Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

sirbeefalot posted:

What's the reasoning behind OEMs doing this? Is it to protect their own code or just to prevent custom ROMs?

Probably because the carriers want them to lock down the devices so that they can't be hacked to do things that they don't want them to do.

I also imagine that the OEMs and carriers see it as a way to limit technical support issues caused by ROM hacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

So the HTC Sensation has a signed bootloader which makes me worried that the EVO 3D will as well.
The Thunderbolt, Inspire S, Desire S, and Wildfire S all have signed bootloaders, with the latter three not yet having software hacks. Folks on xda are "working on it", and it wouldn't surprise me if they do manage to crack it. They always have in the past, even though the Desire Z/G2 took nearly two months. Also, there's some hardware jig (XTC Clip) that can unlock these guys, but I don't know much about it.

In any event, I would definitely expect the Evo 3D to have a signed bootloader. I also expect that, if it's not terribly difficult to crack, folks will have figured it out on the other models by the time it's released. But yeah, if you're banking on CyanogenMod support, it's worth confirming that it's crackable first.

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge

900ftjesus posted:

Moment was the stock dialer, Shift is the Sense dialer. You can try an app like Dialer One or you can root and install CyanogenMod when it's even close to ready, which doesn't look like right now.

I remember Dialer One not playing will with Sense but that could be fixed now.

Cyanogenmod isnt ready for the Evo Shift? Yessiree, it is, it's even out of 'experimental' status, i've been running the official CM7 for almost a month now:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/forum/239-htc-evo-shift-stable-mod/

Unless I misunderstood your post, in that case, shoot me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

Probably because the carriers want them to lock down the devices so that they can't be hacked to do things that they don't want them to do.

Although it may be the case that carriers are "expressing a preference" for locked/signed bootloaders, it's certainly not a strict mandate and appears largely to be still at the manufacturer's discretion.

Google's and Sony Ericsson's (latest) devices feature unlockable-by-design bootloaders. Samsung's bootloaders aren't even locked and will flash any bootable kernel (there were Tab firmware leaks a while back that did feature a signed bootloader/kernel but they've backtracked on that). I'm not sure of LG's exact situation, but the Optmius series appears to be rather hacker friendly.

Even Motorola, which historically has been the most difficult manufacturer with regard to signed bootloaders did an about face, likely at the pressing of Google, for the Xoom's bootloader, and they claim their late-2011 phones will be unlockable as well.

Every one of HTC's Android phones have featured some kind of boot/NAND lock that had to be cracked. Although each of these has been cracked as well, except for the latest devices, they've been stepping up their game over time. It's cat and mouse poo poo, and I don't really expect them to change, although it would be great if they did.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Currently I am on a 3 line family plan with my mom's name on everything, it's under contract for another 2 months. I want to get a seperated EPRP family plan just for 2 people, am I going to need to company hop or will they let me treat it as a new account?

Also, I want to get the Galaxy S2, can I get EPRP and keep my existing phone until the S2 comes out, and then use the sign up discount to get the phone for less, or do I have to get it at the same time as getting EPRP?

Finally, the lines are currently under contract until july 7th, can I break out of the family plan without it being considered breaking contract, since my mom would still be keeping her line. If not, is there some other way around this?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Can any of y'all recommend me an extended battery for the Nexus S? I found one by this company called Seidio, and another by Mugen Power, but I don't know if I can trust them. Thank you guys <3

Brut posted:

Currently I am on a 3 line family plan with my mom's name on everything, it's under contract for another 2 months. I want to get a seperated EPRP family plan just for 2 people, am I going to need to company hop or will they let me treat it as a new account?

From what I recall, you would have to company hop. Best way to do this is to buy a cheap pay as you go phone, transfer your number to that, then go back to Sprint.

pliable fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 13, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I wish we could get an EVO 3D release date already :negative:

My stock Hero is giving me strong "break into a million pieces" urges lately

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

a shameful boehner posted:

I wish we could get an EVO 3D release date already :negative:

My stock Hero is giving me strong "break into a million pieces" urges lately

Yeah, there's no point in going with the EVO right now with the 3D just around the corner. I'm not gonna buy a phone that I will use for 2+ years that is obsolete 1 month after purchase.

At least you're not suffering with a Samsung Alias like I am. I swear this phone has gotten slower with old age. It now takes 1-2 seconds to register button presses. What the christ.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Haha look at you kids, I'm still on a loving Rant

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

pliable posted:

Can any of y'all recommend me an extended battery for the Nexus S? I found one by this company called Seidio, and another by Mugen Power, but I don't know if I can trust them. Thank you guys <3

I have the Seidio 3500 for the Evo; that's a fairly reputable company. Back when I had the Mogul, or maybe Axim PDA, Mugen was a good company (I think they were maybe one of the best battery manufacturers out?)

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

change my name posted:

Haha look at you kids, I'm still on a loving Rant

:hfive: lovely Samsung Phone crew.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

FlyingCheese posted:

Yeah, there's no point in going with the EVO right now with the 3D just around the corner. I'm not gonna buy a phone that I will use for 2+ years that is obsolete 1 month after purchase.

At least you're not suffering with a Samsung Alias like I am. I swear this phone has gotten slower with old age. It now takes 1-2 seconds to register button presses. What the christ.

Well the EVO won't exactly be obsolete, it's still a great phone and will be for quite some time, but yeah there's zero reason to get one with a new line or upgrade right now.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I ended up disabling wifi on my Nexus S 4G until there's a fix. Good thing I have decent 3G and 4G coverage and an unlimited data plan.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

I ended up disabling wifi on my Nexus S 4G until there's a fix. Good thing I have decent 3G and 4G coverage and an unlimited data plan.

Do you have an N router? I have a G router and my wifi's been pretty awesome on my Nexus S 4G.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
G router. WRTGL54 with stock firmware. The laptop sitting next to it has full bars.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

gotly posted:

G router. WRTGL54 with stock firmware. The laptop sitting next to it has full bars.
drat that's hosed up. WRT54Gs are probably the most compatible wireless router in history. If your device doesn't work with it, it's hosed.

Sorry Nexus guys, that's way worse than I originally thought. :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm using my Buffalo WHRHPG54 G router to use wifi on my phone and it's working.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
The wierd thing is, the wireless icon AND the cell signal strength icon will turn grey when they first connect and stay there for a while. About half the time, I'll have a working internet connection and half the time I won't. Eventually, both turn green and then it becomes even more unstable.

I'll A/B with my girlfriend's Nexus tonight and if she's not having any problems I'm going to take the phone back and exchange it for a new one.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

FlyingCheese posted:

:hfive: lovely Samsung Phone crew.
Samsung Moment user here, can I join? Something tells me I will miss being able to type on the physical keyboard :(

On the other hand, 3D! I haven't waited so badly for something like this since I was waiting for the Nintendo 64 to come out.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Man, the Nexus S 4G is a really nice looking phone, just got to play with one for a second while waiting for the Sprint store guy. I wish I could get that exterior with the EVO3D's guts, running some alternate reality webOS that's super smooth and has developer support. :sigh:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

I thought Sprint usually overnighted phones? The Optimus I ordered Tuesday night isn't getting delivered until Monday. Kind of disappointing.

And now Sprint has ported the number. Wow. I should have waited until the phone came...

My mom is pretty pissed that she can't text or call anyone for the next three days.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

The wierd thing is, the wireless icon AND the cell signal strength icon will turn grey when they first connect and stay there for a while. About half the time, I'll have a working internet connection and half the time I won't. Eventually, both turn green and then it becomes even more unstable.

I'll A/B with my girlfriend's Nexus tonight and if she's not having any problems I'm going to take the phone back and exchange it for a new one.

Hm, yeah. I'm starting to think your device has a problem with wifi. The only time mine had grey on the cell service was yesterday when the storms were rolling through here in the Midwest.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Stevie Lee posted:

And now Sprint has ported the number. Wow. I should have waited until the phone came...

My mom is pretty pissed that she can't text or call anyone for the next three days.

Didn't people tell you to order the phone then port the number?

Also, why didn't you just go into a store and walk out with a ported Optimus?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

gotly posted:

Eventually, both turn green and then it becomes even more unstable.

The green/white just indicates if you're connected to Google's servers (green = connected). If that's making it MORE unstable something is really hosed up.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

traveling midget posted:

Didn't people tell you to order the phone then port the number?

Also, why didn't you just go into a store and walk out with a ported Optimus?

1. I expected the phone within a couple days based on what I've heard about Sprint's shipping, and if the port happened during shipment it wouldn't have been a big deal because it likely would have been only for a day. I needed to get the port started before my mother's line on US Cellular was canceled so she wouldn't lose her number.

2. I'm cheap and I didn't want to pay for either the phone or the activation.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Bioshuffle posted:

Samsung Moment user here, can I join? Something tells me I will miss being able to type on the physical keyboard :(

On the other hand, 3D! I haven't waited so badly for something like this since I was waiting for the Nintendo 64 to come out.

And coincidentally, you can play N64 games on it!

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

porksmash posted:

The green/white just indicates if you're connected to Google's servers (green = connected). If that's making it MORE unstable something is really hosed up.

Forgot the network, rebooted, reconnected and now I have almost full bars. Still seems like software to me.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kahm posted:

Cyanogenmod isnt ready for the Evo Shift? Yessiree, it is, it's even out of 'experimental' status, i've been running the official CM7 for almost a month now:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/forum/239-htc-evo-shift-stable-mod/

Unless I misunderstood your post, in that case, shoot me.

I took a quick look at the nightly forum and it looked like they were having some major issues, but it's awesome if there's a stable.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
With all signs point to the EVO 3D bootloader being locked good chance I am going to wait and see which Galaxy 2 Sprint gets. If it is one of the thin sexy ones and it is unlocked I think I might go that route. I know Samsung software sucks but it will not be on it long at all.

Edit: it is my understanding that if the EVO 3D is locked you can not permanent root it? Is that correct?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 14, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

I know Samsung software sucks but it will not be on it long at all.
What would you put on in it's place? CDMA Galaxy S phones have alpha-quality CyanogenMod ports at best precisely due to the poo poo software situation.

nate fisher posted:

Edit: it is my understanding that if the EVO 3D is locked you can not permanent root it? Is that correct?
It's possible. They may be able to defeat the NAND lock but not the bootloader signature, in which case it's comparable to Motorola devices. I'd bet that if they make any headway though they'll unlock the whole thing.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

nate fisher posted:

With all signs point to the EVO 3D bootloader being locked good chance I am going to wait and see which Galaxy 2 Sprint gets. If it is one of the thin sexy ones and it is unlocked I think I might go that route. I know Samsung software sucks but it will not be on it long at all.

I'm thinking about checking the SGS2 out too, we'll see what happens with the US versions.

With a locked bootloader you can root but you can't use custom ROMs. I seem to remember it restricting something else but I can't think of it right now.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What would you put on in it's place? CDMA Galaxy S phones have alpha-quality CyanogenMod ports at best precisely due to the poo poo software situation.

It's possible. They may be able to defeat the NAND lock but not the bootloader signature, in which case it's comparable to Motorola devices. I'd bet that if they make any headway though they'll unlock the whole thing.

Now since my last 2 phones have been the Hero and EVO I know nothing of the ROM issues. I will do some reading on XDA, because I am un-informed.

That said I will play with my wife's EVO 3D when she gets it, and if Sense 3.0 is great and I can at least take the Sprint stuff off I might go for it. That said the SGS2 is so loving sexy looking that it makes the EVO 3D look like a brick.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Has there been any solid reports on the evo 3d's dimensions? Like how does it compare to the original? I mean we know the rough size since the screen is huge but if it's too thick I don't know.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

change my name posted:

Has there been any solid reports on the evo 3d's dimensions? Like how does it compare to the original? I mean we know the rough size since the screen is huge but if it's too thick I don't know.

Yes Engadget had full specs. It is bigger than the EVO slightly, but a hair thinner. I can't wait to see one in person but the back of it looks hideous in pictures.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I like the look, sort of an old-school tape recorder/player feel. Plus you can get the case with the kickstand. I'm hoping the QHD screen does a good job of displaying the 3D, because that would be awesome. According to impressions I've read images "float" off the screen...I'm eager to see one in person.

Natural Laxative
Aug 20, 2004

hey guys, quick question. I just got a airvana in from retentions and I am very happy with it. I noticed there's a phone jack on it for a voip service? I tried poking around online for more information but came up with nothing. I have to have a fax machine for work and pay vonage 25 bucks a month just for the fax line so if I could get something cheaper through sprint that would be ideal. anyone know?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Sprint is now taking preorders for the Evo3d so I can't imagine it's that far off at this point.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there any real advantage to preordering online versus a walkin store? I don't think I can dodge sales tax via online so it seems better to just do the swap in person and not risk having the package get delayed and my current phone shut off.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

mastershakeman posted:

Is there any real advantage to preordering online versus a walkin store? I don't think I can dodge sales tax via online so it seems better to just do the swap in person and not risk having the package get delayed and my current phone shut off.

How would your phone get shut off?

edit: When did Sprint start taking pre-orders for the Nexus S compared to when they started selling it? If that's an indicator, we might have a rough gauge of how soon the Evo 3D is coming out.

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chunk posted:

Sprint is now taking preorders for the Evo3d so I can't imagine it's that far off at this point.

Where did you see this?

EDIT: Also can Best Buy handle EPRP yet?

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 14, 2011