Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wakarooney
Aug 26, 2005

The Most Daintiest Southern Belle

Jerusalem posted:

Also Ray is so, so right, all people really want is to eat some loving dinner and have some loving money.

I second that! Seriously considering animating this particular strip...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jerusalem posted:

God I love the "developing...." at the bottom of that headline. Also Ray is so, so right, all people really want is to eat some loving dinner and have some loving money.

rear end in a top hat.

"You can do whatever you want in life" is my new desktop background. I love it.

e: Also, the number of times a week where I say someone's name and follow it up with "Real name Brian Wheat, as has been proven" is astounding.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 21, 2011

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

A lot of people, rightly, love The Great Outdoor Fight but I think Philippe's trip to the transfer station has some of Onstad's best writing.

The transfer station takes them all through its doors. And when they can work no more they fall in among the trash and become it and are gone

Yessssss. Zell and Cory are some of Onstad's best characters and, in my opinion, definitely the best drawn.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I honestly don't remember what arc it is, but there's a strip where Teodor responds to Ray inviting him somewhere by saying "Is there sluts all up in? YOU KNOW I don't go anywhere unless there's sluts all up in", and then Ray gets mad. It became a running joke with me and my friends for a bit. Anybody got the strip?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I honestly don't remember what arc it is, but there's a strip where Teodor responds to Ray inviting him somewhere by saying "Is there sluts all up in? YOU KNOW I don't go anywhere unless there's sluts all up in", and then Ray gets mad. It became a running joke with me and my friends for a bit. Anybody got the strip?

http://www.ohnorobot.com/index.pl?comic=636&s=sluts&search=Find

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Eeveegou posted:

Hey guys! Animated Achewood strip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k21oOO0xPw

I will be making a handful more of these. Tell me what you think (this was from a strip after Roast Beef comes home from the moon) I tried to keep it in style hence the black and white... I also tried to put on my most Philippe-iest voice.

Great work, smooth and wet. Any chance you'll be doing this one?

Borrego
May 17, 2010

I need pictures!
Pictures of Greaser-Man!

Eeveegou posted:

Hey guys! Animated Achewood strip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k21oOO0xPw

I will be making a handful more of these. Tell me what you think (this was from a strip after Roast Beef comes home from the moon) I tried to keep it in style hence the black and white... I also tried to put on my most Philippe-iest voice.

Wow, that is seriously awesome. I love how you voice Philipe, I can't wait to see another!

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
I didn't get any answers back from the emails I sent about my orders so I filed a credit claim. Did anyone else hear anything or is it just me?

Wakarooney
Aug 26, 2005

The Most Daintiest Southern Belle

Borrego posted:

Wow, that is seriously awesome. I love how you voice Philipe, I can't wait to see another!

Thanks, man! I really appreciate it... I want to get started on another one soon, something a little more complicated. I was thinking about the one from the previous poster where Philippe gets socked in the stomach for X-Mas.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I really, really want a copy of The Achewood Cookbook after reading up on it on that one blog where the guy walks through it. Is it up in the fanflow? Is there any way to beg/borrow/buy it from anyone?

Djolly
May 4, 2011

war. on drugs.

Skyscraper posted:

I really, really want a copy of The Achewood Cookbook after reading up on it on that one blog where the guy walks through it. Is it up in the fanflow? Is there any way to beg/borrow/buy it from anyone?

Send me twenty bucks, I'll shoot it right over. Trust me.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Djolly posted:

Send me twenty bucks, I'll shoot it right over. Trust me.

If you want to make it official, let's do this.

Djolly
May 4, 2011

war. on drugs.

Skyscraper posted:

If you want to make it official, let's do this.

I was worried it might be taken seriously - I was trying to make a dig about the pre-order situation. Sorry to get your hopes up! My copy is long since lost in a move.

Good luck in finding it, though.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Djolly posted:

I was worried it might be taken seriously - I was trying to make a dig about the pre-order situation. Sorry to get your hopes up! My copy is long since lost in a move.

Good luck in finding it, though.

Yeah I was pretty sure you were joking, but at this point I'll try anything. There are plenty of cookbooks out there, but aside from the obvious charm of Achewood, this one also has the benefit of knowing exactly what I want to be cooking.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Unexpected EOF posted:

I didn't get any answers back from the emails I sent about my orders so I filed a credit claim. Did anyone else hear anything or is it just me?

Nope, only silence. I have done the same.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Skyscraper posted:

I have one but you can't have it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

withak posted:

I have one but you can't have it.
Then why bother to post about it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Wouldn't hurt to scan it up for the guy man.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wouldn't hurt to scan it up for the guy man.
I'd even be happy with some cameraphone photos, if I could read the recipes off them.

A Tasty Burger
Feb 14, 2007

TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION
I actually have a copy scanned up. I don't know what the legal situation on it is though. I mean you can't buy it anymore, so maybe it's okay? If it's all right with the mods I could toss it up on mediafire or something.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

A Tasty Burger posted:

I actually have a copy scanned up. I don't know what the legal situation on it is though. I mean you can't buy it anymore, so maybe it's okay? If it's all right with the mods I could toss it up on mediafire or something.

let's email Onstad about it, see if he'll reply to THAT. :v:

The cookbook was one of the self published things, so, I'm fairly sure no one would hit you with a cease and desist, but still, it's kind of wrong. It IS a great cookbook, though.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
Is there a copyright notice in the front of it? Even if there isn't, unless it's some kind of copyleft, creative commons, open document, blah-de-blah, it's probably a bad idea.

If there is a copyright, it'll expire 70 years after Onstad's death, so... just sit tight?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

McGravin posted:

Is there a copyright notice in the front of it? Even if there isn't, unless it's some kind of copyleft, creative commons, open document, blah-de-blah, it's probably a bad idea.

If there is a copyright, it'll expire 70 years after Onstad's death, so... just sit tight?

If it's written by the cats and Achewood is dead shouldn't it be just about public domain by now in cat years?

:iceburn:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

McGravin posted:

This is accurate. It sucks that it's unavailable, but if you scan and share it, that's :filez:, my friend.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
All else failed, you can just phone the dude and yell out the recipes really loudly down the phone.

Man, I wish there was an Achewood comic about this :(.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ManiacClown posted:

This is accurate. It sucks that it's unavailable, but if you scan and share it, that's :filez:, my friend.

I think the fact that this is not something you can buy, plus the fact that in order to make a claim against SA, Onstad would have to admit to fraud, kinda protects SA from any legal issues.

A Tasty Burger
Feb 14, 2007

TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION
It says copyright Chris Onstad in the front so I guess it probably wouldn't be legal, but it really blows that there's no legitimate way for me to share the recipe for Pat's 12-step cookies because those are probably the best chocolate chip cookies I know how to make.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think the fact that this is not something you can buy, plus the fact that in order to make a claim against SA, Onstad would have to admit to fraud, kinda protects SA from any legal issues.

That's not really how it works. Like, at all.

For one thing, the fraud and the breach of copyright are separate issues and would be handled separately in a court of law. And for another thing, there are plenty of books that are out of print and exist in limited quantities, but are still fully protected by copyright; you can't just bring a copy into Kinkos and walk away with ten new copies.

Besides, :filez: is explicitly against the rules on SA, so Lowtax doesn't really have anything to worry about legally. The person who has to worry would be whoever scans and uploads the pages. Not only about being sued, but also about being banned from SA for an extra kick in the balls.

I'm not trying to ruin your fun here, guys. I want a copy of the cookbook too.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

A Tasty Burger posted:

It says copyright Chris Onstad in the front so I guess it probably wouldn't be legal,

Copyright exists as soon as a work is "fixed," i.e. as soon as he writes it down. Even if it doesn't say copyright or have the © symbol.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

A Tasty Burger posted:

It says copyright Chris Onstad in the front so I guess it probably wouldn't be legal, but it really blows that there's no legitimate way for me to share the recipe for Pat's 12-step cookies because those are probably the best chocolate chip cookies I know how to make.

Copyright only protects creative or expressive works. Factual information and methods, including recipes, are excluded. So, you can share the ingredients and process, but not in Onstad's exact words, which sort of takes some of the fun out of it.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

In a non-copyright-breaking vein, here's an excerpt from it Onstad submitted as an article for Salon.com. Roast Beef takes us through how to make home fries, while Ray takes us through how to drink wine like a pro.

Warning: this will only make you hate the fact you can't get your hands on a copy even more.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ChuckDHead posted:

here's an excerpt from it

Warning: this will only make you hate the fact you can't get your hands on a copy even more.
I actually already have everything publicly available (I totally do my homework before approaching random strangers on the internet), and yeah, that's exactly what it does.

Dark Chicken
Dec 15, 2002

ChuckDHead posted:

In a non-copyright-breaking vein, here's an excerpt from it Onstad submitted as an article for Salon.com. Roast Beef takes us through how to make home fries, while Ray takes us through how to drink wine like a pro.

Nah, it just makes me hate pretty much everybody in the comments.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Dark Chicken posted:

Nah, it just makes me hate pretty much everybody in the comments.

Oh my god. I didn't even see those before. Let's look at some, so I can share my pain:

some redneck posted:

You DO buy wine in boxes. You buy it because if you buy a bottle you'll drink the whole bottle at one sitting and become an obnoxious drunk. You can keep a box of wine up to four, five months after opening. And it doesn't matter what color the wine is; you keep it cold so it doesn't get moldy. I'll bet this guy keeps his bottle of catsup out, and he has to scrape the crust off it every time he wants to use it - whenever he can afford something to eat.

I literally only buy wine to cook with, and even I know that drinking it out of a box makes you look like a goddamn hobo.

that kid from the "That's Racist" GIF posted:

..."Waiters with dreadlocks" is a "SHORTCOMING"?!!! WTF?!

Enough with the racism already. Of course many lovely, decent, hardworking people have dreadlocks.

Perhaps you should be dining with Don Imus.

Apparently this guy's never met a white guy with skanky dreads.

someone insane posted:

"You know how some people got perfect pitch, and always like wince and complain about whatever you play on your musical instrument, or point out how the music you listen to isn't actually "correct"? And they only listen to classical music? They are like the people who worry about wine matching food. Everyone hates them."

Sez you, stereotypically. Up to that point, I was amused.

You make it sound like you are actually in the same room with a [wait for it] Classical Musician. OMG!!! OOOH, how did you manage to come out alive? And then you were the victim of stereotypical rudeness and uppityness. Oh sure. Love of ALL music is pretty much a prerequisite for being a musician. You act like "classical" musicians actually act in the way your text suggests. Oh, and, of course, we've never, ever listened to anything but Mozart. No other genres for us, no siree. Well, most of us are under 100, golleeeeeee, and actually have heard/liked/loved/played all sorts of music. So quit with the tired, stale and boring streotyping.

Get a life. Quit being a "labeler".

I bet you go for the fat opera soprano stuff, too. And horned Viking helmets. You live dangerously, don't you?

I rant, I know; but I'm tired of all this stuff. Kind of like that "Italian" or "French" music used in ads---oh yeah, like they listen to that crap in France and Italy and wherever these days. WTF decade are they describing? And where?

It is sort of an American aversion to reality. I want my Italian to come with a concertina, not an opera, dammit.

Ah, the revered, all-American typecasting. Guess we're all just too stupid to understand "we're an Italian restaurant", without the little cues, visual or aural.

I know, this is a serious rant for a light article; now think about the recent damage Don Imus has done, with stereotypical labeling.

Is is just a matter of degree?

IGNORANT TYPECASTING IS ALWAYS HURTFUL.

So think about it.

Yes folks, the most maligned group on earth, the classical music fan. Those middle-aged-to-elderly white people have suffered so much discrimination and hatred...

So yeah, a lot of people don't "get" Achewood.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

projecting alcoholic posted:

You DO buy wine in boxes. You buy it because if you buy a bottle you'll drink the whole bottle at one sitting and become an obnoxious drunk.
This is an incredible statement.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

I literally only buy wine to cook with, and even I know that drinking it out of a box makes you look like a goddamn hobo.

I don't mean to white knight all the dreadlocked, lower-class, classical musician hoboes like those folks in the comments, but these days there are a few box wine labels that are pretty good, on par with your average bottled wine. Bota Box specifically, and I've heard good things about Black Box supposedly.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

McGravin posted:

I don't mean to white knight all the dreadlocked, lower-class, classical musician hoboes like those folks in the comments, but these days there are a few box wine labels that are pretty good, on par with your average bottled wine. Bota Box specifically, and I've heard good things about Black Box supposedly.

This is news to me, but like I said, I know barely anything about wine. If only I had that drat cookbook, maybe Ray could enlighten me further...

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

The thing with wine is really the same as the thing with mac vs PC or hetero vs homo or whatev. Do you enjoy it? Does it work for you? Then great, that's the best option for you. My wife and I are giant foodies and winos and there are a number of 'low-class' things like certain brands of boxed wine or broke-food recipes that we love, and (to borrow a Ray-ism) that's all right, because that's okay. Understanding why you dry-age some cuts of beef to get the best flavor out of them doesn't mean you can't really enjoy getting on the outside of a bowl of red beans and rice. Similarly, being enough of a wine snob to really understand why different varieties of wine are served in different shapes of glasses or even bottled in different shapes of bottles doesn't mean you are somehow not 'allowed' to think the cab-sav they sell in the Wine Cube at Target is pretty tasty.

Really. Sidestep the whole argument of what you're SUPPOSED to like or not like and just enjoy what you like and don't bother with what you don't. Being a foodie is supposed to give you MORE options, not less.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I like cheeseburgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

ChuckDHead posted:

Once when I was walking out of the grocery store, I saw an opened, flattened cardboard wine box in the parking lot; whoever bought it apparently decided, "Cardboard? gently caress that fancy bullshit, I'LL JUST SUCK IT DIRECTLY OUT OF THE MYLAR BAG!" and left the empty box behind.

I'm not sure what kind of person does that, but clearly, they are a special case.