Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Well, the imp isn't gonna let V die (that would gently caress up his bosses plans) so no new tedious resurrection plot (unless Roy dies again).

Except, Haley is a statue, which is pretty dead. One good hammer blow or a fall and she's pieces. This could possibly, if done correctly, mess with Elan's alignment/personality.

While I think Tarkin's plan calls for him to be exactly the way he is, I wouldn't put it past Nale to try to do this for his own silly schemes. Or Sabine for that matter.

We're so close to another massive plot derailment, I am hoping Rich will resist the temptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Nah, Haley won't die. But I can see the statuette becoming stolen by Nale, leading into Elan's epic quest to rescue her.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Kalas posted:

Except, Haley is a statue, which is pretty dead. One good hammer blow or a fall and she's pieces. This could possibly, if done correctly, mess with Elan's alignment/personality.

Hammer blow yes, but V even says to just throw the statue down and it'll get bigger again. He's not going to do that until he finds Durkon.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Poil posted:

Isn't that Qarr, the imp working for the IFCC? That might be awkward for V and totally risk giving away some of their plans.

Yes, hence why people were talking about its presence as having been foreshadowed.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

seaborgium posted:

Hammer blow yes, but V even says to just throw the statue down and it'll get bigger again. He's not going to do that until he finds Durkon.

Throwing a stone statues sounds like SUCH a good idea.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That statue's hardness is sufficient that there's no way a dude with a seriously low Strength score like Elan could break it with a throw.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

rotinaj posted:

That statue's hardness is sufficient that there's no way a dude with a seriously low Strength score like Elan could break it with a throw.

Also, that's exactly what V told him to do when he found Durkon so he must not think it can be easily broken.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Interestingly, the 3.5 shrink item spell says that the object changes to a "clothlike" material, which would make it pretty much impossible to accidentally damage Haley.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mniot posted:

Interestingly, the 3.5 shrink item spell says that the object changes to a "clothlike" material, which would make it pretty much impossible to accidentally damage Haley.

That's optional, though. The statuette seems pretty solid to me.

Anyway, the spell requires the item to be tossed to reverse the effect. To me this would imply that the item is protected from falling damage by the spell itself.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I did not expect my little comment to elicit such nerdy theorycrafting. I probably should have known better.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I'm always disappointed by new comics when you have to wait a week for them. This one is kind of weak.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

inthesto posted:

Unless Thog has leap attack

As always, Rich Burlew is one step ahead of me.

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn

repostin'

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

repostin'

Nah, they were pretty much just blocking, i don't think they're following strict priority rules.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Clearly, Roy wasn't smart enough to take Combat Expertise and Improved Disarm.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Cabbit posted:

Clearly, Roy wasn't smart enough to take Combat Expertise and Improved Disarm.

Or sunder.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

The Werle posted:

Nah, they were pretty much just blocking, i don't think they're following strict priority rules.
Dearest The Werle,

Hah. Well, you see, a "riposte" is a bit different from a "re-post" but I give your comment high marks regardless.

With Regards,
rex monday

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

rex monday posted:

Dearest The Werle,

Hah. Well, you see, a "riposte" is a bit different from a "re-post" but I give your comment high marks regardless.

With Regards,
rex monday

:spidey::hf::itjb:

Talkin nerdy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I liked the pun in the title. :shobon:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If any D&D character is eligible for Combat Expertise and the player doesn't select it the Player is officially dumber than the PC.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

If any D&D character is eligible for Combat Expertise and the player doesn't select it the Player is officially dumber than the PC.

Anyone who ever actually uses combat expertise is not casting a spell, and therefore dumb.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Yeah this isn't true at all.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Piell posted:

Anyone who ever actually uses combat expertise is not casting a spell, and therefore dumb.

Counterpoint: Duskblades or Spellswords using their respective abilities to deliver spells through their weapons. :colbert:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Cabbit posted:

Counterpoint: Duskblades or Spellswords using their respective abilities to deliver spells through their weapons. :colbert:

That seems complicated. Just roll a wizard.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Cabbit posted:

Why would you use Combat Expertise to lower your chances of hitting (and consequently losing your spell), then?

Also, who takes more than one level in Spellsword?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

If any D&D character is eligible for Combat Expertise that player is playing not-4E and therefore dumb :shepface:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I too enjoy having every PC operate the exact same way with the sole exception being how the fluff describes their abilities.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's munchkin or nothing!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Real winners play Hackmaster. :colbert:

(gently caress was that game overly complex)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Munchkin, all decks + Homerules = Twelve hour games.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Did you know that Munchkin cards are the same size as Uno cards?

I point this out because they fit in a Uno Attack shooter. That was the best game of Munchkin ever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Taerkar posted:

It's munchkin or nothing!

poo poo, I'm wrong, this guy is right.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Paranoia is the best game. It even says so in the book.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

I too enjoy having every PC operate the exact same way with the sole exception being how the fluff describes their abilities.

That's dumb, you're dumb. 4E is nothing like that at all. And that's a common criticism from people who have read some of the abilities but never actually tried playing the game.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ashenai posted:

That's dumb, you're dumb. 4E is nothing like that at all. And that's a common criticism from people who have read some of the abilities but never actually tried playing the game.

Yeah, gently caress people who make jokes!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Last time I played Munchkin I somehow talked the other players into letting me play a double werewolf. There's a card that lets you play a race as a class, Old Edition or something. I doubt it's allowed, but the idea was sufficiently ridiculous that they let it slide.

So Munchkin will always be the best game because the idea of a werewolf who is also a professional werewolf cracks me up. A werewolf degree.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me I hate it when we get two pages in three weeks.

Ashenai posted:

I own the core books and have played under three different DMs. The game sucks. Thank god I didn't sell my 3.x books.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

I own the core books and have played under three different DMs. The game sucks. Thank god I didn't sell my 3.x books.
Just because you own the books doesn't mean you are idiot who doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. Some of the classes have enough distinction in their powersets that you can build three or four different PCs that operate in wildly different ways. And I've come up with some really retardedly dumb character ideas for which mechanics actually exist.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

:can:

While I think you were being overly hyperbolic in your criticism of 4e, I think it's a valid criticsm; the sameness of the different classes (at least, those filling the same role) is annoying in 4e. On the other hand, saying 3.x is better is like saying that because Order of the Stick is sometimes slow-paced, you should read Ctrl+Alt+Del instead. No, you shouldn't, it's terrible.

4e is basically the first tabletop RPG that has ever been properly balanced, and the sameness of the character classes is a side effect of that, and therefore should be tolerated.

But I guess if you like playing a game where the party wizard is literally better at everything than every other character, feel free to play 3.x. Whatever floats your boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

DontMockMySmock posted:

:can:

While I think you were being overly hyperbolic in your criticism of 4e, I think it's a valid criticsm; the sameness of the different classes (at least, those filling the same role) is annoying in 4e.
Seriously?? Have any of you actually played the game?? I've built three different characters that in the same role (Leader/Healer) at one point and each one operates wildly differently. One character thematically operates like a necromancer. Another behaved like a field general and the last one operates like a combat engineer.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 19, 2011