Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

kill your idols posted:

Sounds like a "plan" :lol:

I'm going to check it out, and I guess grab some guides on TC for people that haven't used it before. Their site says they encrypt the files before they are set and the 3rd party can't view them, but adding the extra layer might make people more comfortable.

I'll throw you a PM during the week and we can set something up. I'll give a TB for goons as well.

I don't have PM but you can email me at my username @movax.org.

Also, bandwidth caps gently caress this idea in the rear end, which is highly unfortunate. U-Verse :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Telex posted:

Then you realize how silly and absurd it gets hearing the meme-like repetition of "raid is not backup!!!!" when most people are doing this at home and not in a professional environment.

I wouldn't build a raid array at work and not have it backed up to tape.

I do think it's somewhat stupid to be telling people that they shouldn't bother making a raid at home if they're not up to spending double on it so they can have a backup, which is how it sounds when someone trots out the smarmy "raid is not a backup" thing.

It's a shitload more redundant than a random pile of disks in a machine unless you just build a JBOD. And I'd say that a JBOD is almost entirely as useless as a backup since one disk doesn't spin up when you try and turn it on to restore and you're poo poo out of luck with even less reliability than a RAID-5 that you might have been able to salvage.

People say raid isn't backup because it isn't. A computer with a bunch of drives configured in a raid setup might be a backup for another computer but the raid itself provides limited backup functionality by itself. Raid provides either speed (raid 0), redundancy (raid 1), or a combination of the two (.e.g raid5).

The reason the phrase "raid isn't backup" is repeated so much is because some people (companies as well judging from a myriad of articles on slashdot) put their data only on a single raid volume and act as if that's a backup solution. It is a convenient place to store data that can potential survive one or more disks failing but it's not a backup because it is the only location for that data.

I think the reason for this confusion is that people use the term backup as a synonym for simply saving a file somewhere without keeping a secondary copy. If you consider backing up a file simply having it exist somewhere then raid is a perfectly adequate "backup" solution. If you go with the more technical definition of backup meaning making a copy of a file in a separate location then raid isn't really backup.

A better question might be how much do you care if you lose your data? If you care enough you'll make a real backup solution with two independent raid setups (or something more exotic) but the majority of people will probably be alright with just stuffing all their music or whatever into one place and redownloadingrippingpurchasing their library in the event of a disaster.

*edit*

I personally just dump all my files on one server box and burn to dvd the stuff that I'd really like to get access to quickly should my server decide to explode or something. It's those dvds which are the backups and not the raid array.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 8, 2011

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Two identical raid solutions isn't backup.

It's just more redundancy.

Redundancy is designed to solve the problem of "what happens if something breaks" or "what happens if there is a power surge"

Backup is meant to save your rear end when you accidentally overwrite a folder. When you get a virus that encrypts your files. When you reformat the wrong partition.

A second raid that constantly mirrors or syncs isn't a backup. Ideally backup is incremental. It can be hourly, or minute by minute, but there should be at a minimum one backup that lags at least a day behind. Ideally also a week. Many times you don't realize you're missing something important until hours or days after something went wrong. A second RAID that syncs hourly will do gently caress all for you on that situation.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes
So I'm hoping to setup some NAS storage at my home and I'm reading through the thread and looking at different options. My main question right now - what is the reason to buy say the DS411J or the Netgear ReadyNas NV+ for $300+ vs just building a NAS system like the one The Fecal Jesus posted on page 84 for not much more that can hold more drives and run whatever OS I want.

I'm just looking for pretty simple storage, 2GB or so with at least RAID 1. Would of course be nice to have some room to expand if I decide I need bigger in the future.

Thrawn200 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 8, 2011

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
So for a small business wanting to get away from tape, would having two identical Qnaps (one at our colo) and using the built in rsync function be reliable enough for a production setup? I don't want to have to babysit it every day and coddle it to keep it working.

Mainly looking to use the NAS as a B2D target and then replicating the contents off-site, although may mix in some low-priority storage and ftp functions on it too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thrawn200 posted:

My main question right now - what is the reason to buy say the DS411J or the Netgear ReadyNas NV+ for $300+ vs just building a NAS system like the one The Fecal Jesus posted on page 84 for not much more that can hold more drives and run whatever OS I want.
You're basically paying Synology/Netgear/etc to build the box and do all the software crap for you. If you know what you're doing and don't mind (or enjoy) the extra work then you might as well save the money.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I'm getting an external hard drive. I need it to be USB 3.0 compatible, portable, reliable, and have plenty of room. This is my first choice right now. Should I go with it, or does anyone have any other recommendations that I should look at.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

JaundiceDave posted:

I'm getting an external hard drive. I need it to be USB 3.0 compatible, portable, reliable, and have plenty of room. This is my first choice right now. Should I go with it, or does anyone have any other recommendations that I should look at.

Newer WD external drives have pretty horrible rootkits installed on them that want to try to auto-load or auto-run their backup software every time you plug them in. It sucks rear end, because I like the look and feel of some of their newer 2.5" drives over the competitors.

You are most likely better off buying an empty USB3.0 or eSATA external enclosure, then buying a Samsung 2TB F4 for like 75$. Will come out to about 10$ cheaper than just the WD drive/enclosure combo.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

jeeves posted:

Newer WD external drives have pretty horrible rootkits installed on them that want to try to auto-load or auto-run their backup software every time you plug them in. It sucks rear end, because I like the look and feel of some of their newer 2.5" drives over the competitors.

You are most likely better off buying an empty USB3.0 or eSATA external enclosure, then buying a Samsung 2TB F4 for like 75$. Will come out to about 10$ cheaper than just the WD drive/enclosure combo.

I considered doing that, but I really need portability, as in I can just grab it and toss it in my bag.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well you could get a bare 1TB 2.5" drive...but it costs the same, then you have to add an enclosure on top of that, although I'm guessing not all will fit the drive since it's 12.5mm rather than the usual 9.5.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB USB 3.0

I've got three of these in 500GB. They're great. Having the ability to swap on a different interface is awesome, too. If you pull the interface off, inside you've got the bare drive standard SATA connectors available so you can plug it in to a computer without removing it from the enclosure if you need to for some reason.

e: The 1TB version is much thicker than the 500gb version fyi

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 9, 2011

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Ok, thanks for your advice everyone.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

My boss got me one of these, seems to work well.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Moey posted:

My boss got me one of these, seems to work well.

They're great for Macs, too. They include a copy of Paragon NTFS so you can keep the drive formatted to NTFS if you need to move between Mac/PC.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes
*edit* Think I found my answers...never mind. :)

Thrawn200 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 9, 2011

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Hoping I can get some input on this - I am torn between building a new NAS using this case and a low power ITX board, or just going with a Netgear ReadyNas. The sole purpose of this is to store and stream media to XBMC, so I don't know if one will be better than the other. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Airflow isn't great once it's chock full of parts, and it gets pretty cramped, and you have to screw everything in (a big difference from the tool-less/thumbscrews desktop cases I've gotten spoiled by), but otherwise it's a good case. DVD drive bay cover is really flimsy.

If it's just going to stream media, you don't need the flexibility of a full computer, but one would give you faster transfer speeds (maybe not important if it's just one stream target) and a slightly lower price.

Ron Swanson
Mar 16, 2009

Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.

Gyshall posted:

Hoping I can get some input on this - I am torn between building a new NAS using this case and a low power ITX board, or just going with a Netgear ReadyNas. The sole purpose of this is to store and stream media to XBMC, so I don't know if one will be better than the other. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am using a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 to do pretty much the exact same thing. I have a HTPC hooked up in the living room that I stream wirelessly to. It can also handle downloading while streaming as well. I have nothing bad to say about it thus far other than the initial RAID setup took a while for the machine to run.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
I got a 411J and finally migrated to it yesterday after almost a decade of wrangling built boxes. A bit disappointed I can't stream directly to the AppleTV but... oh what is this that was just released today?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Ron Swanson posted:

I am using a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 to do pretty much the exact same thing. I have a HTPC hooked up in the living room that I stream wirelessly to. It can also handle downloading while streaming as well. I have nothing bad to say about it thus far other than the initial RAID setup took a while for the machine to run.

I pulled the trigger on it last night, since I was able to pick up a bunch of 2TB drives for cheap. $589 for the NAS and 5.5 TB of space seems like a good deal to me.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Can someone with a DS411J measure the height of the unit? The website says that it's 184mm high, and I'm hoping to fit it in a shelf that's 185mm high. I'm wondering if there's +/- a few mm in actual practice. Also, how hot does the unit get? :P

edit: Also, how much noise does the unit make?

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 11, 2011

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

"NotShadowStar" posted:

I got a 411J and finally migrated to it yesterday after almost a decade of wrangling built boxes. A bit disappointed I can't stream directly to the AppleTV but... oh what is this that was just released today?

I would recommend checking out appletv + XBMC. plays almost and format and can stream from an NAS.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
I've had my DS1010+ running for about 4 months now. It's got 2 iSCSI LUNS one attached to an ESXi box which stores backup VMs and a live windows 7 VM which is being used in production quite successfully. (I'm instantly ready to switch back to a physical machine but for the test it runs just great) I also have an 800 gig LUN attached to a windows server which is a temporary holding place for windows backups, because I needed a drive that appeared real to the server.

I'm currently running a 3.0 version of the DSM software is there any sane reason to go to 3.1?

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Cavepimp posted:

So for a small business wanting to get away from tape, would having two identical Qnaps (one at our colo) and using the built in rsync function be reliable enough for a production setup? I don't want to have to babysit it every day and coddle it to keep it working.

Mainly looking to use the NAS as a B2D target and then replicating the contents off-site, although may mix in some low-priority storage and ftp functions on it too.

Quoting myself just in case anyone else is interested in this project and wants me to write it up. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on two Qnap TS-809U-RP 2U units, one at our office and the other at our CoLo, loaded up with 3TB drives and will be mainly using it as an iSCSI target for our new backup environment as well as lower tier storage and moving our lightly used FTP server off old hardware. I'm switching from Backup Exec and a single LTO3 drive to Microsoft DPM 2010 and this replicated NAS setup, which should be interesting.

Do we have a backup megathread? Seems like we should.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Casimir Radon posted:

Now if they'd only build a NAS combined with one of these.

That video isn't really impressive... SSDs are better than HDDs. Add some heat/water insulation and a steel case and you've got the same stuff for less money.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

lowcrabdiet posted:

Can someone with a DS411J measure the height of the unit? The website says that it's 184mm high, and I'm hoping to fit it in a shelf that's 185mm high. I'm wondering if there's +/- a few mm in actual practice. Also, how hot does the unit get? :P

edit: Also, how much noise does the unit make?

I can't measure mine physically at the moment but I can assure you that heat and noise is not a problem. I can't hear my unit at all and it is cool to touch.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

IT Guy posted:

I can't measure mine physically at the moment but I can assure you that heat and noise is not a problem. I can't hear my unit at all and it is cool to touch.

Thanks for the info. I'll have airflow on all sides of the unit except for the top and bottom (assuming it fits in the shelf), so hopefully that won't be a problem. If you could measure it when you get the chance, that would be great!

Alternatively, can I just put the unit on its side? I haven't seen that mentioned in any reviews.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
In theory putting it on it's side would be fine. You would just see it's feet.

You might want to get a rubber sheet to put under it to act as a vibration isolator. In terms of noise it all depends on your hard drives. I can hear all of mine a bit when they are being accessed. Fan noise is pretty minimal, although if you are listening for it you will pick it up a few feet from the unit. This applies to my DS410j and DS411. Both use the same fans pretty much.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cavepimp posted:

Quoting myself just in case anyone else is interested in this project and wants me to write it up. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on two Qnap TS-809U-RP 2U units, one at our office and the other at our CoLo, loaded up with 3TB drives and will be mainly using it as an iSCSI target for our new backup environment as well as lower tier storage and moving our lightly used FTP server off old hardware. I'm switching from Backup Exec and a single LTO3 drive to Microsoft DPM 2010 and this replicated NAS setup, which should be interesting.

Do we have a backup megathread? Seems like we should.

What kind of performance are you getting out of the 809U-RP (and what firmware are you currently running)? I have been pretty displeased with ours (we have 4). For big slow file storage, they seem to work fine. But any kind of read that isn't sequential was terribly slow.

Care to share some IO Meter data? All of ours are using 1tb Seagate Constellation ES drives.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Moey posted:

What kind of performance are you getting out of the 809U-RP (and what firmware are you currently running)? I have been pretty displeased with ours (we have 4). For big slow file storage, they seem to work fine. But any kind of read that isn't sequential was terribly slow.

Care to share some IO Meter data? All of ours are using 1tb Seagate Constellation ES drives.

I don't have ours quite yet (getting ready to order after getting the preliminary green light). I'm not sure I'm terribly concerned with performance for our purposes and was probably going to just RAID6 all 8 drives, but I can certainly test it all out while I'm setting them up and burning them in.

What kind of numbers are you seeing and how are they set up (RAID, # disks, network)?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cavepimp posted:

I don't have ours quite yet (getting ready to order after getting the preliminary green light). I'm not sure I'm terribly concerned with performance for our purposes and was probably going to just RAID6 all 8 drives, but I can certainly test it all out while I'm setting them up and burning them in.

What kind of numbers are you seeing and how are they set up (RAID, # disks, network)?

I'll post some stats when I am at work tomorrow (or run some new ones if you have some specific things you want me to test), but they were pretty poor when doing anything that was more random than sequential. 8 disks, tested with both Raid 5 and Raid 10. Also tried about 4 different firmwares.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
To the person who wants two qnap NAS mirrored:

"what is this" posted:

Two identical raid solutions isn't backup.

It's just more redundancy.

Redundancy is designed to solve the problem of "what happens if something breaks" or "what happens if there is a power surge"

Backup is meant to save your rear end when you accidentally overwrite a folder. When you get a virus that encrypts your files. When you reformat the wrong partition.

A second raid that constantly mirrors or syncs isn't a backup. Ideally backup is incremental. It can be hourly, or minute by minute, but there should be at a minimum one backup that lags at least a day behind. Ideally also a week. Many times you don't realize you're missing something important until hours or days after something went wrong. A second RAID that syncs hourly will do gently caress all for you on that situation.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
I guess it's a good thing that's not what I'm doing, then.

The primary NAS is my backup-to-disk target. The second, off-site NAS is going to get a scheduled delayed sync of that backup data for DR purposes.

Aside from some non-critical stuff that can be replaced, no files will actually live directly on the primary NAS.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Just ran one quick test (100% read)

Made a shared folder on the NAS, mapped a drive on the test machine to the shared folder. The NAS is running 8 disks (which I specified a few posts back) in a Raid 5 array. There is currently no data on the array. Nothing else is accessing the NAS. It's connected to the test machine on it's own subnet.

Test setup:

Result:

Pretty poor. This is currently running the newest firmware. Have tested with each of the last 3 firmwares, results are around the same. When I did more of a blended test (random reads/writes), throughput dropped to around 2mbps, and like 1.5 over iSCSI. Also setup the 8 drives in Raid 10, performance was pretty much identical to Raid 5.

If you want me to test anything specifically, let me know. I have no problem breaking/rebuilding the array, updating firmware or just kicking it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm very inexperienced with Raiding, but I've started a project with a lot of data, and I would like to make a ~5TB raid. From what I understand, I can get around this if I Raid 5 four 2TB drives. I was wondering if anyone could recommended drives, and an attachment system for DAS. All I really need is USB2-out, I plan to plug it into a second device I have which can share it over my network.

Edit: Considering Drobo, but would really like an opinion if there's a better (or cheaper) route to take, and which drives I should go for.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 13, 2011

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Moey, that's interesting. Have you ever adjusted the 'Transfer Request Size' to a higher value? I think that might be part of what's limiting your results, from what I know. 32k isn't going to be very representative of most real-world scenarios (and certainly not mine).

e: also curious what your network settings are. Teamed? Jumbo frames? All the benchmarks/tests I've seen indicated a much higher throughput was possible (closer to 100mb/s), and my backup window would be hosed if I got numbers like yours.

Gah, e2: Do you have encryption turned on? Everything I've seen indicate that absolutely murders performance.

Cavepimp fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 14, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hello people I am interested in finding out what the best NAS solution for a home user would be.

I have my desktop and two laptops on a home network that I would like to do regular backups of various files and what not (mainly like music, steam games, important docs etc.) probably all up around 500 Gb.

I think I'm looking towards something like an external HDD array which can be connected to my router through Ethernet. Internet storage is off limits as I have a 40Gb cap per month. Also cost is important, the lower the better.

Guide me goons!

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
If you want something that's completely autonomous from your PC, the Synology DS211J would work fine. It's $200 plus the cost of hard drives. It's nice because it can act as a print server, media server, etc. Think of it as buying a little low power PC.

If you want something cheaper, there are single drive enclosures that can be connected through Ethernet and/or USB. They won't have all the cool stuff the Synology has, but if you're satisfied with keeping your data on your PC and external hard drive, then maybe that will make more sense. The big downside to those is that they usually require special software to be installed on every PC to communicate with them.

There are some routers that allow you to plug in a USB hard drive and make it a network share. My Netgear WNDR3700 can do it, although I never needed that feature.

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 18, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sizzlechest posted:

If you want something that's completely autonomous from your PC, the Synology DS211J would work fine. It's $200 plus the cost of hard drives. It's nice because it can act as a print server, media server, etc. Think of it as buying a little low power PC.

If you want something cheaper, there are single drive enclosures that can be connected through Ethernet and/or USB. They won't have all the cool stuff the Synology has, but if you're satisfied with keeping your data on your PC and external hard drive, then maybe that will make more sense. The big downside to those is that they usually require special software to be installed on every PC to communicate with them.

There are some routers that allow you to plug in a USB hard drive and make it a network share. My Netgear WNDR3700 can do it, although I never needed that feature.

Well that's the annoying thing. I have two external enclosures but they have no Ethernet connections. Then my router has no USB connections. So that's why I was thinking a 2 or more bay external enclosure that can connect directly to my router using Ethernet. Is that kinda what the Synology unit does? I can't really get my head around the newegg details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Well that's the annoying thing. I have two external enclosures but they have no Ethernet connections. Then my router has no USB connections. So that's why I was thinking a 2 or more bay external enclosure that can connect directly to my router using Ethernet. Is that kinda what the Synology unit does? I can't really get my head around the newegg details.

The Synology unit is basically a mini computer with no monitor running a Linux-y OS with two hard drive bays. You can manage it via a web browser and/or ssh if you're into that thing.