Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I never even considered the fact that it could be Greedo, I just assumed that it was another Rodian. Is he actually referred to as Greedo in the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I never even considered the fact that it could be Greedo, I just assumed that it was another Rodian. Is he actually referred to as Greedo in the movie?

Yep! It's totally Greedy Greedo.

Also, for all the Attack of the Clones hate, the DELETED SCENES really should've been left in. For one thing, it makes Padme actually have some motivations for her political career.

There's a cut out there, the MagnoliaFan edit, that puts them all back in. And it's free on his page. I put it on as background noise, and was pleasantly surprised at how well he seamed them into the overall plot.

He still didn't fix Yoda's ridiculous fight, but oh well.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

There's a deleted scene where baby Greedo accuses Anakin of cheating in a podrace and a third character (played by Warwick Davis, interestingly enough) literally tells Greedo that if he doesn't change his violent ways, he's going to meet a bad end.

Yeah.

gently caress George Lucas.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Yep! It's totally Greedy Greedo.

Also, for all the Attack of the Clones hate, the DELETED SCENES really should've been left in. For one thing, it makes Padme actually have some motivations for her political career.

There's a cut out there, the MagnoliaFan edit, that puts them all back in. And it's free on his page. I put it on as background noise, and was pleasantly surprised at how well he seamed them into the overall plot.

He still didn't fix Yoda's ridiculous fight, but oh well.

I actually really think the ROTS deleted scenes should have been left in, also. The Rebel Alliance parts played a good role not only in setting up the Rebellion and introducing Mon Mothma, but also helped highlight the ideological split between Anakin and Padme; the parts with Palpatine hinting to Anakin that Obi-Wan and Padme are having an affair (besides being really funny how easily Anakin is able to be manipulated) make it at least a bit more credible why he'd be willing to turn against him so quickly; and dammit, the Yoda on Dagobah scene should never have been cut in the first place and is only like three seconds long anyway.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually really think the ROTS deleted scenes should have been left in, also. The Rebel Alliance parts played a good role not only in setting up the Rebellion and introducing Mon Mothma, but also helped highlight the ideological split between Anakin and Padme; the parts with Palpatine hinting to Anakin that Obi-Wan and Padme are having an affair (besides being really funny how easily Anakin is able to be manipulated) make it at least a bit more credible why he'd be willing to turn against him so quickly; and dammit, the Yoda on Dagobah scene should never have been cut in the first place and is only like three seconds long anyway.

Don't forget about this fantastic scene! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUVHSBy9JM

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
That scene only has one thing going for it: Obiwan and Anakin actually show rather than tell that they have been friends/partners for a long time with the hand signals.

The single biggest thing I don't get about that scene is why Shaak Ti doesn't Force Push (TM) the droids away when help arrives. She's just sitting there with nothing to stop her from flinging the droids (including Grievous) away and joining Anakin and Obiwan. But hurf durf, no lightsaber=no Jedi, I guess.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
is that a pool of blood around her after? Aren't lightsabers supposed to instantly cauterize the wound or was that made up solely to retcon the arm-removal in ANH?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

It's sad that Shaak Ti didn't get featured in the movie, because she has such a cool look going on. Togrutans are definitely one of my favorite Star Wars alien designs.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Scruff McGruff posted:

is that a pool of blood around her after? Aren't lightsabers supposed to instantly cauterize the wound or was that made up solely to retcon the arm-removal in ANH?

It is definitely her cloak.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

The original movies are the only real star wars movies. :colbert:

That being said, I've never been a HUGE star wars fan. I enjoyed the originals, thought the newer ones are alright. So here is what I'd like to know: Why is it so bad that there was a Yoda fight scene? I figure its like in those kung-fu movies where the little old master gets attacked and beats up the bad guys. He's old but still gots the moves!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Because it goes against his character. He is kick arse Jedi Master who knows the force well enough to not need to flip around like a ninja or crack.

He should just be leaning on his cane letting the force be doing all the fighting.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
He is, man. He's not jumping all around the room because of his powerful hind quarters, he's using the force to do that.
If Yoda gets pissed enough to actually fight, he's probably pissed enough to wanna get his hands dirty while doing it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Because if mister Size-Matters-Not pulls out a lightsaber and engages directly, then now we've got direct proof that it does, since we've got reach, physical strength, and so on directly important, since that's an inescapable facet of sword fighting.

If he's just being a Force wizard, then size really doesn't matter because deep understanding of the Force then means that you don't have to be a physical superman.

It isn't movie-ruining or anything to my mind, but it's preferable to have him not engage.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it bad that I think the blooper reels from the prequels are better than the movies themselves?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bash Ironfist posted:

That being said, I've never been a HUGE star wars fan. I enjoyed the originals, thought the newer ones are alright. So here is what I'd like to know: Why is it so bad that there was a Yoda fight scene? I figure its like in those kung-fu movies where the little old master gets attacked and beats up the bad guys. He's old but still gots the moves!

"Wars not make one great."

The whole point of Yoda is that we don't think a goofy little green guy could possibly be the great master jedi, but his strength doesn't reside in "this crude matter." His power comes from wisdom and self-control, not flipping around dervish style. He doesn't have a lightsaber: maybe he sees them as unnecessary, or counterproductive, maybe in the same way that Vader scoffs at the power of the Death Star when compared to that of the Force. And he's training Luke to be able to "face Vader," but he never teaches him anything about lightsabers; the only time Luke even draws a lightsaber on Degobah is in the cave, where the clear lesson is that violence will corrupt him, and make him like unto Vader. And poo poo, in the final film, he suddenly realizes that killing his father and the Emperor would be an empty victory, and the true victory is to refuse, to show compassion and peace, even in the face of death.

I absolutely do think it's movie-ruining. It's childish crap. Unlike the great kung-fu movies where the ancient masters fight, his style is a meaningless mess that shows us nothing about the great philosophical insights of his martial school, just the technical insights of a bunch of people trying to make an empty spectacle.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 15, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

... empty spectacle.

An empty spectacle for an empty audience. Of course Jorge was just going for that "AWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEAAAAH" factor in the movie theater by giving Yoda the saber. I know I heard it in my theater when it came out.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

An empty spectacle for an empty audience. Of course Jorge was just going for that "AWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEAAAAH" factor in the movie theater by giving Yoda the saber. I know I heard it in my theater when it came out.

Especially because he can't just draw it like a normal person, no, he has to use the force to suck it off his belt into his hand. Because he can.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Know which Star Wars movie doesn't have any empty flashy stuff like that?
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor.
The big fight in that movie only has a guy with a sword (made of metal, not light) and Wilford Brimley with a stick that has a dog's head carved into the top.
The only person who shows off is the lady with the ring that turns her into animals, and she dies in a very gruesome way.

(Okay, Wicket shows off by flinging a berry into the air with his sling and catching it in his mouth, but I don't think that's too bad.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bash Ironfist posted:

Why is it so bad that there was a Yoda fight scene? I figure its like in those kung-fu movies where the little old master gets attacked and beats up the bad guys.

What up, actually-liked-flippy-Yoda buddy. :sympathy:

I admit that it's stupid, I'm just better at turning off my brain than the rest of you. At least I didn't cry during ROTS like my dad did. (I wish I was kidding about that last bit.)

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
There's two major problems with the Yoda fight, one in terms of the story arc and one in terms of the mechanics.

The problem with the fight in terms of the overall story is it spoils the Yoda reveal in ESP and cheapens much of what Yoda is teaching - not needing weapons, not flying off the handle, not using the force for brute aggression but for knowledge and insight, etc. Done properly, I think Lucas could have preserved most of the mystique of the OT Yoda while still having a "gee whiz" Yoda fight in the PT. But what actually ended up on the screen was basically the opposite.

The problem in terms of the mechanics of the scene itself is that the fight is simply not well done. It somehow turns force lightning - which in ROTS is holy-crap terrifying - into an ineffective Super Smash Bros special move. It somehow presents the greatest of the Jedi as an ADD gas molecule who can barely manage a draw against the hapless Darth Dracula. It somehow manages to have separate fights between Yoda and a main Sith end indecisively without affecting the plot or any character in any way. (Every OT saber fight is a major turning point in the story and ends with somebody dead or badly wounded.)

I mean, I don't want to just reiterate the RLM criticism. While I think the story would have been better served without a Yoda fight, I honestly believe it could have been done in a way that would have been dignified and believable in the context of the story. But it wasn't done that way.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Flavor Bear posted:

(Okay, Wicket shows off by flinging a berry into the air with his sling and catching it in his mouth, but I don't think that's too bad.)

Might just be vague memories, but I somewhat remember a scene where Wicket mows down a bunch of space uruk-hai with the laser turret on Noa's ship.

Weird other memory about these movies: I remember, as a kid, being very put off by the laser sounds in this little dualogy. Something about the bolts sounding a bit too "pew pew" for my 8 year old tastes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Speaking of Ewoks. Former child actor Eric Walker, who was in 1.1 tv movies and then nothing else ever again is releasing his memoir titled Growing Up On Skywalker Ranch.:ughh: Filming took what, a month at the most? How much growing up can you do over the course of filming one tv movie, and a death scene? Why the gently caress would anybody buy this? Please excuse the very early 2000ish looking website I cited, apparently theforce.net is much too highbrow to acknowledge this.

Edit: I hadn't actually watched the video before posting this, in it he asks for money. In fact he asks for money the same way PBS does, except instead of helping produce quality educational programing, your donation to Eric pays for the expenses of writing a book namely crystal meth expenses. Donate money and you get a digital copy of the book and some other poo poo, and you'll come out of it wishing you had given the money to PBS because a totebag is much more fulfilling than this book could ever be. He also implies there will be a release party you're invited to for pledging $150 or more, and claims celebrities will be there while the video hovers over a picture of Wilford Brimley.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 16, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
It's been said before, but Yoda and Palpatine should have been the Wizards to the Jedi Knight aspect.

They'd be evolved beyond the need for physical combat, like how Yoda specifically talks about how battles don't make you a great warrior. Yoda should've been like this the entire three movies:

Anyone who tries something as blunt as physically attacking him simply finds themselves helpless to this small, mystical being.

But I suppose it would be hard to film a battle of pure willpower without pew pew zzm lightsabers.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I will freely admit to 'enjoying' the Yoda fight scene, in that I giggled like an idiot through the whole thing. As a spectacle it's not bad, and Christopher Lee did a great job pretending he was fighting a little green jumnping bean.

I don't think it's one of those Star Wars killing things on its own. If they had then done something in Ep3 to show Yoda as recognizing the error of his ways and turning away from the whole war, perhaps even going into exile in protest over it, then it could have worked as a character arc for him. With the films as they are, OT Yoda and PT Yoda may as well be different people.

Mister Roboto posted:

For me, this was just about the greatest thing done by any Jedi or Sith through the entire PT. Pretty much a perfect example of what Yoda should have been: Incredibly powerful without needing physical strength and compassionate enough to let his enemy live.

For the record, Yoda can have an advantage in a swordfight, but only if he fights at super close range.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

For me, the biggest problem with the Yoda fight in Ep. 2 is just that there's absolutely no tension. We know nothing happens to Yoda, Obi-Wan or Anakin, because this is a prequel. Dooku is an mortal danger, but it doesn't matter because we just met this dude like ten minutes ago. He's barely a step up from Maul at this point, and we know basically nothing about his character and motivations beyond "Is Christopher Lee" and "Is evil".

So, we basically have a completely pointless fight that we already know the outcome to. On top of that, Yoda's flipping around like a jack-rear end while Christopher Lee desperately trying to look like he's fighting some CGI thing that isn't there. Also, Dooku runs off twirling his mustache while Yoda struggles to lift a rock. A big rock, granted, but come on. He's supposed to be the most powerful Jedi ever at this point. Is it that hard to write an end to the fight where Dooku loses but escapes?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
A better scene would have been Dooku instantly sheath his saber when Yoda came in. It'd subtly show how the physical world means nothing to a Jedi master and Dooku should've tried to bring the whole place down on Anakin and Obi-Wan immediately since it wasn't a winnable fight.

It would've fit the idea of Yoda being far more dangerous than any warrior, and shown Dooku's clever thinking of manipulating of the Jedi way of defending rather than going on the offensive.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 16, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Locutus of Bald posted:

There's a deleted scene where baby Greedo accuses Anakin of cheating in a podrace and a third character (played by Warwick Davis, interestingly enough) literally tells Greedo that if he doesn't change his violent ways, he's going to meet a bad end.

Yeah.

gently caress George Lucas.

Honestly as dumb as it is this isn't really a "gently caress George Lucas" moment imo. He DID cut it, and you might say "Well he probably had to be coaxed" but there were a lot of poo poo no one could ever coax him out of so he saw reason here.

Lot of directors make really dumb deleted scenes. That's why they're deleted.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with the Yoda fight is that, other than when he was loving with Luke, Yoda is a very dignified character. There's nothing dignified about flipping around like an idiot in a fight.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mister Roboto posted:

But I suppose it would be hard to film a battle of pure willpower without pew pew zzm lightsabers.

There's this 80's movie called "Scanners" that did this well. Dismiss the blood effects since it doesn't belong (in a star wars film) but you can clearly see them having a battle of wills. Hell, what the vid doesn't show is that afterwards, the "good" telepath was so powerful he exchanged their minds and gave the badguy the husk of the remaining body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD1NeuADd-s

I would have loved to see a Yoda-Emperor fight where you just see them staring intensely at each other for 5 minutes until one of them collapses and flees.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TheOneTrueKing posted:

Oddly enough, I didn't realize it was popular opinion that Attack was worse than Phantom Menace. Honestly, of the six movies, A New Hope and Phantom Menace are the two I would skip in a marathon but DON'T because... come on... it's a Marathon. You gotta do it right.

It's been mentioned already, but you shouldn't get off that easily. You would skip A New Hope, but watch Attack of the Clones? What...what is wrong with you?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I just told my boss that we need to study Osama Bin Laden's cache of porn because knowing their "art" will give us insight to the way our enemy thinks and operates.

He didn't buy it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

quote:

Thread talking about Yoda fighting

I knew something was up when, in AotC, there were round about five different occasions where one character would turn to the other and say "He might be a Lightsaber Master, but he's no Yoda (wink wink)!"

At these points I was sure that either the Jedi were jerks for making fun of a tiny person, or they were serious and I would be in for a treat.

And I was :smithicide:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

CobiWann posted:

I just told my boss that we need to study Osama Bin Laden's cache of porn because knowing their "art" will give us insight to the way our enemy thinks and operates.

He didn't buy it.

Thrawn 4 Prez 2012

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Mister Roboto posted:

A better scene would have been Dooku instantly sheath his saber when Yoda came in. It'd subtly show how the physical world means nothing to a Jedi master and Dooku should've tried to bring the whole place down on Anakin and Obi-Wan immediately since it wasn't a winnable fight.

It would've fit the idea of Yoda being far more dangerous than any warrior, and shown Dooku's clever thinking of manipulating of the Jedi way of defending rather than going on the offensive.

It's a good idea, but it leads to problems in the plotting of Ep. 3. If Yoda is portrayed as so godlike he doesn't even have to fight, the obvious question becomes "So why didn't he just go kill the Emperor?" Which means you're painted into the corner of having to either 1) have a spazzy Palpatine/Yoda lightsaber fight, 2) try to portray a weaponless and probably visually uninteresting "mental" Palpatine/Yoda fight, or 3) leave a plot hole with Yoda never bothering to try to whack Palpatine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Thrawn 4 Prez 2012

I support this.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Cross-Section posted:

Might just be vague memories, but I somewhat remember a scene where Wicket mows down a bunch of space uruk-hai with the laser turret on Noa's ship.

Nah, it was Teek.
And he didn't really know what he was doing; he was just pressing buttons at random.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Captain von Trapp posted:

It's a good idea, but it leads to problems in the plotting of Ep. 3. If Yoda is portrayed as so godlike he doesn't even have to fight, the obvious question becomes "So why didn't he just go kill the Emperor?" Which means you're painted into the corner of having to either 1) have a spazzy Palpatine/Yoda lightsaber fight, 2) try to portray a weaponless and probably visually uninteresting "mental" Palpatine/Yoda fight, or 3) leave a plot hole with Yoda never bothering to try to whack Palpatine.

I thought the Senate Chambers fight was effective in that way since it showcased their power in a dynamic fashion as they threw around those bumper car things like toys, but without degenerating to the slapstick comedy of Palpatine falling over a table (which actually happened earlier so it just destroys the tone anyways).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Is there any recent news on the live action tv series? I checked Woookieepedia and couldn't find anything recent.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
You missed it. Remember that Paul Reiser show that ran for two episodes a few months ago?
Yep. That was it.

I'm glad it was canceled. It starred Reiser as an over-the-hill Wedge Antilles, and he only did boring poo poo like complain about how grapes with seeds are too much work for a snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Captain von Trapp posted:

It's a good idea, but it leads to problems in the plotting of Ep. 3. If Yoda is portrayed as so godlike he doesn't even have to fight, the obvious question becomes "So why didn't he just go kill the Emperor?"

Because it is the will of the force.