Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

musclecoder posted:

But! It has Gary's list of favorite songs from 1970.

Goofing on Gary's lists from a few months ago was seriously one of the funniest segments I heard in a while.

Now these are not necessarily my favorite songs, just the ones that would sound best on a desert island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I was really disappointed that the video game segment didn't lead to an interview with the Angry Video Game Nerd. I'd love to hear him talk to Stern.

Also, can someone explain Howard's obsession with Chaz Bono? He's talked about him every day this week, and who gives a poo poo who gives a gently caress?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Chaz Bono is one of those people who I don't know of outside of this show, like Joey Buttafuoco and Jessica Hahn.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Chaz Bono is one of those people who I don't know of outside of this show, like Joey Buttafuoco and Jessica Hahn.

I assume you must be somewhat young, then?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

I assume you must be somewhat young, then?

I'm 27. I have vague memories of Beavis and Butthead saying "Buttafuoco" because it's a funny name.

Really, who gives a poo poo about D-list tabloid names from 20+ years ago.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I'm 27. I have vague memories of Beavis and Butthead saying "Buttafuoco" because it's a funny name.

Really, who gives a poo poo about D-list tabloid names from 20+ years ago.

Yeah, that makes sense. My brother's the same age and probably doesn't know those people. But really, Stern is just stuck in his heyday of the 90s.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

This is stupid. I'm not remotely a cyclist and equating a primary mode of transportation for many parts of this world to a child's toy is retarded.

I hate people that ride bikes in the rode more than anyone on the planet.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Moniker posted:

I hate people that ride bikes in the rode more than anyone on the planet.

The weird thing is, that if you ever started biking yourself, you would hate the assholes in vehicles just as much.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vakal posted:

The weird thing is, that if you ever started biking yourself, you would hate the assholes in vehicles just as much.

I do both and basically I just want to say "gently caress everyone." Weekend suburban cyclists playing pretend Lance Armstrong games and riding out in the middle of the street without regard, and assholes pulling trailers driving too close to the shoulder practically blowing you off the road.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

FogHelmut posted:

Does the name Chastity Bono ring any bells?

I'm 37 and I have memories of the Sonny and Cher show and she was just a baby then. The only times I can remember her name coming up in the news over the years is when she came out as a lesbian, when Sonny died, and when she had the sex change.

The only entertainment she's ever provided to the show is Artie's impressions of her/him

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Howard has really been on a tear lately about that idealistic American working man and how if you don't work (according to his parameters) then you're a bum.

He's starting to sound like a grandfather. Now his kids need to just get pregnant.

God I wanted to punch him in the face when he was talking to Adrianne Curry and he said "mahhj" because he doesn't know what the gently caress a "Mage" is. I don't give a poo poo nor a gently caress about WoW but just his complete isolation from the rest of the world of the last 15 years..

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Wait, let me get this clear, you are mad because a 60 year old doesn't know what a mage in World of Warcraft is? I bet I could ask my parents and all of their friends and fine maybe 2 who do.
edit
actually the number would probably be zero, unless one of their kids is obsessed with it , 2 is a going on the high side

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 13, 2011

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Yeah, I don't really see how normal non gaming person would know what a mage is.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Now these are not necessarily my favorite songs, just the ones that would sound best on a desert island.

I read this in Howard's bababooey impersonation and it was funny :)

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Chaz Bono was on Letterman the other night and it was really interesting. I think Letterman actually admitted that he would rather be a woman.

http://youtu.be/UEJlP8XAx8U

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Ribsauce posted:

Wait, let me get this clear, you are mad because a 60 year old doesn't know what a mage in World of Warcraft is? I bet I could ask my parents and all of their friends and fine maybe 2 who do.
edit
actually the number would probably be zero, unless one of their kids is obsessed with it , 2 is a going on the high side

Mage is a pretty common word in books, movies and comics. Things Howard would be interested in. He used to read Thor comics as a kid. He should know this word. He is also a pop culture icon and radio host, he should at least be aware of things like "The Simpsons" and that silly cartoon that one guy does "Family Guy".

Howard just plays up this stuff funny sometimes, pretending he doesn't know anything, then confused when people don't get his Leslie West references. I mean, seriously, who in the entertainment world doesn't know about Family Guy?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

If only he was interviewing a troll shaman then Robin could have claimed to know one.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

AxeManiac posted:

Mage is a pretty common word in books, movies and comics. Things Howard would be interested in. He used to read Thor comics as a kid. He should know this word. He is also a pop culture icon and radio host, he should at least be aware of things like "The Simpsons" and that silly cartoon that one guy does "Family Guy".

Howard just plays up this stuff funny sometimes, pretending he doesn't know anything, then confused when people don't get his Leslie West references. I mean, seriously, who in the entertainment world doesn't know about Family Guy?

He does it to people he doesn't like. For example, when he interviews Chris Russo he constantly mispronounces Russo's ex-partner Mike Francesa's name even after Russo corrects him numerous times. It's just a thing Howard does to discredit people he dislikes; like he can't be bothered to remember the guy's name because he's so insignificant.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
It's not that he didn't know what a mage was (because tons of people wouldn't), but he pronounced it like Madonna's nickname Madge.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Well, maybe he was on iskawiska like Robin.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

musclecoder posted:

It's not that he didn't know what a mage was (because tons of people wouldn't), but he pronounced it like Madonna's nickname Madge.

Perhaps he pronounces "magic" with a hard "a."

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ribsauce posted:

edit

You have failed at getting it clear. As many others have pointed it out, the word is a common usage word in the english language that has become much more popular in the last 15 years and if you somehow have made it the last 15 years without knowing how to pronounce "Mage" then you are a sequestered shut-in who should broaden your horizons. Do you need to have an advanced knowledge of spices to know that "Sage" is not pronounced "Sahj"?

His schtick of not knowing how to pronounce people's names is funny because it's an insult to their level of 'fame' but the inability to pronounce common words in the english language while you are insulting other people for using them sounds dumb.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Robin Quivers posted:

First day of 21 day fast. Hate to be out on my first day but my friend Simone Dinnerstein is playing at the Met tonight. Gotta go.

her life is literally a diet

What a sad woman.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

You have failed at getting it clear. As many others have pointed it out, the word is a common usage word in the english language that has become much more popular in the last 15 years and if you somehow have made it the last 15 years without knowing how to pronounce "Mage" then you are a sequestered shut-in who should broaden your horizons. Do you need to have an advanced knowledge of spices to know that "Sage" is not pronounced "Sahj"?

His schtick of not knowing how to pronounce people's names is funny because it's an insult to their level of 'fame' but the inability to pronounce common words in the english language while you are insulting other people for using them sounds dumb.

It's a common word, really?

People outside of video games never use that word. Give me an example, outside of World of Warcraft or any other video game in which the common man would use the word "mage"

Outside of videogames and creepy fantasy fan-fiction, it is never ever used. Ever.

edit; poo poo I think he was deferring to that world by pronouncing it that way. He "doesn't know from" videogames and fantasy stuff, I think it's excusable.

chiz fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 14, 2011

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's a loving 3rd grade word and has no bearing on the context from whence it became popular. It's from the 1300's.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mage

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
I don't say sabotage. You say sabotage, I say sabataaj.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Brocktoon posted:

I was really disappointed that the video game segment didn't lead to an interview with the Angry Video Game Nerd. I'd love to hear him talk to Stern.

Also, can someone explain Howard's obsession with Chaz Bono? He's talked about him every day this week, and who gives a poo poo who gives a gently caress?

Someone with a twitter account should tweet him a link to one of AVGN's videos. He actually might get a kick of it if the video was really short and the game was really frustrating. Like Dragon's Lair, Power Glove, or TMNT.

Opie and Anthony loved him and they had him on their show.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's a loving 3rd grade word and has no bearing on the context from whence it became popular. It's from the 1300's.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mage

It's not a commonly used noun though. I'm 33 and outside of the videogame or dungeons and dragons realm or even fantasy or Shakespearian literature (that it is even in that, I don't know) I have never in that many years heard that word used.

All I'm asking you for is an everyday reference or an instance in which you or someone else has used it. I'm not trying to troll or be a dick, I am actually interested in this.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm over it, but I guess to entertain the point - how many knights do we have outside of medieval literature or fantasy? Zero, but yet everyone knows it's not pronounced "kanigget". I suppose usage of "mage" is probably restricted to more fantasy use than non, but it's still hardly some obscure word that Blizzard invented.

:goonsay:

Basically it just annoyed me because I'm not into WoW nor am I a fantasy gamer and yet I know and have known that word for as long as I can recall, and that entire segment of asking her WoW trivia that neither the asker nor the answerer had any idea what any of it meant was bad radio.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm over it, but I guess to entertain the point - how many knights do we have outside of medieval literature or fantasy? Zero, but yet everyone knows it's not pronounced "kanigget". I suppose usage of "mage" is probably restricted to more fantasy use than non, but it's still hardly some obscure word that Blizzard invented.

:goonsay:

Basically it just annoyed me because I'm not into WoW nor am I a fantasy gamer and yet I know and have known that word for as long as I can recall, and that entire segment of asking her WoW trivia that neither the asker nor the answerer had any idea what any of it meant was bad radio.

the thing that scared me was that I thought to myself "hey maybe I should try WoW out"

Not because of that crazy broad, just because it'd be something to do since I've been so bored lately.

meh

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Haha, I had a similar reaction, she made it sound less dumb than most people who are into it do.

I guess part of was just that a lot of this week felt phoned in by Howard and I was sort of annoyed with his lazy week of radio in general (Thursday's 6am start of a 9 minute live version of Hotel California, for instance) and that tipped me into nerdrage territory over a minor pronunciation issue.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm sure Howard knows enough about radio that it is easier to enrage people, and if he can do that while goofing on those people for the rest of the audience, he helps out both. I haven't heard the bit yet, but I'm interested to see how it turns out.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
I think an undercurrent of it all is that we all miss Baby Gorilla

Shine on you chubby diamond

:(

edit; even when Howard is being ridiculous and ranting about bullshit and making himself look like a dope I still laugh. I know it's a hotly debated thing here but the "I'm the PRANKSTER, I PRANK, NO-ONE ELSE" rant cracks me the gently caress up.

Sure he's being a lunatic and all that but my god his delivery and pitch and crazitude crack me the gently caress up. I love it.

edit. poo poo I can't find that clip, little help guys?

edit number ninety : gently caress YES I think I found it, listening now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UduTXHKnncc

hahahahaha it is it!!

chiz fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 14, 2011

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, he's usually really good when he's goofing on people, he just seemed off on this one and kept it up for too long. Artie would have made it hilarious though. Howard and Robin alone just don't understand it enough to properly do the joking it seemed like. (old)

e: thinking about it, it's pretty much the reason I don't enjoy most call-in style talk radio shows other than Howard's - it's boring when a caller is stupid on a point and the host agrees with my take but cannot properly explain WHY the caller is wrong, just that he sucks. Howard never does this which is why he is legendary, he always "gets it" enough to properly make the goof and is usually correct enough in his reasoning/logic to explain his math, if you will.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 14, 2011

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
VODKA STRAIGHT UP THANK YOUUUU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Millstone posted:

Ragging on Seacrest is getting kind of old, dude makes $55 million across all his ventures and the "king of all media" still trumps that amount by doing like 1/4 of the effort

I don't mind it because I loving hate Ryan Seacrest. I also hate the black Ryan Seacrest who goes by "Nick Cannon". They're both bores and neither of them should have a career.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
I think Howard is right in that a lot of his audience simply doesn't get the show. I've been a fan since the 90s and have listened to every single minute of every show since late 2005, and I have not once been pissed off at it. I don't even understand how anyone could be. It's entertainment, simple as that. Would you get pissed off when going down the slide at a waterpark? Would you get pissed off while watching a concert with your favorite band? Maybe you should stop listening to the show for a while and quit bitching about it.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Qaz Kwaz posted:

I think Howard is right in that a lot of his audience simply doesn't get the show. I've been a fan since the 90s and have listened to every single minute of every show since late 2005, and I have not once been pissed off at it. I don't even understand how anyone could be. It's entertainment, simple as that. Would you get pissed off when going down the slide at a waterpark? Would you get pissed off while watching a concert with your favorite band? Maybe you should stop listening to the show for a while and quit bitching about it.

Thank you for ya call

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm sorry to continue the derail, but I wanted to chime in to say that until reading the word in this thread, I had never heard of Mage. And I'm not some shut-in and I'm only 29. Speaking as someone who feels that the best video game system they've played was the SNES, I think if you aren't into that sort of thing (gaming), you haven't heard that word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Yes, finding something irritating is the same as not getting the show. I would get annoyed at any of those things doing it wrong, same as I will continue doing so when Howard makes a stupid statement.

What do you do for a living? It obviously isn't reading thread titles. Or maybe the discussion would be more entertaining if every comment was "That was a good show." or "Yep, it was."

Also, just for the record: shared ignorance doesn't really excuse it globally, so sorry if you guys have limited vocabularies and have never heard it but that's a pretty common word and regardless of your area of expertise that is not pronounced Mahj. Really, it's not knowing the meaning of the word, it's knowing how to read english that is the problem here. Find me another word in english that is 4 letters and ends in 'AGE' and is pronounced ahj.

It was a bad bit, a bit that went badly. I specified what was bad about it in my opinion.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 14, 2011