Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

There was a thread about a driving game that came out and wasn't very good but has been fan patched to be awesome. I can't remember the name of the game or thread or anything. It was apparently made into a really impressive wide open driving experience where tons of vehicles could race one another. Anyone remember what it was?

And here's the thread you were talking about : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401363

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Saint Septimus posted:

The Ruins of the Lost Kingdom maybe?

Yep, that's it all right. Thanks!

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

G.I. Jaw posted:

I could have sworn this game was called Mordor, or had the word Mordor in it, but searching for that doesn't reveal anything that looks similar, and I have no idea if it was in any way associated with LOTR.

It isn't Deadly Rooms of Death is it? It's often abbreviated to DROD which looks a bit like Mordor I guess.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I'm trying to remember the name of a game that was for N64/PSX/Can't remember but was in that generation, saw it being played on Video and Arcade top 10. Maybe.

The premise was that global armageddon loomed, from something external like a meteor or something, and someone had built a macguffin to prevent it; problem was, said macguffin was a mile wide. Its smooth transportation to wherever it needed to be hinged on the player's ability to use giant mechs/construction vehicles to (in a timely manner) destroy the gently caress out of every city block in its path.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

tomanton posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game that was for N64/PSX/Can't remember but was in that generation, saw it being played on Video and Arcade top 10. Maybe.

The premise was that global armageddon loomed, from something external like a meteor or something, and someone had built a macguffin to prevent it; problem was, said macguffin was a mile wide. Its smooth transportation to wherever it needed to be hinged on the player's ability to use giant mechs/construction vehicles to (in a timely manner) destroy the gently caress out of every city block in its path.

Blast Corps for N64?

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Vaos posted:

Maybe it's Master of Magic, or one of the Age of Wonders games.
No, but thanks :)

OperaMouse posted:

Could also be a Heroes of Might and Magic one. 3 or 4.
No, sorry :(

Bieeardo posted:

I want to suggest Fantasy Empires, but only because fighting battles yourself was such a worthless undertaking that there was no point but to auto-complete them.
Haha yes, same scenario, but definitely not that.
The battlefields themselv literally had a chessboard pattern of light and dark tiles all over them, kinda like Flickeys Island I guess, that reflected the terrain type, i.e. yellow and red for desert, green and brown for forest etc. I honestly am starting to think that it was a bad game. Also, you could organise parties in taverns, I remember that too. Thanks again everyone!

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Lowen SoDium posted:

Blast Corps for N64?
My memory of the plot looks seems to have been completely wrong, but this was it. Thanks!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

boner meter posted:

Also, you could organise parties in taverns, I remember that too. Thanks again everyone!

Organize parties...? That sounds a bit out of character for an RTS game. Are you sure it wasn't turn-based or even an isometric RPG?

Give this list a read. Who knows, it might jog your memory. v:shobon:v

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This is an extremely long shot, but I'm looking for an old Commodore 64 game that might have been foreign.

You play a fairy (like Tinkerbell, with wings and stuff) and you can progress in up to four directions from each room/screen. Some rooms have enemies and some rooms are dark. You can't actually fight anything. If you hit something, you start to fall, and can sometimes fall many screens before you land on a surface. I don't think you can die, but sometimes your wings will fade out if you get hit too much and fall too far, and you won't be able to move for a few seconds before you can regenerate. There might have been a time limit. There were items you could pick up but I never figured out what to do with them or what the point of the game was. The music was really cool.

The thing that's loving me on this is that I swear the game was called Eidolon, but there's a very popular C64 game called The Eidolon that has nothing to do with what I'm looking for.

All I want to do is find it somewhere on the internet so I can read about what you were actually supposed to do. It was a really pretty/cool game and I was never able to do more than fly around and eventually get frustrated and quit. I even tried mapping it on paper in case that gave me a clue, but it seems the world is randomly generated every time you start.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

boner meter posted:

I've got a massive urge to play this and I'm dying if I can remember more than a couple of details:
DOS or PC RTS game with a fantasy theme, players chose from a large array of element based factions ((Earth, Fire, Light, Dark, Chaos etc) from a large circular menu. The battles themselves took place on a large chessboard patterned terrain area. It was very similar in layout to the total war games, i.e. large campaign map, autocomplete battles if you want etc (as a kid I remember autocompleting the battles seeming netting you a shitload more reward than doing them yourself). I dont think it had a particular licence, just fairly generic Greyhawk style wizards n dragons style units. Please help, because I remember it being great. Thanks :)

I am almost certain that you're thinking of Lords of Magic (and/or its expansion, Legends of Urak).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_of_Magic

Yeah, it was pretty sweet.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

John McCain posted:

I am almost certain that you're thinking of Lords of Magic (and/or its expansion, Legends of Urak).

I own and love both of the games it's supposed to combine and this sounds loving awesome.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

AlphaDog posted:

The thing that's loving me on this is that I swear the game was called Eidolon, but there's a very popular C64 game called The Eidolon that has nothing to do with what I'm looking for.

You were close. It's called Elidon.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

John McCain posted:

I so so want to say it's this, the UI looks just like my memory does, and the art style of the units etc, but I'm so so certain that the battlefields themselves had a chessboard pattern. It's going to turn out that my then-busted videocard (showed all red as black amongst other things) is the reason for this. However, this game seems the most likely candidate, so thank you! Can you remember at all what the faction selection screen looked like?
e. wait, hang on, that game is turn based, but my game was definitely realtime? I think my mind is broken :(

Ohh just remembered another detail: Each faction had a home city/base that looked unique on the campaign map, and the earth factions was a giant tree.
Final edit: It IS this game! Thanks so much. My mind was confusing it with something else, it must have been. Yes.

boner meter fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 16, 2011

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Korbin posted:

I've been trying to remember a game I used to play on my family's old Tandy back in like 90-93. You flew a space ship and battled people in space. You could also land on planets and drive around in a tank like thing. I remember one planet reminded me of Hoth.

Sounds like Starflight. I'm pretty sure the first planet you can get to is a snow planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This was a Super Nintendo game. Fantasy RPG, but it played more like D&D style rules that final fantasy and was complicated enough that I didn't really figure it out during the rental period. It had an interface similar to those old dungeon hack PC games. You had (created?) 4 characters and you had their portraits and inventories on the side of the screen, with the rest being a first person perspective of the dungeon.

The story had the party going into a dungeon or crypt and immediately being trapped by a cave in.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Dr_Amazing posted:

This was a Super Nintendo game. Fantasy RPG, but it played more like D&D style rules that final fantasy and was complicated enough that I didn't really figure it out during the rental period. It had an interface similar to those old dungeon hack PC games. You had (created?) 4 characters and you had their portraits and inventories on the side of the screen, with the rest being a first person perspective of the dungeon.

The story had the party going into a dungeon or crypt and immediately being trapped by a cave in.

Might be Wizardry 5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_V

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Pneub posted:

Might be Wizardry 5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_V

This is similar but not it. I'm really sure that you always had the faces of your party on the side of the screen. The opening had a little montage of readying weapons. I remember we laughed that after the sword, and bow and such the cleric type just had a bible or cross or something.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

beef express posted:

You were close. It's called Elidon.

gently caress yeah! Thanks a lot!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Eye of the Beholder. Was OK on SNES but MUCH better on PC.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Genpei Turtle posted:

Eye of the Beholder. Was OK on SNES but MUCH better on PC.

Bingo

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

boner meter posted:

I so so want to say it's this, the UI looks just like my memory does, and the art style of the units etc, but I'm so so certain that the battlefields themselves had a chessboard pattern. It's going to turn out that my then-busted videocard (showed all red as black amongst other things) is the reason for this. However, this game seems the most likely candidate, so thank you! Can you remember at all what the faction selection screen looked like?
e. wait, hang on, that game is turn based, but my game was definitely realtime? I think my mind is broken :(

Ohh just remembered another detail: Each faction had a home city/base that looked unique on the campaign map, and the earth factions was a giant tree.
Final edit: It IS this game! Thanks so much. My mind was confusing it with something else, it must have been. Yes.

Was it one of the Heroes of Might and Magic games?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Got a screenshot, just need the name;

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Grawl posted:

Got a screenshot, just need the name;

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves for the Wii. This is one of the bonus games where you had to hold the WiiMote and balance a bunch of falling objects.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Pogonodon posted:

I think it was a 90s era DOS game. You had creatures you bred in your lab for some reason. There were little animations for them wandering around, eating, fighting. I remember the fighting bit scaring me, since the loser would get its head knocked off. They looked like they were made of clay and had colorful scales. I think they came in four or five colors. One was shaped a bit like an H.

Found this one, it was Unnatural Selection.

Volkeren
Oct 25, 2007

Laws are for people who don't breed killer monsters for a living.
Can anyone tell me what video game I'm trying to think of? I believe it's a very old shareware title, maybe DOS, and I'm pretty sure it appeared on the original volume of "100 Great Action Arcade Games." However, I can only find any information for volumes 2 through 5 on Google. The CD also included demos for games like Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, Wolfenstein 3D, and One Must Fall.

Anyhow, this game I'm trying to remember the name of was a 2D fighter in which you could pick one of several gladiators, from monsters to armored knights, skeletons, etc., and one of the characters I distinctly remember being an ostrich... I think another was a slime. The fights took place in a big sandy medieval arena, and I think that when a character was struck, blood or colored fluid would fall to the ground and stick there until the round was over. I also think there may have been some kind of tourney mode, where you can participate but could also watch the AI duke it out (since I was terrible at the game), and then at the end a winner would be crowned somehow.

Anyone have any idea what game I'm thinking of, or know of a place where I could find the list of the games that were included on the "100 Great Action Arcade Games" original volume?

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
That sounds like Champions of Zulula.

Rotten Punk
Nov 11, 2009

Ok, it was a korean MMOFPS. I remember playing it with goons a long time ago. The best way I can think to describe it is counterstrike with swords and parkour. Anyone know the name and if it's still around?

VVV Oh hey, that's it! VVV

Rotten Punk fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 21, 2011

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Rotten Punk posted:

Ok, it was a korean MMOFPS. I remember playing it with goons a long time ago. The best way I can think to describe it is counterstrike with swords and parkour. Anyone know the name and if it's still around?

It's a TPS, but it could well be Gunz. That feature's parkour and swords and general feats of amazing agility and gunplay.

Volkeren
Oct 25, 2007

Laws are for people who don't breed killer monsters for a living.

beef express posted:

That sounds like Champions of Zulula.

YES! I knew that the word "Champions" had to be in there somewhere! Thank you so much, I don't think I ever could have remembered that by myself.

Edit: wow, that is some kickass music.

Volkeren fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 21, 2011

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Does anyone recall which of the megaman x games as a level where you are I guess moving through an island, and occasionally the background has windows which show the ocean and island? It is dumb but I grabbed a big collectors set and really want to play whichever game that was again!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Synnr posted:

Does anyone recall which of the megaman x games as a level where you are I guess moving through an island, and occasionally the background has windows which show the ocean and island? It is dumb but I grabbed a big collectors set and really want to play whichever game that was again!

You can try flipping through HERE, they have full maps of all of the X games.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I can't even find the map of the level I'm remembering, though I think it may have been x2 or 3.

I think this game opening with Megaman getting stomped by this floaty ship thing and Zero rolls up and rescues you. He may or may not have died. The island level I'm thinking of had the armour unlock down one of the drop shafts that usually kills you!

Edit: I think I just misremembered the level and am mixing up a beginning and another level (from x2). Just gonna play through both.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 22, 2011

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Synnr posted:

I think this game opening with Megaman getting stomped by this floaty ship thing and Zero rolls up and rescues you. He may or may not have died. The island level I'm thinking of had the armour unlock down one of the drop shafts that usually kills you!

I think your memory is mangling together something with Crush Crawfish's level (X3).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I feel bad about forgetting this, but I can't remember the name of a game I really had wanted to try.

IIRC, it was for Xbox (Original) and Dreamcast, or something like that. It involved playing minigames for money, and there was 2 games in the series. It was supposed to have a third. The main character liked capsule toys, and people joked about it. It was kind of a weird series, that regrettably won't get it's final entry.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There's a DS game with a Groundhog Day kind of thing going on. You need to make very specific decisions (or save scum maybe?) or the story will repeat until you 'do it right'. I looked around and can only find "Flower, Sun, and Rain" which I don't think is it! I think I'm thinking of an RPG.

Did I just hallucinate this game?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Anatharon posted:

I feel bad about forgetting this, but I can't remember the name of a game I really had wanted to try.

IIRC, it was for Xbox (Original) and Dreamcast, or something like that. It involved playing minigames for money, and there was 2 games in the series. It was supposed to have a third. The main character liked capsule toys, and people joked about it. It was kind of a weird series, that regrettably won't get it's final entry.

Shenmue.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Heran Bago posted:

There's a DS game with a Groundhog Day kind of thing going on. You need to make very specific decisions (or save scum maybe?) or the story will repeat until you 'do it right'. I looked around and can only find "Flower, Sun, and Rain" which I don't think is it! I think I'm thinking of an RPG.

It's a long stretch, but could it be Ghost Trick?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Shenmue.

Yes, thank you. I kept thinking Suikoden for some reason.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grawl posted:

It's a long stretch, but could it be Ghost Trick?

Sounds kind of like Time Hollow maybe? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SvUX-BAttc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Heran Bago posted:

Is it new? This almost sounds like Radiant Historia.