Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Amrosorma posted:

I'm looking for ARPGs/RPGish games that have a heavy emphasis on looting (Diablo as an example of the former and Borderlands for the latter). Bonus if they're on Steam.

These are the games I already have :)

You have like all the games. All of them. Any reason why you've barely played Titan Quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You have like all the games. All of them. Any reason why you've barely played Titan Quest?

Like most of the RPGs in my library, I played (and finished) it at launch before it was on Steam. Like movies, I have a hard time playing games I've already finished :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Amrosorma posted:

Like most of the RPGs in my library, I played (and finished) it at launch before it was on Steam. Like movies, I have a hard time playing games I've already finished :(

At this point I think it's best to just wait. There's Grim Dawn, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, and Dungeon Siege 3 all possibly coming out this year. DS3 is just a month away.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

At this point I think it's best to just wait. There's Grim Dawn, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, and Dungeon Siege 3 all possibly coming out this year. DS3 is just a month away.

Oh yeah, DS3! I haven't heard the hottest things about the first two, but Obsidian's developing it so I'm very interested.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Don't forget about Mythos. It just came out and is a free-to-play Diablo MMO essentially. Haven't put enough time into it to decide how good it is though.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I often don't get around to buying games I'm interested in until way WAYYYY after launch. For example, I just bought Demigod.

I was thinking about picking up Alpha Protocol and I was wondering: is it any good/ did all the crap get patched out of it?

Additional: Can anyone recommend me some fun wii games where the motion controls add to the experience? Or a Wii boxing game that handles as well as Wii Sports boxing?

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Trollologist posted:

I often don't get around to buying games I'm interested in until way WAYYYY after launch. For example, I just bought Demigod.

I was thinking about picking up Alpha Protocol and I was wondering: is it any good/ did all the crap get patched out of it?

Additional: Can anyone recommend me some fun wii games where the motion controls add to the experience? Or a Wii boxing game that handles as well as Wii Sports boxing?

AP is well worth a shot; it really rewards multiple playthroughs so you'll get your moneys worth, no bother. The action segments can be a bit clunky, but if you've played Deus Ex then you'll adapt quickly, and the "talky" aspects of the game make up for shortcomings elsewhere. To make things relatively painless, stick with pistols+stealth for your first run, and don't play on hard until you've unlocked the veteran class.

As for Wii games, the best waggle-oriented one is still Metroid Prime 3, which isn't quite as good as 1+2...which isn't a problem if you can get a hold of the Trilogy for a reasonable price. If you haven't played the Prime games, rectify matters immediately.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Alpha Protocol: Just keep in mind that this game is not a shooter. Don't approach it as such. This is important.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HenryEx posted:

Alpha Protocol: Just keep in mind that this game is not a shooter. Don't approach it as such. This is important.

I was going to play it like I would hitman or tenchu with a lot of sneaking a body hiding.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Alpha Protocol is criminally underrated. It's what would happen if all the crap Bioware spout about "choice" congealed into its own game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Trollologist posted:

I was going to play it like I would hitman or tenchu with a lot of sneaking a body hiding.

In addition to the game not being a shooter, it's also not a stealth game. You can't move bodies, they just vanish after a period of time. The stealth mechanics are really ramshackle. Basically every part of the game that isn't picking a dialog option is complete poo poo, which is why it was panned.

It's still worth a shot if you get it on sale. After playing through it a couple times, I can see why people like it. It's just that the gameplay is so drat bad. And no, it never got fixed in patches.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I don't think Alpha Protocol's gameplay is bad, I like it a lot. It's got flaws, sure, but busting into a room with active camo and stealth-murdering 3 guys with your bare hands then shooting the last guy in the face with a shotgun before he knows what's up never gets old.

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there any decent Rpg games which fit the following criteria:

- Have actual, non-ascii graphics

- Tons of customization, including itemization / stats

- Good, engrossing story

- Isometric view preferred

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Phatzilla posted:

- Good, engrossing story

Fallout 1+2, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate 1+2, maybe Icewind Dale 1+2 and so on. Or are you asking for something other than the obvious ones?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cray posted:

Fallout 1+2, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate 1+2, maybe Icewind Dale 1+2 and so on. Or are you asking for something other than the obvious ones?

Dude, you forgot Torment, Vampire the Masquerade, Most of the Wizardry and Ultima Series', really anything here

Seriously there's so soo many choices for this (titan quest) it's actually kind of hard not to think of any (freedom force).

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Phatzilla posted:

- Good, engrossing story

Most of the games by spiderweb software fulfill that, though "good story" is more subjective than the rest of those. They're all old-school turn-based games with basic 2-D sprite graphics.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Bluetooth human being posted:

It's not multiplayer, but Fallout Tactics sounds kind of like what you want. I don't remember any real base management, mostly just choose your guys and go.

Disgaea is a completely different beast from other strategy games, where it's more grind until you can kill the guy and less figure out who to deploy and what skills to use.

Perfect!

Picked it up on steam (even though it was cheaper on gog.com I discovered later :downs:) and this is great. Thanks for the recommendation!

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm looking for a PC RPG (action or otherwise) I can break, like Morrowind: sneaking around and finding overpowered weapons early, crafting a random spell/equipment combination that makes you unstoppable for a good chunk of the game, killing guards to take their awesome armor. All that fuckery that's been patched or balanced out in newer games. I'm a munchkin and I admit it.

Games I loved:
Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga
Neverwinter Nights + Expansions
NWN2: MotB (played original and Zehir, they were okay)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Baldur's Gate 2 (although I don't have the time for a game that long anymore)
Borderlands

Games that were 'meh':
Gothic 4 - Combat isn't bad, but it's incredibly linear. Secrets consist of 'collect 30 hidden objects to get a powerful weapon'. Boring.
Witcher: EE - I can't really say what I didn't like about this game, except that nothing about it was particularly interesting.

Games I've hated:
Fallout 3/NV -> Combat sucks, and the game requires too much leveling to be fun.
Oblivion -> I could never get into it. It's ugly, combat sucks, and even with fan patches the thrill of finding a random dungeon and getting overpowered loot is gone. I'd be willing to try it again if there's a patch that would adjust it so that those random dungeons lying around would have great (unique) gear at the end. I last tried this game back in '08 and none of the patches then would fix the hosed loot tables.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 16, 2011

FrenchandNotFrench
Jun 3, 2010

by T. Finn
I'm looking for a game that I can play in the background at work. I just signed up for Urban Dead but the action point system is sort of annoying. I like how urban dead is solely text based so I can leave it running in my office without having to worry about my boss. I'd prefer a game where I develop a character rather than a nation building/RTS style game. I've glanced around at browser games and seen Pardus and a few others but I'm really sold on any of them. Both SP/MP is fine so long as it has some hooks.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Internet Meme posted:

I'm looking for a PC RPG (action or otherwise) I can break, like Morrowind: sneaking around and finding overpowered weapons early, crafting a random spell/equipment combination that makes you unstoppable for a good chunk of the game, killing guards to take their awesome armor. All that fuckery that's been patched or balanced out in newer games. I'm a munchkin and I admit it.

That's quite a list. There's a few more games I can think of, but you've probably already played them, considering all you've already played.

There's Fallout 1 and 2, of course. There's also Arcanum - same developers as Vampire: Bloodlines, and nearly as well-written, with a cool setting to boot. Look up the thread if you haven't played it already.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

doctor iono posted:

That's quite a list. There's a few more games I can think of, but you've probably already played them, considering all you've already played.

There's Fallout 1 and 2, of course. There's also Arcanum - same developers as Vampire: Bloodlines, and nearly as well-written, with a cool setting to boot. Look up the thread if you haven't played it already.

Arcanum was a fantastic game, much much more suited to my tastes than the Fallout games. It really does allow you to get your fuckery hat on and screw everyone over :D

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Internet Meme posted:

Games I loved:
Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga
Neverwinter Nights + Expansions
NWN2: MotB (played original and Zehir, they were okay)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Baldur's Gate 2 (although I don't have the time for a game that long anymore)
Borderlands

Games that were 'meh':
Gothic 4 - Combat isn't bad, but it's incredibly linear. Secrets consist of 'collect 30 hidden objects to get a powerful weapon'. Boring.
Witcher: EE - I can't really say what I didn't like about this game, except that nothing about it was particularly interesting.

Games I've hated:
Fallout 3/NV -> Combat sucks, and the game requires too much leveling to be fun.
Oblivion -> I could never get into it. It's ugly, combat sucks, and even with fan patches the thrill of finding a random dungeon and getting overpowered loot is gone. I'd be willing to try it again if there's a patch that would adjust it so that those random dungeons lying around would have great (unique) gear at the end. I last tried this game back in '08 and none of the patches then would fix the hosed loot tables.

Two Worlds is probably the definitive 'break it over your knees' game that you can cheese and end up slaughtering the whole world because you can.

Knights of the Old Republic 1&2 has some force skills that make the game trivial if you choose them.

You could try the original Divine Divinity. It's not the easiest game to break, but it's definitely possible. It plays like Diablo, and the game doesn't really pick up until you get out of the first town (actually that's the same for all my recommendations, but this one is probably the worse offender).

And I'll second Arcanum and Fallout 2. Both are definitely breakable, but not in a very obvious sort of way the first time through. Second time through (or just a restart) becomes a lot easier since you know how to bend the games to your will.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

In addition to the game not being a shooter, it's also not a stealth game. You can't move bodies, they just vanish after a period of time. The stealth mechanics are really ramshackle. Basically every part of the game that isn't picking a dialog option is complete poo poo, which is why it was panned.

Believe it or not, in my opinion Alpha Protocol is most satisfyingly played as a close quarters combat beat-em-up. You should also take pistols but only for boss fights. The gameplay itself is actually quite fun as a stealth/melee character as long as you realize that stealth sucks donkey dick until you've put a bunch of points into it.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 17, 2011

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

FrenchandNotFrench posted:

I'm looking for a game that I can play in the background at work. I just signed up for Urban Dead but the action point system is sort of annoying. I like how urban dead is solely text based so I can leave it running in my office without having to worry about my boss. I'd prefer a game where I develop a character rather than a nation building/RTS style game. I've glanced around at browser games and seen Pardus and a few others but I'm really sold on any of them. Both SP/MP is fine so long as it has some hooks.

I want this as well.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

FrenchandNotFrench posted:

Sounds like you want a MUD. There are dozens, if not hundreds, out there and they're almost all free to play. They all function kind of like WoW or some other MMO except without graphics. The only problem might be that most of them heavily benefit from connecting through a client, which you'll need to have on your office machine. Here's a list of MUDs to get you started.

http://www.topmudsites.com/

Ymel
Mar 16, 2007
I am looking for a hybrid between and RPG and a Grand Strategy Game. Something like Crusader Kings meets Total War meets Sid Meier's Pirates. I would like to have a hero that I create who rules some sort of kingdom (or aspires to), conducts a lot of diplomacy and trade, sometimes does goofy flavor stuff and occasionally goes to combat. Is there anything like this out there? Bonus if there's a family tree, extra bonus if the combat is not completely terrible.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Ymel posted:

I am looking for a hybrid between and RPG and a Grand Strategy Game. Something like Crusader Kings meets Total War meets Sid Meier's Pirates. I would like to have a hero that I create who rules some sort of kingdom (or aspires to), conducts a lot of diplomacy and trade, sometimes does goofy flavor stuff and occasionally goes to combat. Is there anything like this out there? Bonus if there's a family tree, extra bonus if the combat is not completely terrible.

It's an old DOS game, but Sword of The Samurai. It's sort of like a Japanese Sid Meier's Pirates, except it moves to a war-game strategy thing later on, as you become more powerful. Also includes descendants in case your dude dies, and you can create a long and illustrious family history if you want to put the time in. You can pick it up on Abandonia now.

Ymel
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion, but I was looking for something more modern. I felt old though because I have actually played this game on my x86 pc back in '94 :(

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I'm looking for a game to play. I find that most games are really mundane and repetitive. Generally, I respond to games based off of community, competition and other aspects like that. I'm into nice-ish graphics, so I probably won't want to play a game that was made before 2003 at the very least.

Games that I've enjoyed:
ut2003
UT2004 (competitively)
Quake 4 (competitively)
WoW (arena & end game raiding)
TF2 (pubstar)
CoD:MW2 (pubstar)
rose online (fun with buddies)
sc2 (kinda fun sometimes)
Stronghold (was fun when I was a teenager)
quakelive

Games that were meh:
Portal (was okish)
HL:2 co-op mode

Games that suck that I've played:
LoL
HoN
Any super grindy korean MMO (2moons, silkroad, etc.)
Most single player FPS or w.e
counter strike (boring)
spore (boring single player)
Dragon Age (boring single player)
L4D:2 (boring multiplayer)

Yeah, I don't really have a clue what I want. I just want something really fun, that I can get into quickly and start enjoying myself. I generally get bored really quickly of anything single player against computers, I prefer playing against other people, but it's not entirely necessary I guess if the game is really sweet. Thanks!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Alizee posted:

I'm looking for a game to play.

Take a look at Section 8: Prejudice. I too am a fan of the old Quakey games and have gotten bored pretty quick with about all "modern style" shooters that have come out since CSS or so. S8 is mad cheap at $15, has big open maps, jetpacks, vehicles, rokkits, objectives, electro cannons, dakka, and I overall have a lot of fun playing. There's unlock crap so you don't start out with some of the more OP (strong) stuff, but it doesn't take long to get and the gameplay is complex enough to warrant some time feeling everything out anyhow. The community isn't huge, the social aspect of being able to easily play with friends and people using mics and all that jazz could use some tweaking, but there are some competitive folks/clans around. In my dream world this will be a sleeper hit that a shitload of people realize is great and start playing. Either way, hey, it's $15 that I've already gotten my money's worth out of. Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3392228&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Edit: Alize is goddamn tasty too :thumbsup:

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Thanks I checked it out and watched a few demos but it didn't really interest me that much :(

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Let me know if ya find something that does kick up your interest as I've been unsuccessfully waiting on someone to reskin Q3 with purty graphics and take my money :/. Where's mah Starcraft 2 of shooters.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

teh_Broseph posted:

Let me know if ya find something that does kick up your interest as I've been unsuccessfully waiting on someone to reskin Q3 with purty graphics and take my money :/. Where's mah Starcraft 2 of shooters.

wasn't that called q4 p.much lol?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Ymel posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was looking for something more modern. I felt old though because I have actually played this game on my x86 pc back in '94 :(

Sorry, I'd love more hybrid-type games too, but they don't seem to come out these days. Have you tried Mount and Blade? That's a decent hybrid of personal RPG, action combat, and battle strategy.

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.
I am looking for a good laptop game. I am going on a road trip and want something to entertain me. I would love a good strategy or wargame. I play a lot of Civ, but I want something different.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Superhaus posted:

I am looking for a good laptop game. I am going on a road trip and want something to entertain me. I would love a good strategy or wargame. I play a lot of Civ, but I want something different.

Xcom would probably do you. It's up on Steam, and you can check the thread [url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376637]here if you have any problems running it.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Superhaus posted:

Alpha Centauri? Might be a bitch to find these days though.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Can anyone recommend a cool RPG in the vein of FFX (in terms of story/characterization, great battle system and preferably decent/modern graphics)? I seem to like jrpgs, but if there's a good game out there for me I don't care about its category.

System doesn't matter, here are some I've played to give you an idea of what I might like (mostly favorite to least-fav):

Good
Final Fantasy X
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Tales of Phantasia
Xenogears
Super Mario RPG
Deus Ex
Vampire: Masquerade Bloodlines

Mediocre
Persona 3
Demons Souls
Disgaea/Phantom Brave/La Pucelle
KOTOR 1 & 2
Chrono Cross
Valkyria Chronicles
Final Fantasy 1-12
Grandia 2
Terranigma
Lost Odyssey
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Skies of Arcadia
Kingdom Hearts
Tactics Ogre
Xenosagas
Final Fantasy Tactics

No Good
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Jeane D'Arc
Vagrant Story
Disgaea 2
Mass Effect
Final Fantasy 13
.hack
Fable
Planescape Torment
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Age

Games that look cool are Last Story and Legend of Mana, but I don't know much about them... sorry for the huge list, hope it can help narrow down a cool game, though.

permabanned
Aug 12, 2008

優しい野菜
Could someone recommend me older(before 2005) FPS and RTS games that place the protagonist on the "negative/baddie" side of the conflicts - about Korean War, Indochina war, Vietnam War, Beirut, Congo, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Smoove J posted:

Can anyone recommend a cool RPG in the vein of FFX (in terms of story/characterization, great battle system and preferably decent/modern graphics)?
Dude, you have weird taste in games (kotor is not mediocre :colbert: ).

Anyway, since you like FFX a bunch, have you played FFX: Lord of the rings edition?

How about FFX: Megaman?
They're basically LOTR and Megaman games made on the FFX combat engine. Both of them are very jrpg-esque and I had a pretty good time with both of them. Also, Tales of Phantasia has a sequel on the Wii, I hated the poo poo out of the characters, but the gameplay's pretty similar to the first one so you may want to check it out.