Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

fatherdog posted:

The stream for ADCC (the last couple, anyway) only had one mat at a time, though, so you're basically only seeing about a tenth of the tournament live. They release the whole thing on DVD sets afterwards, though.

Do they still have the lovely music dubbed over them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Pocket Billiards posted:

Do they still have the lovely music dubbed over them?

Not since 2003; everything since then has just the sound of the matches, and crappy commentary for the finals

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thanks mcnerd. Thats the most indepth someones ever explained it to me.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Cool guard stuff, my guard is very bad and I should feel bad. One thing I'm trying to do much more is use bump sweeps to set up stuff, trying to minimize the time people spend postured up in my guard while I don't do anything.

Another thing to look for both for posture control and to set up attacks, particularly in the gi is to get an underhook and anchor your arm to your body either by gripping across your stomach or your far hip in no gi or a lapel with the gi. Having that arm allows you to open your guard and to start bringing your opponent's elbow away from his knee and his body in general, and that kind of space allows you to set up attacks. From there you can look for all your normal guard submissions, the armbar, triangle, omoplata, and maybe a cross choke if you can get at the guy's far lapel. Grabbing the near lapel allows you to start bringing the elbow back across your body, looks like what Frank Mir did to Pete Williams, and that elbow movement forces the guy's posture down to the outside, setting up an armbar/shoulder lock if you keep the arm position and move your legs for an armbar.

VV Yes, the overhook, that's what I meant.

edit 2: Also you can use the overhook to set up an armdrag as long as you keep your other arm (the not-hook) inside of your opponent's arms. If he tries to free his arm he should look to rotate his lower arm and swim it over your stomach, so stuff it down and drag it across.

Grab Your Foot! fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 13, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Cool guard stuff, my guard is very bad and I should feel bad. One thing I'm trying to do much more is use bump sweeps to set up stuff, trying to minimize the time people spend postured up in my guard while I don't do anything.

Another thing to look for both for posture control and to set up attacks, particularly in the gi is to get an underhook and anchor your arm to your body either by gripping across your stomach or your far hip in no gi or a lapel with the gi.

I'm pretty sure you mean "overhook" here, or else I'm real confused.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Tips on guard:

Don't focus on collar chokes or various setups involving using the gi aside from minor grip variations (such as gripping the collar when overhooking) when you're learning the guard. While these are fine techniques it's not in your best interest to diverge your gi and nogi game so early, build a core game of a series of techniques that are available in both settings.

Don't attack "head-on". Roughly speaking it's advantageous for the guy in your guard if his hips line up with yours, and it's advantageous for you if you're off to an angle. Get in the habit of attacking from an angle (and when you're in someones guard get in the habit of recentering).

Give up the closed guard if it's already too late. If you're opponent is already opening your guard, don't wait for him to pin your leg to the ground and start his pass. Immediately transition to open guard, scoot your hips back, put your knees and soles where you want them etc. Staying ahead of your opponent is always advantageous and applies defensively as much at it does offensively.

In my opinion you should focus on these techniques in the very beginning:
Hip bump sweep (properly done with your leg blocking his knee) and respond with kimura if he posts, also practice how to reestablish guard if it fails.
Flower sweep with direct transition to s-mount and armbar (go forward to belly-down preferably instead of back)
Armbar and triangle setups where you can chain them in case the first one fails.

widunder
May 2, 2002
A heads-up: so far ADCC has confirmed that they've invited Leozinho, Ryan Hall and Roger to this year's event.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

nemoulette posted:

A heads-up: so far ADCC has confirmed that they've invited Leozinho, Ryan Hall and Roger to this year's event.

Leo's fighting up a weight class(76 Kg instead of 66), with new weigh in rules(same day weigh ins, possible re-weigh ins where you can't be more than 2.2 kg heavier than your original weigh in) you can expect to see a lot of guys bumping up a division(don't expect to see Pablo Popovitch at 76 kg).

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
Perhaps with Einemo's schedule suddenly freed, we could see him show back up. Plus it'd give Zuffa something else to say about him.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

KryonikMessiah posted:

Perhaps with Einemo's schedule suddenly freed, we could see him show back up. Plus it'd give Zuffa something else to say about him.

?

Did I miss something? I thought he got a contract with the ufc or something?

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Yep. He was supposed to fight Carwin but that got cancelled due to Carwin having to fill in for Lesnar. Hasn't Dos Anjos competed in ADCC while under UFC contract?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Im pretty sure GSP, Matt Hughes and Newton may have competed at ADCC while under contract to UFC

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Hughes and Newton did so pre-Zuffa, but GSP, Diego, Kurt Pellegrino, Okami, and some more people I can't remember have all done so while under Zuffa contract.

The deal is they don't care if employees take part in grappling competitions, but they don't take ADCC into account at all when scheduling fights, so guys often have to pull out of the tournament due to it not fitting into their training camp schedule.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Yea, Marquardt and Maia were supposed to compete in the Last ADCC, but they both had to pull out. They were scheduled to fight each other a month after ADCC, so it would have been kind of cool to see them compete against each other.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Zuffa has allowed contracted fighters to fight MMA fights in other organizations too, so they're really not unreasonable about that kind of stuff.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Dante posted:

Zuffa has allowed contracted fighters to fight MMA fights in other organizations too, so they're really not unreasonable about that kind of stuff.

I am assuming you are smart enough to mean this as sarcasm.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

He's -technically- correct, but only in a really pedantic sense. The only case I can think of is Houston Alexander.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
and Chuck in PRIDE which completely burned the UFC and was a major factor in their decision to not cross promote in the future.

The point is that grappling tournaments are not MMA and Zuffa has always had the policy that if you want to do one and it doesn't get in the way of their schedule, knock yourself out.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Thought so. It's not really competition for them and if anything it just adds more bragging rights if a UFC contracted guy does well.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Plus, there is a lot less risk of getting hurt in grappling, you don't want a name fighter out six months because he broke his hand fighting in some random Z-League.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Xguard86 posted:

Joe Doerkson was allowed to fight in a small Canadian promotion for a fight that was scheduled before he got the call to fight Lawlor. He had to win to stay in the UFC, but since he did they let him stay. I think Zuffa gets it as long as there is no cross-promotion.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Zuffa allows non-important names to fight in other organizations when they have trouble getting them fights within a certain timeframe, it's not talked about much but it happens. It has happened a bit with the deeper divisions like lightweight now, Danny Downes was allowed to fight in a local promotion on may 6th for example.

Dante fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 13, 2011

widunder
May 2, 2002

Konstantin posted:

Plus, there is a lot less risk of getting hurt in grappling, you don't want a name fighter out six months because he broke his hand fighting in some random Z-League.
I dunno if this is strictly true, grappling can be pretty drat injury-frequent.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Ok, the doctor got back to me. It's NOT staph or that other nasty rear end thing. Doc says the recent warmer/humid weather + stress from work made my eczema break out in a bad way. But he also said the eczema is gonna make me more susceptible to the staph and stuff, so I'm gonna have to be extra careful with cleaning/sparring partners. No holes in my body! Yay !

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah. Careful. A staph breakout can really screw up your finances via keeping you out of work, since it's quite, quite contagious. I'd clean the hell out of your house.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had like 10-20 recurring staph infections 3 or so years ago (nasty boils). In addition to antibiotics the doc recommended washing clothes in HOT water and using a clean towel to dry everyday. I also took bleach bathes for good measure cause gently caress MRSA.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tesilential posted:

I had like 10-20 recurring staph infections 3 or so years ago (nasty boils). In addition to antibiotics the doc recommended washing clothes in HOT water and using a clean towel to dry everyday. I also took bleach bathes for good measure cause gently caress MRSA.

gently caress MSRA, ringworm, mat herpes, impetigo, and all that other poo poo. Also gently caress anyone who comes to class knowing they might have any of the above. Pajama hugging should be disease free.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Thoguh posted:

Pajama hugging should be disease free.

If only normative ethics could be made into law~

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Alright so BJJ, Judo, and Sambo goons, I'm looking for books/dvds on the following topics:

1. Drills (I've heard excellent things about Galvao's book.)

2. Advanced age (One of my fellow blue belts, who has room for improvement, but you know makes the effort, is 63 years old.) Besides Roy Harris' BJJ over 40 dvd, is there anything out there remotely covering this?

3. Grip fighting

Any suggestions?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 15, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
From what I've seen Galvao's book looks awesome. Additionally Jason Scully(Lloyd Irvin black belt, runs the grapplers guide forums) but out a couple sweet youtube videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjP50SOwK4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNBb-fWV1w

I don't really get Roy Harris's BJJ over 40 dvd. I'm sure the material in it is good, but it just seems like a bunch of begginerish stuff that's just as applicable to a 20 year old as a 60 year old. There are a lot of guys 40+ at my gym(several over 60) and the main difference between how I train(25 years old no responsibilities to speak of) and how they train is frequency and intensity. Old guys may have more trouble with some positions(going inverted for example) but by and large the jiu jitsu of older guys at my gym looks like regular jiu jitsu.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Senor P. posted:

3. Grip fighting

Neil Adams put out a masterclass book on grips that is pretty good. Here's a link to a description.

http://www.martialartstrainingvideos.net/product_info.php?products_id=1203

I've never purchased from this store, it was just the first return I got on a google search that had a picture.

On the topic of the Masterclass series, they are all good, but I'd particularly recommend the "Russian Judo" one to any BJJ goon who wanted to improve their standup but not go too far outside of their comfort range.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 15, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

On the topic of the Masterclass series, they are all good, but I'd particularly recommend the "Russian Judo" one to any BJJ goon who wanted to improve their standup but not go too far outside of their comfort range.
I LOVE that Russian Judo video. I watch it all the time.

Our gym had a Judo tournament today, competing against other clubs and we did really well. First in all divisions but one. I was surprised at how good our guys are in comparison to the clubs around us. Our blue belts were on the same level as their brown belts. One of our blue belts went undefeated and he only faced brown belts, and he went in the heavyweight division and hes probably about 70kg, hardly close to a heavyweight but he got the gold. It was a really good experience seeing as it was my first tournament I've been to. I video'd every match that our guys were in but I won't post them here, as they're not hugely exciting unless you know the people in them. But it was a really cool feeling and the atmosphere was great. It was hosted at our club so we were on home turf. One of the instructors said I'll be competing in this tournament next year so now I've got something to look forward to.

One thing I noticed was all the brown belts played really defensive and the matches were sort of boring, but the orange and green belt matches were awesome, big ippons and lots of action. Is that the norm? I assume the lower belts would lose more to counters right?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

I LOVE that Russian Judo video. I watch it all the time.

Masterclass has videos too? I was referring to the book series.

quote:

One thing I noticed was all the brown belts played really defensive and the matches were sort of boring, but the orange and green belt matches were awesome, big ippons and lots of action. Is that the norm? I assume the lower belts would lose more to counters right?

Sometimes you do see bigger techniques at the lower ranks because people don't know enough to block a properly executed throw. As far as the upper ranks, if the brown/black belt guys have been competing against each other for years, which is often the case at a small local tournament, they all know each other's techniques and that leads to very defensive matches.

Also, I get the impression you didn't compete. Any reason? We always encourage students to compete as soon as they know how to fall without hurting themselves. All the drills and techniques we teach make so much more sense to guys after they have competed once or twice.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 15, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

Masterclass has videos too? I was referring to the book series.

Sometimes you do see bigger techniques at the lower ranks because people don't know enough to block a properly executed throw. As far as the upper ranks, if the brown/black belt guys have been competing against each other for years, which is often the case at a small local tournament, they all know each other's techniques and that leads to very defensive matches.

Also, I get the impression you didn't compete. Any reason? We always encourage students to compete as soon as they know how to fall without hurting themselves. All the drills and techniques we teach make so much more sense to guys after they have competed once or twice.
Oh sorry, I'm thinking of another Russian Judo, the video by Igor Yakimov. Probably separate to the one you're talking about.

And no, I didn't compete. My club didn't invite me to compete but it seemed like there were no belts lower than orange there anyway, but come to think of it, I didn't even know it was on until they asked for volunteers to clean the place for the 'upcoming tournament' (which I did). I did sort of want to but I didn't push the issue or speak to anyone about it anything. I'm not real confident in myself either so that probably would have led to a poor showing of what skills I had picked up since starting.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

I'm not real confident in myself either so that probably would have led to a poor showing of what skills I had picked up since starting.

Everybody loses, but getting that first Ippon in competition is a huge step in Judo. Everything just starts to make more sense after that happens.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

Everybody loses, but getting that first Ippon in competition is a huge step in Judo. Everything just starts to make more sense after that happens.
So I've heard. The more I think about it, the more I wish I could have competed and I do find it strange that no one told me about it except to ask for volunteers to clean the place but oh well. Grading coming up anyway so I'll just focus on that. When I bought my white belt when I first started I bought a yellow belt at the same time as I knew I'd need one sooner or later. Only 2 bucks each from Salvation army. I'm regularly getting throws in randori now even against higher belts. Some of them are a bit sloppy but some aren't and its great for my confidence. I remember just a few months ago getting all depressed and emo and thinking 'I'm never going to get any of this' and I hadn't completed a single throw in randori and all I had to do was just stop being a whiny dick and suck it up and start listening to our instructors better and thats done more for my Judo than any stupid amount of push ups or videos I watch.

Things I have to work on are: uki goshi, sasae tsurikomi ashi and having strong wrists and loose elbows.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Trip report:

Today I competed at the 2011 Jean Jacques Machado Invitational, I competed at blue belt middle heavy(181-194.5).

I won my first match pretty comfortably 10-0. I had planned on setting up a proper guard pull to de la riva, but he was being pretty aggressive looking for takedowns and I'm not comfortable on the feet at all, so I just sat down once I established a collar grip. I got half guard and swept him pretty easily landing in his half guard where I quickly passed with a knee cut pass. I started to hunt for a kimura but he was able to scramble back to his feet, so I jumped guard again and scissor swept him. I then forced half guard, switched my hips and secured another guard pass. I was looking for a collar choke when time ran out.

Second round I pull guard and my opponent decides he wants to play on bottom so he pulls guard from there(this wasn't a simultaneous guard pull like you see a lot at lighter weights, I had fully established bottom and he was on top, so when he sat back I got two points). I landed on top in his half guard but couldn't look to pass because for a while because he was super aggressive with looking for collar chokes, but I defended them and set up a decent pass attempt. Unfortunately I wasn't able to complete the pass and he regained full guard, and got a decent triangle on me. I was able to posture out of it pretty well but then for some dumb loving reason I decided it was a good idea to sit down on my rear end. So I got tapped. It's been six hours and I still don't have a clue why I thought it was a good idea to abandon posture and sit down.

At this tournament I handled my nerves better than I did at the pan ams, but still not as well as I would have liked. I was crazy nervous in the hours before my first match, and the only thing I can do to calm down is break a sweat. And of course, in my second match I had a huge brain fart. Can anyone recommend some books on keeping calm/general sports psychology?

edit: split into two posts

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 16, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Also in news that the rest of the jiu jitsu world actually cares about the Brazilian Nationals were this weekend(results here). The Brazilian Nationals aren't as big a deal as they once were with many of the top guys no longer living in Brazil, and some of the top competitors in Brazil sitting it out since it's so close to the Mundials. However there were a couple of important matches, the biggest being Leandro Pereira beating Michael Langhi for the second time in a row to win the lightweight division. Leandro also beat Michael at last months Abu Dhabi Pro, ending Michaels undefeated streak that dated all the way back to 2009. On his way to the finals Leandro also beat two of the divisions best competitors JT Torres and Agusto Mendes. In the last two months Leandro has gone from relatively unknown, to the top of one of the best divisions in the sport.

Middle weight was as usual, pretty stacked. But with none of the very best guys competing it's hard to say how significant Danial Garcia's win was.

Finally Michael Wilson became only the second non Brazilian(after Rafael Lovato Jr) to win the Brazilian Nationals(though I guess maybe non Brazilians shouldn't be competing in it). He's also the first Australian to win the Brazilian Nationals(I think it's also the first time an Australian has medaled in the black belt division of an IBJJF event).

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Tonight at Judo Sensei invited me to grade next week to yellow belt and then compete the week after at Penrith, Sydney in the adult novice division. Looks like I'll get to compete after all :D God, how the hell am I going to sleep tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Nierbo posted:

Tonight at Judo Sensei invited me to grade next week to yellow belt and then compete the week after at Penrith, Sydney in the adult novice division. Looks like I'll get to compete after all :D God, how the hell am I going to sleep tonight.

Congratulations on reaching a milestone, but condolences on your impending trip to Penrith.