Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

That train has 60 construction factor, can the assassin at least hunker down on the other side and use it as cover?

edit: Hurr my grammar is atrocious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
That blast should cancel out the night modifier for a couple turns. A beautiful artificial sun.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Jump to behind the train, then run forward at full speed and blow your piloting check so you can skid through several cars. Clearly this is the way to go.

Say, that building the Javelin is near is hardened, right? Can the Javelin still bash through its walls to get inside? 'Cause I'm thinking it'd be a lot easier to bring down said building from the inside - and besides, if you get shot to poo poo the resultant explosion should devastate the building.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

That. Was. Awesome.

Can we have a refinery like that on every map? Because that needs to happen more often.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
MY GOD!!:flame: That explosion was both massive and awesome! :black101:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Residential Building hex 0626 collapses due to shockwave! 1,500,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
Residential Building hex 0627 collapses due to shockwave! 1,500,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
Residential Building hex 0727 collapses due to shockwave! 1,500,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
Residential Building hex 0728 collapses due to shockwave! 1,500,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
Residential Building hex 0628 collapses due to damage! 1,500,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
Residential Building hex 0629 collapses due to damage! 1,500,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
Residential Building hex 0729 collapses due to damage! 1,500,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
Residential Building hex 0730 collapses due to damage! 1,500,000 c-bills in damage sustained!

Avoid damaging residential (blue) buildings! (12,000,000/20,000,000 c-bills in damage sustained)

This part however, was not so :black101:. That was one hell of a way to die though.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

landcollector posted:

MY GOD!!:flame: That explosion was both massive and awesome! :black101:

This part however, was not so :black101:. That was one hell of a way to die though.

they died doing what they loved! Burning to death instantly from a refinery.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

He can just walk right into it, forces a psr against some damage, but the building takes a punch as well, and then enemies shooting at him hit the building as well as him, and light weapons can't get him at all. So get in there, and start shooting up the building, and die gloriously.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Okay, just standing near something red and dying should put you over the edge, but the same can be said about anything blue. I'm looking at you in particular Mr. Train Wrecker. Stand well back, from anything even resembling blue. Right now death is even high up on priorities than causing damage, so long as you're near a Red hex. Move less, don't jump, invite some fire.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I imagined both the Mechwarrior 4 Stackpole Explosion sound effect and the Starfox 64 Smart Bomb detonation sound effect at the same time for that refinery going up.

Taking out the train might be a good idea if possible if only to try and remove evidence of how they arrived.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Axe-man posted:

they died doing what they loved! Burning to death instantly from a refinery.

Given the weather on Tharkad? They probably did love it at least a little. "OH GOD THE AGONY BUT AT LEAST FOR ONCE IN MY loving LIFE I'M NOT FREEZING"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That skyscraper is too tall for you to jump on top of, so just try and jump into the fifth floor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

That skyscraper is too tall for you to jump on top of, so just try and jump into the fifth floor.

You can't jump into a building hex.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Angry_Ed posted:

I imagined both the Mechwarrior 4 Stackpole Explosion sound effect and the Starfox 64 Smart Bomb detonation sound effect at the same time for that refinery going up.

Taking out the train might be a good idea if possible if only to try and remove evidence of how they arrived.

I mentally subbed in the sound from when they blew up the cement mixer on that one episode of Mythbusters mixed with the sound of bomb/artillery tests (which I only know because I live near Aberdeen Proving Grounds). Though I imagine it's one of those explosions you feel in your chest, and that had to be the scariest part of it for whatever civilians weren't killed in the blast.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can't jump into a building hex.

Don't be so boring. Flying jump kick through a picture window. You know it would be cool.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

To be honest, I'm genuinely disappointed the Valkyrie didn't make that 9 to dodge the explosion - now that would've been incredible!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Jesus, I didn't expect an explosion that big. :eek:

Guys, you just made the headlines in every news outlet from Tharkad to New Avalon. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 16, 2011

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Magni posted:

Jesus, I didn't expect an explosion that big. :eek:

Guys, you just made the headlines in every news outlet from Tharkad to New Avalon. :haw:

New Avalon? Something THAT big's getting notice on Strana Mechty!

"In news from the warfront, the scavenger king capital of Tharkad suffered an attack from bandits. Clearly this shows that they are weak and fighting amongst themselves, even as our noble Clans continue to spread justice in the Inner Sphere! Next, in commentary: Freeborn! Merely a waste of resources, or actively dragging down the Clans? Our commentators debate."

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
My favorite part is the giant crater PTN added on the map thanks to that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Can a mech pick up a train car?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I expect that the Lyrans will have absolutely no difficulty believing that this raid is genuine. Massive fireballs should serve as an excellent distraction from Aldo Clovis Lestrade's disappearance - if, indeed, that was part of the original plan!

E: Whoops, got my Lestrades confused.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 19, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Epic. Just.....fantastic.

:golfclap:

Except for the residential destruction, but hopefully that shouldn't hurt the Home Guard very much.

Just a bit more killing of red buildings, and blowing oneself up in smaller, but similarly glorious fireballs, and we'll have a mission that is gloriously successful.

Unlike our last one...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Artificer posted:

Epic. Just.....fantastic.

:golfclap:

Except for the residential destruction, but hopefully that shouldn't hurt the Home Guard very much.

Just a bit more killing of red buildings, and blowing oneself up in smaller, but similarly glorious fireballs, and we'll have a mission that is gloriously successful.

Unlike our last one...

Well, it was pretty glorious. Defiance Industries and Nashan Diversified are sponsoring a miniseries om the DBC (with minimal commercial interruption).

I've been working on the script for Somerset for some time. I've had to neglect my promotional work, sadly.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Well, let's see how that update turned ou-

:stare:

:psyduck:

:wtc:

... Goddrat.

I imagine it might have looked something like this.

I mean, I was expecting some collateral damage if you did blow up the refinery... but I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Calling it now, Valkyrie for MVP. Not sure anyone else is going to be able to top that, even taking into account that it also accidentally caused a shitload of damage to civilian stuff.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

I imagine it might have looked something like this.

Proooobably more like this

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

W.T. Fits posted:

Calling it now, Valkyrie for MVP. Not sure anyone else is going to be able to top that, even taking into account that it also accidentally caused a shitload of damage to civilian stuff.

I can get behind that. The rest of the lance is going to have to do something even more spectacular in order to top the Valkyrie for MVP...

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Knowing the Lyrans, the lives and property of the homeless aren't factored into their economic damage value equations at all.

Hell, we'd be lucky if the lives and property of those with homes are factored in. If they are, they're very cheap. The current price of a human life, according to the US Government, is between $5,000,000 and $8,000,000, depending on which agency you ask. Given that, four or three civilian deaths should have put the crew over their do-not-pass benchmark.

Obviously, the Lyrans figure their sums differently.

Why?
According to the Lyran field manual thing you can say two things about is it's culture. There is class elitism, but at the same time it is a very open and tolerant society and the Lyrans guarantee food, shelter, education and transportation for every citizen (it literally says this is the book). It also says that _most_ Lyrans have at least one year or university education.

It is not House Kurita or something.

Boscrossos
Apr 23, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Meh, they had it coming, living next to a fuel refinery. What kind of urban planning is that? No respect for human lives, I tell you...

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Tharkad Tribune;
"Home Guard unable to stop terrorists from blowing up Refinery, killing thousands."

Duke Aldo Lestrade furious with inept Home Guard response. Claim that the terrorists were targeting his son, who was frequenting a nightclub that was specifically targeted by heimdall terrorists. Duke Lestrade sees higher support then ever. See page 10.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

THE HORRENDOUS THARKAD KABLOOIE

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Affi posted:

Tharkad Tribune;
"Home Guard unable to stop terrorists from blowing up Refinery, killing thousands."

Duke Aldo Lestrade furious with inept Home Guard response. Claim that the terrorists were targeting his son, who was frequenting a nightclub that was specifically targeted by heimdall terrorists. Duke Lestrade sees higher support then ever. See page 10.

Since when did Rupert Murdoch own newspapers in the future?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Trast posted:

Since when did Rupert Murdoch own newspapers in the future?

Rupert Murdoch founded ComStar fyi

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Affi posted:

Rupert Murdoch founded Loki fyi

Close, but you were off a little. And Loki is pretty capable at manipulating the news.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Affi posted:

Tharkad Tribune;

I get the feeling that this will only happen if the residential damage passes the given number.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
OK not to be a fly in the ointment here but who names their organization "Loki"? Loki? The Norse Trickster god? How about just "The Shadowy Organization with Nefarious Intentions" while we're being so transparent? And everyone acts like somehow this guy heading it up is totally on the level? If someone comes up to you and claims to belong to an entity named "Loki" just shoot them in the belly, no questions asked.

Edit: I told you not to jump jet out of that. Even if you'd just shot the building and ignited the vapors from a distance, you might have spared the residentials some damage if your mech didn't go up with the refinery. Whale biologist.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

If someone comes up to you and claims to belong to an entity named "Loki" just shoot them in the belly, no questions asked.

Nobody does that. Loki is extremely covert, they're just the covert terrorist branch of the LIC.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

OK not to be a fly in the ointment here but who names their organization "Loki"? Loki? The Norse Trickster god? How about just "The Shadowy Organization with Nefarious Intentions" while we're being so transparent? And everyone acts like somehow this guy heading it up is totally on the level? If someone comes up to you and claims to belong to an entity named "Loki" just shoot them in the belly, no questions asked.

The Lyran Intelligence Corps has Loki because it is often useful to have a secret bureau full of rabid dogs willing to kill, die, and blow poo poo up for the state. They are supposed to be terrifying and mysterious, and if you shoot one in the belly, a bunch of sociopaths with state sanction will rape your house and burn your family.

The Commonwealth has Heimdall because the LIC has a pack of psychotics on staff, you see?

Unless this timeline is radically different, Duke Lestrade has no direct connection to Loki, but he has the General of the Armies in his pocket and his creepy fingers in many, many pies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:aaaaa:

Well, not really. I knew how big the boom was going to be from messing around on megamek with these fueltanks.

Also: you can voluntarily turn off heat sinks. Turn them off, jump, alpha strike.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Edit: I told you not to jump jet out of that. Even if you'd just shot the building and ignited the vapors from a distance, you might have spared the residentials some damage if your mech didn't go up with the refinery. Whale biologist.

I dunno about that. The refinery was going to go up in flames no matter how they ignited the fuel vapor, creating a similarly sized explosion that would have wiped out those residential buildings as well. The Valkyrie had a clock to die, so taking itself out and contributing to the property damage goals at the same time was the smartest move. The residential building damage was really unfortunate, though.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

I will have you know that SONY is a respectable business...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Technically, Loki started out as a nickname for a covert ops group that didn't exist. It took hundreds of years for them to even get caught and for the Archon to have to admit they were real, and by then the nickname had inertia.

• Locked thread