Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

zombieman posted:

Any tips for Brutal Legend (360)?

Pretty much everything is explained in game, but raising statues gives you extra songs for your soundtrack so it's worth taking the time to get them. Other than that just play the game and enjoy the gorgeous aesthetic and unusual fighter/RTS hybrid that it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nekomata
Oct 9, 2009

Let's do it!

flatluigi posted:

Do any of these games have things that'd be missable for achievements or the like? I'm a big completionist so I'd prefer to know about any pitfalls ahead of time.

You can miss out on another one of the achievements in Red Dead, just be careful when hunting buffalo. That's about it, I think.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So we have two different wiki pages now? Which is the more up-to-date of the two? Before I Play?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Revision history shows Before I play last updated in April, the other one last updated in February. So yes, I think you're right.

Edit: opps, that was just the front page. Looks like both are being actively updated?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Beforeiplay.com is the new, Mediawiki based site, and the "correct one".

I hadn't realised that anthonyhobday.com/misc/beforeiplay was still up - I've just taken it down, so the confusion is removed!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

xrunner posted:

I picked up Drakensang: River of Time on a complete whim, interested in an BG/NWN-esque RPG. I never played the first one, if that makes any difference. I have to say I'm totally lost. The documentation is non-existent and character creation has me baffled, as do the skills, what they do, and which ones are worthwhile. Any pointers are appreciated.

Is the only way to change my character's race to switch the preset? How important is the preset? Is it like a Bioware game where the class defines your playstyle or more like an Elder Scrolls game where you just pick one and do what you want with it. Should I pick a weapon type and stick with it or is it okay to spread my skills around?
The Drakensang games are some of the most underrated releases of recent years--if you are a certain type of gamer. The kind who grew up playing role-playing games where things did not actually seem that straightforward, for example.

That said, a lot of the skills are straightforward--and hovering over the others should (I think, or right-clicking) give you another idea of how they are used.

I do not understand what you mean "is the only way to change my character's race to switch the preset," incidentally. The character creation screen starts by showing the three classes that (whatever race) can be; you can change the race you are looking at with arrows somewhere on the screen. Then, as you seemingly know, you can go into expert mode or whatever it is called to change a character preset to be what you want it to be.

Unfortunately, the complexity of the game is such that you will probably not be able to do a good job with a powergaming-styled character, if that is what you are looking for, but the other characters you can recruit in the game will probably make up for any weaknesses your main character has anyway.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thanks Quarex: I sunk a few hours into it last night and so far I think it's a charming game that seems to have a good bit of depth.

As for my question about skills I was really more curious about distributing the skill points. Am I crippling my character by putting points into utility and social skills? When should I put them into buying attributes instead of skills? There seem to be a lot of points to spread around and they come in quickly, but I'm not sure if I should prioritize one area, like a weapon proficiency or lockpicking, over another to build it quickly or if I should go for a smoother, more evenly distributed growth. Also, I find myself with a lot of what I assume are either crafting materials or vendor trash, anything I should be holding on to? It's unfortunate that the version I got off of steam doesn't seem to have come with a manual.

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

I got the GBA Fire Emblem (The Blazing Sword for the longtime fans) and Final Fantasy Tactics A2. I've tried only the first, and the tutorial chapter seems very fair and helpful. I quit playing Disgaea a couple years ago because of the ridiculous amount of grinding (seriously, even single weapons and objects?), and I heard these two games are more noob-friendly. What should I know, except for the basic stuff like death is final/try to level up everyone?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

zombieman posted:

You cannot play the stage battles as a normal RTS game. You must be aggressive. Summon your car and drive from resource point to point and take it over (Eddie can't attack a point directly, he has to use his vehicle or a double team). If the enemy ambushes you and starts fighting for that point then immediately drive to one that's undefended and set a new waypoint. You cannot be bogged down in a battle of attrition because the AI is inhumanely efficient with its resources and will eventually overwhelm you. If you're not constantly melting faces or participating in combat then you're going to lose. Guaranteed.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
Any tips for Dead Space 2? I'm playing the game on zealot and the game is kicking my rear end. Which weapons should I focus on? I've been using the Javelin gun because it's fun but I don't want to pour nodes into something and have it become worthless later in the game.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Rakanakle posted:

Any tips for Dead Space 2? I'm playing the game on zealot and the game is kicking my rear end. Which weapons should I focus on? I've been using the Javelin gun because it's fun but I don't want to pour nodes into something and have it become worthless later in the game.

You want a long-range gun and a close range crowd control weapon, as well as your plasma cutter and a "special event" weapon, probably either the mine launcher or contact beam. The javelin gun can work well as a long range one. For close range, consider the force gun or line gun. Even the flamethrower is a little better this time around.

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Nodes put into the plasma cutter are never wasted. Seriously, that thing is absolutely awesome. The circular saw is also great to incapacitate quickly most of the enemies, just be sure to finish them off or else you'll get crowds of legless monsters after you in the latest parts of the game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mad Surge posted:

I got the GBA Fire Emblem (The Blazing Sword for the longtime fans) and Final Fantasy Tactics A2. I've tried only the first, and the tutorial chapter seems very fair and helpful. I quit playing Disgaea a couple years ago because of the ridiculous amount of grinding (seriously, even single weapons and objects?), and I heard these two games are more noob-friendly. What should I know, except for the basic stuff like death is final/try to level up everyone?

For Fire Emblem:

- As long as you're in Lyn's Story, death isn't permanent. Those characters will be unusable until you get into the main story, but Lyn's Story is a prologue, so don't worry too much about it. (There are obvious benefits to not doing so of course, such as having them rejoin later at the same levels and letting you work on supports)

- Everyone's level-ups are decided entirely by RNG, so there's no telling what characters are going to be good or not. There are ways to game the RNG so that you always get really good level-ups, but almost no character is unusable (with maybe one exception, and he appears in the second to last chapter), so if things turn out badly for someone you like, just bench them. There's eventually going to be someone else to fill the role.

- You should not be leveling everyone, as much as you might want to. Somewhere between Chapter 18-20 (which is about the time you're going to be getting a good amount of people ready to promote) you want to at least have a decent idea of who's going to be in your final team. That doesn't mean things can't change obviously, but you do want to have an idea of where you're going.

- The support system is explained pretty badly (if it even is at all, it's been a while since I've played). Basically, every character has a list of people they can support with (usually it's their family, friends, or other acquaintances), and you build this up by having them stand next to each other in battle for X amount of turns. Then you can choose "Support" and you'll get a little skit that will reveal some part of the characters' backstory. These characters also get a bonus to their stats when they are within three spaces of each other, depending on their alignments. You can go up to support level A, but you can only have five supports total per character (so 5 C's, an A and two C's, two B's and a C, etc.)

- Oswin is pretty much the best non-lord character in the game and not using him is just gimping yourself, really. Give him the boots once he promotes and watch the carnage unfold.

- If you're one of those people who has to get everything, there are two sets of characters who are mutually exclusive (Harken and Karel, and Geitz and Wallace), and at least two more who won't show up unless you're playing in the "New Game plus" of sorts. Sorry, them's the breaks.

- Merlinus is a pain at first, but he levels up for each map he survives, and he's pretty hardy against anything but mages. Once he promotes he can move, so he's not nearly as much of a pain after that.

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 14, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mad Surge posted:

Leveling up EVERYONE is a bad idea, actually. A dozen strong units is better than two dozen mediocre units. You can use everyone at the outset but some characters will distinguish themselves from the rest of the bunch and you should give them extra attention. Remember, there's only a finite amount of EXP in this game (unless you grind forever in the Arena, which is risky)

Another thing to remember is that almost any unit with a unique portrait can be recruited, and the pre-battle cutscene usually gives you a clue as to how.

There are also a few secret missions you can do, it might be worth it to see which chapters they come after.

The wiki also has a few good tips already-
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Fire_Emblem_1

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

You want a long-range gun and a close range crowd control weapon, as well as your plasma cutter and a "special event" weapon, probably either the mine launcher or contact beam. The javelin gun can work well as a long range one. For close range, consider the force gun or line gun. Even the flamethrower is a little better this time around.

I've been using the Ripper since the Force gun didn't seem to do hardly anything. It takes me 3 to 5 shots to kill something and ammo only drops 1 or 2 at a time. Does it turn into a beast when you upgrade or anything?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Rakanakle posted:

I've been using the Ripper since the Force gun didn't seem to do hardly anything. It takes me 3 to 5 shots to kill something and ammo only drops 1 or 2 at a time. Does it turn into a beast when you upgrade or anything?

Most of the guns become beastly with enough upgrades. Especially the Pulse Rifle. The Javelin too, once you get its unique upgrade. I didn't use the Ripper much in DS2 so I can't comment on it. You are aiming for the limbs right?

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

zombieman posted:

Some tips for the campaign:

- Use pyrotechnics on chained dragon statues (upgrades Eddie's stats) and the earthshaker on the orb-holding beast statues (unlocks additional backstory which will explain some plot points which are otherwise never directly addressed). I don't recall this being explicitly mentioned anywhere in the game and a lot of people in the thread never figured out what to do with them.

- Always be on the front lines double-teaming, playing solos, or driving the Deuce. Nearly every stage battle is easier when playing offensively than it is playing defensively. Carry your rally flag with you and keep your army on you unless they're in the process of taking a fountain.

- The final mission is probably the only exception to the last tip. Take all points, place a rally point in the center of the map such that your army will attack anything that arrives on the field, then turtle until you hit the unit cap. This is because the type and number of enemy deployments depends on how much progress you've made attacking the main objective rather than being bound by the game's regular resource and teching mechanics.

- Double-team with a squad of Groupies if you see the enemy avatar. You can shoot them down surprisingly fast and at reasonably long range.

- When fighting the Drowning Doom, focus on killing their debuffing units (Brides and Organists) first. Their regular troops are better than yours when your guys have a debuff active, but are weaker under normal circumstances. Debuffs apply to you too, so the easiest way to do this is double-team with some Groupies and attack from outside the debuff radius.

- The summoning solo works differently in campaign than it does in skirmishes. Instead of being based on tech levels it's based on whatever hunting sidequest you last completed. Always summon something when a stage battle begins, it will probably be much stronger than tier 1 units and can buy you some breathing room.

- The final solo is on a clifftop in the southern part of the eastern region. Try to find it, because it's both extremely powerful and something you have to see at least once.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

xrunner posted:

Thanks Quarex: I sunk a few hours into it last night and so far I think it's a charming game that seems to have a good bit of depth.

As for my question about skills I was really more curious about distributing the skill points. Am I crippling my character by putting points into utility and social skills? When should I put them into buying attributes instead of skills? There seem to be a lot of points to spread around and they come in quickly, but I'm not sure if I should prioritize one area, like a weapon proficiency or lockpicking, over another to build it quickly or if I should go for a smoother, more evenly distributed growth. Also, I find myself with a lot of what I assume are either crafting materials or vendor trash, anything I should be holding on to? It's unfortunate that the version I got off of steam doesn't seem to have come with a manual.
It is pretty charming and deep. It is like a beautiful ridiculous fairytale. It is kind of like the Princess Bride meets the Brothers Grimm. Though I realize the former was a kind of satire of the latter.

I suppose you could kind of gimp yourself, but particularly in the River of Time, they do such a good job giving you specialized companions that you should focus on whatever you really want your character to be good at and ignore the things you think you might need anyway. Really, if you have a maximized weapon skill of any sort, you will be in good shape, and even without one I did a pretty good job (Refusing to spend my skill points unless/until I could not hit enemies anymore).

A lot of things could come in handy at one point or another. In the first game, they were fond of having even the most seemingly obvious garbage come in handy, but they seem to have backed off that a lot in the second game, so if it seems like actual trash then you can toss it ... but, well, rusty nails are also a crafting ingredient, so until you start seeing the crafting mechanics (I always started with a blacksmith dwarf so I had some idea of what kinds of things were used in crafting), you might want to just put everything in your chest on the ship/barracks/whatever it is.

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Leveling up EVERYONE is a bad idea, actually. A dozen strong units is better than two dozen mediocre units. You can use everyone at the outset but some characters will distinguish themselves from the rest of the bunch and you should give them extra attention. Remember, there's only a finite amount of EXP in this game (unless you grind forever in the Arena, which is risky)

Another thing to remember is that almost any unit with a unique portrait can be recruited, and the pre-battle cutscene usually gives you a clue as to how.

There are also a few secret missions you can do, it might be worth it to see which chapters they come after.

The wiki also has a few good tips already-
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Fire_Emblem_1

Thanks a lot to you and to Artix74 too! I'm pretty slow and I'm just now looking at the first mission with a thief unit. About the "protect X for Y turns", am I right to assume that you can kill the enemy's commander and win that way if I'm fast/skilled enough?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Planning to try and play Persona 4 again but I felt like I was missing out on some things. What social links and skills should I be focussing on? Jobs? Clubs? That sort of thing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Dr Snofeld posted:

Planning to try and play Persona 4 again but I felt like I was missing out on some things. What social links and skills should I be focussing on? Jobs? Clubs? That sort of thing.

Whatever you feel like.

Seriously, just play the Slinks/Jobs that you want. If you want specific pointers, try to spend nights mostly getting stats up. The Tower Slink (Tutoring Job) has to be started early to get the full benefits.

Team member Slinks give you more than just bonus fusion XP. They get extra stuff in battle.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dr Snofeld posted:

Did you complete the game first time? Because New Game+ makes things much easier, since you keep all your personal stats (Expression and Courage and things). If not, then I'd honestly recommend using a no-spoiler walk through to 100% the social links, it's virtually impossible to do it blind.

If that's not your thing, then:

- For most s-links (Death and Hermit are the exceptions, I think) having a Persona that matches the s-link's arcana will get you extra points from "Good" answers during the cutscenes. When you choose things to say to them, you can see how well you did by the number of little music notes that come off their heads. Generally, you need a certain number of points to advance the s-link to the next level.

- There are a couple of signs the game gives you when an s-link is ready to advance, when you get one of these signs, you shouldn't do any extra events with them (like when they phone you up on a Sunday to go do something), since the points will be wasted. The signs are:

1. The game saying "You feel like your relationship will grow closer soon" at the end of a scene.
2. The character coming to see you during lunch, and asking if you're free after school.

- Social Links for your team mates are far more important than the others, since they grant the team mates special powers. For all but 2 of the team mates, maxing out the slink will also negate their elemental weakness, which is awesome.

- For the mid-game, the fox shrine slink is very useful, since each rank in it makes buying heals from the fox cheaper.

- If possible, do each dungeon in as few sessions as you can (I managed them all in 2 sessions, but I've played these games to death). Each day you spend in the dungeon is a day you're not studying/socializing.

- In the early game, go every week into the shopping area and buy as many cans of soda as you can from the vending machines in the 2 zones (make sure you buy the SP boosting soda, not the HP one). Having soda stockpiles means you can generally explore much longer before you have to go home.

- At one point in the very late game, you're going to be in a hospital having a conversation about whether or not you should kill someone. You get a bunch of dialogue choices, and if you make one mistake you won't be able to continue the game (the game will pretty much end immediately instead). Reloading and going back to that point means sitting through a huge cutscene, all over again. I'd seriously recommend looking up the correct choices online if you value your sanity.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

Did you complete the game first time? Because New Game+ makes things much easier, since you keep all your personal stats (Expression and Courage and things). If not, then I'd honestly recommend using a no-spoiler walk through to 100% the social links, it's virtually impossible to do it blind.

A guide I looked at along those lines seems to say you should do dungeons other than the castle one in a single day. I only got as far as the videogame-like dungeon last time I played, but that doesn't seem feasible to me?

This guide, for reference.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dr Snofeld posted:

A guide I looked at along those lines seems to say you should do dungeons other than the castle one in a single day. I only got as far as the videogame-like dungeon last time I played, but that doesn't seem feasible to me?

This guide, for reference.

Yeah, I used that guide, but I was doing a New Game+ play through, so I had a lot of leeway to ignore it when it was talking about doing things to boost your stats. If you read the guide, it will actually give you a second day for each level, search for the text "Last day" to see what I mean. By going into the TV on those days, you miss some stat boosts, so it will throw you off a bit, but at the end of the guide you have about 3 weeks of time to catch up on any loose ends.

Doing the zones in 2 days is a lot more doable than 1, though it's still a challenge. It really helps if you find Personas that have skills that regenerate your SP, like Invigorate. This really helps early on:

1) Get Parasvati somehow, she's level 17, Priestess Arcana
2) Get her to level 19, she'll learn Invigorate 2 (+5 SP every turn, when she's equipped)
3) Whenever you fuse Parasvati into another persona, keep backing out of the "Are you sure want to fuse this?" screen until you roll a persona that inherits Invigorate.
4) Bring Parasvati back from the compendium
5) Now you can repeat step 3 with Parasvati or the persona you just made.

After a while, you'll end up with a bunch of Persona with the skill, and you should be able to dungeon crawl much longer. Once you get further into the game, you can get Trumpeter (level 67, Justice), at level 69 he gets the Cool Breeze skill (recover 8% Sp/HP after each fight), which is also extremely handy to have on a bunch of persona.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Been playing a lot of Wild ARMs 5 recently and now I want to get back into WA 1+2. Any tips or whatnot for either of those games?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Skeezy posted:

Been playing a lot of Wild ARMs 5 recently and now I want to get back into WA 1+2. Any tips or whatnot for either of those games?
Wild ARMs 2

-For personal skills, don't buy anything else until you've maxed HP Up. The effects are not retroactive. Parameter Up is pretty awesome too. Lilka should max MAtk Up for sure. PAtk/MAtk on anyone else is mostly preference. Defenses are decent too.

-Don't bother with status resistance skills since maxing them won't even make you immune. There are enough other ways to negate specific status changes, such as Status Lock. At least I think I remember it being in WA2. Don't waste points on any effects that happen at level up or near-death effects.

-Also don't bother upgrading Brad's accuracy ever. You'll be swimming in more than enough FP to Lock On every round. So spend the upgrades on power and maybe an extra bullet or three. I like to settle on something around 90% accuracy for Ashley's weapons.

-Apply crest caps liberally. It's an easy way to carry around free revives or an important buff until you amass a big pile of crest graphs. Even after that, Ashley can always use Accellerator to pop one without risk.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mad Surge posted:

Thanks a lot to you and to Artix74 too! I'm pretty slow and I'm just now looking at the first mission with a thief unit. About the "protect X for Y turns", am I right to assume that you can kill the enemy's commander and win that way if I'm fast/skilled enough?

Sometimes? It's still worth it for the experience, if you can manage.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I've never played a Civilization game before but I want to start. Is starting at Civ 4 a good idea? What addons/mods/expansions do I need with my first playthrough? Any newbie tips?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Happy Bear Suit posted:

I've never played a Civilization game before but I want to start. Is starting at Civ 4 a good idea? What addons/mods/expansions do I need with my first playthrough? Any newbie tips?

That's a great idea, as long as you have Beyond the Sword. I'd check out the tutorial from the vanilla game, then dive into a low difficulty match.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Happy Bear Suit posted:

ALWAYS be building soldiers.

Figure out what your city's fat cross is and how it works.

Beeline for Bronze Working, then use Slavery to speed production.

Try to make alliances with civs with whom you don't share borders.

Unless your military is literally unstoppable, it's usually a good idea to cave to the demands of other leaders. It keeps them happy with you and, if you're lucky, helps them declare war on your neighbours.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Happy Bear Suit posted:

The easiest difficulty is very easy and unforgiving. The ingame hints are good and mechanics are great. Just concentrate for 1-2 hours and you'll get.

One of the greatest games ever - seriously.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah, Civ4 + BtS is basically the best Civ game of all time. It's stable, all its functions work, the AI is great, the gameplay is great, the graphics are great, the interface is great. It's just a great game and it shows. Once you have a few hundred hours of game time into Civ4+BtS, try some of the mods; Legends of Revolution adds a bunch of minor and a few major elements that are worth experiencing. Never ever underestimate how good Civ4's modding community is.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Sly Cooper collection, anyone? Did I gently caress myself out of 100% because I went to the first hub place before opening the safe?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Capsaicin posted:

Sly Cooper collection, anyone? Did I gently caress myself out of 100% because I went to the first hub place before opening the safe?

Could you be a little clearer? I'm sure I could help you, but I'm just not sure what part you're talking about :shobon:

If you're talking about the tutorial level, there's no clue bottles or safe in those.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Here's a timesaver for console versions of Fallout: New Vegas.

-Sick of having to save using the slow-rear end save system? Just rest for one hour and the game will autosave. Over the course of the game, this will probably save you 30 minutes (if you are like me and paranoid of being overrun by deathclaws or caught stealing and save every five minutes).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gaggins posted:

Here's a timesaver for console versions of Fallout: New Vegas.

-Sick of having to save using the slow-rear end save system? Just rest for one hour and the game will autosave. Over the course of the game, this will probably save you 30 minutes (if you are like me and paranoid of being overrun by deathclaws or caught stealing and save every five minutes).

Except that this is terrible advice. I'm pretty sure that autosave is one of the primary causes of crashes in an already pretty buggy game. The save system isn't that slow, anyway.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

No it's not. I've yet to have the game crash except once when I tried to use my PipBoy. I've probably totaled less than 50 hours but I would expect to have run into that by now if it's that big of an issue.
Saving takes less than 15 seconds but I played Fallout 3 on a PC and am used to quicksaving so it seems like a loving eternity to me. I don't know why it took me so long to realize I could use resting for a quicksave substitute but it is something I wish I had known from the start.
So I guess DISCLAIMER: If autosave crashes your game don't do it.

e: typo

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gaggins posted:

I've yet to have the game crash except once when I tried to use my PipBoy. I've probably totaled less than 50 hours but I would expect to have run into that by now if it's that big of an issue.

You are very lucky. NV crashes about once an hour for me, and most frequently when autosaving. I think it's a pretty common problem.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Autosave never seems to work right for me. It usually works if I die, but half the time I'm convinced that I had just autosaved I reload the game later and I'm not where I thought I left off.

So yeah, I think there's a fair bit of luck involved with autosave. I don't trust it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Scientastic posted:

Except that this is terrible advice. I'm pretty sure that autosave is one of the primary causes of crashes in an already pretty buggy game. The save system isn't that slow, anyway.

Not really, actually. My game was very buggy and would crash routinely until I turned off all autosaves except while waiting/sleeping. Now I do the same thing Gaggins does and just wait an hour to force the game to save. I almost never encounter a lock-up while saving now.

The only downside is that you have to be really diligent about making saves. It's very easy to blow through an hour of content, moving from fight to fight, without ever stopping to save. Then when you die or your game crashes, you're going to be cursing yourself for not saving more often.