Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Here's an example of how it's better to educate yourself before, not after, the bill comes in:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411244

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Is residual power usage from things like microwaves and other appliances so serious that my roomates need to unplug them every-time and turn off computers when not in use, not even sleep mode but a full shutdown

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

wigtrade.cc posted:

Is residual power usage from things like microwaves and other appliances so serious that my roomates need to unplug them every-time and turn off computers when not in use, not even sleep mode but a full shutdown

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/vampire.html
This link has a lot of good info about it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
So I just spent 20 minutes or so playing a free online game called Space Is Key from this site: http://www.addictinggames.com/arcade-games/index.jsp

It was fun enough, but it made me realize I don't understand something that's probably pretty important about the Internet: how is anybody making any money?

I have a vague understanding that people sell ads for stuff, but I don't really understand how any of it works. Like, I see some random ads in my g-mail, but I never click on them or anything, unless they sound really funny.

Maybe this is a big question, but looking at just my example might help me understand how it works: so, in the example of the free online game (and there must be thousands of these games on various sites), some questions:

1. Did the person who made the game get paid for it? If so, by who? And what method of payment, i.e., a lump sum, based on how many people play it, etc? I don't really know anything about programming or how long it would take to make a typical free online game, but it seems like it would be a lot of work.

2. How is the site itself able to offer hundreds of free games? I see there's some way you can become a member of the site by giving them your e-mail address and stuff, but why would anyone do that? And does that get them money somehow?

3. I see a banner ad for Papa John's on the site, so I'm guessing Papa John's pays the site money to have its banner ad there? Do people really click on banner ads?

I guess I'm just really confused about this, and it struck me as fairly fundamental to understanding the modern world.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
So Hitler tried to kill all of the Jews, the Turks killed a bunch or Armenians, the Hutus killed a bunch of Tutsis; there are lots of instances like this throughout history. What I'm wondering is has there ever been a genocide where the entire nation of people were killed? I'm not counting cases of cultural absorption; but where one group of people considers another group subhuman or whatever, and actually succeeded in their goal of killing them all.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I think Tasmanians come closest to matching those details. The wikipedia article is thorough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_Aborigines

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

A Strange Aeon posted:

So I just spent 20 minutes or so playing a free online game called Space Is Key from this site: http://www.addictinggames.com/arcade-games/index.jsp

It was fun enough, but it made me realize I don't understand something that's probably pretty important about the Internet: how is anybody making any money?

I have a vague understanding that people sell ads for stuff, but I don't really understand how any of it works. Like, I see some random ads in my g-mail, but I never click on them or anything, unless they sound really funny.

Maybe this is a big question, but looking at just my example might help me understand how it works: so, in the example of the free online game (and there must be thousands of these games on various sites), some questions:

1. Did the person who made the game get paid for it? If so, by who? And what method of payment, i.e., a lump sum, based on how many people play it, etc? I don't really know anything about programming or how long it would take to make a typical free online game, but it seems like it would be a lot of work.

2. How is the site itself able to offer hundreds of free games? I see there's some way you can become a member of the site by giving them your e-mail address and stuff, but why would anyone do that? And does that get them money somehow?

3. I see a banner ad for Papa John's on the site, so I'm guessing Papa John's pays the site money to have its banner ad there? Do people really click on banner ads?

I guess I'm just really confused about this, and it struck me as fairly fundamental to understanding the modern world.

To answer your question in the simplest way possible, yes people click on banner ads, to the point that you would be very surprised.

Some ads are pay per click, some are pay per signup etc. Some signups could pay whoever put that ad there a few dollars each. The people who put those ads up are generally just affiliates who post ads.

Affiliates are paid by the people who created the ads. What that person does with your info is up to them. Maybe they will use your email address to send you more target ads, i.e. you clicked an ad while playing an online game so maybe they send you offers to get a subscription to video game nerd weekly or something.

Just for an example check out some of the current offers available to me:

(and yes, if I posted an ad in the right place for a $1,000 walmart gift card some sad old hillbilly who somehow has the internet would click it.)

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

The Aphasian posted:

They lowered your credit limit because you went over, not because you paid it off. And you should always be working on making your credit score better; bad marks last much longer than good ones.

This has mostly been answered, but as far as why they waited to lower your limit, they actually aren't allowed to lower your credit limit to a level where your debt exceeds the limit. That's why they had to wait.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wigtrade.cc posted:

They're pretty much obsessing over saving $1-$4 a month in electricity bills.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Can someone tell me how the word "notwithstanding" is used and how to set it off (or not) with commas? I see that there's several uses for this word. The main case I'm wondering about is when notwithstanding is used with "that", so "...notwithstanding that..." How would I properly punctuate a sentence that has this pair of words?

Also other instances of notwithstanding. Thanks!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Dudebro posted:

Can someone tell me how the word "notwithstanding" is used and how to set it off (or not) with commas? I see that there's several uses for this word. The main case I'm wondering about is when notwithstanding is used with "that", so "...notwithstanding that..." How would I properly punctuate a sentence that has this pair of words?

Also other instances of notwithstanding. Thanks!

Do you mean "...notwithstanding that..." as in "It was a beautiful day yesterday, notwithstanding that it rained intermittently."? Let's go to Google Books!

I personally find the notwithstanding-that construction a little clunky. Instead of "It was a beautiful day yesterday, notwithstanding that it rained intermittently" I would have "It was a beautiful day yesterday, intermittent rain notwithstanding" which is, to be fair, kind of a clichéd construction, but I think it flows better. More uses:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Thanks. That was a really thorough response. The clauses I'm talking about are longer ones like the one you included so it would be awkward to put notwithstanding at the end of the clause.

I don't really get the use of the word outside the meaning of "despite or in spite of". When it's used with "that", would it be a conjunction?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Dudebro posted:

Thanks. That was a really thorough response. The clauses I'm talking about are longer ones like the one you included so it would be awkward to put notwithstanding at the end of the clause.

I don't really get the use of the word outside the meaning of "despite or in spite of". When it's used with "that", would it be a conjunction?

I am no grammar genius, but I think it'd be considered a preposition.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Question is how horny. Now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's a good place I can upload a 1.2 gb file for just a few people to download? I tried megaupload, but apparently for big files the downloaders need to be members (it didn't make me sign up for anything). I've considered just throwing it on google docs, but would like to know what other good choices there are.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

hooah posted:

What's a good place I can upload a 1.2 gb file for just a few people to download? I tried megaupload, but apparently for big files the downloaders need to be members (it didn't make me sign up for anything). I've considered just throwing it on google docs, but would like to know what other good choices there are.

Your easiest option is probably going to just be to make a torrent and share it that way.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

hooah posted:

Dropbox, perhaps?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Dropbox, perhaps?

Echoing this. Dropbox is pretty much always the easiest option for uploading anything under 2gb, or 8gb if you have a lot of friends or flexible morality.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I don't know if I'll be able to word this right, but here goes: is there any literary expression that describes a scene wherein a person views their death as a reward? I thought of a few examples at work but right now I can only remember two of them:

1.) Black Swan. At the end of the movie when Natalie Portman dies, she seems content because she felt perfect for a moment.

2.) In some Doctor Who episode featuring one of the more recent Doctors, the little guy from The Young Ones stars as a member of a very combative race of aliens who view serving in battle as the greatest honor. When the Young Ones guy dies (I think it was his character), he slumps over and says something like "it's bliss", because he was killed in battle and that is an achievement for his people.

If you know what I'm getting at, could you give me more examples, or perhaps a name for the concept? Thanks Goons.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

TVTropes tends to be great for that kind of stuff. I found this, which lacks a flashy name like a lot of them but seems to fit the bill.

And if that's not quite what you're looking for, you can skim this list, though that might take some time.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Rubies posted:

I don't know if I'll be able to word this right, but here goes: is there any literary expression that describes a scene wherein a person views their death as a reward? I thought of a few examples at work but right now I can only remember two of them:
If you know what I'm getting at, could you give me more examples, or perhaps a name for the concept? Thanks Goons.

You're probably looking for Martyr Without a Cause and related concepts.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Dropbox, perhaps?

Yup, remembered my dropbox account shortly after posting.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

What is the best way to learn about growing bonsai trees? Any books to recommend? Other important things to know?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

http://www.filedropper.com/ is actually exactly what you're looking for.

Dropbox can get pissy if you're spiking your bandwidth so be careful.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I have a pair of earrings and two necklaces that are made out of whatever cheap jewelry is made out of. The stuff that tarnishes and turn your neck/finger/ears green. That isn't so much the problem as the horrible metallic rot-like smell they give off. How can I stop the tarnish and stop the smell? Someone suggested clear nail polish but that will make the chains of the necklaces stiff and the earrings are tiered metal so it would make them stiff as well.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

silversiren posted:

I have a pair of earrings and two necklaces that are made out of whatever cheap jewelry is made out of. The stuff that tarnishes and turn your neck/finger/ears green. That isn't so much the problem as the horrible metallic rot-like smell they give off. How can I stop the tarnish and stop the smell? Someone suggested clear nail polish but that will make the chains of the necklaces stiff and the earrings are tiered metal so it would make them stiff as well.

The color and smell both come from metal oxidation, green is typical because they usually use copper or nickel. Real jewelry polish is specifically made to remove and sometimes help slow oxidation, so that's a good call if you really like the pieces. As for household items, both vinegar and lemon juice are commonly used for the acidity and might work just as well as real polish, so definitely give that a try. (edit: btw you probably don't want to mess with acidic stuff if it's real precious metal jewelry. it's totally fine for cheap stuff but i wouldn't touch real silver with it to be safe.)

You'll want to keep the jewelry as dry as possible in general, both after you clean it and if it ever gets sweaty or something. Moisture really does a number on the metal. Usually verdigris indicates a certain amount of damage already done to the metal, but if you clean it and can keep it from gunking up it should last much longer.

Ror fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 14, 2011

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
i recently started making woodcut prints and i've gotten to the point where i think some of the stuff is pretty cool and i want to try and sell it in the SA Mart forum.

the problem is that i know nothing about mailing packages! obviously i will be sending them in poster tubes, but before i make the thread i want to know how much it will cost so ship them to anyone who buys them. i visited the usps and fedex websites which were of little help. usps quoted me $25 and fedex quoted $50! this does not seem right at all...

does anyone know how much the poster tubes cost? how much does it cost to mail one? what is the cheapest method?

thanks in advance

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If I used buckyballs or some other rare earth magnet set, would it be possible to make a sculpture with a floating bit if I have everything aligned properly?

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
A dilemma I need help with: I can't afford Gamefly and need an alternative.

I currently have a Gamefly account, but I can't afford the 2-disc plan (which says it's 22.95 but is really 24.95), and I can't justify the 1-disc plan (says 15.95 but is probably closer to 17.95). The closest Blockbuster is 20/30 minutes away and I can't afford game stores, nor do I have any games worth something to sell.

Is there any alternative left? I live in Central New Jersey, 08721, if that helps anything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One of my shoes has developed a problem where the insole gradually slides backwards and bunches up behind my heel, leaving an unpadded area at the other end. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Any surefire way to fix it in place?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

haveblue posted:

One of my shoes has developed a problem where the insole gradually slides backwards and bunches up behind my heel, leaving an unpadded area at the other end. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Any surefire way to fix it in place?

You can use Shoe Goo to glue the insole back in. Or, presumably, a cobbler can do it for you.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

change my name posted:

a floating bit

Probably, but maybe not. It depends on what you actually mean by "a floating bit."

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

change my name posted:

If I used buckyballs or some other rare earth magnet set, would it be possible to make a sculpture with a floating bit if I have everything aligned properly?

You can't levitate objects in a stable magnetic field unfortunately, check out Earnshaw's theorem.

Unless your object is superconducting or your magnetic field is strong enough to induce diamagnetism (it isn't).

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 15, 2011

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Does anyone else keep getting friend invites from fleshed out facebook accounts with (stock) photos and status updates, but no friends?

What's the deal with this? I have had one as a friend for ages, have had no spam or messages or anything.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Grr this one is REALLY stupid. I got a new computer and for some reason the active desktop bullshit will not shut off. I've looked everywhere and tried whatever i've found and I can't get it off. Jesus I just want my awesome bunny picture as my background not some blue void, it's distracting.

Edit: Never mind figured it out through a registry edit. Yay me

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I have a PDF that was saved with 2 pages per page. If that doesn't make sense, it's horizontal with two pages next to each other. Is there a program or way to automatically split all the pages and put them in order so it's one page of the document per pdf page?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zegnar posted:

You can't levitate objects in a stable magnetic field unfortunately, check out Earnshaw's theorem.

Unless your object is superconducting or your magnetic field is strong enough to induce diamagnetism (it isn't).
So how do all those magnetic levitating toy things work then? Example: http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Channel-LEVG4-Stellanova-Levitating/dp/B000HZGM9G

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Zegnar posted:

Does anyone else keep getting friend invites from fleshed out facebook accounts with (stock) photos and status updates, but no friends?

What's the deal with this? I have had one as a friend for ages, have had no spam or messages or anything.

I've run into a similar situation recently - some clearly made up profile of an attractive girl who claims she graduated from my high school and lives in my hometown friended me and like 400 of my friends.

This is just a theory that I came up with, so take it with a grain of salt, but I'm thinking that these profiles are used to mine demographic information from people. Being friends with someone on Facebook gives you access to gender, age, location, and interests; all information that is very valuable to marketers. I haven't seen them being used maliciously, so it leads me to believe that its just crawling data.

Could be wrong though, so feel free to call me out if so.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Zegnar posted:

I used to get these a lot, and it was always easy to tell because the message was always "Please add me". I imagine ^^^ is right about them being able to get your information since I don't know what else they could do (unless when they added you they started to take a more active role in communicating with and scamming you), but some of the information they may get access to, like your birthday, could be used for identity theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

randyest posted:

So how do all those magnetic levitating toy things work then? Example: http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Channel-LEVG4-Stellanova-Levitating/dp/B000HZGM9G

Either they aren't stable, three ways:

1) Magnetic attraction from above with a electronically controlled cut out when it gets too close

2) Magnetic repulsion from below constantly adjusted by algorithm

3) The object only levitates while it spins

or stable but 4) They are resting against another object in one axis (can be above)

or 5) I've never seen this but a very high frequency electromagnetic field could work

12&5 require constant electric power, 3 only lasts a minute or so, and 4 isn't too impressive to look at

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 15, 2011