Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
The way Jose Bautista is hitting, he's going to single-handedly lower Target Field from -4/-4 to -2/-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

Your turn to pick your pitcher :)

How the hell did you get that high?
Because Rogers Hornsby and John Clarkson cost a lot. Granted you don't need half of those seasons, but filling up 25 slots ends up being costly. In fact, I can only fit 24 of them on my team. I'll need a 200k scrub I think to take that last spot just to fit under the cap.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Ivan Drago posted:

Because Rogers Hornsby and John Clarkson cost a lot. Granted you don't need half of those seasons, but filling up 25 slots ends up being costly. In fact, I can only fit 24 of them on my team. I'll need a 200k scrub I think to take that last spot just to fit under the cap.

200k hitter or pitcher?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I've never actually played a $255m so I might join that one for kicks.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

I've never done a league higher than $140 mil I think. I don't know, a $255 sounds kinda boring to me. Everyone will have the same players.

It's true that everyone could, but if you're like us and enjoy having fun, a $255 cap is an empty canvas to do whatever you want.

Also, while there's some big names on the blacklist, you can still build an outrageous, dinger-killing staff.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

200k hitter or pitcher?
I only have 8 Clarksons so I'll have a pitcher. Bill Clarkson has a $300k season that would keep things in line. You can pick whoever though, it's not like I'll need them.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

It has to be 200k and it has to be as lovely as possible

Can I suggest 2010 Jeff Suppan

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Hah, the unstoppable triumvirate that is Rogers Hornsby, John Clarkson and Jeff Suppan!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

League Number sent!

Edit: and i'm okay with Suppan. Do it.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Obviously an Astrodome team. I'm still trying to think of a better name than The Angry Racist.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I need two $200k guys

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

kensei posted:

I need two $200k guys

hitter or pitcher?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ArtVandelay posted:

hitter or pitcher?

I don't think either will play, but give me one of each please.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

kensei posted:

1956 Jim Delsing
1977 Frank Lacorte

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

kensei posted:

Wouldn't it be better to do this in the WIS forum thread (especially so the other owners can see that you're getting 200k guys)?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Wouldn't it be better to do this in the WIS forum thread (especially so the other owners can see that you're getting 200k guys)?

I did, I was just thinking Art was here more...

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Alright, my $255m team is done.

And doing the line-up analysis was quite different than usual.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

I'd vary that team more.

toadee has said how he has had success at 255m by essentially building two teams within a team, that way you can adjust who you're playing based on who your opponent is. Get enough lefties and righties (or switch hitters) so that if you're up against a tough righty or lefty pitcher you can skew your lineup. Get enough lefty and righty pitchers that you can do the same thing to your opponent's lineup.

Also, I'd add some speed. If you're up against a pitcher or a staff that doesn't allow any home runs, or a catcher (York) that has a bad arm, put your Raineses and Rickeys into the lineup to take advantage of it. Maybe use someone like Reyes instead of Banks - both will likely suck against all the elite pitching but at least Reyes can swipe some bags for you and maybe hit some triples in Coors.

You may want to take fewer relievers and get more elite pitchers with more innings (think Tiny Bonham, Elton Chamberlain, JR Richard) so you can have a more diverse bench.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 15, 2011

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Chamberlain is one of nine pitchers blacklisted (Maddux, Pedro, Addie, Johnson, Alexander, Mathewson, Gagne, Eck).

I've pulled the team out and will tweak it a little later, probably, but I don't know that I'll be able to be that line-up intensive with it, really. That's a lot of effort. :) The original build was based purely on HR/100# for hitters and the best combo of OAV#/WHIP#/HR/9# for pitchers.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Hey guys, WIS gave me a free trial of 2011 Brandon League. Here's a look at the results!

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I need a name for my Carl Mays and Barry team

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

nasboat posted:

And doing the line-up analysis was quite different than usual.

Assuming that's the Gehrig and Foxx that actually have ratings at those positions, they'll probably be hilariously terrible, maybe even more so than a year that doesn't have a rating at all. But it has modern Bonds so gently caress yeah.

Meanwhile, I think I'm entering this in an OL. Drafting the starting pitching based on hitting ability is obviously an abominably bad idea and makes this team far worse than if I'd just thrown some deadballers in there, but gently caress it, Coooooooors.

Maybe we can win 50 games

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Maybe we can win 50 games

If you don't mind, maybe hold off on entering that and we can do a semi-goon rush. I know some people have some OL teams in mind they'd like to enter and it's a chance to get Groucho and some of the other people that have shown interest indoctrinated into WIS.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

AlleyViper posted:

If you don't mind, maybe hold off on entering that and we can do a semi-goon rush. I know some people have some OL teams in mind they'd like to enter and it's a chance to get Groucho and some of the other people that have shown interest indoctrinated into WIS.

Lol, I'm already making a different (hopefully not as horrible) team that I can enter for a rush. I'd prefer a team with that horrific of a pitching staff not be in a league full of goons to be honest.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Assuming that's the Gehrig and Foxx that actually have ratings at those positions, they'll probably be hilariously terrible, maybe even more so than a year that doesn't have a rating at all. But it has modern Bonds so gently caress yeah.

Nah, those were just the positions where I liked their bats better than the natural options there (though I still have natural options there, obviously). Since I had to learn about playing guys out of position for two-man band league, I made sure not to use the seasons that had (bad) ratings at those positions.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

gardenald posted:

I need a name for my Carl Mays and Barry team

The Barryal of Ray Chapman

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

You're probably going to hell :v:

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14712619&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=109

:lol:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Power of Pecota posted:

Yesssss

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I call upon the cleverness of Goondom to help me with a name for Orval Overall and Luke Appling!

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
how do I draft people out of position? I can't seem to get Ichiro to be a shortstop. He doesn't come up when I search for him in the draft center :(

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

ManifunkDestiny posted:

how do I draft people out of position? I can't seem to get Ichiro to be a shortstop. He doesn't come up when I search for him in the draft center :(

Get the player ID of the Ichiro you want, then go add any random dude to your team as a SS. Right after you do that, the URL of the draft page will have the player ID of that random guy. Replace that number with the appropriate number for the desired Ichiro year and hit enter. Now Ichiro should be your SS!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

toadee posted:

I call upon the cleverness of Goondom to help me with a name for Orval Overall and Luke Appling!

When in doubt: anagram

Galleria Oval Plover Plunk
Aeroplane Vulva Glop Krill
Vaginae Pall Provoker Lull
Ravage Navel Lollipop Lurk
Alkaline Valor Grovel Pulp
Parallel Villa Groove Punk

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Parallel Villa Groove Punk it is!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I am up for rush whenever with newer and rangier experiments.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
for the 2 man band league, is it reasonable to set everyone's pull rating at 5 since I have a ridiculous overabundance of innings (2250+)?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ManifunkDestiny posted:

for the 2 man band league, is it reasonable to set everyone's pull rating at 5 since I have a ridiculous overabundance of innings (2250+)?

I planned to do this with Koufax.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

There are at least 7 or 8 of you guys who haven't put your teams in the two man band league. Cmon already guys :mad:

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ArtVandelay posted:

There are at least 7 or 8 of you guys who haven't put your teams in the two man band league. Cmon already guys :mad:

Sorry I work for a living but will do it as soon as I get home or maybe I will hold out till you trade me Louie Howard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Scrotos posted:

Sorry I work for a living

lol, as if this has ever stopped you (or me, for that matter) from checking HBD on a regular (read: every 10-15 minutes) basis for TCs and offers. :D

• Locked thread