Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Seconding this, and nice replies so far. Really looking forward to see which other films really get the most from Blu Ray. Adding Taxi Driver and Dr. Strangelove on my to-buy list.

I'd also recommend buying the Alien Anthology (buy it from Amazon UK if you buy it, it's so overpriced in the US), or the individual Alien and Aleins releases that just came out if you don't want all the amazing making-of footage, because those films look unbelievably good on blu-ray.

Also of note is Avatar, if you like the movie.

Se7en (the new digibook/non-digibook-that-just-got-released, not the original release) also looks freaking fantastic, and is one of the highlights of my collection so far:

Fantastic Mr. Fox looks fantastic:

You also can't go wrong with any PIXAR movies:

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
DeepDiscount is a lovely, lovely store but if you have an account with them and used their wishlist feature, check your email.

They gave out a $10 giftcard that can be used on anything.

I grabbed Nixon for $1.78 shipped. Shame that Bloodsport/Timecop for $10.99 is in-stock but unable to be added to the cart and that I only have $4 in my bank account. $12.99 for The Illusionist would have been awesome too.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Seconding this, and nice replies so far. Really looking forward to see which other films really get the most from Blu Ray. Adding Taxi Driver and Dr. Strangelove on my to-buy list.

Almost any Criterion is worth it. Paris, Texas is pretty amazing.

I also remember The African Queen being really impressive.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 15, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

GonSmithe posted:

I'd also recommend buying the Alien Anthology (buy it from Amazon UK if you buy it, it's so overpriced in the US), or the individual Alien and Aleins releases that just came out if you don't want all the amazing making-of footage, because those films look unbelievably good on blu-ray.

Great rec's! I did get the Alien Anth from UK when it was on sale, and am actually just about to put in Aliens as I type. I need to get on the Pixar movies, it helps that I have kids too and we already watch Wall-E everyday on DVD. Thanks!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

Citizen Kane preorders are up at Amazon.

As far as I can tell, the Citizen Kane: Ultimate Collector's Edition is Citizen Kane on Blu-Ray, The Battle Over Citizen Kane on DVD and RKO 281 on DVD along with a whole bunch of other poo poo like books/cards/etc.

$45.49 $44.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0050G3NWG

There is also an Amazon only edition with a remastered The Magnificent Ambersons on DVD for an extra $10.50 $5

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001PIHH5M

Amazon spilled the beans on what's going to be in it.

(This is the Amazon exclusive version)

Bonus Disc: The Magnificent Ambersons (DVD)
Bonus Disc: RKO 281 (DVD)
Bonus Disc: American Experience: The Battle Over Citizen Kane (DVD)
Commentary by Peter Bogdanovich
Commentary by Roger Ebert
The Battle Over Citizen Kane Documentary
Opening: World Premier of Citizen Kane Vintage Featurettes
Interview with Ruth Warrick
Interview with Robert Wise
Storyboards
Call Sheets
Still Photography with Commentary by Roger Ebert
Deleted Scenes
Ad Campaign
Press Book
Opening Night
10/30/38 Mercury Theatre Broadcast of War of the Worlds (Audio Only)
10/28/40 KTSA, San Antonio Broadcast of H.G. Wells Meets Orson Welles (Audio Only)
Theatrical Trailer

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 15, 2011

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Did anyone see I AM Number Four?

It comes out on the 24th and I was thinking of blind buying it. I saw the rotten tomatoes reviews, but sometimes things that they list as lower are not really that bad. I think some critics critique some things that are really not a big deal.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Volcasarus ReX posted:

It comes out on the 24th and I was thinking of blind buying it. I saw the rotten tomatoes reviews, but sometimes things that they list as lower are not really that bad. I think some critics critique some things that are really not a big deal.

You're... kidding, right? That movie looked like absolute horse poo poo, and was reviewed as such.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

You're... kidding, right? That movie looked like absolute horse poo poo, and was reviewed as such.

Nope, not kidding. It got a 31 review, which I know is not that great, but it's really not anywhere close to a lot of other movies they give bad reviews to and tons of people still watch/like.

I'm not going to blind buy it for 30$ or something but if there is a B0G0 deal or it's only 10 or 15$ then I might pick it up. Sometimes I completely agree with the reviews and sometimes I think they are being to picky. I need to see it though to make a decision.

Priest got a 20 if any one thought that looked awesome. I just like to still see the movies and form my own opinion of them. Especially if they are cheap, cause sometimes Netflix takes forever to get newer movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Nope, not kidding. It got a 31 review, which I know is not that great, but it's really not anywhere close to a lot of other movies they give bad reviews to and tons of people still watch/like.

I'm not going to blind buy it for 30$ or something but if there is a B0G0 deal or it's only 10 or 15$ then I might pick it up. Sometimes I completely agree with the reviews and sometimes I think they are being to picky. I need to see it though to make a decision.

Priest got a 20 if any one thought that looked awesome. I just like to still see the movies and form my own opinion of them. Especially if they are cheap, cause sometimes Netflix takes forever to get newer movies.

I understand that rottentomatoes isn't the be all to end all of movie ratings, and there is plenty of stuff that didn't get a "fresh" rating that I love (The Fast and The Furious comes to mind), but what movie do you love, or even just like, that has a less than 31 on RT?

e:I know Block Buster is going out of business and everything, but there should be some sort of rental place near you with the movie. I get blind buying part of the film canon, but a random mid-winter Sci-Fi film doesn't make any sense.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 15, 2011

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Priest got a 20 if any one thought that looked awesome.

No one did. They thought it looked like a pile of poo poo.

Your taste seems to be quite the opposite of "everyone else." I'm sure you'll love I Am Number Four and Priest.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

No one did. They thought it looked like a pile of poo poo.

Your taste seems to be quite the opposite of "everyone else." I'm sure you'll love I Am Number Four and Priest.

Actually I also think priest is a horrible looking movie. It was more of an example of even though number four isn't that great there is always something worse.

You should totally be a film critic though but only do really simple vague reviews. Like it's a piece of poo poo, or if you actually liked something you could say...meh, it's tolerable

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I understand that rottentomatoes isn't the be all to end all of movie ratings, and there is plenty of stuff that didn't get a "fresh" rating that I love (The Fast and The Furious comes to mind), but what movie do you love, or even just like, that has a less than 31 on RT?

I don't know, you can't really search for movies based on rating as far as I know. There are some I think should be higher for sure. For example Snatch is a 72, that should at least be in the upper eighties if not higher.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Skwirl posted:

but what movie do you love, or even just like, that has a less than 31 on RT?

Your question made me think, so I did a quick perusal of movies on RT with a rating in their 20's and these are what I came up with:

Now, I'm really putting myself out there on some of these. Most of them, I wouldn't care to own, but really I don't think they all deserve a rating in their 20's.

The Wizard
Hook
Conan the Destroyer
Predator 2
Repo Men
Universal Soldier
Ninja Assassin
Bedtime Stores
Clash of the Titans 2010
Pandorum

Granted, most of these actually are actually pretty terrible and I mostly just remember them from my childhood or what-have-you. But, if they were on cable (which I don't even subscribe to) I probably wouldn't turn it off.

edit: just for fun, here's the link to search the films in their 20's

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Your question made me think, so I did a quick perusal of movies on RT with a rating in their 20's and these are what I came up with:

Now, I'm really putting myself out there on some of these. Most of them, I wouldn't care to own, but really I don't think they all deserve a rating in their 20's.

The Wizard
Hook
Conan the Destroyer
Predator 2
Repo Men
Universal Soldier
Ninja Assassin
Bedtime Stores
Clash of the Titans 2010
Pandorum

Granted, most of these actually are actually pretty terrible and I mostly just remember them from my childhood or what-have-you. But, if they were on cable (which I don't even subscribe to) I probably wouldn't turn it off.

RT is wildly divergent when it comes to movies from before 2000ish, because they aren't great at digging up older reviews, so the rankings are drawing from a smaller sample (Predator 2 samples 22 reviews, versus Predators which sample 175) and of the recent movies, if you had blind bought say, Ninja Assassin, would you have thought that a better deal than any of however many hundred of movies you have seen and loved that are available on Blu? Or more importantly, do you want to own it at all?

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

They were some in the twenties and thirties that I wouldn't consider bad movies., I know for a fact a lot of blu enthusiast have fantastic four and that has a lower score than number four so.....

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I don't think anybody here said anything good about Fantastic Four. :psyduck:

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

sethsez posted:

I don't think anybody here said anything good about Fantastic Four. :psyduck:

Didn't say they did, but I know a lot of people on the bluray.com forums have it in there collection.

Like I said I'm not going to buy it at 30$ but if I see it for like 10$ does anyone think it's worth 10..... Keep in mind that's just slightly more expensive than a burrito from Chipotle.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I figure if you plan to get a "bad" movie you should at least know for sure whether you like it, or at least have a sense that you would from other reviews/impressions.

My bad movie quota will be filled by the :rice: movies...one day. I was planning on getting the three movies, then they went and made a fourth and fifth movie.

edit: ^^^^^ The four Fast and the Furious movies are $10 each on Amazon, buy one of those!

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 15, 2011

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Didn't say they did, but I know a lot of people on the bluray.com forums have it in there collection.

These same people will also say that the DNR in the Predator re-release makes it look leaps and bounds better, and that The Evil Dead is an awful release because of how grainy it is.

And let's not begin to talk about slipcovers.

Point being, most of the people who post on blu-ray.com are morons.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Like I said I'm not going to buy it at 30$ but if I see it for like 10$ does anyone think it's worth 10..... Keep in mind that's just slightly more expensive than a burrito from Chipotle.

Lemme just settle this once and for all and say no, it is not worth a Chipotle burrito.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Lemme just settle this once and for all and say no, it is not worth a Chipotle burrito.

Nice one sir, maybe I'll talk one of my other friends into buying it so I can watch it.

And I do kinda want to get all of the fast and furious movies for the select ones that are decent, but I'm waiting for the box set that will probably be out some day.

And gonsmithe I bet if we compared favorite movies we would have similar ones. I just like to give ones that are less than favorable a chance before completely writing them off.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Nice one sir, maybe I'll talk one of my other friends into buying it so I can watch it.

Why not spend a dollar and get it from Redbox?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Steve Yun posted:

Well I guess that depends on a few things like: Have I recently eaten? Do I have heartburn atm? Do I plan on exercising within the next 2 hours?

Seriously though, I don't own any of those movies that I listed, and I probably wouldn't spend more than 8 dollars on their blu ray's.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I think I found your problem.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

^^^^ I don't go on there very often. Mostly when I'm just really bored at work and to check the calendar^^^^^

Koruthaiolos posted:

Why not spend a dollar and get it from Redbox?

I didn't realize redbox was also carrying blus now. I should have thought of that since I read two weeks ago they were going to start game rentals in June, makes since to do bluray movies if you are going to be renting out bluray games.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Volcasarus ReX posted:

It's like a sci-fi Twilight. I guess go ahead and watch it if you must but....whatever.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Buh Taxi Driver won't show up on my PS3. Other movies and games work :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheManWithNoName posted:

Buh Taxi Driver won't show up on my PS3. Other movies and games work :(

Did you do a system update now that the PSN is back up?

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
I may be the only one around here even interested in this title, but this is the first review I've seen for the new release of Gettysburg.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gettysburg-Blu-ray/21104/#Review

It doesn't look like this quite got the remaster treatment I was hoping for. drat you, Warner Brothers. :argh:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

the blu-ray.com forums are only good for checking deals.

If you read those forums for reviews of anything, you are a retard.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Volcasarus ReX posted:

If its not too late, let me chime in as someone that saw it just because I see every sci-fi movie that comes out, expecting it to be not that great, and even still I was disappointed. Every interesting shot in the movie is in the trailer, and they're all worse in context. The story is hokey beyond belief, and the general tone of the film is "Twilight, but worse". But if you enjoy movies about absurdly uninformed protagonists fighting comically dumb villains and also occasionally forgetting that they're being hunted by aliens that want them dead so that they can flirt with a high school girl, its the movie for you! I'm honestly shocked it managed a 31 rating, I can only surmise that a lot of reviewers were giving it a bunch of credit for being "for the kids."

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

sportsgenius86 posted:

That's not a review from some random user on their forums, that's actually an official site review.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Absolutely. No forum on the entire internet makes me want to punch people in the face more than the blu-ray.com forums.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
B-but slipcases and stickers!!! :argh:

It's slightly amusing until you realise that these people are 100% serious.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
UGH a bonus feature shot on tape in 1985 isn't in HD! I'm sticking with my HDTV rip!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Home Theater Forum can be as obnoxious.

Regardless of the forum, I want to tear my eyes out when I see 10-page arguments about how 1.78:1 transfers of 1.85:1 films are "ruining" the compositions. At least there's some curbing on the "why won't [studio] release [movie]" on every damned new release thread.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 16, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Home Theater Forum can be as obnoxious.

I just saw this post on HTF about Magnificent Ambersons:

some maniac posted:

So excited for this DVD! :D Another for my Colelction of Best Picture nominees... I almost have 'em all!!! :D

What kind of stupid gently caress collects (or "colelcts") Best Picture nominees? I bet he won't even watch it.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Got to say that the Black Swan clear blu-ray case is pretty nifty as far packaging goes. Can't wait to watch it tonight, but thank god I'm not a OCD blu-ray collector because the slip case was slightly damaged at the corner :argh:

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

charismaslover posted:

Got to say that the Black Swan clear blu-ray case is pretty nifty as far packaging goes. Can't wait to watch it tonight, but thank god I'm not a OCD blu-ray collector because the slip case was slightly damaged at the corner :argh:

Which region is this? The US one is a blue case?

E: Looks like it's a US Target exclusive. Looks pretty bland really.

Ingram fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 16, 2011

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Did you do a system update now that the PSN is back up?

I tried a couple other movies and ended up watching Scott Pilgrim. Popped in Taxi Driver afterwards and it works fine now, no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Holy poo poo, I foolishly ventured into the blu-ray.com forums after reading this thread, and these people are mentally ill.

Guy posted this after he posted pictures of his movie collection and someone noticed he had two copies of some blu-rays (Mrs. Doubtfire, End of Days).

quote:

ye the doubles lol....um on a few occasions i may have asked amazon.ca or .com to send me out a replacement copy (for a "damaged" disc, or whatever)

of course they rarely ask me for the original copy back

and when they do, i may test them to see if they end up following up to see if i've actually returned it

they never do follow up lol....i can't help myself sometimes lol

It would make sense if he did this to re-sell the extra copy or lend them out to friends (it would still be wrong) but he just puts them on the shelf and probably never even watches either copy.

And they know have a entire subforum dedicated to movies they want to see released on Blu. I found some interesting lists to say the least.

quote:

Nightmare on Elm Street collection
IT
Running Scared
Casino
TMNT (originals)
Fallen
Toy Story
Running Man
Cyborg
Final Destination
The Grinch (Jim Carrey)

quote:

religulous
...still waiting
behind the mask: the rise of leslie vernon
friday the 13th 4-8
jason x
halloween 2, 4, & H20
ginger snaps trilogy
prom night (original) & prom night 3
my bloody valentine ('81)

quote:

Judgement Night (1993). Such an awesome cast (Denis Leary, Cuba Gooding Jr., Emilio Estevez, Stephen Dorf, and Jeremy Piven). This was an extremely underrated film and used to scare me when I watched it as kid back because of the realism in it. Also the entire DBZ series on Blu-Ray.

• Locked thread