Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

I know the DZ is a little different but would you guys with G2s/DZs mind elaborating on the issues you're having with CM7? I have a buddy with a G2 on CM6 and I was under the impression that CM7 was running good on the G2 but he's not a techie and would be happy keeping with CM6 if it meant stability.

Given the difficulty with moving between Froyo and Gingerbread ROMs on the G2 (for someone with no knowledge of the process) I don't want to move him to CM7 then him needing to revert without assistance down the road.

Okay so for me I had some problems. LP+ kept force closing every few minutes, gps refused to work, I was getting sub 12 hour battery life and almost a 10%/hr drain at idle with the screen off & down-clocked to under 356mhz. My reception went from pretty decent to loving terrible, wifi toggles wouldn't consistently work. MMS wouldn't work. Oh an after two days I started scoring like 400 quadrant runs while overclocked to 1.5ghz. Don't know what that was all about but it irritated the crap out of me.

On Cm6.1.1 with preshoots latest kernel I get well over two days battery life, routinely score 1800 quadrant scores at stock speeds, mms works not only over data but wifi as well, wifi signal/toggles are strong and I get good reception. Oh and I get almost 0% battery drain at idle. LP+ no longer force closes either.

Edit: If you're looking for a gingerbread rom, the official finalized OTA has just leaked for the G2 located here but there is some discussion as to if it will remove root. XDA user "xboarder" released a nice cleaned up version of the now-two-weeks-ago-leaked version of this from RMK located here I used his stock/cyanogen fusion rom for a while but since it is based on CM7 code it is still broken in some ways that he just couldn't fix so I went back to CM6.1.1. It isn't as pretty as gingerbread but it gets the job done.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For you guys running Gingerbread on a Droid X (or any Moto Droid flavor, I guess):

Ok, so I'm a little slow, and just saw pictures of the new version of Blur. I notice there is a thing called "Profiles". Does that mean it supports different sets of homescreens, like Sense's Scenes?

edit: Wow, looks like it does. That's great.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 13, 2011

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Quoting myself from like six months ago:

tzirean posted:

All right, so I finally got the OTA update installed using these instructions: http://solo.dc3.com/dinc/ thanks to a website that has all the default Incredible .apks for download. Now I'm on step 13:

quote:

13. Copy ClockWork Recovery 2.5.0.5 (PB31IMG).zip to just plain PB31IMG.ZIP on the SD root.

14. (Re)boot into HBOOT and let it apply that (vol-up). It's really fast.

I've done this both with it named PB31IMG.zip and PB31IMG.ZIP. Either way, HBOOT doesn't notice it and just says "no image" in that ultra-quick status screen.

I thought it might be because 2.5.0.5 was the version I already had, but I can't get into Recovery: I just get the Incredible with the red triangle/exclamation icon, and I have to pull the battery. What the hell could I be doing wrong here?

Nothing has changed since. I can use the phone as normal, but I don't have root. I can't get into Recovery, as noted above. I can't root with UnrEVOked, and I can't get it to install ClockWork. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Incredible running stock ROM, if it wasn't clear.

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 14, 2011

scrub
Jul 9, 2002

scrub posted:

WiMAX works for sure, haven't checked if my Airplane mode On/Off breaks WiMAX (it did for me on 7.0.*)

I found this handy page of CM7 fixes:
[CM7 Fixes, Tweaks, and Work-Arounds]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=999822

I'll try MMS and let you know.

I can send MMS (recipient gets it).

I can not get MMS from others.

Not a big deal for me, but good to know in any case.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

tzirean posted:

Nothing has changed since. I can use the phone as normal, but I don't have root. I can't get into Recovery, as noted above. I can't root with UnrEVOked, and I can't get it to install ClockWork. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Incredible running stock ROM, if it wasn't clear.

Ok, just to run through the common problems--

you installed the hboot drivers, you don't have htc sync installed?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Ok, just to run through the common problems--

you installed the hboot drivers, you don't have htc sync installed?

Correct on both. To be clear, the phone was rooted in the first place and that went off without a hitch. I was attempting to use those instructions to install the 11/10 OTA; the OTA installed, but I can't get past that step so I can't get root back. Since the phone worked otherwise and nobody else had seemed to have a problem, I let it be for a while.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I just flashed my Thunderbolt over to BAMF Remix 1.6.3... pretty decent, though now I'm thinking maybe I should just flash a bare ROM and cut out this lame Rosie launcher they have it built with and go for ADW or something like that. I've only ever used a Nook Color before, so I have no idea which contact list, or dialer, or whatever else are the best to use with something like ADW... I know Beautiful widgets is pretty solid for a clock and all that crap, but do any of you maybe have a compiled listing of the better dialers/phonebooks/calendars/etc type poo poo to grab to use in ADW?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Since I installed CM7 it won't sync my Facebook and Twitter accounts to my phone. I will go to accounts and add them, and everything will be fine, but after rebooting the phone it will lose all the contacts from them. Any one know how to fix this?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TheJoker138 posted:

Since I installed CM7 it won't sync my Facebook and Twitter accounts to my phone. I will go to accounts and add them, and everything will be fine, but after rebooting the phone it will lose all the contacts from them. Any one know how to fix this?
Install the apps again. That same thing happened to me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Anyone else burnt out on running custom OSes?

To me, the biggest functionality of a custom OS was the ability to install so many apps on external storage so Android phones no longer felt crippled compared to iPhones in terms of how many apps could be installed at once, but now most apps support SD storage and internal storage is a lot larger than it was a year ago.

I'm having so many issues with CM, from weird random lockups to the keyboard and screen unlock interfaces failing to render on screen, that I really would just wipe it all and put the official firmware on my Nexus One if it didn't mean having to set so much stuff up a second time.

Root is and will always be useful, if only to remove the crapware that carriers install on most phones, but I just don't see where custom OSes are that needed over, say, just having root and a third-party launcher. The community has produced superior desktops, but I feel these community OSes are just unstable and increasingly unnecessary.

At this point, I feel when I get a 4G phone I'll root it and put on Titanium Backup and ADWlauncher, and that's that.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Craptacular! posted:

I am. I got tired of Cm7 on my og droid and ended up putting peter alfonsos stock gb ROM on. Between an overclocked kernel, lpp, and widgesoid... I absolutely don't miss Cm7 at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Honestly after spending some time using the stock G2x, not at all. The myriad improvements in custom ROMs are things I just don't think I could do without. I'll admit that CM7 isn't anywhere as bug-free as CM6 was but it's still not worth living without the notification power widget, the increased battery life, or the myriad little touches that make life easier. No reboot option on the powerdown screen? No lockscreen configuration? No LED notifications? Seriously, I rooted so I could have LED notifications. No battery percentage? No music controls on the lockscreen? No thanks.

Rooting + a different launcher just doesn't cut it.

brosmike
Jun 26, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Honestly after spending some time using the stock G2x, not at all. The myriad improvements in custom ROMs are things I just don't think I could do without.

I agree with this - especially LED notifications and the notification bar controls - but I can definitely understand someone not wanting to have to deal with random crashes and the frequent and arcane updates to their operating system (Even with something like ROM manager you have issues like "Oh man, people shouldn't get version 7.1.3.3.1 if they're using phones X or Y on carrier Z! Sure hope they see the one tweet I made saying that, it'd be a shame if they tried to just use the automatic updater.").

This is what makes me happiest about Android - you can make these awesome changes at the operating system level if you're willing to spend a bit more time maintaining your phone, or you can have something pretty satisfactory with relatively minimal effort.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
CM7 has been improving daily for the G2x. I haven't gotten any random crashes since I flashed it, and it's smoother than ever.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Speaking of problems in custom ROMs, I don't know if it still affects anyone here (it hasn't me), but the wonk has now been exorcised from CM7 on N1s starting with last night's nightly. Here's the guy who fixed it with a brief explanation as to what was causing it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

I'm getting 1 day 22 hours on my mytouch 4g with CM7, I'll never go back to the max-16-hours nightmare that was stock.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

I'm new to android and this whole rooting thing. I get that when I root my phone I basically wipe it, but what about updates? The first post says I shouldn't accept OTA updates, but does that mean every time I update my OS I have to wipe the whole phone again? How often do these updates come out?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

The Grand Judabuddha posted:

I'm new to android and this whole rooting thing. I get that when I root my phone I basically wipe it, but what about updates? The first post says I shouldn't accept OTA updates, but does that mean every time I update my OS I have to wipe the whole phone again? How often do these updates come out?

Rooting itself doesn't wipe the phone, it just gives the user complete control of their phone. Flashing a custom rom does wipe your phone though, updates will no longer come over the air from your carrier so you will have to download them and flash them yourself. Generally you wont have to wipe the phone if your just updating the rom.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Rooting won't typically require you to wipe your phone, but sometimes it might. Some rooting methods involve downgrading to an official rom version that was exploitable. But just rooting alone isn't that useful, you'll almost certainly want to dump a new rom on there as well.

Installing a new rom over stock will require wiping at least once, and good practice is to wipe between major revisions. Don't worry too much about updates, as custom rom updates are nearly ALWAYS faster than official OTA updates, with the only real exceptions being with Honeycomb tablets or with whatever the current dev phone is (right now the Nexus S).

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

So I am pretty new to the Android, and just bought an Inspire. I like the look of it and all, but really want to try and root it. What is the best way to do this?

Also, could we get a new OP or something, since that orginal dude is banned, and it seems a little out of date?

Colt Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 15, 2011

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

peniscurve posted:

So I am pretty new to the Android, and just bought an Inspire. I like the look of it and all, but really want to try and root it. What is the best way to do this?

Also, could we get a new OP or something, since that orginal dude is banned, and it seems a little out of date?

I don't have an Inspire so I haven't done this myself, but when my friend was asking about it I did some research and this seemed like the easiest option.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Whats with all the CM7 hate? My Inc gets a day on it with stock battery and it runs very smoothly. What platforms are you running on that it runs so rough?

Stock battery, bitches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I tried installing G2x CM7 nightly 19, and it just makes everything force close. 18 works well enough though, except for the audio dying out (which would be a bigger concern if I took a lot of calls). I suppose I should try installing it with a full wipe.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

Correct on both. To be clear, the phone was rooted in the first place and that went off without a hitch. I was attempting to use those instructions to install the 11/10 OTA; the OTA installed, but I can't get past that step so I can't get root back. Since the phone worked otherwise and nobody else had seemed to have a problem, I let it be for a while.

I installed z4root. It claims it's giving me temporary root, but Titanium Backup tells me it can't get root privileges, and ROM Manager tells me "an error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!" when I try to flash Clockwork. In both cases, it takes quite a bit longer than usual for them to error out, though; the phone has actually asked me if I want to force close ROM Manager before it finally gives me the error.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Bob A Feet posted:

Whats with all the CM7 hate? My Inc gets a day on it with stock battery and it runs very smoothly. What platforms are you running on that it runs so rough?

Stock battery, bitches.

Yep, it's pretty awesome as long as you don't use it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

soru posted:

Yep, it's pretty awesome as long as you don't use it.

Yeah yeah-- the point I was trying (and didn't) make was that CM7 has given me much better battery life over stock 2.2 Sense of the HTC. CM7 also runs incredibly smooth for me with almost no bugs (only a few FC rarely and no MMS, no deal breakers). I just see hate for it here and I wonder if I'm missing or overlooking something.

I want to be well informed and CM7 is the only ROM I've ever tried. So I want to know its ups and downs from other perspectives, and possibly other good roms as well.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

inpheaux posted:

Rooting won't typically require you to wipe your phone, but sometimes it might. Some rooting methods involve downgrading to an official rom version that was exploitable. But just rooting alone isn't that useful, you'll almost certainly want to dump a new rom on there as well.

Installing a new rom over stock will require wiping at least once, and good practice is to wipe between major revisions. Don't worry too much about updates, as custom rom updates are nearly ALWAYS faster than official OTA updates, with the only real exceptions being with Honeycomb tablets or with whatever the current dev phone is (right now the Nexus S).

Thanks for the info. This is in fact a Nexus S I'm using. All I really want to do is tamper with the Email apk. I was planning on using this guide
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=883032
What steps do I actually have to do just to get write access to that file? I'd rather not have to wipe my phone if I don't have to

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The new CM7 nightly build (number 77) supposedly fixes the netflix no picture issue for G2's. I'm trying it now to see if it works.

EDIT: gently caress yes it works. Guess who's not getting any work done for the reset of the night!

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 16, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thanks for the info. This is in fact a Nexus S I'm using. All I really want to do is tamper with the Email apk. I was planning on using this guide
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=883032
What steps do I actually have to do just to get write access to that file? I'd rather not have to wipe my phone if I don't have to
If you just want to access that file you just need root. I don't know if there's a method for just getting root on a fully patched Gingerbread install though.

Honestly, I'd tell you to just get over it and unlock/wipe the phone. Backup everything you can (SMS/Call log/apps with backup settings) and just do it and you'll never have to do it again. I put it off for a while on my Nexus One and the only thing I regret was not doing it sooner.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah yeah-- the point I was trying (and didn't) make was that CM7 has given me much better battery life over stock 2.2 Sense of the HTC. CM7 also runs incredibly smooth for me with almost no bugs (only a few FC rarely and no MMS, no deal breakers). I just see hate for it here and I wonder if I'm missing or overlooking something.

I want to be well informed and CM7 is the only ROM I've ever tried. So I want to know its ups and downs from other perspectives, and possibly other good roms as well.

CM7 runs on a LOT of different phones and those different phones have different levels of success with it. It's obviously running great on your phone and runs great on my HTC Desire but it does have trouble for other people and other phones.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Latest CM7 nightly fixed the 'sound but no video' error on Netflix for my Inspire. I wasn't planning on doing any work today anyway! :dance:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I just got my first smartphone with a Captivate and already rooted it to installed OCLF. I looked into custom roms and the like but the XDA forums have a ton of things with no real descriptions or reviews. Even in their starting guide they don't have recommendations.

What are generally the benefits of changing the OS/rom? I know some redo the task manager and all of them cut out extra apps.

So far I have rooted my phone, installed quick settings, one click lag fix, titanium backup, and removed the intalled AT&T apps. Used droid explorer to copy my backups onto my pc.

Edit: Just been skimming through the kernels and roms they have listed - seems like most of them do the same thing. I also saw some videos by MobileTechVideos that show off some of the roms. I don't really like the look of Gingerbread which most things are emulating nor the orange/black themes that seem prevalent.

I'm thinking about the speedmod kernel and the cognition rom. Does anyone use these or recommend something else?

I just noticed that cognition rom has its own kernel.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 16, 2011

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

I installed z4root. It claims it's giving me temporary root, but Titanium Backup tells me it can't get root privileges, and ROM Manager tells me "an error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!" when I try to flash Clockwork. In both cases, it takes quite a bit longer than usual for them to error out, though; the phone has actually asked me if I want to force close ROM Manager before it finally gives me the error.

Here's the drat strangest thing. I got frustrated, plugged the phone in, ran UnrEVOked. No dice. Closed it and ran it again. And again. And the fourth time I ran it, it wrote to recovery successfully and rooted the phone; Titanium Backup and ROM Manager both recognize the root and ROM Manager was able to flash the newest Clockwork.

Confused, but absolutely not complaining.

So if I want to play around with ROM Manager, I run a backup in TiB as "backup all user apps + system data," I back up the ROM with ROM Manager, and no matter what, I can always restore my phone to exactly the way it was without having to fix anything or redo any settings?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I am looking at putting phiremod on my Nook Color, just a quick question for anyone who has done it. Can you still use the Nook Library on it? I figure I should be able to do a backup and then restore it after installing phiremod.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

calandryll posted:

I am looking at putting phiremod on my Nook Color, just a quick question for anyone who has done it. Can you still use the Nook Library on it? I figure I should be able to do a backup and then restore it after installing phiremod.

You can always use the Nook app from market. It recently got updated for magazines, so the only thing that it can't do now is the Read To Me books. Which I'm sure will eventually come, too.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Installed the leaked Gingerbred ROM for the Thunderbolt. Only issue seems to be with the back camera that I don't use.

The newer version of Sense is not that bad either. I really like the changes to the app drawer and notification shade. Overall everything feels a bit snappier too.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I haven't kept up with the custom ROM scene in awhile, but is CM7 still a no go on the Droid 2 Global?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I'm having trouble updating CWM on my Nook Color -

I'd like to install the latest beta of CM7, which requires a newer version of CWM than I have. However, I've already wiped everything on my Nook Color so that the only thing I can get to is the CWM recovery screen, and I see no way to update it through the CWM .img I've downloaded. How do I update CWM from here, so I can go about installing the ROM and everything else?

I'd prefer not to use ROM Manager, since I'd have to install a ROM first and I've had nothing but bad luck with that program anyway.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

whatspeakyou posted:

I haven't kept up with the custom ROM scene in awhile, but is CM7 still a no go on the Droid 2 Global?

Unfortunately yes, and it is likely to remain that way forever unless the bootloader is either cracked or Motorola themselves unlock it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

tzirean posted:

I run a backup in TiB as "backup all user apps + system data," I back up the ROM with ROM Manager, and no matter what, I can always restore my phone to exactly the way it was without having to fix anything or redo any settings?

Backing up the rom via rom manager does a complete nandroid, so the titanium backup isn't neccesary after restoring. Also, restoring system data via titanium backup can often cause major issues and isn't recommending, unless it's on the exact same ROM.