Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Was it even possible in your mind he would come back?

i doubt it. but its interesting, there was a gym in our area that was taking some of our business that was run by a guy with no boxing experience, just a big fatass chain-smoking biker dude who marketed his gym as being "real" fighting, which worked pretty well since my coach (BJJ black belt, golden gloves winner, 30-5 or so record pro kickboxing in Holland) comes off as a nice guy who likes to teach kid's classes, womens classes etc instead of Badass Street Fighting

when the badass gym closed, most of the guys training there came to my gym to try the free trial week. 90 percent didnt make it through the week without getting injured, 75 percent would stop halfway through the warmup and complain that they 'really need to quit smoking', but about 2 or 3 of them are still training and turned out to be pretty decent guys. so you never know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

HATE MONDAYS posted:

'really need to quit smoking'

You just need to be smoking the right things the right way! :v:

But yeah, those kind of places tend to attract a type of person that might not fit in a normal friendly environment. We had a muay-thai club that did some grappling that got shut down for being a hells angels front and experienced the same thing you did. But, between those that stuck around, those that didn't get thrown out for having violent assault on their records (cops called my instructor exactly one day after they'd been to their first training. I guess someone was under surveillance!) a couple of the guys actually turned out to be really nice, and have been training with us for a year or so now.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

...those that didn't get thrown out for having violent assault on their records (cops called my instructor exactly one day after they'd been to their first training. I guess someone was under surveillance!...

Okay, so kind of off topic but I have to ask...is it law or policy that people with assault on their record can't train? I mean, I think it's a loving great idea that if someone is the kind of guy who's always looking for a fight and is a violent individual, the last thing you want to do is improve their skill set...I've just never heard of this before.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I can't speak for any other clubs, but the "no violent crimes"-bit is a part of our club charter. This is mostly so that we have a solid reason (not that we'd explicitly need one) to kick someone out if they're a violent douchebag. I mean, obviously, we're not bound by law or anything, and if a guy wants to train, and he has a violent assault charge from two decades ago and is a nice, stable and reformed guy, no-one is likely to tell him to get out.

Also, you don't want the negative press of a guy who beats people up on the street training with you, especially not if he goes out and does it again, regardless if he uses techniques he learned from you or not.

For instance, one of the guys we got a phone call about was an enforcer for the hell's angels, and he'd last been in jail less than a year prior, and had several other stints before that. The likelyhood of him being a repeat offender is just too big to be worth even considering giving a chance.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Xguard86 posted:

Nothing is better than my bjj coach who will grab someone, have you demonstrate the problem, then break it down in front of you for 10 minutes, then offer 3 or 4 solutions, plus ten answers for questions you didn't ask but should have.

Jiu-jitsu computer.

Your coach owns, I wish I had people like that training me :(

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
hells angels tell the best stories and the gym is the safest environment to listen to one

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
At my old school I trained with a dude covered in Mexican gang tattoos. He was older and probably not an active banger, but he got some bugeyes in the locker room. Nice guy though, very laid back, I'm guessing he's seen, maybe done, some poo poo that keeps bjj matches in perspective.

The ghost who walks
Mar 22, 2008
I've been wondering this for a while; is there a book that explains general theories of BJJ in relation to particular positions and moves? I'm not looking for a strict instructional move boook ala Theory and Technique (Renzo & Royler Gracie), rather something that goes into the thought process that should be applied to any position and gameplan.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I don't really read grappling books, but your question reminds me of this article I read and enjoyed very much a while back: http://www.smallaxebjj.com/2009/04/04/mental-revelations-of-the-progressing-grappler/

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

"The ghost who walks" posted:

I've been wondering this for a while; is there a book that explains general theories of BJJ in relation to particular positions and moves? I'm not looking for a strict instructional move boook ala Theory and Technique (Renzo & Royler Gracie), rather something that goes into the thought process that should be applied to any position and gameplan.

http://www.beginningbjj.com

The eBook covers the 6 main positions, why they're good and where you might like to transition to once you get to a certain position.

It's in the OP for a reason.

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow
2 years ago, I moved to a new town for a summer internship, and immediately looked up a new BJJ place. My first day there I'm chilling by the front desk waiting for class to start, and this huge dude rolls in still in his leather motorcycle jacket and badass boots. Shaved head, tattoos, probably at least 6' 2 and 240+ lbs.
Very intimidating.

Turns out he's a solid blue, who's also a really nice guy and an awesome training partner. I'm about 150 lbs, but always enjoyed rolling him. He was very good at turning the tempo up and down to match your intensity, and using his weight effectively but not in a way that wound up hurting me too bad haha. Even though I've moved pretty far away, whenever we run into each other at seminars/tournaments we're still friendly.

First impressions can be misleading. I always err on the side of caution when meeting new training partners, but sometimes the guys who look like meat heads actually turn out to be awesome.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I was wondering whether anyone could tell me about Hapkido? I don't know much and I'm kind of interested in it but I was wondering if someone could let me know more. I read its more MMA based but know very little.

Jose fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 14, 2011

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Ashenai posted:

Your coach owns, I wish I had people like that training me :(

Me too. My old instructor was kind of like that, actually, but not in a good way. We'd be doing technique drills, and if you made one small mistake he would stop you, explain to you what you did wrong, even if it was one of those "oops I realize what I did" mistakes. The next 10 minutes would be a lecture with no drilling or practice. Then he'd get sidetracked and we'd transition into a different technique without ever finishing what we were working on in the first place. Drove me loving crazy.

He did the same thing when we rolled in class if we stalemated in a position for longer than 15 seconds. I figured the whole point of free rolling was to figure out how to do stuff when there was someone who didn't want you to do that stuff, but I guess I was wrong.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Jose posted:

I was wondering whether anyone could tell me about Hapkido? I don't know much and I'm kind of interested in it but I was wondering if someone could let me know more. I read its more MMA based but know very little.

It has nothing to do with MMA. It is more or less, Korean aikido. (The techniques are very very similar.) Although to be fair there a fair amount of creativity in it.

If you want to go do it, try it out and see if you enjoy it.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 14, 2011

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
Hey, what's the general consensus on Systema? There's a place near me that teaches it, and it sounds ok, but I tend to be suspicious of anything claiming to be hardcore military killing skills. Just thought I'd get an idea before I go check it out.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grJYYGjr7Gw

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Dr. Miracle posted:

Hey, what's the general consensus on Systema? There's a place near me that teaches it, and it sounds ok, but I tend to be suspicious of anything claiming to be hardcore military killing skills. Just thought I'd get an idea before I go check it out.

Systema is for you if you want the russian version of yellow bamboo kung fu; e.g. mystical powers that only work on classmates that have been coming for awhile.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
A martial art where I use oxygen instead of muscles? Sign me up!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jose posted:

Hapkido isn't standardized, so it is going to vary wildly by club. It might basically be Aikido, it might be Taekwondo with some kicks, it might have more of a law enforcement (joint locks, etc) bent, it all depends on the instructor. None of them have anything to do with MMA.

Of all the martial arts I've done, I will say Hapkido is the only one I've used in a bar fight, so it has that going for it. Just took a shove from some drunk rear end in a top hat and turned it into a wristlock until he calmed down. Hapkido is a style that lets you adjust the level of your response based on the situation. We have a lot of law enforcement guys in the class because it's perfect for them.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 14, 2011

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
most diversions and games in human lives are imitations or abstractions of fighting

we just like cutting out the middleman

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
i could do without the black eyes though

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Dr. Miracle posted:

There was a period of time time when I checked it out pretty heavily for a year.

I think their link to the russian military is vastly overstated and is mainly used as a marketing tool.

I would say it's not geared towards fighting. But some of their methods are interesting, I found the way they did most of the breakfalls/rolls to be quite beneficial. (Although I more or less do only Judo rolls/falls these days. The way they do theirs without tension has been something I've been trying to mimic. Of course I can just do the rolls and falls the way they do but that's not what I'm trying to do.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I assume most martial arts are the same for this but what would people recommend for a fitness point of view. Basically the best cardio work out

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jose posted:

I assume most martial arts are the same for this but what would people recommend for a fitness point of view. Basically the best cardio work out

If you just want a general fitness workout do something like yoga or visit the lifting threads in W&W.

I do hothouse yoga when I'm cutting weight, its pretty intense.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not really after dropping weight since thats happening anyway while I'm running. It would be more about replacing my running with doing a martial art. I'm guessing its more down to the place I would be training as opposed to any martial art though?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Wrestling is pretty cardio intensive.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jose posted:

kickboxing/muaythai will probably burn the most calories

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Paul Pot posted:

kickboxing/muaythai will probably burn the most calories

I imagine the kickboxing/muaythai would be more of an aerobic exercise than grappling, yeah. More moving around.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Senor P. posted:

There was a period of time time when I checked it out pretty heavily for a year.

I would say it's not geared towards fighting. But some of their methods are interesting, I found the way they did most of the breakfalls/rolls to be quite beneficial. (Although I more or less do only Judo rolls/falls these days. The way they do theirs without tension has been something I've been trying to mimic. Of course I can just do the rolls and falls the way they do but that's not what I'm trying to do.)

The most positive spin I can put on Systema is that it's a variety of techniques and principles that may or may not be adaptable to your particular game/style. Like Senor P said, you might learn a thing or two about falls and trips, or how to take a strike. But if you took everything taught from the best Systema seminars as a whole, you wouldn't be able to synthesize a way to fight. ESPECIALLY not in a combat sport sense. No matter how cool/good Systema's techniques for slipping a punch is, it doesn't replace pratical experience/training that boils down to concepts like "at range, keep pumping a jab in their face."

I think a Systema seminar would be an interesting thing to go to if you had martial arts experience, but on its own I think it'd be difficult to call a complete source of fighting instruction.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

I've been doing Sin Moo Hapkido for about 2 years now. It's basically a cross between Tae kwan do and Aikido, but with more emphasis on practicality. The aikido techniques are forced harder and made more painful, and we are told clearly when to do more brutal maneuvers. There is a pretty strong element of meditation and stuff, but that's balanced well with the fighting. A lot of other styles are involved somewhat, such as boxing. My dojang's website gives a better summary.

http://baysidehapkido.net/Home.html

Edit: Yes I know the website looks iffy.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 15, 2011

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
http://youtu.be/XuFsLHPygUo

A body shot compilation from boxing, the most underused and under appreciated punch in MMA.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

The ghost who walks posted:

Renzo's Mastering Jujitsu should probably be on every BJJ players bookshelf. Even once you've got it down, it's a great book to loan out or to show people what you're into. http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Jujitsu-Martial-Arts/dp/0736044043/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305444645&sr=8-1

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Hi, I do kendo.

I can answer questions if you have them.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Have you ever used skills aquired in Kendo in a real life situation?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

z0331 posted:

Hi, I do kendo.

Is there any place in the world where you can actually carry around wooden swords and use them to defend yourself without getting in trouble with the law? Because that would make Kendo and Filipino stick fighting totally badass.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Okay, so kind of off topic but I have to ask...is it law or policy that people with assault on their record can't train? I mean, I think it's a loving great idea that if someone is the kind of guy who's always looking for a fight and is a violent individual, the last thing you want to do is improve their skill set...I've just never heard of this before.

Well, my main instructor was in jail for some general hooliganism and such, but has since straightened out his life. We've had people come through who have spent time in jail or prison before, but we've also had correctional officers come through as well. Either way, generally people who come for the wrong reasons don't last.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

niethan posted:

Have you ever used skills aquired in Kendo in a real life situation?

Nope. Kendo is not going to help you in any real life situation unless maybe you had a stick around the same length and weight and even then I wouldn't really try using any Kendo techniques instead of swinging wildly.

Nierbo posted:

Is there any place in the world where you can actually carry around wooden swords and use them to defend yourself without getting in trouble with the law? Because that would make Kendo and Filipino stick fighting totally badass.

Other than some sort of south east Asian country I doubt it. Why would you want to be in a place where having a wooden sword to defend yourself would be a good idea anyway?

Interesting side note that I haven't bothered to verify; in Japan if you attack someone with a stick it's assault. If you're 2dan or above in Kendo and attack someone with a stick it's assault with a deadly weapon. (Or something like that. I forget the details but the law apparently takes into account Kendo training.)

Some of the best Kendo people are police and usually if you see a police officer patrolling or guarding somewhere they'll be carrying a pole around the same length as a shinai.

Sethur
Apr 18, 2007
I paid for this account with imaginary internet spaceship money.

z0331 posted:

Hi, I do kendo.

From what I've seen and read (which admittedly extremely little) Kendo seems very steeped in rules and tradition over being an effective fighting style. Now obviously it doesn't need to be seeing as how as you've said it's not applicable in any situation outside of the confines of the sport, but could you give some background on how Kendo developed out of (I'd presume) a system for real combat into the very restricted sport it seems to me to be today?

Or explain to me why I'm dumb and wrong, that'd work too :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sethur posted:

From what I've seen and read (which admittedly extremely little) Kendo seems very steeped in rules and tradition over being an effective fighting style.

Is or is not Iaido an ever more rarefied art compared to Kendo? That conversation never really got fleshed out in the old thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

z0331 posted:

Interesting side note that I haven't bothered to verify; in Japan if you attack someone with a stick it's assault. If you're 2dan or above in Kendo and attack someone with a stick it's assault with a deadly weapon. (Or something like that. I forget the details but the law apparently takes into account Kendo training.)

Some of the best Kendo people are police and usually if you see a police officer patrolling or guarding somewhere they'll be carrying a pole around the same length as a shinai.

I think it's 3-dan.

Also, I've heard that it's illegal to carry bokuto without a case; same for baseball bats, since both are often used for gangs.

The police also have a lot of really good judoka as well, since they're generally required to do either kendo or judo. Police kendo sessions are absolutely brutal and (in my experience) they have absolutely no compulsion about using tsuki.

kimbo305 posted:

Is or is not Iaido an ever more rarefied art compared to Kendo? That conversation never really got fleshed out in the old thread.

Kendo involves a special sports situation with three referees that watch to make sure you hit one of four armored scoring areas with a stick made of four bamboo slats while correctly transferring body weight, yelling, and striking.

Iaido is purely kata, performed by people wearing hakama, obi (for the saya), and keikogi while using (typically) a chromed aluminum/zinc alloy blade with no sharp edge.

No matter how you look at it, they're both pretty rarefied... though I would say that kendo is more "practical," for what it's worth (very little) if only because you have sport-style sparring with an opponent.

But gently caress me if I don't want to wet myself sometimes while I watch a high-ranking iaidoka with a shinken.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 16, 2011

• Locked thread