Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

900ftjesus posted:

Where did you see this?

EDIT: Also can Best Buy handle EPRP yet?

No trace of the 3D on the online store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Google revealed only this:

http://www.gizmocrunch.com/android/6854-sprint-htc-evo-3d-preorder

some blog i've never heard of. I'm about to call my local Sprint store and check.

Edit: Well. Good news and bad. They aren't doing pre-orders yet but I might have just gotten the release date revealed. I called my store and the conversation basically played out like this:

Me: Hey are you guys doing Evo 3d pre-orders yet? I read you were online but you never know when it's online so I figured i'd call and check for myself.
Rep: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (yes he really said a long hmm) I don't know. That's a good question, let me check.
Me: Ok thanks.
*He steps away from the phone for a good 45 seconds*
Rep: Sir are you there?
Me: Yea i'm here.
Rep: It doesn't look like it but it's showing up in our system as next month on the 15th.
Me: Wait. The pre-order availability begins on the 15th or the phone is released on the 15th?
Rep: I don't know, that's a good question. It's just showing up in our system for the 15th of next month. I haven't heard anything about a pre-order yet so I don't know.

So, that 15th could be the day pre-orders begin in their system or it could be an actual release date. I've never heard of a pre-order being done in their systems. When I did a pre-order for a pre when it was released, it was just a piece of paper and the manager took everyone's name down.

Maybe I just got them to leak the release date or maybe i'm just being hopeful.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 14, 2011

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
How would your phone get shut off?

edit: When did Sprint start taking pre-orders for the Nexus S compared to when they started selling it? If that's an indicator, we might have a rough gauge of how soon the Evo 3D is coming out.

Not shut off physically, but disconnected. Happened when I switched to sprint 2 years back and I don't know if it'd happen again, where shipping was delayed and my old cell phone lost service since the new one had been shipped (despite not being activated).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Google revealed only this:

http://www.gizmocrunch.com/android/6854-sprint-htc-evo-3d-preorder

some blog i've never heard of. I'm about to call my local Sprint store and check.

Edit: Well. Good news and bad. They aren't doing pre-orders yet but I might have just gotten the release date revealed. I called my store and the conversation basically played out like this:

Me: Hey are you guys doing Evo 3d pre-orders yet? I read you were online but you never know when it's online so I figured i'd call and check for myself.
Rep: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (yes he really said a long hmm) I don't know. That's a good question, let me check.
Me: Ok thanks.
*He steps away from the phone for a good 45 seconds*
Rep: Sir are you there?
Me: Yea i'm here.
Rep: It doesn't look like it but it's showing up in our system as next month on the 15th.
Me: Wait. The pre-order availability begins on the 15th or the phone is released on the 15th?
Rep: I don't know, that's a good question. It's just showing up in our system for the 15th of next month. I haven't heard anything about a pre-order yet so I don't know.

So, that 15th could be the day pre-orders begin in their system or it could be an actual release date. I've never heard of a pre-order being done in their systems. When I did a pre-order for a pre when it was released, it was just a piece of paper and the manager took everyone's name down.

Maybe I just got them to leak the release date or maybe i'm just being hopeful.

Pre-ordered one today at a Sprint store. It's in "sales force" which is some internal system or at least that's what the rep said.

You have to buy a $50 gift card when you pre-order, so you can just opt not to buy and get something else if you want.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
15th wouldn't be the release date because they release new phones on Sundays from what I can tell.

900ftjesus posted:

Pre-ordered one today at a Sprint store. It's in "sales force" which is some internal system or at least that's what the rep said.

You have to buy a $50 gift card when you pre-order, so you can just opt not to buy and get something else if you want.

Yes last year when I pre-ordered the Oreo EVO it was the same way, and Best Buy has been taking pre-orders for the EVO 3D that way for a week or 2 already.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Where did you see this?

EPRP is still officially corporate only, so any third part from a Sprint retailer to Best Buy and Radioshack is not allowed to touch it. Last I checked it should prevent any of us from even looking at it. If Best Buy somehow gets access and upgrades anyone, great, but they aren't supposed to (and technically lose any commission on the sale).

Fingers crossed Sprint extends instant rebates past June 5th.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

nate fisher posted:

15th wouldn't be the release date because they release new phones on Sundays from what I can tell.
The EVO came out on a Friday.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

EPRP is still officially corporate only, so any third part from a Sprint retailer to Best Buy and Radioshack is not allowed to touch it. Last I checked it should prevent any of us from even looking at it. If Best Buy somehow gets access and upgrades anyone, great, but they aren't supposed to (and technically lose any commission on the sale).

Fingers crossed Sprint extends instant rebates past June 5th.

But Sprint corporate stores can touch the accounts, right? How would one find a corporate store?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Well if Sprint stores are starting to do pre-orders then the 15th must be the release date. He said that the 15th is when they start pre-orders or release the phone. If the pre-orders have already started then you can cross that from the list and you are left with the only remaining possibility.

Also, the pre was released on a Saturday and the HTC Evo a Friday, so the Evo 3d does not need to be released on a Sunday.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

But Sprint corporate stores can touch the accounts, right? How would one find a corporate store?

Use the store locater on sprint.com. Corporate stores will be listed as 'Sprint Store'. Third party will be 'Sprint Store by Whatever Wireless'.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

mastershakeman posted:

Not shut off physically, but disconnected. Happened when I switched to sprint 2 years back and I don't know if it'd happen again, where shipping was delayed and my old cell phone lost service since the new one had been shipped (despite not being activated).
That only happened because you were porting your number between carriers. Your old Sprint phone here will continue to work until the very moment that you turn on your new phone and it does the "hands-free activation".

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WoG posted:

Use the store locater on sprint.com. Corporate stores will be listed as 'Sprint Store'. Third party will be 'Sprint Store by Whatever Wireless'.

Ahh, okay. Thanks!

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I was in Best Buy to put a reservation down on the Evo 3D but just couldn't pull the trigger. I'll wait to hear if Radio Shack will be offering any incentives first.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

OptimusMatrix posted:

I was in Best Buy to put a reservation down on the Evo 3D but just couldn't pull the trigger. I'll wait to hear if Radio Shack will be offering any incentives first.

I'm going to ATTEMPT to hold off on ordering till I hear back on several reviews and user experiences with the Evo 3D. :bang:

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
If my upgrade is 7/1 what's the earliest they'll let me upgrade?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

OptimusMatrix posted:

Call them and ask for an early upgrade. They usually let you use the upgrade if it's within a couple months of your upgrade date. They let me move mine up a month and I didn't even need to use it.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

900ftjesus posted:

Unless EPRP is significantly different from SERO, Wal-Mart can handle it.

Blackaxis
Nov 23, 2002
Irate Southerner
After a few months, I managed to scratch my EVO screen. What are my options to fix this? I've seen the digitizers on eBay, are they of the same quality? How big of a pain is this? Can I just pay for the sprint store to repair the screen without having to go through TEP?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Blackaxis posted:

After a few months, I managed to scratch my EVO screen. What are my options to fix this? I've seen the digitizers on eBay, are they of the same quality? How big of a pain is this? Can I just pay for the sprint store to repair the screen without having to go through TEP?

I've heard that Watch Repair Shops are really good at fixing scratches.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OptimusMatrix posted:

If you can come up with enough indignant rage, you can call retentions and have it pushed forward a good amount. They moved mine up 5 months because I called and ranted about my Epic breaking/being a piece of poo poo in general.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I honestly can't wait until the day you stop mentioning your god drat Epic.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

On a two year contract, are we allowed to upgrade our phones on the start of the 2nd year or how does that work?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
You get a rebate 22 months after you used your last upgrade.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

The EVO came out on a Friday.

I wasn't aware, because I got the Oreo one at Best Buy on release day and it was Sunday. My bad.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
Lost my evo, I have TEP, can I get a replacement at the sprint store or do I have to go through Asurion and wait for it to be overnighted or whatever?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

unknown poster posted:

Lost my evo, I have TEP, can I get a replacement at the sprint store or do I have to go through Asurion and wait for it to be overnighted or whatever?
That would be a warranty claim so you'd have to go through Asurion and pay the deductible.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Actually, what I'm most curious about with the evo 3d is how they're gonna work it into fringe

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

unknown poster posted:

phoneclaim.com/sprint

$100 deductible, if you get it in before 8pm central time (i think) it'll be overnighted. This is assuming refurb Evos are in stock, sometimes they get backordered a few days.

Sprint recently released an insurance tracking app for Android phones, highly recommend it. It can track and find where the Evo is, and even remote wip it. Included with the insurance you are paying. Unfortunately in your case it does need to be installed, cannot remote install it.

Download: sprint.com/protection

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

phoneclaim.com/sprint

$100 deductible, if you get it in before 8pm central time (i think) it'll be overnighted. This is assuming refurb Evos are in stock, sometimes they get backordered a few days.

Sprint recently released an insurance tracking app for Android phones, highly recommend it. It can track and find where the Evo is, and even remote wip it. Included with the insurance you are paying. Unfortunately in your case it does need to be installed, cannot remote install it.

They also have some kind of "family find" feature for all phones that you can use. Not sure what the cost is, or if there is one. I only know of it because a couple weeks ago when I was on the phone with them, as it was ending the rep I spoke to did one of those advertisement spiels for it. I do know that, like the android app you speak of, you need to have the phone first and confirm/allow it, from the phone, to be tracked before you can use it.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Duckman2008 posted:

phoneclaim.com/sprint

This is supposed to work after you've already lost it, assuming the battery didn't die: http://www.androidcentral.com/plan-b-lookout-labs-will-find-your-phone-after-youve-already-lost-it

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
If I were to sign up for a nexus S 4g using the EPRP would my bill be $60?

--- From first post
Everything Data: $59.99, 500 mins, unlimited internet, GPS, text/pics, anymobile anytime
---

I saw there was a $10 smartphone fee and I had heard there was also a 4g fee at one point.

What is the compelling argument to wait for the EVO 3D over the Nexus S 4g?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fagalicious posted:

This is supposed to work after you've already lost it, assuming the battery didn't die: http://www.androidcentral.com/plan-b-lookout-labs-will-find-your-phone-after-youve-already-lost-it

Oh, I could be incorrect on it. Either way, family locator is $5 a month so the person mentioning that has a good idea.

EPRP plan is $69.99 for amy smartphone, $10 data is required. Do you need the latest and greatest or not? Only big reason to wait for the Evo 3d is if you are a high end user that wants a dual core phone. The Nexus S is a great phone, and will get software updates like crazy. Depends on how big you want your phone too. Keep in mind the nexus has a few bugs, but they should get ironed out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What soft of software updates are even expected at this point? As I understand it, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich are all fairly minor updates compared to the jump from Eclair to Froyo. To me it makes more sense to buy the phone with the better hardware & formfactor than one which promises future updates which have unknown and possibly minimal benefit.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Ok, so I finally signed up for Google Voice, and used my same sprint number, and the voicemail etc is great, but I dont have the text button? Man, one of the main reasons I wanted to get Google Voice was for the convenience of texting from my computer. Does anyone else have this problem? According to the Google matrix I read, since I have Sprint, I should be able to use my number and get texts, but nope

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

mastershakeman posted:

What soft of software updates are even expected at this point? As I understand it, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich are all fairly minor updates compared to the jump from Eclair to Froyo. To me it makes more sense to buy the phone with the better hardware & formfactor than one which promises future updates which have unknown and possibly minimal benefit.

My understanding is that you are correct about Froyo being a big upgrade from Eclair, and that Gingerbread is only a minor update from Froyo. However, Honeycomb is only a tablet version of the OS, and that Ice Cream Sandwich is going to be a fairly major update over Froyo/Gingerbread, as it will be incorporating some of the Honeycomb features into the phone version of the OS. Also, Ice Cream Sandwich will be the first OS in the Android lineup to start to try and combat the massive amount of fragmentation that is currently prevalent in the Android world.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

phoneclaim.com/sprint

Even without the app installed there is a device locator service they can do that will help you find it with your approval. I heard of one guy having an EVO fall off the top of his car driving and they were able to tell him exactly where it was, and this was before the app was out to let you track it yourself automatically.

It looks like currently as long as your claim is complete by 10PM Eastern you'll get it the next day. http://www.phoneclaim.com/sprint-shipping EVO inventory shouldn't be a limiting factor this week at least.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Blogs are blowing up about some analyst's remarks about the next iPhone coming to Sprint and T-Mobile. I guess he's saying it's called the iPhone 4S, and it will ship without LTE support but will have HSPA+ enabled which gives AT&T and T-Mobile some marketing leverage over Verizon and Sprint. Either way, to those Sprint people who are jonesing for an iOS device, it may be coming this fall.

http://gizmodo.com/5801860/lte+free-backup-plan-iphone-4s-could-land-this-september

quote:

If and when an iPhone update arrives this year, it may do so with a small suffix and some new carrier friends. Mainly, you can expect an "iPhone 4S" in September, with support for Sprint and T-Mobile.

The details, as they are wont to be, are scant and come from an analyst's recent research note. In this case, analyst Peter Misek, of Jefferies & Co., who writes in Forbes that there will be nary a hint of 4G connectivity and that the phone is actually a "Backup plan" phone.

Why a backup plan? Because the LTE tech Apple was testing in prototypes did not meet that company's well-known strict performance and user experience quality standards. In other words, which means I'm making an educated guess, it sounds like the battery was being sucked dry in a manner that was far too fast and fleeting.

As AppleInsider, ourselves and other tech sites have noted, these rumors are in line with what we've heard since about April: Apple has delayed the phone, it will have a slightly larger screen, and will look similar to the current model. A faster A5 processor like the one nestled within the iPad 2 and an 8MP camera round out the rest of today's rumor mill grist.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
Wow. Fast and fleeting?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Alman posted:

Blogs are blowing up about some analyst's remarks about the next iPhone coming to Sprint and T-Mobile. I guess he's saying it's called the iPhone 4S, and it will ship without LTE support but will have HSPA+ enabled which gives AT&T and T-Mobile some marketing leverage over Verizon and Sprint. Either way, to those Sprint people who are jonesing for an iOS device, it may be coming this fall.

http://gizmodo.com/5801860/lte+free-backup-plan-iphone-4s-could-land-this-september

I have pretty much decided not to get the EVO 3D for myself and just get one for my wife. Reading this (even as a Android/Google fan) I am tempted to get a iPhone and truly judge which one I like better. Even if I didn't like the iPhone the worst case have to wait until May 2012 to upgrade again by using another line.

That said I just read this:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/16/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-us-carrier-names-revealed-atandt-attain-veri/

The bad news worst names ever for these phones. The good news (if I am understanding this right) that the Sprint version will not have a hard keyboard, which in turns means they are not going to gently caress with this gorgeous phone (outside of bullshit software). Still not sure why it mentions a kickstand or how real it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Alman posted:

This sounds sketchy as hell, but I'd be psyched to see it. "support for sprint and t-mobile" is an odd way to phrase that, considering they'd have to be different models, but this isn't vetted language. Not having 4g on a flagship device doesn't sound like apple or sprint, but then again, calling it the 4s instead of 5 would be the way to do that, and sprint would probably take anything apple gives them.

Samsung 'Within'? That may literally be the worst product name I've ever heard.

WoG fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 16, 2011