Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Have you thought about investing in a variable height BetterScanning plate? I was about to get one for my Epson 3200, but ultimately I made the decision to sell my MF stuff which I really ended up regretting :(

I have a dedicated 35mm scanner but it's SCSI only and Apple decided that SCSI doesn't exist so I'm kind of hosed and might still buy the BetterScanning plate for 35mm shots :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Reichstag posted:

goon.jpeg :stare:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Martytoof posted:

Have you thought about investing in a variable height BetterScanning plate? I was about to get one for my Epson 3200, but ultimately I made the decision to sell my MF stuff which I really ended up regretting :(

I have a dedicated 35mm scanner but it's SCSI only and Apple decided that SCSI doesn't exist so I'm kind of hosed and might still buy the BetterScanning plate for 35mm shots :smith:

I have, but the plates cost about what my scanner is worth. A Nikon 9000 would be the ideal solution (though at their current inflated prices you could buy a full drumscan setup for the same amount), but it's waaay out of my pricerange, a Minolta Scan Multi Pro is a more reasonable idea, though it'd make my Scan Dual IV obsolete.
e: Aaand they stopped mkaking them for my scanner, fantastic: http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/canon8600F.html

Rated PG-34 posted:

goon.jpeg :stare:

But it's outdoors.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I have an epson v300 which doesnt even do medium format. Ugh I made the worst decision, now I am lusting after scanners. poo poo.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Reichstag posted:

But it's outdoors.

Cant you see him escaping the sunlight by sheltering under a plant?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, Nikon 9k is definitely first on my list of things to buy.

When I win the lottery.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Reichstag posted:

But it's outdoors.

And he's not fooling anyone.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You guys who photograph models or others on rooftops, cliffs, etc. Please be very aware of what you're doing. Tom Bridegroom was a very good friend of mine from high school and he fell from a 4-story rooftop while photographing a model. Trust your gut, if something doesn't seem right, or you're not sure about your setup, change it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

DJExile posted:

You guys who photograph models or others on rooftops, cliffs, etc. Please be very aware of what you're doing. Tom Bridegroom was a very good friend of mine from high school and he fell from a 4-story rooftop while photographing a model. Trust your gut, if something doesn't seem right, or you're not sure about your setup, change it.
I'm sorry. :smith:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Any SF-based goons need to get to the Harvey Milk Photo Center on 50 Scott Street now. They're doing a garage sale; they're selling a ton of old 35mm P&S cameras and darkroom equipment for $1 a pound. I'll post this to a couple other relevant threads too.

Edit:

Don't come today, they just closed on me. They said they'll be back on Tuesday, and they think it'll take a while for this stuff to sell.

I grabbed some 35mm P&Ss and a tank and six reels (two 120 and four 35mm), a weirdass Mavica video camera (gotta find floppies), and an old Kodak 110 camera with film in it for $4.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 15, 2011

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

DJExile posted:

David DuChemin took a nasty spill recently and in a similar way, too - was surprised to see he was in a hospital here in Ottawa.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

DJExile posted:

That sucks to hear, but yea, I'm drat careful when I'm on a rooftop. 3 weeks ago I shot a corpo boss and his solar panels. I made his operations manager spot my back the entire time and kept saying "you got me right?"

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sorry about your friend, but that's just such a bizarre story to me. I can't ever imagine not being aware of my surroundings under those circumstances.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I just keep thinking of that photo of Leibovitz on that roof with the gargoyles with her assistant grabbing her by the shirt as she leans out. Whenever I'm doing something dangerous I have someone spot me, because I tend to get sucked up in the shooting.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

If you really have to shoot hanging off the side of a roof or something close to where you can fall, there are safe ways of doing it. Looking to renting fall protection gear or maybe even climbing gear. Be a professional about your work and not some loving cowboy. No photo is worth your life.

Paragon8 posted:

Just impulse bought a $25 ringflash from these guys -

DIY lighting ringflash

Strobist just linked them so they should be exploding. Looks like an interesting product and $25 in lighting dollars is essentially a cheap bracket or swivel.

Looks pretty chintzy to me. i couldn't see that thing holding up at all unless you do nothing but shoot in a studio.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Haggins posted:

Looks pretty chintzy to me. i couldn't see that thing holding up at all unless you do nothing but shoot in a studio.

eh, it's only $25. I'd rather spend that on something that might get a couple of neat shots rather than invest in a substantially more expensive ringflash set up that isn't part of my major workflow.

DIY flash stuff is awesome and it's cool to see someone actually put a product out like that and then not charge a ridiculous amount for it. I found a place selling "DIY beauty dish kits" for only a little less than an actual beauty dish. I know I'd rather pay $25 for a ring flash mod like that than go through the time and frustration making something comparable.

I'll be sure to post a review when I get to use it!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Reichstag posted:

They should buy my Kiev 60.

What are you asking? The guy I bought my dud from on eBay is really bad about replying to messages (usually takes 2 to get a response) and my road trip is getting closer and closer. Does it have MLU?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 16, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Sorry about your friend, but that's just such a bizarre story to me. I can't ever imagine not being aware of my surroundings under those circumstances.

Yeah it's a wild story to be sure, and I'd always known Tom to be a very responsible guy. Smart as hell too. I'm wondering if he just got caught up in the moment, or just took one step back too many. I don't know if details beyond that news story will be released. I tend to doubt it.

nonanone posted:

I just keep thinking of that photo of Leibovitz on that roof with the gargoyles with her assistant grabbing her by the shirt as she leans out. Whenever I'm doing something dangerous I have someone spot me, because I tend to get sucked up in the shooting.

It's really easy to do. I shoot over the top of the glass in a local hockey rink and in wanting to get a good shot of a guy shooting, or a goalie reacting to it, I'll lose track of where the puck is, and more than a few have come plenty close to giving me a good headache.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

DJExile posted:

Man I'm so sorry to hear that.

I was actually shooting a shamana's ceremony on the top of a mountain the other day. I was backing up and almost took a tumble down the side myself. I was more aware of my surroundings after that.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've nearly walked into ditches before while walking and using an ultra-wide angle lens at the same time. What happens is that the direction you think you're walking in is different from the direction you're actually walking in.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What are you asking? The guy I bought my dud from on eBay is really bad about replying to messages (usually takes 2 to get a response) and my road trip is getting closer and closer. Does it have MLU?

Mine does not have MLU. I recently fixed the frame spacing issues it had myself, I'd gladly run another test roll through if you want. The previous owner flocked the inside to cut out reflections.
Lenses I have: Zeiss Flektogon 50/4, Zeiss Biometar 120/2.8 (1 issue, a set screw inside prevents focusing beyond 15 feet, fixable if you have the gall to disassemble it, fine otherwise), Zeiss Biometar 80/2.8, Volna 80/2.8 (ugly)
Price depends on what you want. I don't have PMs, so email me at barrelbreak at gmail

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

What the hell kind of cameras/lenses did they use to shoot How The West Was Won? Every scene is shot ridiculously wide.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

What the hell kind of cameras/lenses did they use to shoot How The West Was Won? Every scene is shot ridiculously wide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinerama

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Yeah, I just looked that up. It seems so insane, impractical and awesome.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
While reading about Cinerama, I was wondering about the size of an IMAX frame. Turns out it's 69.6mm x 48.5mm, which means that each frame of IMAX film is larger than a 645 medium format frame. :aaaaa:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HPL posted:

While reading about Cinerama, I was wondering about the size of an IMAX frame. Turns out it's 69.6mm x 48.5mm, which means that each frame of IMAX film is larger than a 645 medium format frame. :aaaaa:

I only know this because the IMAX place by where I used to live had this awesome display where parts of the projector loading mechanism were out for everyone to see behind clear plexiglass. The massive reels with huge film just feeding into the ceiling. It was pretty amazing, really.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Everything IMAX is huge, you need to wear what's basically a flak suit when changing the bulb because it's pressurized to the point that if it breaks, the flying glass can seriously injure or kill you. Of course that won't help much when your boss strangles you for breaking a $6000 light bulb ...

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

3D bothers me a bit but I saw Born to be Wild on IMAX recently and it looked stunning. Tsavo National Park on the big screen. :swoon:

I wish I could film everything in IMAX instead of taking photographs, maybe when I 'm a billionaire.

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

OMSI in Portland, OR has an IMAX that the projector is open behind a thick layer of glass that you walk past going to the theater. Its AMAZING HUGE and so are the rolls of film feeding it.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

East Lake posted:

I wish I could film everything in IMAX instead of taking photographs, maybe when I 'm a billionaire.

Someone did pretty much that. In 1992. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraka_(film)

Watch the re-release on blu-ray, it's absolutely loving gorgeous.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I think Baraka was the first Blu-Ray I bought, or Planet Earth, can't remember. The follow up is supposedly releasing this year, but there's almost no news whatsoever about it. Would travel large distances to see it on an IMAX screen.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

dreggory posted:

Someone did pretty much that. In 1992. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraka_(film)

Sort of. Baraka was shot in standard 65mm, where the film runs vertically through the camera. Imax uses 65mm film run sideways through the camera, yielding a much bigger negative. 65mm is still impressive though. It's around 3.4 times the size of Academy 35.

This picture can help give an idea of film sizes. Keep in mind that while it says "70mm", that's technically a projection format, not a camera format.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

nonanone posted:

Ah yeah I know IADT, I've photographed their fashion show before. As it so happens, I live in Ann Arbor (what's up afoolishpianist), and so if you want to go to Necto on Friday (which is gay night) it's a ton of fun. It's only a half hour drive from downtown Detroit, so not bad at all, and I have a car :D. Here's a good place to start looking at places you might want to photograph if you're interested in architecture and awesome old buildings. http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places

Since it's closer to the day now, any chance you're still free/interested? I'm scared and excited. :-D

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Oh yeah, was just going to be getting back to you. :D You should email me at nonanone341 at gmail.

nonanone fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 18, 2011

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Cross-sections (literally) of Leica lenses: http://www.petapixel.com/2011/05/13/cross-section-views-of-leica-lenses/

Anyone know what a 'Leica student' is?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

William T. Hornaday posted:

Anyone know what a 'Leica student' is?

A man who destroys rare items and calls it art.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

atomicthumbs posted:

A man who destroys rare items and calls it art.

Backing up your earlier post, everyone in the Bay Area get to the Harvey Milk center and buy darkroom supplies for $1/pound! I just got a 8-reel tank and 4 unused speed-easels last night for $5!

My Flickr Page! :nws:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From that same blog, and even better than cutting lenses in half:

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/05/18/the-legendary-battle-at-f-stop-ridge/

Easily the coolest thing I've seen this month!

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

From that same blog, and even better than cutting lenses in half:

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/05/18/the-legendary-battle-at-f-stop-ridge/

Easily the coolest thing I've seen this month!

That's like a dorkier version of that Canon camera tag commercial posted a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
Why?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/746006-REG/Hasselblad_70480512_H4D_40_Ferrari_Limited_Edition.html