Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

I tried to warn you all, but you wouldn't listen to me! :tinfoil:

Boy who cried wolf-itis?

I actually don't mind a little combativeness, but there's a certain point where no matter how reasoned your advocacy, it's mere existence is, much like Sarah Palin, more detrimental to the public image of your cause than your silence. You must meditate on this fact, grasshopper, and then come to the most logical conclusion.

To wit, "gently caress 'em."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Fair enough.

IMO the MPL and SPL for the IS are decent weapons (As much as a small laser is decent for anything), but the LPL is terrible.

The LPL really needed to have 4/8/12 range or something instead of 3/7/10. That'd have kept it comparable to the MPL (+1 damage, -1/2/3 range, +2 heat vs the standard version).

The Snub Nose PPC is a much better accurate infighter weapon than the LPL is, which is really sad because they totally dropped the ball there by giving the IS a weapon that is pretty much useless, and having to take up its niche with a less useless weapon later. X-Pulses aren't bad though although a bit high in heat.

Also, VSPLs are also pretty saddening (although less bad). Their accuracy modifiers should be reversed, so they deal minimum damage but have the greatest accuracy bonus at long range and deal the most damage but have the worst accuracy bonus at short range. It'd make them a lot more interesting as weapons, since it'd basically cancel out any range modifiers (total -1 for short, 0 for medium, +1 for long) and you'd have a very heavy laser weapon that provides accurate longish range fire and becomes a powerful short range weapon.

Considering the Medium VSPL is 4 tons and produces 7 heat it isn't even that unreasonable.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It was a joke, JJ. Or at least a light-hearted jab at the thread.

I know how I'm perceived in the thread, and that's fine. Doesn't mean I can't have a little fun with them now and then. It's far better that way than having PTN rig everything to come up ducky regardless of what we choose.

And the fact that you compared my usually well-reasoned arguments to Sarah Palin being batshit crazy is insulting. I may be a militant, overbearing rear end in a top hat, but I still have a functioning brain (most of the time). =P

Gingoskophot
Jan 7, 2010

Tiny Head Catte
I propose this be the soundtrack for this match.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9l7pygQRo

Zaodai posted:

It's okay Zaodai. I'm down with you, dawg. Or something.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

It was a joke, JJ. Or at least a light-hearted jab at the thread.

I know how I'm perceived in the thread, and that's fine. Doesn't mean I can't have a little fun with them now and then. It's far better that way than having PTN rig everything to come up ducky regardless of what we choose.

And the fact that you compared my usually well-reasoned arguments to Sarah Palin being batshit crazy is insulting. I may be a militant, overbearing rear end in a top hat, but I still have a functioning brain (most of the time). =P

Sorry, I figured comparing Sarah Palin to anything remotely intelligent would have made it clear I too was joking.

(But you were joking when you said that your were just joking, but I was just joking when I said that, but then you were... :psyboom:)

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

MJ12 posted:

The Snub Nose PPC is a much better accurate infighter weapon than the LPL is,

No no. It's 'The Snub Nose PPC is the best infighter weapon ever'.

Seriously, I love that drat thing.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't forget the heavy medium laser.

Heavy Medium Laser? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? How can a weapon normally rated either Heavy, Medium, or Light be both Heavy and Medium at the same time?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 13, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GhostStalker posted:

How can something be Heavy and Medium at the same time?

Well, it could be a fat psychic, I guess. :downsrim:

the JJ posted:

Sorry, I figured comparing Sarah Palin to anything remotely intelligent would have made it clear I too was joking.

(But you were joking when you said that your were just joking, but I was just joking when I said that, but then you were... :psyboom:)

Plans within plans within plans. And within those plans? Caramel.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Well, it could be a fat psychic, I guess. :downsrim:

Plans within plans within plans. And within those plans? Caramel.

Feint within a feint within a feint.[/Muad'Dib]

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

GhostStalker posted:

Heavy Medium Laser? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? How can a weapon normally rated either Heavy, Medium, or Light be both Heavy and Medium at the same time?
Laser size goes: large, medium, and small.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Xmas Future posted:

Laser size goes: large, medium, and small.

Ah. I guess that makes more sense then. I conflated Heavy and Large. My bad. I am not good with BattleTech.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Taerkar posted:

Ugh, don't even get me started on the Heavy weapons.

Crap, then don't. I'm going through this LP in ignorance because my last Technical Readout was 3055 I think. All this later equipment sounds craaazy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

the only good news is that later on (around the jihad) inner sphere tech starts surpassing clan tech in a few areas. Small cockpit, rotary autocannons, the various gyro upgrades... TSM, the special standard autocannon munitions which can be quite fun. so think of its this way... since the invasion kicked off early inner sphere gets its own bullshit tech sooner.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taerkar posted:

A lot of Clan weapons are better but the most glaring examples are ER Medium Lasers, LPLs, and missile racks. (Though they don't get the awesome insanity of MRMs).

And ER PPCs. You want an example, look at the Hellstar.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tempest_56 posted:

No no. It's 'The Snub Nose PPC is the best infighter weapon ever'.

Seriously, I love that drat thing.

It's a great weapon to keep fast, smaller machines from getting in the face of your Archer or Salamander variant. Minimum range on LRMs is six, short range on a Snub goes to 9. Covers that space pretty well.

Also gives you an awesome sweet spot at hex 7, when you light people the gently caress UP.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Defiance Industries posted:

It's a great weapon to keep fast, smaller machines from getting in the face of your Archer or Salamander variant. Minimum range on LRMs is six, short range on a Snub goes to 9. Covers that space pretty well.

Also gives you an awesome sweet spot at hex 7, when you light people the gently caress UP.

Something that I've always found to be an odd quirk in many Battletech players is the unwillingness to shoot at Minimum Range. Sure, LRMs at 1 hex are a bad idea, but I can't count the number of times players skip firing a PPC at 1 hex (+3) when they were perfectly willing to take the shot at 18 hexes (+4.)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zaodai posted:

I tried to warn you all, but you wouldn't listen to me! :tinfoil:

As long as the Clans keep kicking rear end, you can keep your sectarian-moonbat mechwarriors. :smug:

But in all honesty, vote Clanners next time. Why wouldn't you want to ride around in kickass mechs after these last missions where you were seriously outclassed?

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

evilmiera posted:

As long as the Clans keep kicking rear end, you can keep your sectarian-moonbat mechwarriors. :smug:

But in all honesty, vote Clanners next time. Why wouldn't you want to ride around in kickass mechs after these last missions where you were seriously outclassed?

I'll vote anything that isn't ComGuard, but this current "outclassed" mission's been the most fun for me so far, honestly. More light 'mechs in urban settings, please.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

the only good news is that later on (around the jihad) inner sphere tech starts surpassing clan tech in a few areas. Small cockpit, rotary autocannons, the various gyro upgrades... TSM, the special standard autocannon munitions which can be quite fun. so think of its this way... since the invasion kicked off early inner sphere gets its own bullshit tech sooner.

Those don't exactly surpass Clan tech (outside of the small cockpit which is a really useful toy). What the biggest game changer is, though, is C3/C3i, and if you're going full Jihad era, Manei Domini implants-which later become common enough that Canopus elites can field them, presumably meaning that the Capellans post-Jihad will also have equivalent cybersoldiers.

I have actually seen (and in fact played) games where the Inner Sphere force, balanced by BV, was smaller than the Clan force by a significant amount, due to the combination of C3i + Manei Domini cyberware.

(And the IS won half the time anyways).

There's also aerospace combat I guess, where the IS gets a lot of the specialty munitions like anti-aircraft missiles a lot sooner than the Clans do, and Subcaps, but in general the IS only starts exceeding the Clans in terms of human enhancement technology (ironically enough) and Electronic Warfare/Command and Control.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

They're rated Small, Medium, Large. Clan Heavy Lasers (avaiable in those same sizes) have ranges on par with IS standard lasers, a slight to-hit penalty and produce a lot more heat in exchange for doing twice the damage. So a Heavy Medium Laser will hit as hard as an IS-tech PPC, if at shorter ranges and with the to-hit penalty. At the same time, it creates less heat and is vastly smaller and lighter.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Magni posted:

They're rated Small, Medium, Large. Clan Heavy Lasers (avaiable in those same sizes) have ranges on par with IS standard lasers, a slight to-hit penalty and produce a lot more heat in exchange for doing twice the damage. So a Heavy Medium Laser will hit as hard as an IS-tech PPC, if at shorter ranges and with the to-hit penalty. At the same time, it creates less heat and is vastly smaller and lighter.

There needs to be a 'Mech armed entirely with Heavy Small Lasers.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The Snub is also an absolutely hilarious weapon for a brawler. Pair that sucker with a couple of SRM racks on an agile platform? That will ruin someone's day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

W.T. Fits posted:

I thought that was the point of Clan tech in general. Got something relatively awesome? The Clans get it with half the weight, twice the power, and none of the drawbacks.
Except with the Rotary Auto Cannon because:

:davionpatriot:

GhostStalker posted:

Ah. I guess that makes more sense then. I conflated Heavy and Large. My bad. I am not good with BattleTech.
It doesn't help that in the early novels Large Lasers were refered to as "Heavy" quite often.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnightLight posted:

There is one, it's a Firemoth variant and it carries nine of them.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

And ER PPCs. You want an example, look at the Hellstar.

True, but at least the IS ER PPC has a similar range to the Clan one. The 5 damage difference is big, but I've killed more than a few `Mechs with a single IS ER PPC to the head thanks to the crit roll.

The stuff that comes in after the 3060 update (ER Meds/Smalls, MRMs, alternative LBX/UAC sizes) is a grab-bag of good and terrible (Not that everything before that point was good *glares at Heavy Lasers*)

Alternative AC ammo, RACs? Pretty good. X-Pulse, ehhh... Plasma cannons/PPC variants/Etc, what?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
With all the negative talk about Heavy Lasers, I always thought they were a great way to keep a triple strength myomer mech running hot enough to benefit from it.

Speaking of which, I find it hard to believe that no one has designed a Heavy/Assault melee mech with HLas and TMS. Does that sound too outlandish?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Rick_Hunter posted:

With all the negative talk about Heavy Lasers, I always thought they were a great way to keep a triple strength myomer mech running hot enough to benefit from it.

Speaking of which, I find it hard to believe that no one has designed a Heavy/Assault melee mech with HLas and TMS. Does that sound too outlandish?

Negative talk?

But anyway, Heavy Lasers are Clan tech. TSM is exclusive to the Inner Sphere (aside from fluffy rumblings about Ice Hellion experiments, but they don't end up in a place to do much innovation). With very few exceptions, published designs (pre-Dark Age) do not include both sets of technology.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

KnightLight posted:

The ER Small Laser is superior to the Heavy Small Laser in pretty much every way. One less heat per shot and double the range for the cost of one less damage? Shucks.

Edit: Still waiting on turn orders from people... I'm going to need a quicker turnaround time, guys (or advanced warning if you can't reply).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 13, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The ER Small Laser is superior to the Heavy Small Laser in pretty much every way. One less heat per shot and double the range for the cost of one less damage? Shucks.

Edit: Still waiting on turn orders from people... I'm going to need a quicker turnaround time, guys (or advanced warning if you can't reply).

Hopefully you aren't waiting for orders from dead players again. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not. I'm waiting on the Valkyrie and the Assassin.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

So only the ones who are ABOUT to die. Acceptable!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Tempest_56 posted:

So only the ones who are ABOUT to die. Acceptable!

Whoa! How do you know I don't have an order in for idiotic DFA-suicide?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also the ER small doesn't add a +1 TN

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Every hour that goes by without player orders just gives PTN time to come up with even more diabolical situations to subject people to. It also gives people more time to sperg about the amount of rivets on a standard Griffin. We don't want either of these things, people.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Maybe if they stall long enough PTN's diabolo-meter will suffer from integer overflow and the next mission will be a game of Bunnies & Burrows.

... Wait, that's not a good thing either.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Honestly, it just makes it more likely that I'm going to need to call someone else in to take over.

Edit: This weekend I will be conducting viability tests--to see about recording games done in MegaMech.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 14, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Trast posted:

Every hour that goes by without player orders just gives PTN time to come up with even more diabolical situations to subject people to. It also gives people more time to sperg about the amount of rivets on a standard Griffin. We don't want either of these things, people.

Well, let's see. The standard Griffin, as opposed to the Super Griffin or the Griffin IIC, is a 55-ton workhorse. I am presuming that when you say "standard," you're referring to the 1N model first manufactured in 2492 by Earthwerk GRF, with a cost of 4,957,107 C-Bills.

I spergstimate that approximately 107 of those C-Bills have been spent on mechanical fasteners that can be likened analgously to the ancient fasteners known as rivets. These particular "rivets" are filled with high explosives, and are the means by which the cockpit roof panel is affixed to the 'mech. In the event of the ejection system being triggered, they explode violently, ejecting the roof panel from the 'mech shortly before the pilot and his command chair were violently propelled from the cockpit by means of rocket propulsion, a topic which lies outside the scope of this sperg. :eng101:

Zaodai posted:

Maybe if they stall long enough PTN's diabolo-meter will suffer from integer overflow and the next mission will be a game of Bunnies & Burrows.

... Wait, that's not a good thing either.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Honestly, it just makes it more likely that I'm going to need to call someone else in to take over.

Paging Agent Interrobang. Come in, Agent Interrobang.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

The Snub is also an absolutely hilarious weapon for a brawler. Pair that sucker with a couple of SRM racks on an agile platform? That will ruin someone's day.

You don't want to pair it with SRMs, because a SNPPC combatant is going to want to hang around at range 7-9, which is where most dangerous short range weapons are at long range and it's still at short and doing its full 10 damage.

Ironically I think the best weapons it pairs with are the long-range weapons like the gauss rifle, LRMs, and so on, because they tend to also have similar short range brackets and give your mech the ability to shoot back at longer ranges.

It's a very odd brawler weapon that pairs really well with long-range guns.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pretty sure I sent you my orders already in my last PM. I can double check and send them again if they didn't go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
I sent mine out on Tuesday and resent again about an hour ago, I can resend again if you still haven't gotten them.

• Locked thread