

You're...not knitting a swear word into that scarf, are you? It's just my vulgar mind playing tricks on me, right?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

It is a vulgar swear word!

Mizufusion posted:

My intarsia gently caress YOU scarf is looking alright so far (and by that I mean TERRIBLE).

In knitting news: I am debating whether I can finish my Lizette shirt in time for commencement tomorrow morning. I just need sleeves and to sew it all together. My family gets in town at 3pm.

I don't think it will happen and I can't make myself stop knitting! :byodood:

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Drei posted:

Gah. I'm still waiting on my summer stipend from my work, but KnitPicks had to email me with their sales, and the Gallatin Sweater Kit is 40% off. Do I go for it anyways? It's not like I don't have a backlog of projects to cast on...

Oh my god, thank you for telling me about that! For $30 I am aaall over it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I found a new yarn shop near my house! :toot:

That's even more expensive than normal yarn stores. :byodood:

And the yarn store owner seemed rather pissed off that I "only" bought her discount yarn :v:

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Finished binding off my Percy shawl today. Will block tonight. I've 33g of laceweight yarn leftover and I have no idea what to do with it.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Phishi posted:

Oh my god, thank you for telling me about that! For $30 I am aaall over it.

I caved and got it. And the book Around the World in Knitted Socks, which I was meaning to get anyways. And a skein of Gloss because I wanted to upgrade to free shipping. That's all justifiable...riiiiiiiiiiight?

VV If only my boyfriend understood me like you do. :glomp:

Drei fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 15, 2011

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Toootally! Especially since KP's stuff is just so freakin' affordable, and the free shipping limit is so low!

This is the knitting law. :colbert:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Here have two socks I will never ever finish the second one of because they don't fit either me or their recipient. Should have swatched.

First is Nain, from Silk Road Socks:

The second is Classic Kilim, from Knitted Socks Around the World:

In happier news, swatch for the vest I've been designing is done, and I have most of a prototype pattern written out:

Huzzah knitting!

(oh and my local yarn store in the middle of nowhere Iowa had a single ball of Kauni when I went Friday!!! One ball of rainbow, please.

:allears:

)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Hello I am a pocket crocodile and I am here to stop you going to the kitchen and finishing that jar of olives while you watch that documentary on obesity.

I'm all flat and bruised because a hippo trod on me and not because I was shoddily constructed and made up on the fly...

drat Felicity, those socks are gorgeous! By don't fit, do you mean too big or what? Why not finish them and try to sell them?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

In happier news, swatch for the vest I've been designing is done, and I have most of a prototype pattern written out:

Huzzah knitting!

Ooh...are you going to sell the pattern for the vest? Me likey. Also I've never made a vest before.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Genpei Turtle posted:

You're...not knitting a swear word into that scarf, are you? It's just my vulgar mind playing tricks on me, right?

Yes, I am. And now that I've finished the cunning hats for me and the boyfriend, I might finish this!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

Hello I am a pocket crocodile and I am here to stop you going to the kitchen and finishing that jar of olives while you watch that documentary on obesity.

I'm all flat and bruised because a hippo trod on me and not because I was shoddily constructed and made up on the fly...

drat Felicity, those socks are gorgeous! By don't fit, do you mean too big or what? Why not finish them and try to sell them?

That crocodile is so adorable. :3:

They are a size too small for me. I would, but I have been telling this person I would knit him a pair of socks for forever (the Nain was for me, the Turkish for him) and I really need to finish his actual (now fitting) gift socks first. As I'm coming into about an hour bus time for work soon, I'll probably get back to these too and see about selling.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Ooh...are you going to sell the pattern for the vest? Me likey. Also I've never made a vest before.

That is the current plan! It's a bit complex so I'm making the instructions as idiot-proof as possible (making pattern writing take even longer), and it's taking some time to get the proto-pattern written up. I'm aiming to have it finished and beginning working on alternate sizes by end of June. I'll post a picture when I have the test vest finished!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

That crocodile is so adorable. :3:

They are a size too small for me. I would, but I have been telling this person I would knit him a pair of socks for forever (the Nain was for me, the Turkish for him) and I really need to finish his actual (now fitting) gift socks first. As I'm coming into about an hour bus time for work soon, I'll probably get back to these too and see about selling.

That is the current plan! It's a bit complex so I'm making the instructions as idiot-proof as possible (making pattern writing take even longer), and it's taking some time to get the proto-pattern written up. I'm aiming to have it finished and beginning working on alternate sizes by end of June. I'll post a picture when I have the test vest finished!

Awesome!

I've often thought about trying to design my own things, but the amount of work that goes into it is absolutely staggering. I mean, I could design and knit a sweater for myself, but alternate sizing...holy poo poo.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

madlilnerd posted:

Adorable!!!!

If'n you want croc pattern (which is not to say there's something wrong with your on the fly one), this is really easy to make:
http://mochimochiland.com/2010/06/free-pattern-baby-gators/

I've made a couple for quick gifts and will probably make another this week because I very nearly forgot someone's birthday!!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I finished a top.

And a comically long scarf.

At the moment I'm (only) working on 2 projects, a pair of socks for my boyfriend (which I've frogged at least 3 times now) and a little shrug that was from a kit by Habu. Anyone ever done a pattern by them? They're oddly written for people not used to it, but I think it's a common style to Japan where the pattern is presented more like a blueprint with schematics then fully written out. I'm hoping I'm knitting it right!

VV Chroma, baby!!

Drei fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 16, 2011

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I love that scarf. The colors are glorious.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ozma posted:

Adorable!!!!

If'n you want croc pattern (which is not to say there's something wrong with your on the fly one), this is really easy to make:

I've made a couple for quick gifts and will probably make another this week because I very nearly forgot someone's birthday!!

Holy hell this is awesome. Was just looking for a new project and now I know what it'll be. Thanks for the link!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Ozma posted:

Adorable!!!!

The book that's in is in my university library- I love her pig pattern and may have to make some giant pigs from chunky yarn (in the book the pigs have wigs :keke:)
I put the croc up on facebook and have been bombarded by crazy cheerleader friends wanting, "a pocket animal I can carry around until the day I die" :psyduck:

Amigurumi on the fly knitting is so much harder than doing it in crochet, at least it is knitting flat. It's probably easier to make it up as you go along on double pointed needles because you can see the 3D shape it makes as it grows. I also found knitting a bit of a pain because the stitches kept jumping off my 3mm metal needles, gah.

I love the colours in that scarf, Drei! Any pattern with black entwined with a changing rainbow always looks so pretty and sophisticated.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

Hello I am a lizard

TOUCH MY CAKE AND I WILL CUT YOU

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Drei posted:

I finished a top.

Oooh I love this! Pattern online?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
^^

Yup, it's Pioneer on Knitty.

knitta please
Feb 18, 2011

Climbing down the hours I need to know now:
Do the hands of time only rule this chapter?

Yarn! posted:

]

with a beautiful rainbow lace weight yarn I bought a month ago called Schoppel Woll

I ogle this yarn every time I am in my yarn store. I can't wait to see the finished product to see how it knits up! Please post.

Also, I am doing baby knits right now for the first time ever and it is so cute and satisfying! PREGNANT PEOPLE EVERYWHERE.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

knitta please posted:

I ogle this yarn every time I am in my yarn store. I can't wait to see the finished product to see how it knits up! Please post.
I got a skein of Schoppel Wolle's Zauberball for my birthday last year and made a Bird's Nest Smoke Ring (from it.

It's loving gorgeous.

knitta please
Feb 18, 2011

Climbing down the hours I need to know now:
Do the hands of time only rule this chapter?

Fionnoula posted:

It's loving gorgeous.

gently caress it. Next time, I'm getting it. I was just about to post which colourway I wanted the most but then there are like 5 that I can't pick a favourite from. I will die a poor yarn hoarder. But I will be so warm.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Yesterday a guy in my knitting group came in with a beautiful haul of Wollmeise. We were all marvelling at how he managed to actually get an order in on the website before they sold out. Turns out he wrote a script to access the page when it updated with new stock, grab the ones on his wishlist, and plonk it through checkout.

Of course, now that I've actually seen the colors and handled it, I'm hankering for some skeins of my own...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009

knitta please posted:

gently caress it. Next time, I'm getting it. I was just about to post which colourway I wanted the most but then there are like 5 that I can't pick a favourite from. I will die a poor yarn hoarder. But I will be so warm.

I think the best line i've ever heard was when I was buying around $100 worth of wool (they were all in grab bags) and the cashier says, "Its insulation for your house." Now thats my standard excuse and I must admit, my spare room is AMAZINGLY insulated ;D

Edit: RAAARGH I think i've made a dumb in this pattern.
Smocking Stitch Pattern

Worked as multiple of 8 plus 8 sts for edge ribbing and selvedge.
Row 1 and every alt row (WS): P3, k2, *p2, k2, rep from * to last 3 sts, p3.
Row 2: K3, p2, *k2, p2, rep from * to last 3 sts, k3.
Row 4: K3, p2, *wyb, insert right-hand needle from front between 6th st (a knit st) and 7th st (a purl st) on the left-hand needle and draw through a loop, slip this loop onto left-hand needle and knit it tog with the first st, then k1, p2, k2, p2; rep from * to last 3 sts, k3.
Row 6: K3, p2, *k2, p2; rep from * to last 3 sts, k3.
Row 8: K3, p2, k2, p2, *wyb, insert right-hand needle from front between 6th st (a knit st) and 7th st (a purl st) on the left-hand needle and draw through a loop, slip this loop onto left-hand needle and knit it tog with the first st, then k1, p2, k2, p2; rep from * to last 7 sts, k2, p2, k3.

So i'm working the rows but it isn't turning out the way it should.. am I meant to work the rows 1 (WS), row 2 (RS) is this right? It doesn't look right :(

Spiteful fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 20, 2011