Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's been a murder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellam
Feb 13, 2011
When it started I really hoped that Lee would show up on an episode of Collings and Herrin but I don't think it will ever happen now. At the start it was brilliant because it was like they had only just discovered the internet and it had this great energy to it but now Richard seems a little too self-aware on it and just goes through the motions. I find Andrew's generic lefty views on every topic a bit old too, he's not quite as predictable as Jeremy Hardy but not far off. I still get a kick seeing Herrin on big TV/Radio programmes and then discussing what it was like on the podcast though. I would love to see him and Lee do more stuff but I guess their styles are so different now it would be hard to mesh them into one show.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of Richard Herring, he's a guest on Have I Got News For You tonight.

Also, I hope all of you vote for Jedward on Saturday.

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006
Having grown a bit bored of Collings and Herrin lately, I discovered the Peacock and Gamble Podcast, which is easily as good if not better. It's similarly filthy, but more tightly edited. Best to start from episode 1 and binge through it.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Thought last nights psychoville was excellent although the close up of silent singer reduced its creepiness factor. Also saw some of that nightshift on iplayer - great stuff!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Pellam posted:

I would love to see him and Lee do more stuff but I guess their styles are so different now it would be hard to mesh them into one show.

You say that, but I think every time I've seen either of them, there's always at least one section where they talk to themselves using the other's Lee and Herring persona.

Fist of Fun is coming out on DVD!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BBC4 have been showing Noggin the Nog lately. It's really quite charming and I can see why my mother feels so nostalgic about Oliver Postgate's programs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I've been watching Ivor The Engine on Youtube, love it. Although I'm seeing it in a whole new light now that I've had the idea put in my head that Jones the Steam is the only one who hears Ivor and everyone else is just humouring him. He's mental but harmless, and loves his job.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Cerv posted:

It's like there is an office in C4 with whiteboard dedicated to brainstorming ideas to piss of the Mail. It must be a wonderful place.

This is just the Larry Forsyth Experiments, isn't it?

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

StrawmanUK posted:

Thought last nights psychoville was excellent although the close up of silent singer reduced its creepiness factor. Also saw some of that nightshift on iplayer - great stuff!
That Tina bit had me in stitches, very 'hello dave!' like.

Junkenstein posted:

You say that, but I think every time I've seen either of them, there's always at least one section where they talk to themselves using the other's Lee and Herring persona.

Fist of Fun is coming out on DVD!
They'll probably be doing a one-off gig together when FoF comes out.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
:psyduck:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
A better tina turner than tina turner

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

^^^ that was awesome, too.

Best bit of HIGNFY ever, showing a clip of Sky News pundit saying to Fat gently caress Boulton "... and if you don't want to be in the news, don't pay a hooker to stick a dildo up your bum." then watching Boulton flap.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I love Psychoville. I cannot wait to see more of Billy Lomax/Hancock now.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I love youtube sometimes. It's got some really old clips of Stewart Lee, when he was incredibly young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8qPaz4s-0g

The jokes are a bit awful (in a nice way), but the delivery is fantastic. One commenter summed it up perfectly: "My god, he was even smugger when he was younger?"

It's great seeing the formative years of some of the great comedians like this, it really gives you a sense of perspective.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ddraig posted:

I love youtube sometimes. It's got some really old clips of Stewart Lee, when he was incredibly young.

The jokes are a bit awful (in a nice way), but the delivery is fantastic. One commenter summed it up perfectly: "My god, he was even smugger when he was younger?"

It's great seeing the formative years of some of the great comedians like this, it really gives you a sense of perspective.

it's amazing how much he's improved, you can tell he's worked incredibly hard to be as good as he is now when you look at these videos.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Ddraig posted:

Not quite as old, but there are lots of clips of his 90s stand-up on his website

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

His act definitely works better as a bitter looking older guy. Also he appears to be made of plastic in that first clip.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
The Shadow Line is loving mint and the second episode has left me craving more like some sort of smack rat.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

spe posted:

The Shadow Line is loving mint and the second episode has left me craving more like some sort of smack rat.

The last half of the second episode has hooked me in, but I got the feeling from the first episode that the show took itself way too seriously. I mean I get it's supposed to be a noir drama, but the dialogue and [over]acting involving Honey and Patterson was cringeworthy in places.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Yay, Louis Theroux's got another documentary coming this Sunday:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011k0xx

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Its like con air but on the ground.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Watching Game of Thrones really makes me sad because I know that the UK seems unable to produce something as "dramatic" as this, even though the show is packed with UK actors on UK sets.

I wish Sky would pick up something like The Witcher, a big European fantasy (or even Sci-Fi) series and make a programme out of it. They'd be able to sell it to mainland networks and it'd let us do something that was actually "ours" as well as big and impressive.

It's just sad that all our talent has to gently caress off to America to do anything interesting.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Taear posted:

Watching Game of Thrones really makes me sad because I know that the UK seems unable to produce something as "dramatic" as this, even though the show is packed with UK actors on UK sets.

I wish Sky would pick up something like The Witcher, a big European fantasy (or even Sci-Fi) series and make a programme out of it. They'd be able to sell it to mainland networks and it'd let us do something that was actually "ours" as well as big and impressive.

It's just sad that all our talent has to gently caress off to America to do anything interesting.

We'll it's not really 'dramatic' per se, but Sky have made a fairly good fist of a couple of adaptations of Terry Pratchett's stuff; they were pretty much exclusively cast with English actors and I think all of them were filmed in Europe.

What I'd like to see is a British channel commisioning a Euro-pudding. There are some really great writers, crew and actors over the Channel and it'd be cool to see a European Ocean's Eleven of tv talent do something where the Brits are involved.

On a completely different note, I'm enjoying Nightshift but it took me a bit long to get into because Goggi looks so obnoxiously, distractingly like Lenin. I know it's on purpose, but still :argh:

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
So, has anybody watched The Street that Cut Itself on BBC1 yet? Is it like I imagine, with Nick Robinson spending an hour showing us how great the Big Society could be, and that we don't need public services, if only the poor would get off their lazy arses... etc? I'm not sure I can bear to watch and find out.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
I watched most of the first part and it seemed to be heading towards 'Holy poo poo the council are great value for money'.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Is anyone able to capture the ending credit sketch from episode 2 of Comedy Vehicle?

I'd really like it.

Cheers.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

nationalista posted:

So, has anybody watched The Street that Cut Itself on BBC1 yet? Is it like I imagine, with Nick Robinson spending an hour showing us how great the Big Society could be, and that we don't need public services, if only the poor would get off their lazy arses... etc? I'm not sure I can bear to watch and find out.

It really teetered the line and could have easilly been swung both ways. On the one hand it clearly showed how many services are done by the council and needed by the community and how much any kind of cut could gently caress up any number of things and lives. On the other hand, Nick "smug tory cuntface" Robinson was more than chuffed to be handing out fines or scolding them for not acting in an omnipotent "big societal" way.

The entire thing felt like a farse that proved nothing, because you took a series of public services staffed by hundreds and replaced it with a small group of about 20 people. On top of that, i'm pretty sure the budget was misrepresented and the volume of cash they were given to take care of whatever services they were lumped with was in no way accurate.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rolled Cabbage posted:

On a completely different note, I'm enjoying Nightshift but it took me a bit long to get into because Goggi looks so obnoxiously, distractingly like Lenin. I know it's on purpose, but still :argh:

The man really wants to have a holiday in that Swedish commune. Really really. The ending of the latest episode with the 'roid issues for the tubby fellow made me cackle.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Pollyanna tests out a solar iPod dock on the Gadget Show:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I thought he looked distractingly like Captain Mainwaring. Apparently the guy who plays him is now mayor of Reykjavik.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The ending of the latest episode with the 'roid issues for the tubby fellow made me cackle.

Do you mean the lactation? There were a couple more episodes last night but I was quite drunk when I watched them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Unkempt posted:

I thought he looked distractingly like Captain Mainwaring. Apparently the guy who plays him is now mayor of Reykjavik.

Do you mean the lactation? There were a couple more episodes last night but I was quite drunk when I watched them.

Yeah that one, and haha seriously Goggi is a real life Mayor?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah that one, and haha seriously Goggi is a real life Mayor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3n_Gnarr

Started out as a joke party, but then Icelandic politics happened, I guess.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Iceland has the population of a small Western European city. They can go a bit funny with a relatively small amount of people "getting the joke".

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Oben posted:

Pollyanna tests out a solar iPod dock on the Gadget Show:

:drat:

Well...one reason to watch the Gadget show I guess.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

goatface posted:

Iceland has the population of a small Western European city. They can go a bit funny with a relatively small amount of people "getting the joke".

Don't think we've got a lot of high ground on this, what with Boris Johnson.

Mowglis Haircut posted:

:drat:

Well...one reason to watch the Gadget show I guess.

Two reasons, surely?

Daedo
May 5, 2002
For anyone that's interested, The Scheme has started again on BBC Scotland. Episode 1 is already on the iplayer, with episode 2 airing tonight.

The Scheme is a documentary series that follows a year in the lives of six different families from a housing estate in Kilmarnock. It was originally airing May last year, but due to a pending courtcase, the last two episodes were pulled from the schedules. Now, a whole year later, the episodes can finally be aired.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I watched the first two episodes of The Shadow Line on iPlayer last night and I thought it was very good. Some of the acting is a tad over-elaborate (I'm looking at you obviously hiding something chief police guy), but overall I think this has the potential to be the best BBC thriller since State of Play.

It's the first time I've seen Raef Spall in anything (I think, perhaps he's been in something else and has passed me by) and, once I got over the fact he really looks like his dad, I think he's really really good in it.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birmingha
Nov 8, 2010
Those early Stew videos are excellent. Thanks for sharing them. Roll on FoF DVD!

SLCV2 is all well and good, but being 21, I might have missed out on a lot of 'older' non-mainstream comedy. I like Attention Scum, Asylum, strange standup bits from Saturday Live I can find on YouTube (Kevin McAleer is brilliant)... Is there anything else like that I can check out?

And Ratjaculation, the fact that noone has commented on your hidden Dave is hilarious. He's going to in Nottingham tomorrow, opening a new Uni building...